ADVERTISEMENT

AP Poll - Purdue up a spot

B1G is the most mediocre conference in America!
It's a mystery to me how the B1G will beat the best of the best in the pre-season, be crowned the top conference, and then stink it up in the tourney with a record number of invites. It's been a while, but I also recall years where the B1G was considered weak and got fewer invtes, only to have them go deep in the tourney.

It's a mystery to me how the B1G will beat the best of the best in the pre-season, be crowned the top conference, and then stink it up in the tourney with a record number of invites. It's been a while, but I also recall years where the B1G was considered weak and got fewer invtes, only to have them go deep in the tourney.
We have not been considered the best or even good since 2021 … people just won’t let the narrative that we’re “overrated” die. We are properly rated as “meh.”

We have not been considered the best or even good since 2021 … people just won’t let the narrative that we’re “overrated” die. We are properly rated as “meh.”
Didn't we have a record number of teams in the NCAA last year? And a number of teams rated in the Top 25 throughout the season? That doesn't scream that we have not been considered good.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
Didn't we have a record number of teams in the NCAA last year? And a number of teams rated in the Top 25 throughout the season? That doesn't scream that we have not been considered good.
That's the thing of statistics. You could use certain statistics to frame your theory and someone else could use different ones to frame theirs. You could easily say the Big 10 has been bad for a long time because they don't have a championship since 2000. They continue to put record teams in the tournament every year so using that you say that they're great.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
That's the thing of statistics. You could use certain statistics to frame your theory and someone else could use different ones to frame theirs. You could easily say the Big 10 has been bad for a long time because they don't have a championship since 2000. They continue to put record teams in the tournament every year so using that you say that they're great.
I have been a very vocal critic of the B1G on here for quite some time. IMO, the B1G gets way too much credit during the season as being a "tough conference that beats up on each other". We end up with a bunch of teams in the tournament and then we under perform. Again, just my .02 but I think the B1G is generally overrated every year. A bunch of ok teams mixed in with the occasional really good one (like PU last year and this year). It's very early, but this season so far looks like the same thing.

Put another way: Does anyone think PU wins a P5 title last year by 3 games in any conference besides the B1G?

Because the B1G refs let teams get hammered all year long. Then during the tournament it's called different. Usually messes them up.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I have been a very vocal critic of the B1G on here for quite some time. IMO, the B1G gets way too much credit during the season as being a "tough conference that beats up on each other". We end up with a bunch of teams in the tournament and then we under perform. Again, just my .02 but I think the B1G is generally overrated every year. A bunch of ok teams mixed in with the occasional really good one (like PU last year and this year). It's very early, but this season so far looks like the same thing.

Put another way: Does anyone think PU wins a P5 title last year by 3 games in any conference besides the B1G?

Agree. B10 hasn't been great in awhile. I think maybe that catches up with them this year and 4-5 teams in ncaat whereas it has been common to get 6-7.

Part of that is referring....and then talent doesn't come.

C'mon, Boilers, jump one more spot. I want to break the tie for 29th in weeks ranked #1. It's kind of amazing how quickly we've gone from "never been AP #1" to me getting greedy for more. :D
Was just talking to my wife about this last night. She went to KU so from a BB fan's perspective, she has lived an easy life. The problem she has is that she is married to a huge Purdue fan. As I said, last night I looked at her and said this is a first for me. It feels like Purdue is now at the top of the heap. This all came about after looking at the national recruiting for 2024. Some big names there at the top of the list including Purdue. Great pride.

• Love

I don't think the B1G has underperformed. Last year most teams were seeded 7-11 and, outside of Purdue, mostly met or exceeded seed expectations.

By three games? Probably not. Big XII and SEC were gauntlets at the top of their leagues.

ACC and Pac-12 had enough - guess it depends on schedule/match-ups, but I think your money would be safe until you messed it up on a bracket wager, Haha. :)

I still would have Purdue as the 2-seed in the South last season.

Reactions: Dryfly88
By three games? Probably not. Big XII and SEC were gauntlets at the top of their leagues.

ACC and Pac-12 had enough - guess it depends on schedule/match-ups, but I think your money would be safe until you messed it up on a bracket wager, Haha. :)

I still would have Purdue as the 2-seed in the South last season.
Wish we had been the 2 seed instead 😂

I don't think the B1G has underperformed. Last year most teams were seeded 7-11 and, outside of Purdue, mostly met or exceeded seed expectations.
Underperformed was the wrong word. How about mediocre teams? Getting a bunch of 7-11 seeds in a P5 conference is not very impressive. So a 10 beats a 7 or a 9 beats an 8, not really anything special. MSU was the only one that overperformed their seed getting to the S16. And of course we all know what happened to the best team from our conference.

The point was our conference is not strong and hasn't been for quite a while. You don't win a strong conference by 3 games.

Reactions: Hausta01
Underperformed was the wrong word. How about mediocre teams? Getting a bunch of 7-11 seeds in a P5 conference is not very impressive. So a 10 beats a 7 or a 9 beats an 8, not really anything special. MSU was the only one that overperformed their seed getting to the S16. And of course we all know what happened to the best team from our conference.

The point was our conference is not strong and hasn't been for quite a while. You don't win a strong conference by 3 games.

Definitely just mediocre overall. And the tournament results have reflected that.

I would say ever since the Swanigan year (where Purdue won the league, was 25-7, but still only a 4 seed) the B1G just hasn't been all that good. A lot of decent, tournament-level teams, but only maybe 3 or 4 teams with the chops to have a reasonable shot to win the title.

I do think from top to bottom, B10 is the strongest conference out there. SEC, ACC, etc. have talent at the top but are pretty weak at the bottom. I like the fact that any B10 team can beat another B10 team.

I’m not seeing it this year. After Purdue the Big Ten lacks top teams. Maybe MSU, but they haven’t shown it.

Agree. But Mich will be good as ILL...likely 2-3. MN is good with vastly improved 3 pt shooting. Rutgers looks competitive.

I have not liked MSU yet at all or Whisky....both usually top 4 teams. iu looks terrible on D.

While not great at least 5 NCAA teams...but down from usual 7

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
I do think from top to bottom, B10 is the strongest conference out there. SEC, ACC, etc. have talent at the top but are pretty weak at the bottom. I like the fact that any B10 team can beat another B10 team.
Don't confuse competitive with being good. Yes, many of the B1G teams are competitive with each other, but that doesn't mean they are any good. They are just equally mediocre.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Agree. But Mich will be good as ILL...likely 2-3. MN is good with vastly improved 3 pt shooting. Rutgers looks competitive.

I have not liked MSU yet at all or Whisky....both usually top 4 teams. iu looks terrible on D.

While not great at least 5 NCAA teams...but down from usual 7
Good point on Michigan. Dug McDaniel appears to be emerging as one of the point guards in the country. It will be interesting to see how they hold up as the season progresses.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Good point on Michigan. Dug McDaniel appears to be emerging as one of the point guards in the country. It will be interesting to see how they hold up as the season progresses.

Agree wish we had McDaniel. That kid is a stud pg. So far looks best in B10....save maybe T. Walker. Haven't seen enough of the whole country to say best in country, but want to see the PG play that is better...for sure.

Last edited:
I’m not seeing it this year. After Purdue the Big Ten lacks top teams. Maybe MSU, but they haven’t shown it.
MSU's recruiting has actually improved a bit over the past few years, but it hasn't panned out on the court. I wonder what the succession plan is for Izzo's retirement.

Because the B1G refs let teams get hammered all year long. Then during the tournament it's called different. Usually messes them up.
Good point. In early non-conference games, the B1G beats top teams head-to-head. Then lose to lesser teams in the NCAA tournament. It's not just Purdue. Something happens, or doesn't happen, during the B1G season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT