ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Class?

Apr 18, 2019
Well, we got Jaden Ivey, now who else would you guys like to see to finish the class out? As of right now we will have 3 scholarships to offer so that means we have 2 left! So let me hear it, which other two players would you guys want?

Have to think Hunter Dickinson is option A. I’d like to see us land a 2 or 3 guard or PF as that position seems possibly thin at this point. Assuming Haarms or Tre can play the 4 will be purely on matchups. Would never see it with teams that get out and run with 4 guards.

I'm basing my choices on guys I think we have decent shot at. So I would go with Morton and Carlson. If not Morton, Walton a nice consolation prize.

Well, we got Jaden Ivey, now who else would you guys like to see to finish the class out? As of right now we will have 3 scholarships to offer so that means we have 2 left! So let me hear it, which other two players would you guys want?

I'd take Morton due to versatility and Loveday as the Big to round out the class. Both seem like the Purdue fit.

My rankings. I would take 2 of the bigs if possible.

Bigs
1) Dickinson
2) Loveday
3) Justin Lewis
4) Carlson
5) Garcia

Guards
1) Cryer
2) Morton
3) Fletcher
4) Walton

Davis from LN and Pack from LN are high on my list. Davis would get the nod (currently committed to Nebraska) due to his height and versatility. Can play/guard 1-3. Both are currently playing with Ivey on the Heat. Also on that team is Furst. If we don’t get Dickinson, I would love to have Furst the following year. Carlson would be my first choice as he is a stretch 4 the biggest area of need IMO. Adding Davis fills the wing need with versatility to do it all. Pack would add an elite leader/pg which is also a need. If you gave me Davis or Pack and Carlson today I would take it in a heartbeat.

Davis from LN and Pack from LN are high on my list. Davis would get the nod (currently committed to Nebraska) due to his height and versatility. Can play/guard 1-3. Both are currently playing with Ivey on the Heat. Also on that team is Furst. If we don’t get Dickinson, I would love to have Furst the following year. Carlson would be my first choice as he is a stretch 4 the biggest area of need IMO. Adding Davis fills the wing need with versatility to do it all. Pack would add an elite leader/pg which is also a need. If you gave me Davis or Pack and Carlson today I would take it in a heartbeat.
I think we have a better chance with Dickinson than Furst. But that’s a hunch.

Reactions: ChuckJr
Dickinson is the key to an incredible class. Carlson fills a definite hole. Cryer or Taitz or Love would all be fine. I can fall onto the Pack bandwagon too. Morton is great, but seems to be at the end of a long line of solid players ahead of him.

Dickinson is the key to an incredible class. Carlson fills a definite hole. Cryer or Taitz or Love would all be fine. I can fall onto the Pack bandwagon too. Morton is great, but seems to be at the end of a long line of solid players ahead of him.
Are you saying he is behind Carlson,Cryer and Love?

I forgot Taitz! I might have him ahead of Walton on my wish list. Dow’s brother is in there as well. 2 Dows would be intimidating.

This beats the 80s as a kid when all we had was Street & Smiths magazine and the HS section in the back to get information and rankings. Hey, Antoine Joubert from Detroit listed Purdue along with 10 other schools. Troy Lewis has a picture! Todd Mitchell with a high honorable mention (no picture). Everette Stephens only an honorable mention.

I would say that Dickinson is gonna go somewhere that he can play right away and that we are out on Fletcher and Love. So for me that leaves either Morton/cryer/Galloway/Walton (leaning Walton and going all in on Lander) and then Carlson/Loveday (leaning Loveday).

I would say that Dickinson is gonna go somewhere that he can play right away and that we are out on Fletcher and Love. So for me that leaves either Morton/cryer/Galloway/Walton (leaning Walton and going all in on Lander) and then Carlson/Loveday (leaning Loveday).

We are not currently recruiting Loveday based on staff home visits and who staff is watching at AAU events.

Reactions: oldboiler52
We are not currently recruiting Loveday based on staff home visits and who staff is watching at AAU events.
Interesting. I saw that he quoted the tweet of Jaden committing with “” which could mean nothing but just thought it was a good sign.

Are you saying he is behind Carlson,Cryer and Love?
They fill different roles. Morton would be behind Sasha/Hunter/Newman/Ivey/Carlson(?) .... Cryer and Love are ONLY behind IT -- and maybe Hunter, and maybe Ivey - but Hunter and Ivey are natural SGs, not PGs.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
I still have great feelings about Dickinson. No reason, no info ... just great feelings ... whiskey does that for me at times.

They fill different roles. Morton would be behind Sasha/Hunter/Newman/Ivey/Carlson(?) .... Cryer and Love are ONLY behind IT -- and maybe Hunter, and maybe Ivey - but Hunter and Ivey are natural SGs, not PGs.
I think you are very much underestimating Love and Morton. They wouldn't be behind any of the players you mentioned. Cryer as well.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
From a style standpoint for Morton think Ty Jerome (Va.) for Walton think Jordan Poole (Mich.) IMO. Also, even though that is my wish list, I think we end up with Ivey, Walton, and Powell (from Indy Heat).
So Walton has a creepy mustache? Hard pass (TIC)

Powell just picked up an offer from Creighton so things are picking up for him. He might be an Ivey under the radar type that will blow up soon.

With Louisville offering Dickinson, maybe things have cooled for them around Loveday?

Hunter Dickinson then a top 100 SF with length and athleticism

Rather have Morton than Dickinson. Morton and Carlson would be great.

Honestly, I think Dickinson is a bit overrated. Having watched him, he’s just really, really big with some decent skill, but nothing special.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosierdog1
Powell just picked up an offer from Creighton so things are picking up for him. He might be an Ivey under the radar type that will blow up soon.

I need to see more from Kiyron before I can hop on that train. He sees the least amount of time on that team. He would be a project and Purdue could really use a 4 that could step in and contribute right away, even if only as a backup.

The other Powell on the Heat, Justin is gaining interest from Kentucky. Has loads of SEC offers and has had a really good season for the Heat so far. The Heat team absolutely loaded with hoopers. Not a bad plan to load up with as many of them as you can. If you can grab 3 from that team and really apply some “Heat” on Furst, I think we could steal him away from all the other teams that are calling. So, if we can’t land Morton/Carlson I would rather take a flyer on Powell than somebody else. But I don’t think we should give up on Morton/Carlson unless the writing is on the wall.

i like to see a 3 man class for 2020. If my numbers are correct, that would mean a full scholarship allotment for the 2020 season.

Seniors:
Haarms
Nojel

Juniors:
Sasha
Tre
Wheeler
Hunter

Sophs:
IT
Gillis
Newman
Dow

Freshman:
Ivey
Free
Free

At this point in time, Purdue has two more scholarships for the 2020 season barring a transfer or a early entrant to the NBA.

I'd like to see Ben Carlson & Hunter Dickinson added in with Ivey. CMP would likely end up having a 3 man class of Top 100 talent. That's a major recruiting win.

I think you are very much underestimating Love and Morton. They wouldn't be behind any of the players you mentioned. Cryer as well.
I was only using class-levels, not skills . . . I agree with your assessment. I thought the discussion was on "where do we have holes to fill?"

Reactions: BoilerIron
i like to see a 3 man class for 2020. If my numbers are correct, that would mean a full scholarship allotment for the 2020 season.

Seniors:
Haarms
Nojel

Juniors:
Sasha
Tre
Wheeler
Hunter

Sophs:
IT
Gillis
Newman
Dow

Freshman:
Ivey
Free
Free

At this point in time, Purdue has two more scholarships for the 2020 season barring a transfer or a early entrant to the NBA.

I'd like to see Ben Carlson & Hunter Dickinson added in with Ivey. CMP would likely end up having a 3 man class of Top 100 talent. That's a major recruiting win.
I think CMP would take 4 if he can get 4 kids he likes, under the assumption that Nojel and/or Haarms leave early.

Seniors:
Haarms
Nojel

Juniors:
Sasha
Tre
Wheeler
Hunter

Sophs:
IT
Gillis
Newman
Dow

Freshman:
Ivey
Free
Free

That would be a Final Four caliber team. Sign me up.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler

Reading this thread has been fun. So many different possibilities are out there, and I don't think I'd be disappointed with any of them that have been mentioned for the final 2 spots so far.

I just had time to watch the GBI highlights of Carlson and Walton linked below. Walton doesn't have much lift on shot and it has a little Hummel to it, but the results are pure as he often doesn't hit the rim on makes. Can't have enough 6'5 guards that can shoot IMO. I like Carlson better every time I see more of him too. Would be extremely happy to land either.

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/gold...ue-2020-targets-ben-carlson-and-kerwin-walton

Reactions: DrEss
Justin Lewis committed to Marquette. I don’t think we were in pursuit even though we popped up in his top 10.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT