ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting

I saw that we should be in the top 5 for Ingram once he announces that in May. We’ll know more next month. Slow times after the great Furst announcement.

Need another deep run this year to make us an even more attractive destination.

Interesting take, but this is literally a fraction of what it takes to land a recruit.

The 2020 class, Big Ten schools (14 of them total) landed 1 five star recruit, and 6 total top 75 recruits.

From 2016-2020 classes, IU - 4 top 50 recruits, 12 four & five star recruits

That's basically the best recruiting in the Big Ten besides Michigan State, and more than Michigan.

A 17 year old today was born in 2003 - the furthest IU's ever been in their lifetime is the Sweet 16, and that's been 3 times in the last 18 years. And in those 18 years, they weren't even IN the NCAA Tournament 10 of the 18 years.

So this notion that they pick places by the success a team has in the NCAA Tournament...and that's what is holding Purdue back....

From 2012, but might still have some merit:

Absolutely -- there are A LOT of factors. And each recruit, the factors are COMPLETELY different.

This is why I tend to harp on what Purdue's doing for basketball as an athletic department. There are certain things that just can't be changed by the athletic department -- school size, location/climate, girls (it's one of the few schools that's strongly majority male), distance between classes, etc.

There are a number of things that athletics can help control: coaching staff, game day atmosphere, facilities, etc.

If you're a recruit in Indianapolis who kinda grew up an IU fan cause your parents are fans, and you're being recruited by Purdue and IU. The only way Purdue wins that battle of things we can control is because of coaching. Not game atmosphere, support staff, basketball facilities, etc.

But a lot of coaches are good at blowing smoke....so if a kid is looking at IU and Purdue. They go on visits to each for the Michigan State game which would be a great atmosphere for both places. The Purdue coaches point to a lot of success, but the IU coaches do a good sell too. Then you go through the facilities -- IU has a clear leg up.

I saw Purdue's doing a renovation of the team locker room. That's great and probably a needed refresh, but also not a game changer.

Purdue needs to identify areas where we can be the standard bearer, not the program playing catch up. It'd just be nice to see a vision laid out to support Painter, similar to what's been done for years now promoting Brohm.

Absolutely -- there are A LOT of factors. And each recruit, the factors are COMPLETELY different.

This is why I tend to harp on what Purdue's doing for basketball as an athletic department. There are certain things that just can't be changed by the athletic department -- school size, location/climate, girls (it's one of the few schools that's strongly majority male), distance between classes, etc.

There are a number of things that athletics can help control: coaching staff, game day atmosphere, facilities, etc.

If you're a recruit in Indianapolis who kinda grew up an IU fan cause your parents are fans, and you're being recruited by Purdue and IU. The only way Purdue wins that battle of things we can control is because of coaching. Not game atmosphere, support staff, basketball facilities, etc.

But a lot of coaches are good at blowing smoke....so if a kid is looking at IU and Purdue. They go on visits to each for the Michigan State game which would be a great atmosphere for both places. The Purdue coaches point to a lot of success, but the IU coaches do a good sell too. Then you go through the facilities -- IU has a clear leg up.

I saw Purdue's doing a renovation of the team locker room. That's great and probably a needed refresh, but also not a game changer.

Purdue needs to identify areas where we can be the standard bearer, not the program playing catch up. It'd just be nice to see a vision laid out to support Painter, similar to what's been done for years now promoting Brohm.
This is excellent. well-written!

In other 2021 news: Corey Evans just switched his prediction from Stanford to Purdue for Harrison Ingram, after originally picking Stanford just a couple weeks ago.

Was there any explanation cited? He has a pretty solid history, although of course who's to say that's his final prediction.

So have we completely given up on Chet Holmgren?

I saw an article from Mar 11 mentioning we are one of his top choices along with Gonzaga, Texas, and Minnesota. I think Minnesota and Gonzaga are the leaders but kind of want him to stay in the conference. I could see him play pro for a year based on the last post since he would stay in college only a year anyway. Seems like he would be a 7 foot wing with his build and skill set? I can’t see him banging inside based on what we saw with Haarms.

I saw an article from Mar 11 mentioning we are one of his top choices along with Gonzaga, Texas, and Minnesota. I think Minnesota and Gonzaga are the leaders but kind of want him to stay in the conference. I could see him play pro for a year based on the last post since he would stay in college only a year anyway. Seems like he would be a 7 foot wing with his build and skill set? I can’t see him banging inside based on what we saw with Haarms.

You have to take a guy like this if you can get him, even if he is only playing college ball for a year. It just solidifies the credibility of your program when you land a top 5 player.

You have to take a guy like this if you can get him, even if he is only playing college ball for a year. It just solidifies the credibility of your program when you land a top 5 player.

Are there people saying Purdue shouldn't?

Landing a top 5, 10, etc. recruit is great, but to act like it automatically provides credibility...it does if you do something with it. Of the top 3 recruits of 2020, 2 are committed: to Oklahoma State and Southern Cal. Let me know in 5 years how their programs are. The top 3 players last year went to Memphis, Washington and Georgia. Again, let's circle back in 5.

For example, Hardaway at Memphis had a show stopping class in 2019: 2 five star recruits and 5 four star recruits. Last season, they weren't going to make the tournament with that class. One has already declared, a good chance another will, and a 4 star guy is transferring. Their 2020 class has 2 three star recruits and 2021 has 0. So if they lose their 2 five star guys....great, they landed a couple great recruits but they didn't do anything with them.

Not here to say it will or won't help things, but I don't believe 1 player/recruit impacts a program that much these days...look at Trae Young/Oklahoma.

Landing a top 5, 10, etc. recruit is great, but to act like it automatically provides credibility...it does if you do something with it. Of the top 3 recruits of 2020, 2 are committed: to Oklahoma State and Southern Cal. Let me know in 5 years how their programs are. The top 3 players last year went to Memphis, Washington and Georgia. Again, let's circle back in 5.

For example, Hardaway at Memphis had a show stopping class in 2019: 2 five star recruits and 5 four star recruits. Last season, they weren't going to make the tournament with that class. One has already declared, a good chance another will, and a 4 star guy is transferring. Their 2020 class has 2 three star recruits and 2021 has 0. So if they lose their 2 five star guys....great, they landed a couple great recruits but they didn't do anything with them.

Not here to say it will or won't help things, but I don't believe 1 player/recruit impacts a program that much these days...look at Trae Young/Oklahoma.

The person I was replying to was questioning whether he's strong enough to bang inside and that he might only play a year. That's what I was replying to.

Appreciate your sermon. But we haven't exactly set the world on fire with recruiting. So you take the one and done, and use it as a means to attract other top recruits when you show what Painter can do with them, unlike Memphis, Okie St, LSU, Bama, etc...

Reactions: Do Dah Day

To me the question isn’t would Painter do something with them (and he certainly would have done better than Penny did with Memphis’ class) but rather, how much finite resources do you invest in a kid who will play at most 1 season, or maybe not at all.

I always think of Mike Davis recruiting Josh Smith to IU, only to see him go pro before ever setting foot on campus.

yep --- there are many things going on at the top of the top ... and now, highly probable, that the top 5 or so will go straight the the G-league. times, they are a-changin'

I do NOT have a guess at the answer to this, but, other than Homgren, which of these three are highly probable 1anddone?
Ingram, Cleveland, or Kaufman.

I do NOT have a guess at the answer to this, but, other than Homgren, which of these three are highly probable 1anddone?
Kaufman is the 97th rated player so extremely unlikely he is a 1 and done. Ingram is top 15 so he has a good shot. No idea who cleveland is.

No chance with Orkoro or with Kofi going pro?
Okoro. He was never coming to Illinois. Not much interest from either side.

Coaches expect Kofi back. His feedback from NBA has been mostly negative. He doesn’t fit today’s NBA without refining his shooting range and ballhandling skills.

20 years ago he would have been a lottery pick. Post up games are rare in today’s NBA.

Reactions: Schnelk
mink coats and escalades aren't what they used to be.

What you talkin bout, Day?

ForkedCloseHorse-size_restricted.gif

Forgot about Melo Trimble. Googled him -- he left Maryland early, went undrafted, never played an NBA game, played 1 season in the G league and was last playing in Spain.

Should’ve left after his freshman year. Textbook example as to why you should never comeback with a first round grade.

Should’ve left after his freshman year. Textbook example as to why you should never comeback with a first round grade.
I guess that his favorite tactic of throwing himself against his defender and throwing the ball at the basket was called differently in the NBA?

Reactions: njm8845
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT