ADVERTISEMENT

7-5 with a bowl game is legit?

Nov 26, 2011
2-1 now. K, haven't played anyone...I get that....but...
Got to figure tough games, Michigan, Minny and Wisco.
Must wins...NW, Nebraska and Rutgers
That puts us at 5-4....with IU, Illinois and Iowa.
Only issues I see is that we play Mich, Minny and Wisco in a row. Could be hard to recover from.

Only issues I see is that we play Mich, Minny and Wisco in a row. Could be hard to recover from.
UL is still a legit top 25 team because of Jackson and their offensive ability.

Reactions: pboiler18
I'm sticking by my 4 guaranteed + 2 possible wins. I still see wins over IU, Illinois and Rutgers, and possible wins over NW and Minn. the mizzou win was good and unexpected. by doing so, we could win one of the NW and Minn games and still make 6-6. I really like our chances of beating minn at home.

I have to believe Nebraska will rebound. Fortunately we're not playing them next week. Unfortunately, I believe we will not sneak up on Michigan next week, and they will be waiting to show us who is the best in the BIG 10.

I have every game as a possible win except MI and WI. And frankly the way Brohm prepares teams, I think MI is vulnerable.

Could Purdue be outperformed by Wisconsin and Michigan? Obviously.

However, id caution against saying that any team is a team we can't beat for one key reason ...

This staff appears to have incredible awareness of what the opponent is doing and actually try to take that away. And they don't line up the team in a way that makes them look like they can only win one way/can't match up at all with certain teams.

In years past I felt that we tried to line up the Same way or didn't have personnel adjustments based on who Purdue was playing. You don't need to treat Wisconsin like they could be doing what central Michigan did with lefevour just as likely as what their bread and butter is. Stretch plays... maul you.. use angles and then hit you with play action.

When I saw ware breaking down how holt knew what mizzous game was and then lined up to force things Inside to outside... I was like "he gets it." Rarely got that feeling from 05 until two weeks ago...

Could Purdue be outperformed by Wisconsin and Michigan? Obviously.

However, id caution against saying that any team is a team we can't beat for one key reason ...

This staff appears to have incredible awareness of what the opponent is doing and actually try to take that away. And they don't line up the team in a way that makes them look like they can only win one way/can't match up at all with certain teams.

In years past I felt that we tried to line up the Same way or didn't have personnel adjustments based on who Purdue was playing. You don't need to treat Wisconsin like they could be doing what central Michigan did with lefevour just as likely as what their bread and butter is. Stretch plays... maul you.. use angles and then hit you with play action.

When I saw ware breaking down how holt knew what mizzous game was and then lined up to force things Inside to outside... I was like "he gets it." Rarely got that feeling from 05 until two weeks ago...

Holt made similar adjustments to contain Louisville's Jackson. Something their other opponents were not able to do.

Holt made similar adjustments to contain Louisville's Jackson. Something their other opponents were not able to do.

Agreed. So.. is it possible Wisconsin is just too big and gets a push consistently and wins? Yes. Are they gonna make purdue look like a friggin high school team? Which by the way they were doing when tiller was still here...

I'm thinking they may not.

Making a bowl game would be a huge step forward for the program and I am starting to believe it is attainable. I for one will be incredibly disappointed if we can't beat PJ Fleck and Minnesota on our home turf! I am not a Fleck fan and think we will beat Minnesota when they come to West Lafayette on October 7th. Brohm is a way better coach than Fleck and that will be painfully obvious to Minnesota fans after we whip them.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
I just believe there is going to be a game we should win and expect to win, but will lose. and we will head into the Bucket game with a 5-6 record. and with everything on the line, we'll win and pull out a 6-6 record. and that would place us about 6-8th place in the BIG 10 and on the 7th or 8th Bowl game on the BIG 10 Bowl tie-in selection. Some logical bowl games to dream about - Music City bowl in Nashville; TaxSlayer bowl ( formerly the Gator bowl) Foster Farms bowl in San fran; Quick lane bowl that replaced little Ceaser in Detroit, and the Heart of Dallas bowl. I kind of like the Foster Farms and Heart of Dallas Bowl games. The Heart of Dallas Bowl either plays military or 6th best C-USA team. I think that would be a good Bowl to cap the season against a beatable opponent rather than going up against the 6th best SEC or PAC 12 team. At this time, I'd rather play a lesser opponent in a Bowl game and go out a winner. it would boost spirits and recruiting during the off season verses getting blown out.

Should have written 'haven't beaten anyone'

Actually, we've beaten ohio and mizzou. Ohio will be bowl bound team. mizzou is from the SEC. Admittedly it was predicted by Athlon to go 5-7 and finsih 6th in the east. but their losses were expected to be to SEC teams. any time a BIG 10 team beats an SEC team is a win to hang your hat on. Scheduling Mizzou and Louisville actually looks like a good move now.

All I know is if we win next weekend, and I'm not guaranteeing anything, I won't be surprised if we win 8 or 9 games. At this point, I'm not sure any of us expected 2-1 with a game we gave away as our loss. So who knows? I know we have a coach.

To be honest. After this start...missing a bowl will be a let down. That sounds completely insane based on where we have been.

However, this is night and day compared to last year. I think it would be disappointing if we dropped off so significantly to not make even the most minor bowl game. For me...making a game like that would be so huge. If only for the additional practice time that the team is allowed.

I'm so pumped that my expectations have been lifted.

The best part is the energy and enthusiasm. It's gotten me back on board!

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
Concede nothing.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Michigan looks vulnerable right now. Their offense has not looked that good the last two weeks at home vs. Cincinnati and Air Force.

I'm telling you - Minnesota is a paper tiger. They've really not played anybody yet. Oregon State is awful. They struggled vs. Buffalo at home and MTSU was playing without their good QB from last year. We're going to beat Minnesota.

We can beat Michigan but it will be tough. They have as much or more talent as Louisville, except at QB.

I'm sticking by my 4 guaranteed + 2 possible wins. I still see wins over IU, Illinois and Rutgers, and possible wins over NW and Minn. the mizzou win was good and unexpected. by doing so, we could win one of the NW and Minn games and still make 6-6. I really like our chances of beating minn at home.

I have to believe Nebraska will rebound. Fortunately we're not playing them next week. Unfortunately, I believe we will not sneak up on Michigan next week, and they will be waiting to show us who is the best in the BIG 10.
Right now, Michigan is not playing like they're the best team in the BIG by a long shot. They look pedestrian on offense right now.

Michigan looks vulnerable right now. Their offense has not looked that good the last two weeks at home vs. Cincinnati and Air Force.

I'm telling you - Minnesota is a paper tiger. They've really not played anybody yet. Oregon State is awful. They struggled vs. Buffalo at home and MTSU was playing without their good QB from last year. We're going to beat Minnesota.

We can beat Michigan but it will be tough. They have as much or more talent as Louisville, except at QB.
Wisky will be the toughest matchup, Minny is beatable and speaking of Oregon State, did Anderson ever make a dumb career move.

Keep it real.

I see a team I can enjoy watching again. I see a coach coaching players. I see a program with potential.

I feel this team can make us proud. 7-5 would be awesome. But even 5-7 would be a huge improvement and give me hope!

Keep it real.

I see a team I can enjoy watching again. I see a coach coaching players. I see a program with potential.

I feel this team can make us proud. 7-5 would be awesome. But even 5-7 would be a huge improvement and give me hope!
This team is going to a bowl game and 8 wins (or more) is not out of the realm of possibility, because some of the teams in the BIG West (Nebraska, Northwestern, Minnesota) aren't as good as some people thought before the season started.

I looked at the BIG 10 standings last night! I can see 10 teams and maybe 11 being bowl ellible this year. I can see 1 team in the championship bowl series, and 1 team in the other major bowl series! Based on popularity and attendance I could see some lesser teams being selected over Purdue for a Bowlgame ! While the Big 10 has tie ins and a suggestive order, bowl games can select the team they want. If Purdue and Nebraska end up with identical records, I could see Nebraska being selected! On the other hand if given a choice of Purdue, minn and IU with identical records, I believe they would choose Purdue and our offense! IU's canceled game may come back to haunt them!

Duh, he means with Brohm as the coach. Of course, he wouldn't say that if D-Haze was still running the show.
You sure you went to Purdue?? Real alums have a factory installed sarcasm detector. Might want to get yours checked.

You sure you went to Purdue?? Real alums have a factory installed sarcasm detector. Might want to get yours checked.
Your response was so subtle, it was virtually impossible to detect any hint of sarcasm in it.:eek:

By the way, I have a Purdue BSME and a Purdue MBA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT