ADVERTISEMENT

Big week coming up

BoilerDaddy

All-American
Mar 26, 2009
From a Big Ten standings perspective, the next week is huge with Northwestern at home and Wisconsin on the road.

Northwestern is tied for third and will be tied with Purdue in the loss column with an upset. It’s a game that Purdue should win at home, but Northwestern will be arriving with some confidence having beaten Purdue once already.

The Wisconsin game is huge. Wisconsin is already up by one in the loss column and Purdue doesn’t want that gap to increase. With the possible exception of the visit to Illinois, this is the toughest game remaining on Purdue’s schedule. I would not call it a must win, but a victory would put Purdue in a great position.

True 2 victories this week puts Purdue in a tie for the championship.

Should hose NW @ home. The Light Switch will be on as Loyer usually has a big game following a no show lame game.

Wisky? Morton will likely be used on Klessmit & Essigian when he subs. Time for him to excell against a type of player he can do & has done well against. It will drive me crazy, but CMP might play him 20 minutes in this one, assuming Loyer a possible no show in a physical road environment. Time for Morton to be the hero CMP thinks he is. Even though not a M fan, I give him a better than average chance.

Not sure who on Purdue can handle or slow Storr? I am sure Jones will be first up. Not sure his size can handle Storr.

Last edited:
True 2 victories this week puts Purdue in a tie for the championship. Should hose NW @ home.

Wisky? Morton will likely be used on Klessmit & Essigian when he subs. Time for him to excell against a type of player he can do & has done well against.

Not sure who on Purdue can handle or slow Storr? I am sure Jones will be first up. Not sure his size can handle Storr.

I don't think Storr is the type of player Domask is. I think using a smaller, quicker guy will be effective. He doesn't have the "booty ball" game

Wisky also plays in Lincoln on Thursday night. Not sure if I want Wisky to win or lose that game. If they lose it, they may be more desperate to win at home on Sunday. More important for Purdue to win on Sunday than Nebby winning on Thursday, imho.

Wisky also plays in Lincoln on Thursday night. Not sure if I want Wisky to win or lose that game. If they lose it, they may be more desperate to win at home on Sunday. More important for Purdue to win on Sunday than Nebby winning on Thursday, imho.
If Wisconsin wins at Nebraska, they probably win the conference, Purdue has all ready lost at Lincoln, if Wisky wins then Purdue would have to sweep Wisky to have a chance to win the BT! Root for Nebraska! Going to Madison tied is what we want!

Regardless whether they win or lose in Lincoln, it will be the top 2 teams in the big ten playing on Sunday. That alone is going to make Wisky as fully motivated as possible. I’d rather they lose in Lincoln so Purdue can leave Madison with sole possession of 1st place if they can get 2 wins this week.

From a Big Ten standings perspective, the next week is huge with Northwestern at home and Wisconsin on the road.

Northwestern is tied for third and will be tied with Purdue in the loss column with an upset. It’s a game that Purdue should win at home, but Northwestern will be arriving with some confidence having beaten Purdue once already.

The Wisconsin game is huge. Wisconsin is already up by one in the loss column and Purdue doesn’t want that gap to increase. With the possible exception of the visit to Illinois, this is the toughest game remaining on Purdue’s schedule. I would not call it a must win, but a victory would put Purdue in a great position.
Wisc is very good, but think Purdue will beat them at home and could beat them away with a really good game. You have to beat Wisc because they don't beat themselves. Hopefully, Purdue plays in front early and is able to push it when available. Storrs has been great for them. I think if Purdue plays their A game they can pull it out up there. The Ill. game is one of those that should be tough on senior night. Ill has a lot of variation in their play, but they certainly don't lack on talent. How quickly does Underwood play 5 out and/or go ISO with Domask based upon Mackey AND what will Matt do different knowing that will happen at some point? BTW, haven't seen Domask have the kind of game he had at Purdue lately when I caught Illinois

NW...they will continue to use bodies on Zach wishful for few fouls called, and if called by preventing a basket before bonus and/or Zach only getting one FT at the most. Hope for early bonus so game has Zach going to the line on shooting fouls called as opposed to NW saving baskets by fouling with bodies that are not hurting their offense and Purdue just takes it out. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if early fouls are shooting fouls so their fouls don't save points in possessions. Still does Purdue play a half a body on Boo's right hand and stay on his right side? Opens up a drive a bit more, but can that be worse than him going with his right hand? Just need that backside if Zach challenges Boo to cover their big. Then will their other players be on? You know Brooks Barnhizer will be ready since he wanted to go to Purdue where his dad played. He has really improved.

Reactions: RDUBoiler
Andy Katz had a list of the biggest games on the college slate this week. The Purdue @ Wisconsin game only came in 4th!

1. Duke-Carolina (duh)
2. Tennessee-Kentucky
3. Houston-Kansas

Maybe a little off-topic, but I'm interested in seeing how Rutgers plays at home Wednesday against Penn State. I think Rutgers should win that without much drama, but I also suspect they put a lot of chips in the center of the table against Purdue.

Maybe a little off-topic, but I'm interested in seeing how Rutgers plays at home Wednesday against Penn State. I think Rutgers should win that without much drama, but I also suspect they put a lot of chips in the center of the table against Purdue.
No question. They had to have yesterday to have much of a prayer at the tournament.

Andy Katz had a list of the biggest games on the college slate this week. The Purdue @ Wisconsin game only came in 4th!

1. Duke-Carolina (duh)
2. Tennessee-Kentucky
3. Houston-Kansas

I think that Houston-Kansas game will be ugly. Like a total under 120 ugly.

I think Tennessee wrecks Kentucky, UK almost has to score in transition and Tennessee won't give up points there.

Duke-Carolina will be Duke-Carolina. I don't think either team is all that good, but w.e

Purdue-Wisconsin may actually end up being the most watchable game. I expect a total of 150ish

Reactions: wallyboiler79
Then you must like Houston plus the points too. Cuz for them to win at the Phog it's going to take as ugly a game as they can put out. And they'll win if they succeed.

Reactions: Hausta01
Then you must like Houston plus the points too. Cuz for them to win at the Phog it's going to take as ugly a game as they can put out. And they'll win if they succeed.

I don't know, am thinking the line might end up being Houston -1.5 or so. Don't really want to bet against Kansas at Phog

I don't know, am thinking the line might end up being Houston -1.5 or so. Don't really want to bet against Kansas at Phog
KU will be a 1 or 2 point favorite is my guess. But Chi-boiler is much more in tune on that then I am.

If you ever get points and KU at home, that is a bet I would not pass up!!

KU will be a 1 or 2 point favorite is my guess. But Chi-boiler is much more in tune on that then I am.

The metrics aren't there for Kansas, IMO. Torvik has the game as Houston -7.3, don't know what KenPom has (he is usually closer to the betting line).

No chance KU is a dog unless there's a major injury between now and then.

Reactions: Dryfly88

I think Tennessee wrecks Kentucky, UK almost has to score in transition and Tennessee won't give up points there.

Duke-Carolina will be Duke-Carolina. I don't think either team is all that good, but w.e

Purdue-Wisconsin may actually end up being the most watchable game. I expect a total of 150ish
Duke is overrated—they have not beat anyone to note (Baylor on a neutral court is best win) and I expect UNC to easily win. UNC is good and has the best guard in the country.

UT at UK is interesting…UK is fast and uptempo and can score quick and a lot. UT needs Knecht to score to keep up. Should be a good one.

UH at KU is a good test to see how good UH is. No matter how good or bad KU is, they’re always tough at home and let’s see if UH can shut down the Jayhawks.

Our game is going to have great national exposure with no football…and I have no clue what to expect from Wisconsin. They’ll be coming off a game at Nebraska, who hasn’t lost at home in conference yet. They’ll have one less day of rest than us. Storr is a very tough matchup for us, but edey is for them (of course). Hepburn is a very good on ball defender, so will be a good test for Braden. Wisconsin can play uptempo, so wonder what type of game it’ll be…but either way, Should be a good one!

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Houston @ Texas is the definition of ugly. For one thing, Texas can't get a rebound to save their lives, and the offensive flow is simply not there. 2 guys from each team are useless on offense. They don't even want to touch the ball and when they do they panic and have to give it back to Asmas/Hunter or Cryer/Shead immediately.

Houston @ Texas is the definition of ugly. For one thing, Texas can't get a rebound to save their lives, and the offensive flow is simply not there. 2 guys from each team are useless on offense. They don't even want to touch the ball and when they do they panic and have to give it back to Asmas/Hunter or Cryer/Shead immediately.
Houston is very good. I feel like there is separation between the top three of UConn, Purdue, and Houston and everyone else. UNC is coming on strong, but not quite on the level of the top 3.

Reactions: DrEss

Texas does nothing to help Abmas get good looks

Houston is very good. I feel like there is separation between the top three of UConn, Purdue, and Houston and everyone else. UNC is coming on strong, but not quite on the level of the top 3.
They’re good but not deep…I wonder what they’d look like if their front court got in foul trouble vs Zach. Also, if they go into the Phog and win, I will be a believer!

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
They’re good but not deep…I wonder what they’d look like if their front court got in foul trouble vs Zach. Also, if they go into the Phog and win, I will be a believer!

And the front court isn't very big. 6'8" is and about 230 is what all 3 of their bigs are. They aren't really rim protectors but are very active on the glass.

I've watched Houston 3 complete games now against good competition. I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be. If we are moving the ball and running offense like we are capable of, I like our chances on a neutral court. Their offense if awful and hard to watch. I think we out score them.
**one caveat** if they are allowed to foul and not get called, that changes everything for them. They will just ramp up the pressure even more and make it hard to run any offense.

Regardless whether they win or lose in Lincoln, it will be the top 2 teams in the big ten playing on Sunday. That alone is going to make Wisky as fully motivated as possible. I’d rather they lose in Lincoln so Purdue can leave Madison with sole possession of 1st place if they can get 2 wins this week.
Just to add, I just noticed that Nebraska plays in Champaign on Sunday night, so they really need to win their Thursday home game.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I've watched Houston 3 complete games now against good competition. I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be. If we are moving the ball and running offense like we are capable of, I like our chances on a neutral court. Their offense if awful and hard to watch. I think we out score them.
**one caveat** if they are allowed to foul and not get called, that changes everything for them. They will just ramp up the pressure even more and make it hard to run any offense.
So their defense would fit in nicely with the B1G? 😂 well at least Rutgers and NW

Reactions: Dryfly88
And the front court isn't very big. 6'8" is and about 230 is what all 3 of their bigs are. They aren't really rim protectors but are very active on the glass.
Very, very physical and definitely speed you up. Would love to see the matchup of our backcourt vs theirs. Shead is one of the best all around guards in the country.

Very, very physical and definitely speed you up. Would love to see the matchup of our backcourt vs theirs. Shead is one of the best all around guards in the country.
He is a very good guard and so is Cryer. But man, after that their offense if just bad. Very athletic though, so if allowed to play physical they would be a force against anyone. Really looking forward to the KU game this weekend.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Another source of UH’s offense would come as a result of their offensive rebounding. They out rebounded UT 47-36 and 15-8 on the offensive glass.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
So their defense would fit in nicely with the B1G? 😂 well at least Rutgers and NW
Sampson has ALWAYS been known as a defensive coach...well at least going back to when maybe Purdue played him... which I think was as early as when he was at Oklahoma.

Sampson has ALWAYS been known as a defensive coach...well at least going back to when maybe Purdue played him... which I think was as early as when he was at Oklahoma.

Goes back to Sampson's 2nd year @ Oklahoma. Purdue (under Gene Keady) had a home/home in 95 and 96. And of course finished (to be continued?) with Sampson's brief stint @ Indiana.

Keady and Sampson faced off in the post-season too. They met in the second round of the WEST Region in the 2000 NCAA Tournament where #6-seed Purdue knocked out #3-seed Oklahoma, which was led by Eduardo Najera. You definitely had to bring the hard hat when those two teams got together. Haha.

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
Goes back to Sampson's 2nd year @ Oklahoma. Purdue (under Gene Keady) had a home/home in 95 and 96. And of course finished (to be continued?) with Sampson's brief stint @ Indiana.

Keady and Sampson faced off in the post-season too. They met in the second round of the WEST Region in the 2000 NCAA Tournament where #6-seed Purdue knocked out #3-seed Oklahoma, which was led by Eduardo Najera. You definitely had to bring the hard hat when those two teams got together. Haha.
When a team is noted as a defensive team that hard hat many times is needed. Thanks for the specifics. I know Keady had a lot of respect for his D as well years ago

1. Duke-Carolina (duh)
2. Tennessee-Kentucky
3. Houston-Kansas

Guess NC was looking ahead to Duke, loses on the road to lowly GT.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT