ADVERTISEMENT

Victim Mentality

Steve83

True Freshman
Jan 30, 2003
I’m really not that concerned about losing to OSU. On the road, target on our backs, emotional game for them after losing their coach, etc. what I have been concerned about for some time is the constant complaining to the referees about calls. I know I’m old but that used to be an automatic technical foul. Now players, on all teams do it routinely. And I hate to say it but our guys seem to do it more than average. Painter once said in the “I don’t care if they foul you” time out speech a couple of seasons that basketball was a physical game and you have to put up with being fouled. I think looking to get fouled and thinking for the next few minutes that a foul should have been called when it wasn’t just leads to a victim mentality. Maybe Painter should repeat that speech. Often.

I’m really not that concerned about losing to OSU. On the road, target on our backs, emotional game for them after losing their coach, etc. what I have been concerned about for some time is the constant complaining to the referees about calls. I know I’m old but that used to be an automatic technical foul. Now players, on all teams do it routinely. And I hate to say it but our guys seem to do it more than average. Painter once said in the “I don’t care if they foul you” time out speech a couple of seasons that basketball was a physical game and you have to put up with being fouled. I think looking to get fouled and thinking for the next few minutes that a foul should have been called when it wasn’t just leads to a victim mentality. Maybe Painter should repeat that speech. Often.
Good luck. Even some of my 8 to 10 yo mouth the refs. Bunch of babies.

• Haha
Reactions: tjreese
And the pros are the worst. LeBron, Draymond, PG, etc… the refs should T em up the first time they start whining and get control of the game.

I agree with most of this but there’s a bit of a bait and switch that happens. They called games in Hawaii and some of our neutral court games more straight down the line. We all know the shit show in the B1G but seems like officials in March can get caught up in being part of the Cinderella story.

I can't find it but Matt is talking to Haas in the huddle and Hass is being fouled and complaining about it(which was true). This is close- I don't care if they foul you, get the ball!

I agree with most of this but there’s a bit of a bait and switch that happens. They called games in Hawaii and some of our neutral court games more straight down the line. We all know the shit show in the B1G but seems like officials in March can get caught up in being part of the Cinderella story.
Not sure we want some Big East game refs either. The clock increases the pace "inside half court" and so you have a lot of bodies moving at the same time with fouling going on at the same time and refs miss a lot. Sometimes if Purdue is really deliberate in looking inside it allows the ref isolate a bit on the D on Zach which may produce a foul. Does appear that maybe more fouls are called on Zach early taking him out after Collin's discussion on "FT differential".

Their interim coach looked a little foolish with all the getting on his knees and hanging his head and shit. One game dude
Izzo says hello.... Seriously though, there are a lot of coaches that are very animated on the sideline. He was pretty tame compared to lets say, Bruce Pearl or Shaka.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT