Waddell offered

still dyin' on that hill...

🤪

"Recon!"

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: purduepat1969
No such thing

There certainly is in every endeavor. You need to read the book Peak.

Let me give you an example with chess since it is clearer to illustrate. A grand master can glance at a chess board for a couple of seconds and then could tell you where all the pieces were. If, however, the pieces were just randomly placed and not a result of an actual game they could get the position of only 2-3 pieces correct. That is chess IQ. Same thing with what is going on in a basketball game. Hummel has the ultimate basketball IQ.

Wayne Gretzky had it in hockey, he went to where he knew the puck was going to be.

Would you say that the Baylor players possessed high basketball IQ or were they just really good, athletic basketball players?
Baylor had really good/athletic basketball players regardless of their basketball IQ...but, there absolutely were Baylor players that have a high basketball IQ.

You can choose to ignore it if you wish, but, it absolutely is a thing...and, it is something that distinguishes players, some way more so than others.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
There certainly is in every endeavor. You need to read the book Peak.

Let me give you an example with chess since it is clearer to illustrate. A grand master can glance at a chess board for a couple of seconds and then could tell you where all the pieces were. If, however, the pieces were just randomly placed and not a result of an actual game they could get the position of only 2-3 pieces correct. That is chess IQ. Same thing with what is going on in a basketball game. Hummel has the ultimate basketball IQ.

Wayne Gretzky had it in hockey, he went to where he knew the puck was going to be.
Not sure you can compare chess to basketball.
Basketball is based more on athleticism, not brains.
Would you say Big Dog had a high basketball IQ?
Etwaun?
How about Biggie?
Carsen Edwards?
Ivey?
Do all of them have high basketball IQ?

• Haha
Reactions: Indy_Rider
His high school coach stated that he has a high basketball IQ. I'm sure that if you took it up with him, he would just roll his eyes, like everyone else does.
What’s his high school coach supposed to say? That he lacks court awareness?

Baylor had really good/athletic basketball players regardless of their basketball IQ...but, there absolutely were Baylor players that have a high basketball IQ.

You can choose to ignore it if you wish, but, it absolutely is a thing...and, it is something that distinguishes players, some way more so than others.
Who would you say on the current Purdue team has the highest basketball IQ?

Etwaun?
How about Biggie?
Carsen Edwards?
Ivey?
You’re not getting it. It’s about anticipating what the other players on the court/field will do, before they do it, then making the best decision to benefit your team based on that information.

Baylor had a very talented team AND high basketball IQ. LSU, on the other hand, was very talented, and played dumb basketball.

Etwaun?
How about Biggie?
Carsen Edwards?
Ivey?

That was just an example to clarify. As I said Wayne Gretzky described it as skating to where the puck is going to be. I believe in the book Peak Anders describes an experiment with expert volley ball players. Something like they show them a still shot of part of the court and they explain what is going to happen.

I know Vic Braden could tell before a professional player was about to serve whether the serve would be in or not.

Baseball players don't hit the ball based on seeing the ball. They know where the ball is going to be based on the pitcher's motion. That is why all-star MLB players can't hit a top girl softball pitcher.

Reactions: BBG and mathboy
lol. When you feel you need attention, you derail threads with absolute silliness. And what you don't understand does not exist. I get it.
Thats lenny for ya. He has been doing that for a very long time and it's one of those things where you worry about him if he doesn't. He's a Purdue fan through and through, he just has no real concept of what all goes in to playing basketball at the college level. But none of us really do when push comes to shove.

However I will say the term "basketball IQ" is used frequently from those that coach/play/have played so it is most certainly something that exists. Denying it is well, just an excuse to not just admit he was wrong and move on.

That was just an example to clarify. As I said Wayne Gretzky described it as skating to where the puck is going to be. I believe in the book Peak Anders describes an experiment with expert volley ball players. Something like they show them a still shot of part of the court and they explain what is going to happen.

I know Vic Braden could tell before a professional player was about to serve whether the serve would be in or not.

Baseball players don't hit the ball based on seeing the ball. They know where the ball is going to be based on the pitcher's motion. That is why all-star MLB players can't hit a top girl softball pitcher.

LOL um.. this is not true at all. They absolutely see the ball LOL

Sorry, but having coached baseball, having played baseball, and being a baseball fanatic for my many years, I will tell you that you're totally wrong. See the ball...hit the ball. I've always taught watching the seams and their rotation and time your swing accordingly. Your eyes follow the ball onto the bat.

Thats lenny for ya. He has been doing that for a very long time and it's one of those things where you worry about him if he doesn't. He's a Purdue fan through and through, he just has no real concept of what all goes in to playing basketball at the college level. But none of us really do when push comes to shove.

However I will say the term "basketball IQ" is used frequently from those that coach/play/have played so it is most certainly something that exists. Denying it is well, just an excuse to not just admit he was wrong and move on.
He may be a Purdue fan, but he fits the description of IU fans he claims to hate. Delusional, mindlessly refuses to accept facts, ties his own self-esteem to the performance of college kids, and enjoys running down Purdue players.

Reactions: BBG
Sorry, but having coached baseball, having played baseball, and being a baseball fanatic for my many years, I will tell you that you're totally wrong. See the ball...hit the ball. I've always taught watching the seams and their rotation and time your swing accordingly. Your eyes follow the ball onto the bat.

If hitting is all about seeing the ball, why can't major league all-stars even get a bat on a softball pitched by a top women's softball pitcher? The softball is larger and moving slower.

Last edited:
If hitting is all about seeing the ball, why can't major league all-stars even get a bat on a softball pitched by a top women's softball pitcher? The softball is larger and moving slower.

Because the distance a SB is pitched from is considerably shorter than 60'6". Thus, velocity is greater with less time. Proves my point that you have to see the ball to hit it. My oldest son was a very good HS baseball player...offered by several D1's. His wife played collegiate and he could never hit her pitches. Apples to donuts my friend.

so, does every NHL player have high hockey IQ?
Does every MLB 300 hitter have high baseball IQ?
For 40 years, is it the lack of bball IQ that’s kept Purdue from the FF?

so I’ll ask again: who on the current roster has high bball IQ and who doesn’t? I just want to make sure I know the criteria we’re using.
Does every player who makes the NBA have high bball IQ because obviously, their the best players in the world.

Arguing with Lenny is reminiscent of arguing with a wife. Even when you present him with facts you are wrong.
Facts? Some of you numb skulls mistake your personal opinion with irrefutable facts. Hate to break it to you, but there’s a big difference in the two.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
He may be a Purdue fan, but he fits the description of IU fans he claims to hate. Delusional, mindlessly refuses to accept facts, ties his own self-esteem to the performance of college kids, and enjoys running down Purdue players.

still waiting for you list of the current roster ranked by bball IQ. (Or are you worried about hurting someone’s feelings and they might transfers)?

Watch/listen 8:10 >>> thru a little bit.

Would Waddell fit that description? Competitive, smart, skilled? (...but with some deficiencies - those three attributes being the most important)

"...you've taken smart players who have some deficiencies, but their deficiencies are not their skill level or their IQ or their competitive spirit..."

"... it's not track and field..."

:cool:

so I’ll ask again: who on the current roster has high bball IQ and who doesn’t? I just want to make sure I know the criteria we’re using.
Does every player who makes the NBA have high bball IQ because obviously, their the best players in the world.
And see here you go again moving the goalposts. First you were adamant that basketball IQ wasn't a thing, now you are changing it up to players on the team.

Never change lenny.

still waiting for you list of the current roster ranked by bball IQ. (Or are you worried about hurting someone’s feelings and they might transfers)?
You are changing the subject again. If you can't read your own posts in this thread and not see delusion -- or if you don't at least roll your eyes -- then you have proved my point.

After seeing your response to Waddell's coach saying Brian has a high basketball IQ, I understand how reasoning people must feel who try to convince flat-earthers that the planet is spherical. Their minds are made up. Stop confusing them with facts.

I may also be starting to understand why the concept of IQ offends you.

Draymond Green: 6'6" 230 lbs, PF, played at MSU
33" vertical
season 3pt% - 25.6%

3x All star, 2x All NBA, 1x DPOY, 5x All Defense

Miles Bridges: 6'6" 225 lbs, PF, played at MSU
40" vertical
season 3pt% - 39.1%

2019 dunk contest

Any explanation?

Because the distance a SB is pitched from is considerably shorter than 60'6". Thus, velocity is greater with less time. Proves my point that you have to see the ball to hit it. My oldest son was a very good HS baseball player...offered by several D1's. His wife played collegiate and he could never hit her pitches. Apples to donuts my friend.

So women must have better eye sight than men to be able to hit a pitched softball? Did you read the article I posted?

Edit: My wording has been poor. Of course the hitter sees the ball but doesn't hit the ball based on seeing it. A human's reaction time, processing what it sees and sending a signal to the body to swing, is too slow. A subconscious processing of the pitcher's motion and release of the ball determines where the hitter is going to swing.

That processing of a pitcher's motion and release is something that one who has been just playing baseball cannot do when facing a softball pitcher.

Last edited:
And see here you go again moving the goalposts. First you were adamant that basketball IQ wasn't a thing, now you are changing it up to players on the team.

Never change lenny.

you guys are too easy to lead down the golden brick road.

You are changing the subject again. If you can't read your own posts in this thread and not see delusion -- or if you don't at least roll your eyes -- then you have proved my point.

After seeing your response to Waddell's coach saying Brian has a high basketball IQ, I understand how reasoning people must feel who try to convince flat-earthers that the planet is spherical. Their minds are made up. Stop confusing them with facts.

I may also be starting to understand why the concept of IQ offends you.
Oh Lil Andy, my naive friend.
Do you not understand the question?
it doesn’t matter who says something about bball IQ, there’s no such thing. There’s either good players or not so good players. If there were such a thing as bball IQ, does every NBA player have a high level? Answer the question.

Oh Lil Andy, my naive friend.
Do you not understand the question?
it doesn’t matter who says something about bball IQ, there’s no such thing. There’s either good players or not so good players. If there were such a thing as bball IQ, does every NBA player have a high level? Answer the question.
I said I get it. In your mind, IQ doesn't exist.

When provided the information that Waddell's coach said that he had a high basketball IQ, you replied, "What’s his high school coach supposed to say? That he lacks court awareness?"

This illustrates and explains your aversion to a measurement for intelligebce.

But just like I would humor a child's silly question: I don't pay attention to the NBA (I also doubt that you do), but as I recall, only about 1% of college players get drafted by the NBA, and many of them do not stick. That's a pretty elite number. Do you think they are the absolutely most athletic 1% of college players, even if they never developed an understanding of team basketball? Don't bother answering. My eyes are getting tired from rolling them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B
Larry Bird had extremely high basketball IQ. Not a physical specimen. Not an elite athlete. Just a crazy smart basketball player who could pass, handle the ball, and hit shots from anywhere on the court. You really can't argue that.

I said I get it. In your mind, IQ doesn't exist.

When provided the information that Waddell's coach said that he had a high basketball IQ, you replied, "What’s his high school coach supposed to say? That he lacks court awareness?"

This illustrates and explains your aversion to a measurement for intelligebce.

But just like I would humor a child's silly question: I don't pay attention to the NBA (I also doubt that you do), but as I recall, only about 1% of college players get drafted by the NBA, and many of them do not stick. That's a pretty elite number. Do you think they are the absolutely most athletic 1% of college players, even if they never developed an understanding of team basketball? Don't bother answering. My eyes are getting tired from rolling them.

You're missing the point: The players who make the NBA (the 1%) are the absolute best players in the world. They have a combination of athleticism, skill, and intangibles that the other 99% don't have as much of.
No level of Bball IQ is going to elevate a player to NBA level if he doesn't have the necessary athleticism and skill to begin with.
For example, let's take Nojel Eastern.
Was he high or low bball IQ?
He certainly had NBA size, athleticism and defensive abilities, but he didn't have the ball handling or shooting to play in the NBA. He could be the headiest player in the world, but that doesn't make up for a lack of offensive production.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Larry Bird had extremely high basketball IQ. Not a physical specimen. Not an elite athlete. Just a crazy smart basketball player who could pass, handle the ball, and hit shots from anywhere on the court. You really can't argue that.

You're right, I wouldn't argue that. But, you're talking about one of top 10 players of all time. He's an outlier. But, if Bird was an average to below average shooter, it didn't matter what his Bball IQ was.

I'm still waiting for someone to respond on whether Carson Edwards had a high Bball IQ?

You're right, I wouldn't argue that. But, you're talking about one of top 10 players of all time. He's an outlier. But, if Bird was an average to below average shooter, it didn't matter what his Bball IQ was.

I'm still waiting for someone to respond on whether Carson Edwards had a high Bball IQ?
So you think Magic Johnson was an elite shooter or an elite athlete? Certainly he must be one or the other if basketball IQ doesn’t exist.

So you think Magic Johnson was an elite shooter or an elite athlete? Certainly he must be one or the other if basketball IQ doesn’t exist.

Again, you're talking about a Top 10 all-time player. That's like saying "Well, Michael Jordan........."
Magic and Bird are outliers.
Plus, I think the game has changed quite a bit since they played 40 years ago. The NBA (right or wrong) is much more of a 1 on 1 game where you have 6'11 guys shooting 3s, handling the ball, and where athleticism and the ability to score is much more valued above all else.
My issue with the term "Basketball IQ" implies that a player can overcome a lack of athleticism or skill ( and it's almost always applied to white players for some reason) by outsmarting the opponent. This simply isn't the case. Sure, there's players who are very good at anticipating, seeing angles, knowing where the ball needs to go, etc. But I think that's just part of what separates avg from above avg players. But, without the skill and athleticism to compete at a P5 level, no level of Bball IQ (or whatever we want to call it) is going to make up for it.

Yeah, because Bird was a terrible passer and had zero awareness of what other players around him were doing or were going to do. Any NBA player can hit wide open shots. It takes a special and smart NBA player to put himself in a position to have reasonable shots to take and make. Sasha can hit open shots, but he often gets shut down by great defenders. Larry Bird had Michael Cooper guarding him on many occasions and was never shut down. You can believe what you want to believe, but in a sea of athletes in the NBA, only the highest basketball IQ players rise to the top.

Some of the highest IQ players in history...
John Stockton
Chris Paul
Dirk Nowitzki
Steve Nash
I could go on...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT