ADVERTISEMENT

Still #2 in the AP poll with 16 #1 votes

I would split the AP votes right down the middle at this point.

I know that's not really how it works but UCONN and Purdue are clearly #1/#2 in whatever order, and I don't think the order matters (#2 has worked quite well for Purdue so I'm fine with it).

Reactions: RDUBoiler
I would split the AP votes right down the middle at this point.

I know that's not really how it works but UCONN and Purdue are clearly #1/#2 in whatever order, and I don't think the order matters (#2 has worked quite well for Purdue so I'm fine with it).
I'm surprised a few UConn voters haven't flipped, but again, it doesn't really matter until April.

Best resume in the country. As Jimmy Jackson said on the broadcast Saturday "they've beaten everybody". While not literally true, his point is well taken. We had/have a tough schedule like a team going for a championship should have, and we've beaten the big boys on it. Just keep it up for a few more weeks and we will have the #1 seed in the mid-west. Can't ask for more than that to start the tournament.

I understand why UConn is ahead of Purdue in #1 votes, but Purdue clearly has the best resume at this point.

Don’t look now but UConn’s December 20 loss at Seton Hall has been downgraded to Q2 (Seton Hall currently #76 in NET, to go with Kansas #17 prior to their evisceration at Texas Tech, vs. Nebraska #53 and Northwestern #56). So not only do we have better wins, we arguably also have less-bad losses.

Don’t look now but UConn’s December 20 loss at Seton Hall has been downgraded to Q2 (Seton Hall currently #76 in NET, to go with Kansas #17 prior to their evisceration at Texas Tech, vs. Nebraska #53 and Northwestern #56). So not only do we have better wins, we arguably also have less-bad losses.
UConn's schedule gets harder starting Saturday. Home with Marquette, then at Creighton. At Marquette in March, along with remaining games against Providence, Villanova and Seton Hall. Tough end of the year.

Reactions: boilermaker75
Take care of MN at home like we should, and I gotta believe Purdue will be announced as the overall #1 when the in-season top 16 seeds get announced this Saturday.

I know it's only a preview that can certainly change but will still be hugely satisfying seeing it on Saturday. It's also a big fat carrot put out in front of them... See this #1 overall, you earned it... now finish the season strong to keep it!

Take care of MN at home like we should, and I gotta believe Purdue will be announced as the overall #1 when the in-season top 16 seeds get announced this Saturday.

I know it's only a preview that can certainly change but will still be hugely satisfying seeing it on Saturday. It's also a big fat carrot put out in front of them... See this #1 overall, you earned it... now finish the season strong to keep it!
Completely agree.

I’m not concerned about the rankings. We only really have two recruiting targets and only one scholarship to give. And our top target watched as we destroyed IU. So I doubt he cares about our rankings. I also expect unless some catastrophe happens, we’ll still get a #1 seed and get the location we want. So give me a 1 or a 2 or a 3 or 4. It doesn’t really matter.

What I’m more curious about and what concerns me is how do we stack up against UCONN. Is it a good matchup? Are they the type of team with awesome guards and three centers who can foul all night long? Are they a run and gun? Are they fundamentally sound? If it comes down to Purdue and UConn, how do you see it playing out?

I’m not concerned about the rankings. We only really have two recruiting targets and only one scholarship to give. And our top target watched as we destroyed IU. So I doubt he cares about our rankings. I also expect unless some catastrophe happens, we’ll still get a #1 seed and get the location we want. So give me a 1 or a 2 or a 3 or 4. It doesn’t really matter.

What I’m more curious about and what concerns me is how do we stack up against UCONN. Is it a good matchup? Are they the type of team with awesome guards and three centers who can foul all night long? Are they a run and gun? Are they fundamentally sound? If it comes down to Purdue and UConn, how do you see it playing out?
Purdue matches up quite nicely with UConn. Should be a good national championship game.

Wole, do you think Sisley liked more what he saw from Purdue or IU? Do you think he’d like to be ranked in the top 5 during his time playing in college? If you were a recruit and you were going to get the same playing time at a school, would you want to play for an unranked team or a top 5 team?

In regards to UConn, they’re very good. Tall, long guards. Spencer is a Rutgers transfer and has been terrific this year. Newton is a walking triple double all year and castle is a projected top 5 pick. Clingan is a projected lotto pick, who is quicker than edey and a bit more athletic BUT with that said, he’s never guarded a guy like Zach so I like our chances there. The rest of the matchups, on paper would probably give the nod to UConn, but that’s why we play the game…I think we definitely can play with em and I HOPE we get a chance to see the matchup.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT