ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue back to #1 with 48 of 62 #1 votes

This game should boost the confidence we will need in March. Having said that, this team seems to be very confident already. They just don’t seem to get shook at all. When things don’t go well, this team just continues to work on both ends of the floor, no hesitation, no fear.

Houston alum here. I think our ranking is based heavily on previous tournament results. Sweet 16, Elite 8, Final 4, Sweet 16 over our last 4 tourneys (2019-2023).

Over that same period Purdue has been knocked out twice in the first round, once to a freaking 16 seed! I don't know that I'd be complaining about Houston if I were a Boiler fan, but thats just me. Our program is proven.

• Haha
Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Houston alum here. I think our ranking is based heavily on previous tournament results. Sweet 16, Elite 8, Final 4, Sweet 16 over our last 4 tourneys (2019-2023).

Over that same period Purdue has been knocked out twice in the first round, once to a freaking 16 seed! I don't know that I'd be complaining about Houston if I were a Boiler fan, but thats just me. Our program is proven.
lol. Ignorant post about how the rankings work. Wouldn't expect more from a Houston alum.

And we had Elite 8, first round loss, S16, first round loss from 2019-2023. 2017& 2018 we went to the S16s both years. UH hadn’t sniffed the S16 since 1984–which they had only been to the tourney 5 times from 84 to 2019. So I see why you thought the rankings only look back to 2019 😂

However, we both know that the rankings don’t factor the last 4 years…Carolina wouldn’t be trusted this year, right?

Houston had won a lot due to their conference being weak and never scheduling tough teams in non con. And to their credit, they performed well in March. They had Cryer join and had a decent recruiting class this past year. But they still haven’t played anyone…kinda like Ole Miss. so that’s what users are arguing about… that you haven’t played anyone.

Good thing for Houston though, is that they can prove how good they are by playing in the best conference. Going to be tough but let’s see what they got!

Reactions: UHCoog1

Duck us for life bro. Cellphone won't schedule hard.

Cellphone? Is that code for Sampson?

We played at #2 Virginia last year and hosted an 8th ranked Alabama. Sure, the AAC wasn’t terribly strong but it’s not like we played absolutely nobody OOC.
Yeah, your coach is a cheating piece of shit, and you don't play anyone in your OOC schedule. If you want to be considered one of the Big Boys, you need to schedule like it. Every time you listen to anyone talking about the top teams this year, they always have to preference their comments about Houston with "they haven't really played anyone yet, we'll have to wait for conference play to know how good they are". Ridiculous schedule for a team that thinks they belong in the top 5 in the country.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Yeah, your coach is a cheating piece of shit, and you don't play anyone in your OOC schedule. If you want to be considered one of the Big Boys, you need to schedule like it. Every time you listen to anyone talking about the top teams this year, they always have to preference their comments about Houston with "they haven't really played anyone yet, we'll have to wait for conference play to know how good they are". Ridiculous schedule for a team that thinks they belong in the top 5 in the country.
LOL at cheating piece of shit. OH no, too many text messages and phone calls! You dont consider top 5 teams playing anyone OOC?

Big-12 is overrated every year if you go by NCAA tourney results.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
LOL at cheating piece of shit. OH no, too many text messages and phone calls! You dont consider top 5 teams playing anyone OOC?

Big-12 is overrated every year if you go by NCAA tourney results.
I, personally don’t care about any of the scandals, because I’m pretty sure everyone did something to bend the rules and NIL is the wild Wild West and I don’t event think the NCAA understands NIL.

But either way, it’d be good to see UH the next few years in some big OOC games. Any indication if that’ll happen? Wasn’t sure if Sampson has talked about it at all (as I don’t follow UH haha).

I, personally don’t care about any of the scandals, because I’m pretty sure everyone did something to bend the rules and NIL is the wild Wild West and I don’t event think the NCAA understands NIL.

But either way, it’d be good to see UH the next few years in some big OOC games. Any indication if that’ll happen? Wasn’t sure if Sampson has talked about it at all (as I don’t follow UH haha).
I'd love a matchup with Purdue, maybe a neutral site series like once in Indy and once in Houston at Toyota Center.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00

Big-12 is overrated every year if nyou go by NCAA tourney results.
At the end of their investigation, the NCAA issued a report citing more than 550 impermissible calls made by Sampson and his staff to 17 different recruits at Oklahoma. Then he got in trouble at IU. Yeah, he is a cheater. Not much debate there.

Here are your opponent's NET rankings so far this year: What a joke. Not anywhere close to a top 5 team on that schedule.

166 Next game before B12 season starts

Yeah, weak Net numbers no doubt... Hard when you're in the AAC. Hasn't hurt our ability to be extremely competitive in the NCAA tourney though.

Big 12 obviously a really strong conference, the best in the land. Will be fun!

Yeah, weak Net numbers no doubt... Hard when you're in the AAC. Hasn't hurt our ability to be extremely competitive in the NCAA tourney though.

Big 12 obviously a really strong conference, the best in the land. Will be fun!
What are you talking about? Dryfly was posting the Net rankings of non-conference opponents this season.

Reactions: Dryfly88
What are you talking about? Dryfly was posting the Net rankings of non-conference opponents this season.
He knows he's wrong. Their scheduling is a joke. I'm glad they are in the B12 now. At least they can't dodge playing good teams all year like they did before. But that pre-conference schedule is ridiculous for a team ranked in the top 5 in the country.

This game should boost the confidence we will need in March. Having said that, this team seems to be very confident already. They just don’t seem to get shook at all. When things don’t go well, this team just continues to work on both ends of the floor, no hesitation, no fear.
They have played enough of these big games (now) that they don't seem to get nervous like they used to.
It's all the process. They've been there before. (now) The stage is not too big. (now)
You've got to bang on the door first (and not get in) before you learn what it takes to kick it in.....
Kudos to the coach(es) for knowing what they have and creating this nightmare (most years) of a schedule to make this team the best it can be.
They seem to be raising their game along with the team.
THESE Boilers are not ****ing around.

He knows he's wrong. Their scheduling is a joke. I'm glad they are in the B12 now. At least they can't dodge playing good teams all year like they did before. But that pre-conference schedule is ridiculous for a team ranked in the top 5 in the country.
Two top 10 opponents last year OOC. That isn't dodging.

Two top 10 opponents last year OOC. That isn't dodging.
You lost to then #1 Alabama correct? Who is the other top 5 team?

So in 2 years you have played a grand total of 2 highly ranked teams?? Congratulations, PU did that in 2 days in Maui.

You lost to then #1 Alabama correct? Who is the other top 5 team?

So in 2 years you have played a grand total of 2 highly ranked teams?? Congratulations, PU did that in 2 days in Maui.
We played at #2 Virginia in Charlottesville (I went).

We also played @ Oregon and hosted St Marys. You may not be familiar with how scheduling works but when the Oregon game was scheduled it was expected they would have a really good team.

21-22 we played Virginia, Butler, Wisconsin, Oregon, Alabama and Oklahoma State.

20-21 we played Texas Tech in the regular season (admittedly a weaker schedule but Covid didnt help). Lost to eventual national Champ Baylor in the Final 4.

This thread is making me retroactively hate those phi slamma jamma teams that I enjoyed back in the day.

We played at #2 Virginia in Charlottesville (I went).

We also played @ Oregon and hosted St Marys. You may not be familiar with how scheduling works but when the Oregon game was scheduled it was expected they would have a really good team.

21-22 we played Virginia, Butler, Wisconsin, Oregon, Alabama and Oklahoma State.

20-21 we played Texas Tech in the regular season (admittedly a weaker schedule but Covid didnt help). Lost to eventual national Champ Baylor in the Final 4.
I was showing VA as #14. So, just so we are clear, in the past 2 seasons you have played 2 top ranked teams. Do we agree on that?

Yes, I understand how scheduling works and you can't always count on teams holding up their end. But you listing some P5 teams that you have scheduled doesn't mean you played a tough schedule during any year. You are very much like Gonzaga. Only they play a tougher non-conference and then coast through their regular season. You did the same in the AAC. Now that Houston is in the B12, they scheduled an extremely weak pre-conference to rack up a bunch of high margin wins against very bad teams. Look back at those NET rankings I listed and tell me which of those teams were supposed to be good this year?

It's why all the talking heads when reviewing the season so far preference their remarks about Houston with "we have to see once they start playing in the B12". I actually think Houston is pretty good. My problem is strictly with their schedule.

I was showing VA as #14. So, just so we are clear, in the past 2 seasons you have played 2 top ranked teams. Do we agree on that?

Yes, I understand how scheduling works and you can't always count on teams holding up their end. But you listing some P5 teams that you have scheduled doesn't mean you played a tough schedule during any year. You are very much like Gonzaga. Only they play a tougher non-conference and then coast through their regular season. You did the same in the AAC. Now that Houston is in the B12, they scheduled an extremely weak pre-conference to rack up a bunch of high margin wins against very bad teams. Look back at those NET rankings I listed and tell me which of those teams were supposed to be good this year?

It's why all the talking heads when reviewing the season so far preference their remarks about Houston with "we have to see once they start playing in the B12". I actually think Houston is pretty good. My problem is strictly with their schedule.
Yeah, this year's OOC is pretty light I dont disagree. The talking heads can do their thing, I am not too worried about them. We will lose some conference games and I am okay with that, the B12 is the top bball league in the land. One thing i know is that we will be one of the toughest teams in the country, just very undersized (especially with Arceneaux done for the year and J'wan Roberts banged up).

No doubt that they are good. It’s just hard to know how good with their schedule, thus far. We’ll find out more soon in the Big 12.

Houston would be an interesting matchup for Purdue if they were to meet in the postseason. They are such a great defensive team, but they don’t really have the size to match up with Edey at all. It would be interesting to see if they would be able to disrupt Purdue’s offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT