ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruiting - New

I guess it would depend on why he decommitted. If it was for NIL, maybe, and that's a big maybe, he'll consider if he gets some kind of deal at Purdue. Otherwise, I think it's doubtful he'll recommit.
That could be the case. I thought, I read somewhere Painter encouraged him to look. If so, that doesn't sound like bad blood, but look and see what best fits you.

So is there any smoke about who Purdue is going after?

i guess best case scenario is DGL comes back in the fold. But I’ve always liked friedrichsen, although he would seem to be at a position that we need to shore up the least.

So is there any smoke about who Purdue is going after?

i guess best case scenario is DGL comes back in the fold. But I’ve always liked friedrichsen, although he would seem to be at a position that we need to shore up the least.
Pretty odd him dropping pretty significant after his decommit. I feel with this as the new norm that teams will still recruit that decommit.

I read where DGL is visiting Memphis. Not sure if that would be a great landing spot for him. Would he get along with Penny?

Reactions: Poprudy
I am not sure if there is a big rush to fill the last 2023 spot yet. We don’t have any seniors and we have Myles coming in. The focus seems to be 2024. Maybe see what happens with the transfer market.

I am not sure if there is a big rush to fill the last 2023 spot yet. We don’t have any seniors and we have Myles coming in. The focus seems to be 2024. Maybe see what happens with the transfer market.

We better get some additional backcourt help in 2023. Or it's gonna be a long few years.

Portal will be the key for a lot of teams including PU for filling a position or two from now on. It's a whole new recruiting cycle that has been added each year.

Reactions: DAG10
I wish DGL well; but I do not want Painter to pursue him. Obviously, commitment means nothing to him and the lure of a NIL deal if he were to surprise and play well as a freshman or sophomore could easily lead him elsewhere. Purdue would invest in developing him to little/no gain. He made his choice; lets both respect that choice.

From outside the program, that would seem to be the need. But if painter doesn’t go after a guard, that would be showing what he thinks of loyer/smith
I would agree, yet, he didn't see a need last year, and, now both guys that started have left...with the staff feeling like at least in Hunter's case that they did not want him back apparently.

Smith had plenty to overcome already...never mind trying to lead a team as a freshman on top of it...if he does, genuine props to him...and Painter.

Reactions: Schnelk
Not sure how big his NIL will be. He will come in behind Skyy Clark, Jayden Epps, Ty Rodgers and Sencire Harris in the guard rotation.

Underwood likes his game, though.
I don't think the problem with him is "his game"...and, if you are right about coming in behind all of those guys, then, it makes zero sense for DGL...that said, I don't get the sense that common sense much matters.

Given the guys you referenced, short of just having another really talented guy for the sake of doing so, I am not sure why Underwood would be involved...especially with how things played out with a couple of other guys...namely Curbelo, but, Miller as well.

Portal will be the key for a lot of teams including PU for filling a position or two from now on. It's a whole new recruiting cycle that has been added each year.
Far easier not to just erase recruiting mistakes or misses, but, do so immediately for that matter.

I don't think the problem with him is "his game"...and, if you are right about coming in behind all of those guys, then, it makes zero sense for DGL...that said, I don't get the sense that common sense much matters.

Given the guys you referenced, short of just having another really talented guy for the sake of doing so, I am not sure why Underwood would be involved...especially with how things played out with a couple of other guys...namely Curbelo, but, Miller as well.
Stack talent. If someone leaves, there’s the portal.

As I said, Underwood is not desperate for players. If mom is a problem, he will handle it or the kid is gone. DGL is obviously very talented.

Curbelo was never the same after the major concussion in the exhibition game. Missed a ton of the season. Not the player he was the year before when he returned. He needed to go home near family for his mental health.

Miller’s mom was the issue and he is gone. Did not hurt the program at all. Recruiting is really good right now. By the way, Miller wanted to return this year. He loved Illinois and finally has grown up enough to tell his mom not to embarrass him any more. Underwood said no and he stayed at LSU.

DGL will either be good or he won’t. He is not viewed as a savior so it’s up to him how it turns out.

Stack talent. If someone leaves, there’s the portal.

As I said, Underwood is not desperate for players. If mom is a problem, he will handle it or the kid is gone. DGL is obviously very talented.

Curbelo was never the same after the major concussion in the exhibition game. Missed a ton of the season. Not the player he was the year before when he returned. He needed to go home near family for his mental health.

Miller’s mom was the issue and he is gone. Did not hurt the program at all. Recruiting is really good right now. By the way, Miller wanted to return this year. He loved Illinois and finally has grown up enough to tell his mom not to embarrass him any more. Underwood said no and he stayed at LSU.

DGL will either be good or he won’t. He is not viewed as a savior so it’s up to him how it turns out.
Get it, but, way harder to stack talent these days as kids (or their handlers) want them on the floor...immediately, and, all of the time.

I never suggested that he was desperate at all...I just don't see how this addition makes sense on either end, and, more so with the known issues (and, having gone through that with a couple of guys).

Agree that recruiting is not an issue there...but, a couple of awful tournament endings the past two years with the collection of talent on hand is a concern I would think.

Miller never should have left, but, it may have been a blessing ultimately for Illinois that he did...and, it could even turn out now to be one for him given what you shared about him wanting to come back but not being able to apparently.

DGL is talented...nobody disputes that...that is not the issue, or, issues. I am interested in seeing how it all plays out for/with him regardless.

Wow, big pickup for the Gophers next year. 7 footer from Riverside, California who flew under the radar and soared to a top 30 ranking. He picked Minny over TCU. He looks skinny but should be a rim protector. I am surprised it was down to those 2 schools.

ADVERTISEMENT