ADVERTISEMENT

Beards Postgame Comment

depthcharge623

Sophomore
Dec 31, 2013
Seemed like he really wanted to blame the FT disparity. I’ve seen that a lot recently, and obviously I’m biased but I don’t get it.

If you play that physical of defense against a really big team shouldn’t you expect to get called for a lot of fouls? We’ve been there in the past so I guess I am used to it.

Seemed like he really wanted to blame the FT disparity. I’ve seen that a lot recently, and obviously I’m biased but I don’t get it.

If you play that physical of defense against a really big team shouldn’t you expect to get called for a lot of fouls? We’ve been there in the past so I guess I am used to it.

even the Exponent called it in their preview:

“The Longhorns struggle the most, however, with fouling. In one of the most physical conferences, the Big 12, Texas team led the conference in comitting fouls.”

They were just following the script of a lot of our opponents. Foul at a very high level and assume the refs will not call them all. Frankly, that works in the B1G. We play primarily from the post and our big guys are near impossible to stop without fouling. On top of that, Texas plays as smothering a man to man D as we've seen this year. Those two styles lead to a significant discrepancy in fouls. In fact, once we got into the double bonus in the second half, the refs swallowed their whistles. We should have shot 50+ FTs. So, to a degree, his strategy worked, as Texas was within a possession in the last minute. Beard knows what's up. It's just lazy and kinda weak to bring it up as an excuse in the post game presser.

I was worried in the first few minutes the way the game was being called. It almost seemed like the refs were gonna let them reach in and slap our arms all game. Thankfully the refs cleaned things up a little and started calling some of that.

I think Texas fouled Edey 3 times on our first two possessions and we got no calls. The level of aggressiveness that were allowed to get away with early effectively took Edey out of the game. Which as is pointed out above, must have been part of their plan.

I was worried in the first few minutes the way the game was being called. It almost seemed like the refs were gonna let them reach in and slap our arms all game. Thankfully the refs cleaned things up a little and started calling some of that.

I think Texas fouled Edey 3 times on our first two possessions and we got no calls. The level of aggressiveness that were allowed to get away with early effectively took Edey out of the game. Which as is pointed out above, must have been part of their plan.

and that part of the plan ultimately backfired - enter the Big Cat.

Still - Texas had it to a one-possession game with over a minute left as pointed out.

Just talking to a friend about his. These coaches recruit specific types of players for their game; when they run into a team that doesn't fit well against how they play, they want to change the rules. Let them get a big or two on their squad, then they won't have to play hack-a-shak and complain when the refs call 50% or less of the fouls.

If the B1G officials actually did their job, it would not be any sort of (alleged) anomaly.

There was not a foul on Texas last night that was not legit, and, there were a ton that were ignored or overlooked still!

They knew that they had no chance other than by doing what they did...Houston did the exact same thing against Illinois...for the same reason(s).

It is easy to look for an excuse and that was the most obvious, but, it was not anything that Purdue should be faulted for in any way, or, why Texas lost the game.

They were just following the script of a lot of our opponents. Foul at a very high level and assume the refs will not call them all. Frankly, that works in the B1G. We play primarily from the post and our big guys are near impossible to stop without fouling. On top of that, Texas plays as smothering a man to man D as we've seen this year. Those two styles lead to a significant discrepancy in fouls. In fact, once we got into the double bonus in the second half, the refs swallowed their whistles. We should have shot 50+ FTs. So, to a degree, his strategy worked, as Texas was within a possession in the last minute. Beard knows what's up. It's just lazy and kinda weak to bring it up as an excuse in the post game presser.
Spot on...

And then he bumped someone and got the quick whistle. My outburst after that got me the “I can’t watch this game with you if you’re going to yell like that” from Mrs New Pal…
I was so annoyed admittedly, as, I thought Purdue was in for a long night after that...as, it just changes things SO much for Purdue.

That said, I felt like Williams was going to be a bigger threat, provided "good Tre" was there...and, he absolutely was.

They knew that they had nobody that could guard Edey...they just didn't realize that they didn't have anyone that could guard Williams either.

The refs can’t call every foul is their motto. Too bad the NCAA wants free movement and the calls will be tighter in the tournament than some of the rough conferences. Big Ten should clean up the officiating. That’s one reason only 2 teams are left. Teams are just too used to fouling all the time and can’t adjust.

about 2 Texas fouls to every Purdue foul (yes fouls were called on Purdue too). Seems about right considering Texas’s bump the ball handler and grab the cutter on every play compared to Purdue’s D. Add on top of that pounding the ball inside and Ivey’s drive.

Teams that play aggressive are always going to get more fouls. That doesn't mean that it should be "call it both ways".

Also, their height played a factor. You either have to foul our bigs or let them hit 3 to 6 foot shots.

I guess Beard is getting a little Izzo in him now.

Yeah, seemed to be a lot of whining about fouls and their could've been a lot more that were not called. Officials did their best to try and make up the difference with some of they really nit picky calls and some blatant crazy ones that were not fouls going against us. But that is Texas style and there were numerous unforced frustration fouls committed by Texas after a bad offensive play in the open court. Just an undisciplined team.

You'll see the same exact strategy utilized against us in the St Peters game...
They have no other option. I think their tallest player is 6' 10" and sure they have beat some solid teams to get to where they are, they have never faced a duo like that of Tre/Zach.

Not sure they have anyone that can contain Ivey or really even slow him down. Again not taking anything away from them because they have beat some solid teams, but I have no doubt Painter will have the team focused.

They have no other option. I think their tallest player is 6' 10" and sure they have beat some solid teams to get to where they are, they have never faced a duo like that of Tre/Zach.

Not sure they have anyone that can contain Ivey or really even slow him down. Again not taking anything away from them because they have beat some solid teams, but I have no doubt Painter will have the team focused.
Yeah, the good news is Painter has almost a week to carve out his strategy. I have no doubt we'll be prepared

It was very obvious, and I was at the game, that their game plan was to foul nonstop. Thank goodness we managed to make 72% at the line.
Not sure we actually shot that good because I thought we missed to many fronts of 1 and 1s. If you count that as two misses (which it essentially is) that brings the percentage down more.

Reactions: drewjin

The problem is I can’t imagine SPU being as deep as a power five team… might go south quickly for them if refs do call it well

Weird comment from Beard:
"Well I think the difficulty and the frustrating part from our point of view, is a lot of them, you know, we weren't trying to foul."

So, in Beard's world, your team should only get called for the fouls when you are TRYING TO FOUL. All of the accidental fouls that result from playing physical defense, being out of position, reaching, etc., should not be counted against you.. because you had good intentions?? :rolleyes:

Mrs. Swear had the same message for me.
Hah! Mrs. Scuzzer packed up and watched the game from the bedroom because me and my son were being so positive about our play. She said this morning it made her uncomfortable since we don’t normally do that. I think it was when we were down 14-11 and my son and I kept talking about how Texas sucks at shooting from distance and couldn’t possibly keep hitting those shots.

Weird comment from Beard:
"Well I think the difficulty and the frustrating part from our point of view, is a lot of them, you know, we weren't trying to foul."

So, in Beard's world, your team should only get called for the fouls when you are TRYING TO FOUL. All of the accidental fouls that result from playing physical defense, being out of position, reaching, etc., should not be counted against you.. because you had good intentions?? :rolleyes:
That is just cope-speak. And no I don't mean 'coach' speak, he was trying to cope that that his hack-a-Zach plan backfired on him.

The problem is I can’t imagine SPU being as deep as a power five team… might go south quickly for them if refs do call it well
I agree, but they did get past UK. Granted I think UK was way over-rated though.

I know very little about SPU other than they are not tall and this is pretty much a home game for them. On paper it should be an easy game for us, reality is I can see us in a dog fight.

On replays and trying to be objective, I thought we fouled when we touched the shooting arm and they fouled by hitting the shooting arm. So I am not sure what Beard is crying about.

I also remember two fouls being called on our bigs for hitting their non shooting elbow with our chests.

On replays and trying to be objective, I thought we fouled when we touched the shooting arm and they fouled by hitting the shooting arm. So I am not sure what Beard is crying about.

I also remember two fouls being called on our bigs for hitting their non shooting elbow with our chests.
I also remember IT getting quite literally run over and he got called for the blocking foul. Beard is just being ridiculous.

Yeah. I can be objective and admit there were probably a couple calls that went our way. Jaden trucking a guy in the lane while dishing to Morton for a 3-pointer comes to mind. But there were just as many no-calls on Texas. Purdue just doesn't play physical in-your-shorts defense and Texas did not take the ball to the basket very much. Them settling for jump shot after jump shot during their 10 minute drought was the difference and is what Beard should be kicking himself about.

Yeah. I can be objective and admit there were probably a couple calls that went our way. Jaden trucking a guy in the lane while dishing to Morton for a 3-pointer comes to mind. But there were just as many no-calls on Texas. Purdue just doesn't play physical in-your-shorts defense and Texas did not take the ball to the basket very much. Them settling for jump shot after jump shot during their 10 minute drought was the difference and is what Beard should be kicking himself about.
Ramey scored late in the game after blatantly knocking the defender back with his shoulder/elbow, and no call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT