ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruiting - New

Verbals are dog and pony show for the fans. Only the recruits, and to some extent the coaches, really know what's going on until signing day.
I wonder if coaches feel they are wasting their time recruiting underclassmen at this point.

Just wait till the dust settles in their senior year, save your recruiting budget money, and then swoop in with a last minute NIL offer that tops everyone else.

Verbals are dog and pony show for the fans. Only the recruits, and to some extent the coaches, really know what's going on until signing day.
Shoot and even with that there is some level of doubt. I mean think of Biggie committing to MSU and it was a few days before signing day that the news started leaking that he wasn't actually signing...

I wonder if coaches feel they are wasting their time recruiting underclassmen at this point.

Just wait till the dust settles in their senior year, save your recruiting budget money, and then swoop in with a last minute NIL offer that tops everyone else.
They still need to build a relationship I think for a long term commitment. Players need to develop a trust with our staff around their playing career. We have been burned before waiting too late. NIL changes things though. Think the next few years will be interesting. 2024 class will be a big one to determine how it really impacts us.

Last edited:
Louisville hires the grandfather of the #1 ranked recruit.

Da Ville is always rockin it.......

Louie......Louie.......me gotta go

Louieville......

b50SWJ.gif

• Haha
Reactions: indyogb and TX4GB
Didn’t Calipari hire him to get his son to Memphis ?
Wow yep, crazy, I found this: Back in 2000, then-Memphis head coach John Calipari famously hired Wagner as an assistant coach on his staff, in part as a play to land top-ranked recruit Dajuan Wagner, who was Milt's son. It worked, with the middle Wagner playing a season for the Tigers before being selected at No. 6 overall in the 2002 NBA Draft.

Reactions: indyogb
Wow yep, crazy, I found this: Back in 2000, then-Memphis head coach John Calipari famously hired Wagner as an assistant coach on his staff, in part as a play to land top-ranked recruit Dajuan Wagner, who was Milt's son. It worked, with the middle Wagner playing a season for the Tigers before being selected at No. 6 overall in the 2002 NBA Draft.
Didn't Dajuan end up with some crazy heart issue that ended his career?

I read just now he was hospitalized for ulcerative colitis. Removed half his colon.
Yeah, wild story. Feel like ESPN included a segment on it in one of their 30 for 30s perhaps. Sad story because he was actually starting to figure it out in the NBA and was a great basketball player.

Reactions: TX4GB
Garwey Dual up to 73 from unraked. Now rated higher than Colvin
We have two guards in that class and being a Carmel guy he certainly isn’t flying under painters radar especially with a former teammate on our roster. We can’t offer every 3/4 star indiana guard. Might be more of a Jeff Teague situation than a Bane situation.

We have two guards in that class and being a Carmel guy he certainly isn’t flying under painters radar especially with a former teammate on our roster. We can’t offer every 3/4 star indiana guard. Might be more of a Jeff Teague situation than a Bane situation.
Right, Dual is not an unknown unranked player anymore. Joey Hart moving up the ranks too.

I’ll say it for all to hear - come March, you cannot have enough dynamic guards.

Yeah, you think Nijel Pack would have been OK walking on with the deal he got? Who needs scholarships?
Good point… although he had to pay income taxes on his NiL money and scholarships and room and board are tax free. Not a big deal for him since he would be in state and, yeah $200k. But it’s also hard to recruit every year when you have that deep of a team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT