ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting

I guess that his favorite tactic of throwing himself against his defender and throwing the ball at the basket was called differently in the NBA?

Possibly. Still would have been able to call himself a multi-millionaire though

I ordered my new whips, lashes, and scourges . . . the old ones were worn out. Ready for a brand new, refreshing, exciting, passionate, 4 years or so ,,,,,

Reactions: TX4GB
Ingram announces Top 10 on Monday. I was hoping it would be Final 5.

When I watch Trey Kaufman on video, I think of Vincent Edwards. He looks like a good shooter and a really versatile player. Of course, I’d love it if Ingram chose Purdue, but Kaufman for four years might top Ingram for 1 (as Ingram looks like a solid NBA prospect).

It looks to me that Kaufman and Furst both have the versatility to be great compliments to each other, not too mention the perimeter oriented 2020 class.

When I watch Trey Kaufman on video, I think of Vincent Edwards. He looks like a good shooter and a really versatile player. Of course, I’d love it if Ingram chose Purdue, but Kaufman for four years might top Ingram for 1 (as Ingram looks like a solid NBA prospect).

It looks to me that Kaufman and Furst both have the versatility to be great compliments to each other, not too mention the perimeter oriented 2020 class.

No way! If you have a shot at a one n done over a 4 year player, you take the one year guy all day and twice on Sunday.
Think about it: You're saying you like a less skilled player over an NBA prospect?

Reactions: purduepat1969
No way! If you have a shot at a one n done over a 4 year player, you take the one year guy all day and twice on Sunday.
Think about it: You're saying you like a less skilled player over an NBA prospect?
Depends on your time horizon.

For example, IU getting Romeo the year they did was next to worthless, because the roster wasn’t good enough to win big with him.

Or put another way, would you rather have landed Eric Gordon than E’Twaun? I wouldn’t have, because we weren’t winning big in 2007-08 with either one of them, but we had the potential to do so a year or 2 later, but not if Gordon left after one year.

Having said that, I would rather have Ingram for 2021-22, but I’d be super happy with Kaufman too.

We probably should have taken someone less capable for 4 years rather than Swanigan for 2, right? Is that how that logic works?

Reactions: bonefish1
Yep. Etwaun was fantastic. But when you get a chance at a 5 star player, you don't pass on him unless he's a pariah to your organization.
I was thinking about this ... and the reverse struck me as interesting.

Which would you, four years later, would you have regretted losing the most? Just a different way of looking at it.

I was thinking about this ... and the reverse struck me as interesting.

Which would you, four years later, would you have regretted losing the most? Just a different way of looking at it.

No argument. The Etwaun vs Gordon question is a tough one. But I just think that a program benefits from taking the absolute best players they can, regardless of how long they stay. Obviously there are exceptions, like Kyle Williams, and other players who are a detriment to your team's health.

Reactions: bonefish1
Depends on your time horizon.

For example, IU getting Romeo the year they did was next to worthless, because the roster wasn’t good enough to win big with him.

Or put another way, would you rather have landed Eric Gordon than E’Twaun? I wouldn’t have, because we weren’t winning big in 2007-08 with either one of them, but we had the potential to do so a year or 2 later, but not if Gordon left after one year.

Having said that, I would rather have Ingram for 2021-22, but I’d be super happy with Kaufman too.

There's no way to project how a player is going to turn out in 4 years compared to a 1 n done who's an NBA pick.
No coach is going to turn down a 1 n done because they think another player has better long term potential. That's crazy.
In college basketball, 1 player, even for 1 year, can be the difference between a bubble team and a FF team.
You always take the talent, and do the most you can with that talent, even if it's just for a limited time.
As for Gordon over Moore? It's debatable. We still only got to a S16 with Moore, so was his that much of a differencemaker?

You figure out a way to have a scholarship for BOTH of them if they’re willing to commit.

Reactions: Schnelk
@bonefish1 @New Pal Boiler I think the best argument for taking a 5* OAD player over a 4 year player is that when the 5* player has NBA success that only helps recruiting in the future. When you have a player like that, you now have an ambassador for your program that has made a name for themselves in the NBA. Moore has had a solid pro career, but Eric Gordon is obviously the bigger name in the NBA. I do think the players IU has gotten to the NBA has helped them in recruiting.

With that said, thankfully they haven’t found a coach able to utilize all that talent yet.

But yet you’d rather have Gordon? Mmmkay...

I didn't say that.
Obviously hindsight's 20/20, but the time, had Painter had the choice between Gordon, knowing he was a 1 n done and Moore, knowing he was a likely 4 year player, Painter would have taken Gordon without thinking twice.

@bonefish1 @New Pal Boiler I think the best argument for taking a 5* OAD player over a 4 year player is that when the 5* player has NBA success that only helps recruiting in the future. When you have a player like that, you now have an ambassador for your program that has made a name for themselves in the NBA. Moore has had a solid pro career, but Eric Gordon is obviously the bigger name in the NBA. I do think the players IU has gotten to the NBA has helped them in recruiting.

With that said, thankfully they haven’t found a coach able to utilize all that talent yet.
I understand that reasoning.

But- The fact is in that case, till Hummel went down we had a final four caliber team in 2010, and we wouldn’t have if we had signed Gordon instead of E’Twaun.

Reactions: Purdue80 and TX4GB
I didn't say that.
Obviously hindsight's 20/20, but the time, had Painter had the choice between Gordon, knowing he was a 1 n done and Moore, knowing he was a likely 4 year player, Painter would have taken Gordon without thinking twice.
Disagree.

There's no way to project how a player is going to turn out in 4 years compared to a 1 n done who's an NBA pick.
No coach is going to turn down a 1 n done because they think another player has better long term potential. That's crazy.
In college basketball, 1 player, even for 1 year, can be the difference between a bubble team and a FF team.
You always take the talent, and do the most you can with that talent, even if it's just for a limited time.
As for Gordon over Moore? It's debatable. We still only got to a S16 with Moore, so was his that much of a differencemaker?

Good points. Obviously with hindsight you take a player who is going to give you a 4 career such as that of Moore, but in the moment I think Gordon over Moore is a no-brainer.

I understand that reasoning.

But- The fact is in that case, till Hummel went down we had a final four caliber team in 2010, and we wouldn’t have if we had signed Gordon instead of E’Twaun.
I would agree... unless... the recruiting momentum from landing a player like Gordon lead to signing another stud. I’m just playing devils advocate haha. If we have to choose between a top 5 player for 1 year, or a top 30 player for 4 years, I would actually take the top 30 player. Now, if the option was a top 20 player for 1 year or a player ranked in the 80s for 4 years, I would take the top 20 player.

I would agree... unless... the recruiting momentum from landing a player like Gordon lead to signing another stud. I’m just playing devils advocate haha. If we have to choose between a top 5 player for 1 year, or a top 30 player for 4 years, I would actually take the top 30 player. Now, if the option was a top 20 player for 1 year or a player ranked in the 80s for 4 years, I would take the top 20 player.
Yeah, every scenario is different.

And let’s face it: CMP would have “found a spot” for Gordon if he wanted to come play with Moore. Maybe that would have been Martin’s scholarship.

Reactions: PurduePete98
It appears ... just judging by the abundantly ridiculous argument in this thread ... I'm not the only person getting bored out of my skull from the current martial law / quarantine ...

images

I like Moore, but again, he never got past the S16. Did he have a better college career than Gordon. Absolutely. But it's not like he was some sort of savior.
You are forgetting that at least one of those Purdue teams was ranked near the top and very well have made the FF if it weren’t for the Minnesota nightmare.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schnelk
You are forgetting that at least one of those Purdue teams was ranked near the top and very well have made the FF if it weren’t for the Minnesota nightmare.

I don't buy the "if it wasn't for X" argument for teams to make a FF. There's just way too may factors and unpredictability.
Would we have had a good chance with a health Hummel? Definitely better than without him. But they don't let you hang a banner for shouldas, wouldas and couldas.

I don't buy the "if it wasn't for X" argument for teams to make a FF. There's just way too may factors and unpredictability.
Would we have had a good chance with a health Hummel? Definitely better than without him. But they don't let you hang a banner for shouldas, wouldas and couldas.

?

I have no dog in this fight, but that argument wasn't being made.

ADVERTISEMENT