ADVERTISEMENT

Big Dog or Biggie..

*4purdue*

All-American
May 6, 2008
Can't believe I'm actually thinking this. Big Dog is the best player I've ever seen at Purdue & it's not even close... at least I thought. Biggie is quickly putting his name in that conversation. Considering he's only a soph. If he comes back next year, I think there could be a comparison between the 2.

Caleb has a long way to go to get into that class.
Glenn was outstanding as a soph, but made a huge jump his jr. year. Ironically, both had the same problem as sophomores.... turning the ball over. I agree, Glenn was much more of a scoring machine, but Biggie is a much better rebounder than Glenn ever was. Caleb is only a sophomore & a year younger at that.... He would probably be NPOY favorite if he comes back.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
agreed-if Caleb comes back he's in the National Player of the year conversation. He is the best re ounder I've seen in a Boiler uniform. I can remember watching games going back to the 1986 season. Could get some national accolades if he keeps it up
I believe Chuckie White may have been the last Boiler to lead the league in rebounding.

Glenn was outstanding as a soph, but made a huge jump his jr. year. Ironically, both had the same problem as sophomores.... turning the ball over. I agree, Glenn was much more of a scoring machine, but Biggie is a much better rebounder than Glenn ever was. Caleb is only a sophomore & a year younger at that.... He would probably be NPOY favorite if he comes back.

Let's wait and see if Caleb can dominate the Big Ten before we start putting him anywhere near Glenn Robinson. Big Dog could drop 30 on the best teams we played. Let's see Caleb average 20 and 10 in the conference season.

G-Rob averaged 30 and 10 his junior year.

G-Rob averaged 27.2 pts and 9.5 rebs in 2 seasons at Purdue. On purely a statistical basis, that's elite in both categories, but those stats still don't do him justice. You had to have seen him T-bag Ostertag in the NCAA tournament to really understand. He was a once in a generation-type player.

"Comparisons are odious," Evelyn Waugh said. Was G-Rob as good as Joe Barry Carroll? JBC as good as Rick Mount? Mount as good as Wooden?

All were great on their own terms. So is Biggie. No way I want to diminish him in comparison to other great-but-completely-different players. I am glad that we have him.

Can't believe I'm actually thinking this. Big Dog is the best player I've ever seen at Purdue & it's not even close... at least I thought. Biggie is quickly putting his name in that conversation. Considering he's only a soph. If he comes back next year, I think there could be a comparison between the 2.

come on, now. Pump the breaks!

Love what Biggie is doing this year though

G-Rob averaged 27.2 pts and 9.5 rebs in 2 seasons at Purdue. On purely a statistical basis, that's elite in both categories, but those stats still don't do him justice. You had to have seen him T-bag Ostertag in the NCAA tournament to really understand. He was a once in a generation-type player.
Seen him T-bag Ostertag live in Knoxville. All of the duke fans in the stands knew they were beat. If it wasn't for the unfortunate wrestling match where Grob hurt his back...
Regardless he was the best college player that I have ever seen. No one could dominate the game like him. He went 1 on 5 against the "fab five" more than once and won. He was one bad mother!!!

Not only did G-Rob average 30 & 10 his JR year, but it was against arguably one of the most loaded B!Gs of all time (Finley, Leonard, Fab 4, Henderson, Bailey, etc). Closest I've seen to sheer dominance like that is Durant late in his FR year. Robinson was not only dominate, but simply fun to watch. He dunked a lot. In the NBA, he seemed to just settle for jump shots. In college, he'd dunk at will.

Reactions: BleedinGold
I was the same year as Big Dog. I've never seen anyone better. However, similar to the same way we tend to only remember Brees as an upperclassman and forget his 20 INTs his sophomore year, I think we also tend to only remember the amazing junior year of GR versus his sophomore year, which while great wasn't as nearly dominating (and as someone mentioned fairly turnover prone). At this point I would still say sophomore Big Dog >> sophomore Biggie. BUT, if Biggie continues to improve and stays around another year (doubtful IMO) AND makes a similar leap from So to Jr like he did this year, he would definitely be the most dominant player we've had since Big Dog 93-94. But I still don't see him getting to that super elite level. But it's a fun topic to think about.

I was a Super Sr for Big Dog's Jr year and had great lower level student section seats. As others have said, GRob was one of the best college players ever. Hands down.

Biggie starting to show some ability to take games over, but he needs to be able to do that against elite competition (like he did against ND), not teams like Norfolk State.

Painter needs to be selling the hell out of these performances on the recruiting trail and trying to sign the next Biggie.

Reactions: *4purdue*
Love what Biggie is doing but it's Big Dog without question. When you had to have that last bucket to win or lose you gave the ball to your 6'8" point forward and watched win it. Don't forget the other 28 points, 10 boards, 2 blocks, 3 steals, 8 deflections, 3 assists, 9 hustle plays, 4 intimidating/inspiring screams immediately followed by big "I'm having a blast" smiles along the way. Loved watching that guy play ball. Biggie is heading the right way.

Reactions: punaj and cprh9u
Trolls are going to be on here shortly to tell you guys Robinson wasn't top 50 in college lol. They're special they really are

Reactions: Dakota Girl
"Comparisons are odious," Evelyn Waugh said. Was G-Rob as good as Joe Barry Carroll? JBC as good as Rick Mount? Mount as good as Wooden?

All were great on their own terms. So is Biggie. No way I want to diminish him in comparison to other great-but-completely-different players. I am glad that we have him.
Fire Evelyn Waugh and his feeble pen!

I loved it when Big Dog would dunk over someone and just stare them down. I don't remember him really being much of a trash talker or getting into many altercations but he could put the fear of God into opponents with that stare down.
I don't think that Biggie is on Big Dog's level yet as a player but he seems to have that "mean streak" or attitude about him that shows you that he does not want to lose.
As long as my mind is right I will never forget that stare

I loved it when Big Dog would dunk over someone and just stare them down. I don't remember him really being much of a trash talker or getting into many altercations but he could put the fear of God into opponents with that stare down.
I don't think that Biggie is on Big Dog's level yet as a player but he seems to have that "mean streak" or attitude about him that shows you that he does not want to lose.
As long as my mind is right I will never forget that stare

I was there. Seen it in person. It was awesome!

Awesome! Unfortunately, this is one of the few Purdue NCAA tournament games I missed and have just caught a couple of highlights here and there. Over the holiday, I am planning to watch it in its entirety through the wonders of modern technology.

Reactions: Feace
G-Rob averaged 30 and 10 his junior year.
If everyone would read my OP... I clearly stated "IF HE COMES BACK FOR HIS JUNIOR YEAR HE WOULD BE IN THE CONVERSATION" Again, Big Dog is the best player ever to wear a Purdue uniform, but if Biggie comes back next year, I could see him averaging 25 & 15. He may average 15 rb's this year.

Caleb is a good player, but against Athletic competition with length struggles more.

Big Dog is arguably the best college basketball player anybody has ever seen....so it's not even close.
I agree, he was the best. I was there when he dropped 49 on Illinois to win the B1G outright... but he wasn't the best his soph. year, he was very good, much like Biggie. I think it was SW Mizzu state that held him to single digits his soph. year. If Biggie comes back, I think there would be a comparison.

How can we ever get tired of watching that play?

Big dog's talent wasn't generational. It was institutional. As in Purdue likely will never have another player like him.

I'm pretty sure he's the last player from a major conference to lead the nation in scoring.

Biggie gets two more boards a game than dog did. (And that delta will likely come down in b10 play)
But big dog gets 12 more ppg. ( and that delta will likely increase with b10 play)

No contest, although it is exciting thinking about what biggie could do next year.

Robinson is one of the best players in conference history, not just purdue. Not even close.

Biggie is a heck of a player and well on his way to being in the conversation for NPOY (prolly a long shot to win it though). Who was the last boiler to be in the conversation? I don't recall if Hummel/Moore/JJJ ever got this kind of national attention. Maybe it was the Big Dog.

Not even close! Big Dog was so much more athletic.

Biggie is a heck of a player and well on his way to being in the conversation for NPOY (prolly a long shot to win it though). Who was the last boiler to be in the conversation? I don't recall if Hummel/Moore/JJJ ever got this kind of national attention. Maybe it was the Big Dog.

JJ was an all-American, so he was at least in the conversation.

I looked it up and jimmer won it that year.

Robinson is one of the best players in conference history, not just purdue. Not even close.
I've never seen anyone get double and triple teamed like he did and just pull up and shoot over everyone. He looked like he was from a different planet. If you never got to watch him, watch this game.

Reactions: klmLB
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT