ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Painter to his assistants on the 1st day of basketball next season....

Abugabby

Junior
Jun 1, 2001
Painter: "Alright fellas, time to mold our plan for the season. What do we have?"
Assistant 1: "Coach, we have a ton of athleticism and excellent 3 point shooting."
Assistant 2: "Coach, we've got the best point guard in the country."
Assistant 3: "Coach, we've got 2 guys over 7' 2" with guard/forward skills that can shoot the 3."
Assistant 4: "Coach, we've got ridiculous depth."

Next year is going to be so uptempo and fun!

Last edited:
Painter: "Alright fellas, time to mold our plan for the season. What do we have?"
Assistant 1: "Coach, we have a ton of athleticism and excellent 3 point shooting."
Assistant 3: "Coach, we've got 2 guys over 7' 2" with guard/forward skills that can shoot the 3."

seems like his first order of business should be...

"Hi. My name is Matt, welcome to Purdue"

Suppose the accelerated turnaround of the transfer portal and coaching carousel may keep our assistants from getting head coaching opportunities they otherwise should, but I have to think 1 or 2 will get their own gigs and we might see Sasha or PJ get poached for full time assistant jobs elsewhere if Matt doesn't want to just bump them up a spot or two (as he may want them to leave and expand their network of coaching contacts like he did).

I do honestly wonder just what the plan will be. Assuming we don't unexpectedly lose key contributors (can't write off anything in the NIL era and transfer portal), you would think we'll look to utilize Colvin and Heide far more as well as Catchings (depending on how quickly he adjusts physically). Hard to believe the 3 point shooting will be "as" prolific as we're going to be losing the automatic offensive rebounding threat that Edey provided, not to mention the gravitational pull he attracted to the paint. We should be able to be a bit more aggressive defensively with vastly improved guard depth, which we will need to do without Zach altering and blocking shots.

I sort of worry we might try and play too much like this year, assuming that TKR will be able to fill Edey's role and that someone will emerge to fill the veteran leadership roles vacated by Gillis and Morton, to say nothing of the spark that Lance brought to the table this season. Every year is a completely new team, so hopefully next year doesn't see itself as needing to defend the results of this season, rather as a group that needs to earn accolades of it's own.

“You get a car. You get a car. You get a car. You get a car.”

"More uptempo", but you are not going to leave Trey out of the post. He is just too solid in there and will be used there some, if not a lot

seems like his first order of business should be...

"Hi. My name is Matt, welcome to Purdue"

Suppose the accelerated turnaround of the transfer portal and coaching carousel may keep our assistants from getting head coaching opportunities they otherwise should, but I have to think 1 or 2 will get their own gigs and we might see Sasha or PJ get poached for full time assistant jobs elsewhere if Matt doesn't want to just bump them up a spot or two (as he may want them to leave and expand their network of coaching contacts like he did).

I do honestly wonder just what the plan will be. Assuming we don't unexpectedly lose key contributors (can't write off anything in the NIL era and transfer portal), you would think we'll look to utilize Colvin and Heide far more as well as Catchings (depending on how quickly he adjusts physically). Hard to believe the 3 point shooting will be "as" prolific as we're going to be losing the automatic offensive rebounding threat that Edey provided, not to mention the gravitational pull he attracted to the paint. We should be able to be a bit more aggressive defensively with vastly improved guard depth, which we will need to do without Zach altering and blocking shots.

I sort of worry we might try and play too much like this year, assuming that TKR will be able to fill Edey's role and that someone will emerge to fill the veteran leadership roles vacated by Gillis and Morton, to say nothing of the spark that Lance brought to the table this season. Every year is a completely new team, so hopefully next year doesn't see itself as needing to defend the results of this season, rather as a group that needs to earn accolades of it's own.
I see more up-tempo, but Matt is not going to ignore Trey's ability on the blocks...and I have hope that Caleb as a senior and a faster game becomes more effective on offense. Lot of pieces, but we don't know for certain how they will fit, but Purdue will return talent as well an influx of talent

One disappointment in Furst is he still doesn't have a low post game. His scoring inside is mostly off Offensive rebounds. Trey has a low post game. Furst has shown signs he can hit the 3. Maybe Furst should work on his outside shot as he could be a threat if he can hit the 3 consistently next season pulling opposing defender's out of the lane.

There is ONE Freshman starting in the 20 final four starters. I think there are 13 Seniors (too lazy to go back and look) ... We will have three Juniors and two sophomores. I am pretty sure that will prove correct. I predict Catchings will play a lot, but not start ....

I love what I've seen from Cam the past month. He is really coming on at the defensive end. Give him another summer in the weight room and another 6 months of preparation, and I think we will see a very good defensive player.
I think he is already pretty good right now and doing as you say will only help him

Reactions: Do Dah Day
No rim protection. We've become very spoiled. Gonna take some lumps in the paint next year.
Yep. Defensive rebounding is not even a concern with Zach. That’s why I’m not 100% sold that Trey will start at the 5. We would need some size at the 4 if he does.

Yep. Defensive rebounding is not even a concern with Zach. That’s why I’m not 100% sold that Trey will start at the 5. We would need some size at the 4 if he does.
Have a long time to see what develops there. I imagine Caleb and Berg will help with some of the rebounding while I'm guessing Jacobsen will shirt

The best rim protector IMO you left off HUGE mistake Raliegh Burgess he is the most physical and a coin toss between him and Daniel as to who is the best shot blocker. IMO
from watching videos that I posted here, Jacobsen is a really good shot blocker and I think Paint nurses him along next year w/ some PT. There's a reason why he reclassified

One disappointment in Furst is he still doesn't have a low post game. His scoring inside is mostly off Offensive rebounds. Trey has a low post game. Furst has shown signs he can hit the 3. Maybe Furst should work on his outside shot as he could be a threat if he can hit the 3 consistently next season pulling opposing defender's out of the lane.
I'll be shocked if Furst doesn't hit the portal after Purdue wins the natty.

Coach Painter probably has an opening day speech all ready in his back pocket. Coming into last season(after Trey, Jaden, etc left) Purdue had to replace 68% of it's scoring, 50% of it's rebounding and 78% of it's assists and went on to win the conference while starting two freshman guards. With Ivey leaving Painter had to adjust the style of play for that season. Not saying we'll see the same level of success but there's really good talent coming in and I expect that Painter will adapt to the new level of athleticism. They may take awhile to gel early but it'll be fun to watch the team develop and grow throughout the season.

Coach Painter probably has an opening day speech all ready in his back pocket. Coming into last season(after Trey, Jaden, etc left) Purdue had to replace 68% of it's scoring, 50% of it's rebounding and 78% of it's assists and went on to win the conference while starting two freshman guards. With Ivey leaving Painter had to adjust the style of play for that season. Not saying we'll see the same level of success but there's really good talent coming in and I expect that Painter will adapt to the new level of athleticism. They may take awhile to gel early but it'll be fun to watch the team develop and grow throughout the season.
Maybe, for a change, we'll see a team struggle early and take off during February and March. Fine with me.

IMO no chance the Jacobsen's agree to redshirt. Daniel playing in Brownsburg this weekend.
@PaBoiler78 makes a good point "as well" that I forgot with him reclassifying. It appears to me in the little video I've seen that Jacobsen has a high ceiling. I keep forgetting about Burgess who was sold on Purdue with the quality of "people" Matt had assembled. Definitely a reload not rebuild. There will be a learning curve

Reactions: oldboiler52
The best rim protector IMO you left off HUGE mistake Raliegh Burgess he is the most physical and a coin toss between him and Daniel as to who is the best shot blocker. IMO
Huge mistake on someone I've never watched play a minute of hoops.. sure.........
Your're saying he'll be our most physcial player? Over Furst and TKR?
Wowza! I look forward that and hope you are right.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT