ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruiting - New

Aug 23, 2016
I decided to start a NEW 2023 Recruiting thread. Hopefully this one will not get derailed......

Current Commits
Myles Colvin - SG

Player - Position - Rivals Ranking - Notes (Courtesy of njm8845)
Rayvon Griffith - SF - 41 - contacted by Purdue Out of the Running
Matas Buzelis - SF - 10 - offer, visited 30-Jun Out of the Running
Xavier Booker - PF - 96 - offer, visited 4-Sep Michigan State
Dravin Gibbs - PG - 70 - De-Committed From Purdue - Recruitment Open
Jeremy Fears - PG - 27 - offer Committed to Michigan State
Brandon White - C - 38 - offered
George Washington III - SG - 46 - contacted by Purdue Committed to Ohio State
Parker Friedrichsen - SG - 103 - offer, visited 2-Oct - Decommitted from Oklahoma State - Recruitment Open
Davius Loury - PF - 99 - offered
Joey Brown - PG - NR - visited 3-Jun (holds offers from Illinois and LSU)
Jalen Hooks - SF - 119 - no offer, moving to CA
Lawrent Rice - PG - 127 - offered (Shows as "warm" for Ohio State and Louisville)
Myles Colvin - SF - 75 - COMMITTED
Jermaine Coleman - SF - NR - contacted by Purdue
Joey Hart - SG - NR - visited 15-Jun (Holds offers from Northwestern, ISU, BSU, Wichita State, etc)
Owen Freeman - PF - NR - offer, visited 21-Jun Committed to Iowa
Sam Orme - SF - NR - visited 18-Jun (Butler appears to be only offer. Purdue, IU, Iowa watching)
Nolan Winter - SF - NR - contacted by Purdue (Holds offers from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Stanford, etc)
Dalen Davis - PG - NR - contacted by Purdue (Holds offers from Illinois, Nebraska, Stanford, etc)
John Blackwell - SG - NR - offer (Purdue doesn't show up on his 247 as having offered. Wisconsin does though, with a bunch of mid majors) - Committed to Wisconsin
Davion Hill - PG - NR - contacted by Purdue (no 247 page)
Kenneth Lewis - SF - NR - contacted by Purdue (no 247 page)
Christ Essandoko - C - NR - contacted by Purdue Committed to Providence
Carey Booth - PF - 70 - Offered (Shows as "warm" for Penn State)

Last edited:
Xavier Booker's profile on Rivals doesn't include Purdue as a program of interest. Maybe he's off their radar now.

Looking at Christ Essandoko and appears he committed to Providence in October.

I decided to start a NEW 2023 Recruiting thread. Hopefully this one will not get derailed......

Current Commits
Myles Colvin - SG
Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn - PG

Rayvon Griffith - SF - 41 - contacted by Purdue
Matas Buzelis - SF - 10 - offer, visited 30-Jun
Xavier Booker - PF - 96 - offer, visited 4-Sep
Dravin Gibbs - PG - 70 - COMMITTED
Brandon White - C - 38 - offer
Parker Friedrichsen - SG - 103 - offer, visited 2-Oct
Davius Loury - PF - 99 - offer
Lawrent Rice - PG - 127 - offer (Shows as "warm" for Ohio State and Louisville)
Joey Hart - SG - NR - visited 15-Jun (Holds offers from Northwestern, ISU, BSU, Wichita State, etc)
Sam Orme - SF - NR - visited 18-Jun (Butler appears to be only offer. Purdue, IU, Iowa watching)
Nolan Winter - SF - NR - contacted by Purdue (Holds offers from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Stanford, etc)
Dalen Davis - PG - NR - contacted by Purdue (Holds offers from Illinois, Nebraska, Stanford, etc)
John Blackwell - SG - NR - offer (Purdue doesn't show up on his 247 as having offered. Wisconsin does though, with a bunch of mid majors)
Christ Essandoko - C - NR - contacted by Purdue (Holds offers from Maryland, Illinois, TAMU, WF, Rutgers, Nebraska... impressive offer list if true)
Thanks! Very informative.

Brandon White's listing of schools on Rivals includes about 20, non of which are Purdue. It appears as if he's not an option.

With a PG and a F already committing, plus Berg coming in the prior year, is the strategy to just bring in the best available, like many NFL teams do in the draft? Or, is CMP and staff looking for more of a position-specific recruit?

Also Rayvon Griffith “narrowed” down to 10 but we are not in the list.

• Sad
Reactions: jtanoos1
It seems to me that Parker Friedrichsen and Xavier Booker are the most likely to join the class. It seems to me that Booker meets a bigger need, based on the shooters in the 22 class. Does this sound about right at this point?

Brandon White's listing of schools on Rivals includes about 20, non of which are Purdue. It appears as if he's not an option.

With a PG and a F already committing, plus Berg coming in the prior year, is the strategy to just bring in the best available, like many NFL teams do in the draft? Or, is CMP and staff looking for more of a position-specific recruit?
I saw that too! However, I saw this also......

Regardless of who we are going after, that person will be fighting for playing time early-on.
This is looking out to '24-'25
~~at the 5, Will Berg work out, will Furst be all we need at 5?
~~at the 4, we need a 4 with Heide (Gillis and Morton have this as an option year)
~~at the 3, will TKR or Wadell get injured
~~at the 2, Colvin may be gone - Painter tries to get long-term guys
~~at the 1, Gibbs/Lawhorn may be gone - Painter tries to get long-term guys (Smith coming the next year)
SO!!! Booker is super important ... as is an as yet totally unknown 7' 3" guy
Then, the next year, we need a 2, 3, and 4 if booker doesn't come... do-dah-day, so what else is new.

Last edited:
It seems to me that Parker Friedrichsen and Xavier Booker are the most likely to join the class. It seems to me that Booker meets a bigger need, based on the shooters in the 22 class. Does this sound about right at this point?
It does, but, in that it does...and makes sense...and has...but, that he remains seemingly luke warm at best from an interest standpoint, seems to me that it is not likely. It does not mean that it won't happen certainly, but, in that it has not happened...it just does not seem to bode well.

It does, but, in that it does...and makes sense...and has...but, that he remains seemingly luke warm at best from an interest standpoint, seems to me that it is not likely. It does not mean that it won't happen certainly, but, in that it has not happened...it just does not seem to bode well.
Yeah, I agree. Early on I thought he was a likely commit, but in reading more about him, Purdue is the farthest of the schools he’s considering, so that’s a lot to overcome.

he recently visited Oklahoma state, and he had very positive things to say. I know they always do, but it just seems like he’s going to end up at one of the Oklahoma schools.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

Current Commits
Myles Colvin - SG
Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn - PG

Rayvon Griffith - SF - 41 - contacted by Purdue Out of the Running
Matas Buzelis - SF - 10 - offer, visited 30-Jun
Xavier Booker - PF - 96 - offer, visited 4-Sep
Dravin Gibbs - PG - 70 - COMMITTED
Brandon White - C - 38 - offer
Parker Friedrichsen - SG - 103 - offer, visited 2-Oct
Davius Loury - PF - 99 - offer
Lawrent Rice - PG - 127 - offer (Shows as "warm" for Ohio State and Louisville)
John Blackwell - SG - NR - offer (Purdue doesn't show up on his 247 as having offered. Wisconsin does though, with a bunch of mid majors)
Christ Essandoko - C - NR - contacted by Purdue Committed to Providence
Man I love that format

Yeah, I agree. Early on I thought he was a likely commit, but in reading more about him, Purdue is the farthest of the schools he’s considering, so that’s a lot to overcome.

he recently visited Oklahoma state, and he had very positive things to say. I know they always do, but it just seems like he’s going to end up at one of the Oklahoma schools.
I was talking about Booker, but, with respect to Parker...with the commitments already...seems like an even longer shot...tough from a geographical standpoint, and, with competition on hand.

Booker is the opposite in that he is in Purdue's backyard...but, the longer that goes on (actually, to me, the fact that it is even still going on), the less likely it is Purdue...frankly, it should have already happened.

I was talking about Booker, but, with respect to Parker...with the commitments already...seems like an even longer shot...tough from a geographical standpoint, and, with competition on hand.

Booker is the opposite in that he is in Purdue's backyard...but, the longer that goes on (actually, to me, the fact that it is even still going on), the less likely it is Purdue...frankly, it should have already happened.
It’s still early. It could happen after the HS tournament. I think Furst committed in March his junior year. TKR didn’t happen until October of his senior year. I have a feeling UNC (after Jalen Washingtons injury) , Kentucky, and Duke will get in the mix though.

It’s still early. It could happen after the HS tournament. I think Furst committed in March his junior year. TKR didn’t happen until October of his senior year. I have a feeling UNC (after Jalen Washingtons injury) , Kentucky, and Duke will get in the mix though.
Yeah it’s super early still. Most top 100 kids seem to wait until at least the summer before their senior year to commit.

Yeah it’s super early still. Most top 100 kids seem to wait until at least the summer before their senior year to commit.
I might take a guess that part of the delay is we don't really have a visible plan B for his spot. Thus, it seems, the spot will stay open for him And yeah, I know he's way high ranked so there ought to always be a spot open...

Reactions: TX4GB
Cooley is a great coach and done a great job at Providence...I don't see it as any coincidence that Painter/Purdue have played them multiple times in pre-season scrimmages.
couple weeks ago I watched one of their games. They interviewed Cooley after the game and he showed a great personality too w/ the announcers trading back little jokes and such

Reactions: DAG10
couple weeks ago I watched one of their games. They interviewed Cooley after the game and he showed a great personality too w/ the announcers trading back little jokes and such
He does have a good personality...like say, not a coincidence that Purdue has hooked up with them a couple of times for the "secret scrimmages"...similar to the relationship with Huggins/WVU.

Did someone compare him to Lander? No way. DGL has a good outside jumper. Looks great and the competition at Montverde will make him better.
I can see similarity in the hairstyle and some what play. Young springy guards who can jump above the rim and create in the open court. I think Lander is more of a point guard than DGL. Just my 2¢

Is Purdue still in on Booker? I thought that there was some thought that they might be backing off...watched him live for the second time...whereas Smith is incredibly impressive...not the same with Booker. Athletic for sure...long...no motor though...really bad hands...despite size, not a big presence at either end...maybe it is in part because of being HS environment, but, have not been impressed either time that I have watched.

Not sure what the story is with Reggie Bass...only that he had a great offer list, and, that he committed, and, then decommitted, from Illinois.

Will be an entertaining game on Friday when Cathedral plays Tech...will be interesting to see if there are any fireworks or not after the last game, and, given the way both teams play.

Reactions: TX4GB
Is Purdue still in on Booker? I thought that there was some thought that they might be backing off...watched him live for the second time...whereas Smith is incredibly impressive...not the same with Booker. Athletic for sure...long...no motor though...really bad hands...despite size, not a big presence at either end...maybe it is in part because of being HS environment, but, have not been impressed either time that I have watched.

Not sure what the story is with Reggie Bass...only that he had a great offer list, and, that he committed, and, then decommitted, from Illinois.

Will be an entertaining game on Friday when Cathedral plays Tech...will be interesting to see if there are any fireworks or not after the last game, and, given the way both teams play.
I haven’t seen anything around Booker and Purdue in awhile. Maybe we have backed off. I found nothing on Bass and Purdue either. He went off for 40+ points in a game recently. Smart on his part to see how rosters shake out.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

With possibly only 1 spot left for 2023, maybe CMP can afford to be pretty choosy?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT