ADVERTISEMENT

Beards Postgame Comment

Yeah. I can be objective and admit there were probably a couple calls that went our way. Jaden trucking a guy in the lane while dishing to Morton for a 3-pointer comes to mind. But there were just as many no-calls on Texas. Purdue just doesn't play physical in-your-shorts defense and Texas did not take the ball to the basket very much. Them settling for jump shot after jump shot during their 10 minute drought was the difference and is what Beard should be kicking himself about.

The one with JI knocking down Carr could have been - thought for sure DJ was going to wave that off.....sometimes, you get a break....Allen could have fouled out on a charge where he may not have been set as well. The more assertive team usually gets the close ones - it's human nature at times.

Play in question......still nice shot from Ethan Morton....as I look at it again, maybe DJ looked away and missed it because he has primary responsibility on the shooter in the corner....official past the baseline has the call I think but nothing....c'est la vie.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
The one with JI knocking down Carr could have been - thought for sure DJ was going to wave that off.....sometimes, you get a break....Allen could have fouled out on a charge where he may not have been set as well. The more assertive team usually gets the close ones - it's human nature at times.

Play in question......still nice shot from Ethan Morton....as I look at it again, maybe DJ looked away and missed it because he has primary responsibility on the shooter in the corner....official past the baseline has the call I think but nothing....c'est la vie.

giphy.gif
Thanks for bringing the gif.
I only brought this play up because I was scratching my head over what missed calls there might have been on Purdue. I think it says something that this one singular play stood out as the exception. Defensively there just wasn't much in the way of slapping, bumping, or grabbing. And again, the key was that Texas was passive on offense for long stretches of the game. Otherwise, they'd have likely been at the line 20 or 30 times.

Seemed like he really wanted to blame the FT disparity. I’ve seen that a lot recently, and obviously I’m biased but I don’t get it.

If you play that physical of defense against a really big team shouldn’t you expect to get called for a lot of fouls? We’ve been there in the past so I guess I am used to it.
I assumed fouling was their strategy the whole game. They knew Purdue was a terrible FT shooting team, so why not go the hack-a-shaq route? But don't be surprised then with the FT disparity. It did become obvious at one point the refs started to call some makeup fouls against us.

The B10 style of play is to foul early and often and dare the refs to keep blowing the whistle.

In the tourney, these refs are calling it like they see it. You can't penalize Edey for being big nor can you give his defender an advantage because he's small.

This will work well against St. Pete.

How about the hip/butt check of Trevion that left him walking funny for a couple minutes. They reviewed it and the 'expert' official said there was no flagrant but it could have easily been called a player control foul in live action.

Thanks for bringing the gif.
I only brought this play up because I was scratching my head over what missed calls there might have been on Purdue. I think it says something that this one singular play stood out as the exception. Defensively there just wasn't much in the way of slapping, bumping, or grabbing. And again, the key was that Texas was passive on offense for long stretches of the game. Otherwise, they'd have likely been at the line 20 or 30 times.
It’s insane how fast JI is dribbling the ball. Literally a one man fast break.

Not sure we actually shot that good because I thought we missed to many fronts of 1 and 1s. If you count that as two misses (which it essentially is) that brings the percentage down more.
I did not go back and check the first half, but there were no misses on front ends in the second half since fouls 7,8, and 9 were all 2 shot fouls.

The B10 style of play is to foul early and often and dare the refs to keep blowing the whistle.

In the tourney, these refs are calling it like they see it. You can't penalize Edey for being big nor can you give his defender an advantage because he's small.

Except the refs in the Illinois and Wisconsin games were pretty much the same we've seen all year. If we get that crap, we'll have to grind it out.

I hate games were the bigs get killed, but they call hand checks on the perimeter-that could be our future.

Last edited:
Not sure we actually shot that good because I thought we missed to many fronts of 1 and 1s. If you count that as two misses (which it essentially is) that brings the percentage down more.
We actually only missed 1. Morton in the first half. We just flat out missed a lot of FTs in general, most by Edey. The 6 1-and-1 "opportunities" were as follows:

6:08 Hunter 2-2 (not sure if it was a shooting foul)
5:41 Morton 0-1
3:32 shooting foul as Ivey missed 1st, made 2nd

14:14 Ivey Shooting foul, missed 1st, made 2nd
12:25 Ivey 2-2 (not sure if it was a shooting foul)
11:58 Edey 2-2 (probably a shooting foul)

The other interesting thing about the FT disparity was that we had a TON of and-1 opportunities roll off the rim. We make those baskets, then we only get 1 FT, and probably end up winning the game going away and not needing those late game fouls which added to the numbers.

The other thing that added up the numbers is that out of the 12 fouls before the bonus kicks in at all, we took 14 free throws. Half were shooting fouls and 2 of them were on 3-point attempts. One of the 12 was an offensive foul, so only 5 fouls were simple floor fouls.

The refs weren’t the reason we won nor would they have been the reason if we lost. With that being said I do think Edey got hacked but no fouls called. He seemed to get frustrated. The good news is Williams delivered big time

The refs weren’t the reason we won nor would they have been the reason if we lost. With that being said I do think Edey got hacked but no fouls called. He seemed to get frustrated. The good news is Williams delivered big time
Edey was very frustrated. I was surprised when CMP put him back in during one spot in the 2nd half but they ran a play for him and he got fouled. I think he made them both. He was getting beat up a lot, and he also got his shots blocked a lot. The game was a little too quick for him. Plus nothing was going down for him.

Carr extended his off arm, pushing the defender away, almost every time he dribbled the ball. They never called it.
The fuzzy haired substitute guard was pushing and trying to be physical with everyone he guarded. Got away with one too.
They obviously watched plenty of our games and had an idea of how to beat us.
Just weren't good enough. :)

What Beard is missing here is the relationship between fouls and free throws. Purdue committed 16 fouls and Texas shot 12 free throws. That's because four of the first six in each half were non-shooting fouls.

In contrast, Texas committed 29 fouls which resulted in 46 free throws. Why? In the first half, four of of the first six Texas fouls were shooting fouls (including two on three point shots). So, we shot 10 free throws on the first six Texas fouls while Texas only shot four free throws on our first six fouls. It was a little more even in he second half as Purdue had four free throws on Texas' first six fouls while Texas only shot three (one was an and-1) on our first six.

In addition, Edey was fouled several times as he missed close in shots. Had he made those, he would have gotten half the number of attempts on those particular fouls.

So, focusing on just the shooting differential is misleading. Yes, Texas committed more than twice as many fouls, but six were in the last four minutes (Purdue committed only one in the last four minutes), and as others have pointed out, Purdue put itself in position to get fouled by either going down low or having Ivey drive.

What Beard is missing here is the relationship between fouls and free throws. Purdue committed 16 fouls and Texas shot 12 free throws. That's because four of the first six in each half were non-shooting fouls.

In contrast, Texas committed 29 fouls which resulted in 46 free throws. Why? In the first half, four of of the first six Texas fouls were shooting fouls (including two on three point shots). So, we shot 10 free throws on the first six Texas fouls while Texas only shot four free throws on our first six fouls. It was a little more even in he second half as Purdue had four free throws on Texas' first six fouls while Texas only shot three (one was an and-1) on our first six.

In addition, Edey was fouled several times as he missed close in shots. Had he made those, he would have gotten half the number of attempts on those particular fouls.

So, focusing on just the shooting differential is misleading. Yes, Texas committed more than twice as many fouls, but six were in the last four minutes (Purdue committed only one in the last four minutes), and as others have pointed out, Purdue put itself in position to get fouled by either going down low or having Ivey drive.
not to mention we were in the double bonus with more than 10 minutes left in the game.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Edey was very frustrated. I was surprised when CMP put him back in during one spot in the 2nd half but they ran a play for him and he got fouled. I think he made them both. He was getting beat up a lot, and he also got his shots blocked a lot. The game was a little too quick for him. Plus nothing was going down for him.
I know it's usually not in the physiological makeup for a 7'4 guy, but Edey really needs to work on his explosiveness and ability to get off the floor in the off-season.

Reactions: DrEss
We actually only missed 1. Morton in the first half. We just flat out missed a lot of FTs in general, most by Edey. The 6 1-and-1 "opportunities" were as follows:

6:08 Hunter 2-2 (not sure if it was a shooting foul)
5:41 Morton 0-1
3:32 shooting foul as Ivey missed 1st, made 2nd

14:14 Ivey Shooting foul, missed 1st, made 2nd
12:25 Ivey 2-2 (not sure if it was a shooting foul)
11:58 Edey 2-2 (probably a shooting foul)

Then my memory wasn't that good. All the FT misses this year start to run together.

This is why I am sold Zach comes back for another season. He did those things in the U19 games but I also think he is held or hacked so much in the B1G that can't move as freely and it has become 'habit'.
I don't think there's much chance he doesn't come back. He's got a lot of development needed to play in the NBA.

This post didn't age well... looks like we are stuck with B1G officiating thanks to Beard's whining.

• Wow

giphy.gif
Just remembered Cunningham undercutting Tre on a defensive rebound, causing him to travel. Definitely another missed foul call.

Just remembered Cunningham undercutting Tre on a defensive rebound, causing him to travel. Definitely another missed foul call.
Looked like he could have but it wasn't a very good replay. CBS/TBS/whatever's coverage was pretty poor throughout. They missed both of our post-basket inbounds turnovers because they had to put the camera on the guy who made the shot. Not even a replay of either one.

Looked like he could have but it wasn't a very good replay. CBS/TBS/whatever's coverage was pretty poor throughout. They missed both of our post-basket inbounds turnovers because they had to put the camera on the guy who made the shot. Not even a replay of either one.
This drives me up a wall.

I don't give a FLIP about the guy who just made the shot. I saw the shot. If I want to see it again, I'll grab my remote and hit the "replay" button.

I don't give a FAT RAT'S @SS about the crowd, the shooter's momma, the cheerleaders, or anything else, I WANT TO SEE THE D@MN GAME.

There. Rant over. (For now.)

This drives me up a wall.

I don't give a FLIP about the guy who just made the shot. I saw the shot. If I want to see it again, I'll grab my remote and hit the "replay" button.

I don't give a FAT RAT'S @SS about the crowd, the shooter's momma, the cheerleaders, or anything else, I WANT TO SEE THE D@MN GAME.

There. Rant over. (For now.)
What if they're UCLA cheerleaders?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT