ADVERTISEMENT

Waddell offered

So, you can be a great player and not have a high bball IQ?
My issue with the term is that it's usually reserved for a certain type of player (not overly athletic, usually white, etc) and used as a replacement term to compensate where the player lacks skill and athleticism.
So that a fan or coach basically says "Yeh, he's not a great athlete but he makes up for it by playing smart". Which is fine, but at this level and when you're trying to make Final Fours, I don't think you make up for great athletes who also happen to be great ball players by saying someone has a high basketball IQ and because of that, can consistently compete with these other guys.
:rolleyes:

Reactions: Purdue85
My issue with the term is that it's usually reserved for a certain type of player (not overly athletic, usually white, etc) and used as a replacement term to compensate where the player lacks skill and athleticism.
So that a fan or coach basically says "Yeh, he's not a great athlete but he makes up for it by playing smart". Which is fine, but at this level and when you're trying to make Final Fours, I don't think you make up for great athletes who also happen to be great ball players by saying someone has a high basketball IQ and because of that, can consistently compete with these other guys.
Wow. You just don't seem to get it. I'll just stop right here because anything I say will be twisted and turned by you into what you want to believe...

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Look at the pic of Baez in your article. His form is exactly where everything needs to be. Eyes to the ball hitting the bat, belt buckle to the ball.

How does where the batter is looking prove anything? Where else would the batter be looking?

A human’s reaction time is about 200-300 ms. It takes 400 ms for a pitched ball to leave the pitcher’s hand to cross the plate. A batter has to decide where to swing well before the ball is half-way to the plate.

Explain why Albert Pujols, Barry Bonds, Willie Mays, Willie McCovy, Brooks Robinson, Roberto Clement, and Harmon Killebrew were not able to hit a pitched softball but girls who play softball can?

Reactions: Schnelk
How does where the batter is looking prove anything? Where else would the batter be looking?

A human’s reaction time is about 200-300 ms. It takes 400 ms for a pitched ball to leave the pitcher’s hand to cross the plate. A batter has to decide where to swing well before the ball is half-way to the plate.

Explain why Albert Pujols, Barry Bonds, Willie Mays, Willie McCovy, Brooks Robinson, Roberto Clement, and Harmon Killebrew were not able to hit a pitched softball but girls who play softball can?
It's really quite simple. The players you named have high baseball IQ but low softball IQ.

I think what he's referencing is the old adage, "keep your eye on the ball".

in reality, a hitter's eye is simply unable to follow the complete flight of the ball. but, the more they can follow the ball, the more successful they will be at the plate.

All too many 'hitters' ... *ahem* ... pull off the ball, and don't "keep their head in" to watch the flight of the ball.

I've studied (and coached) a number of hitters. And, the hitters you can work with, and coach, to get to follow the flight of the ball will have a much, MUCH better average contact experience (average, exit velo, etc).

If they don't "fly open"... if they don't get out front of the ball, if they can be disciplined at the plate ... they'll have much better results.

It’s not an all or nothing deal. All players have some level of basketball IQ. Just like they all have some level of size, length, speed, quickness, shooting ability, etc. And it can improve over time, at least some components of it, as you play more games, see more defenses and offenses. So Jaden could have average BB IQ at 18, and a higher BB IQ at 25. And I am sure he will.

Honestly, anyone who has played basketball at any level at all knows this. Or football.

It's rather ironic that people are arguing with bonefish about IQ. That guy has the IQ of an eggplant to begin with and I am convinced now more than ever he is not even a Boiler. He rails entirely too much against Purdue for him to be one.

It's rather ironic that people are arguing with bonefish about IQ. That guy has the IQ of an eggplant to begin with and I am convinced now more than ever he is not even a Boiler. He rails entirely too much against Purdue for him to be one.
Nah. He’s a Purdue guy. Mistaken as he may be about Shaka, BB IQ and ND football. Pretty sure @DAG10 knew him in school. There was a thread on here a few years ago where they discussed mutual friends.

in reality, a hitter's eye is simply unable to follow the complete flight of the ball. but, the more they can follow the ball, the more successful they will be at the plate.

All too many 'hitters' ... *ahem* ... pull off the ball, and don't "keep their head in" to watch the flight of the ball.

I've studied (and coached) a number of hitters. And, the hitters you can work with, and coach, to get to follow the flight of the ball will have a much, MUCH better average contact experience (average, exit velo, etc).

If they don't "fly open"... if they don't get out front of the ball, if they can be disciplined at the plate ... they'll have much better results.

I played baseball up to college and then a little bit after. I've faced guys who threw 90+ and guys who threw breaking balls that buckled your knees. I do believe that when facing a guy who throws really, really hard, there's a little bit of guess work involved because you simply don't have time to decide after the ball is about 1/3 of the way to the plate.
On a breaking ball, sometimes you can pick up the rotation, or the arm slot is different but you still have to swing where you think the ball will be, not where it is. Which might have some explanation of why MLB hitters have trouble hitting an olympic softball pitcher. Everything looks different, including the ball movement. Granted, you're talking the best players in their sport in the world, but it is a strange phenomenon.

Last edited:
Reactions: boilermaker75
It’s not an all or nothing deal. All players have some level of basketball IQ. Just like they all have some level of size, length, speed, quickness, shooting ability, etc. And it can improve over time, at least some components of it, as you play more games, see more defenses and offenses. So Jaden could have average BB IQ at 18, and a higher BB IQ at 25. And I am sure he will.

Honestly, anyone who has played basketball at any level at all knows this. Or football.

But a player like Jaden can make up for a perceived lower bball IQ with his athleticism. Even if his bball IQ didn't improve by 1% pt (which is impossible to measure), he's still getting drafted and will make a ton of $ playing bball.
On the other hand, someone like Gillis, who you think has a high bball IQ, he could improve his IQ by 50% and it's not going to make a difference in terms of his pro prospects.

But a player like Jaden can make up for a perceived lower bball IQ with his athleticism. Even if his bball IQ didn't improve by 1% pt (which is impossible to measure), he's still getting drafted and will make a ton of $ playing bball.
On the other hand, someone like Gillis, who you think has a high bball IQ, he could improve his IQ by 50% and it's not going to make a difference in terms of his pro prospects.
What does pro prospect potential have to do with BB IQ? There's not much BB IQ in today's NBA...

Reactions: DAG10
What does pro prospect potential have to do with BB IQ? There's not much BB IQ in today's NBA...
You need NBA level talent in the college game to make deep tourney runs and have consistent FF potential.
You may not like the NBA and the style of play, but the talent to make the NBA is still really important.

Let me explain it this way. Let me get a collegiate SB pitcher. Let her throw five balls to you. You hit one I'll donate $50 to your favorite charity. You don't hit one, you donate to mine.

Let me explain it this way. Let me get a collegiate SB pitcher. Let her throw five balls to you. You hit one I'll donate $50 to your favorite charity. You don't hit one, you donate to mine.
Or get one of the New Pal girls that is going to Illinois or Louisville.

I'm sure this important piece of information has already been written somewhere in the first 218 posts of this thread, but...

Wow, that kid looks a lot like his old man! Almost took me back to the mid-90s.

Why don’t you read the peer-reviewed scientific studies?

I’ll help you find some of them,

“From Eye Movement to Actions” How Batsmen Hit the Ball,” Nature Neurosciene, Vol 3, no 12, pages 1340-1345.

“Visual Reaction Time and High-Speed Ball Games,” Perception, vol 16, No. 1, pages 49-59.

“For Everyone Who Has Been Told to “Keep Your Eye on the Ball,”” American Scientist, May-June.

“On the Problem a Human Confronts in Trying to Hit a Fastball,” Robert K. Adair, The Physics of Baseball.

Here is an experimental study in which they determined where the batter’s eyes were when they hit the ball and guess what? It wasn’t on the ball!

I'm sure this important piece of information has already been written somewhere in the first 218 posts of this thread, but...

Wow, that kid looks a lot like his old man! Almost took me back to the mid-90s.
Definitely see the resemblence -- a more stretched out version. I would love to cheer for another Waddell in a Purdue uniform.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Definitely see the resemblence -- a more stretched out version. I would love to cheer for another Waddell in a Purdue uniform.
Oh, yeah, Brian is definitely taller and lankier. Makes his old man look like Chris Kramer!

Matt Waddell played for some really good Purdue teams. Fun times back then. Hope his son experiences similar success for the Old Gold and Black.

DAGs a good guy.
Appreciate that, and, I can/would/do say the same about you.

Completely off-topic and unrelated, I was just up in Elkhart...visited some of the schools actually related to work.

Hope that you are/all is well.

Nah. He’s a Purdue guy. Mistaken as he may be about Shaka, BB IQ and ND football. Pretty sure @DAG10 knew him in school. There was a thread on here a few years ago where they discussed mutual friends.
A Purdue guy indeed...although he does have a bit of a flaw with some partiality to ND as you noted. There are not many Marquette guys if you will, so, he can pretty easily join that faction!

Appreciate that, and, I can/would/do say the same about you.

Completely off-topic and unrelated, I was just up in Elkhart...visited some of the schools actually related to work.

Hope that you are/all is well.

Now that they've combined Central and Memorial, Elkhart is starting to flex it's athletic muscle a little bit. Much bigger talent pool to pull from. They would have had some state contenders in both FB and BB back in the 80's with some of that talent they had.
in fact, and I'm sure already know this, I believe this is the first year Elkhart (granted, combined team) beat Penn since the early 80s.

Now that they've combined Central and Memorial, Elkhart is starting to flex it's athletic muscle a little bit. Much bigger talent pool to pull from. They would have had some state contenders in both FB and BB back in the 80's with some of that talent they had.
in fact, and I'm sure already know this, I believe this is the first year Elkhart (granted, combined team) beat Penn since the early 80s.
They merged Memorial and Central? Clearly I don’t pay attention to local news now that I don’t live in the area.

My dad went to St. Joe in the 60’s and talked about how his favorite football team to play was Penn. Said as a starter it was great to relax on the bench as the beat up on the farm kids.

Last edited:
Indeed...the last time they beat Penn was '82, at Penn...Penn missed an extra point and lost 10-9.

Combining the schools has indeed paid off in some ways on the athletics side, and, it will.

Having a Powlus at QB for Penn helped Elkhart's chances...haha.

Indeed...the last time they beat Penn was '82, at Penn...Penn missed an extra point and lost 10-9.

Combining the schools has indeed paid off in some ways on the athletics side, and, it will.

Having a Powlus at QB for Penn helped Elkhart's chances...haha.

I remember going to the Central/Penn game in about 84 at Penn when they had the old cluster system and the winner went to the playoffs.
Central had great talent at the skilled positions with Larkin, Lovelady, Dennis & David Robinson, Lavar Johnson, probably forgetting a few, and of course Schnell at QB. I think they were 1 and 2 in 5A in the state and Schnell was in SI and the No 1 rated QB in the country.
Penn, as always, won the battle in the trenches and shut down the Central high powered offense. (although it was widely speculated that Penn let the grass grow extra long to try to make the field a little slower....)

They merged Memorial and Central? Clearly I don’t pay attention to local news now that I don’t live in the area.

My dad went to St. Joe in the 60’s and talked about how his favorite football team to play was Penn. Said as a starter it was great to relax on the bench as the beat up on the farm kids.

Yeh, it was pretty controversial.

I know some people from St. Joe. Had to guard Rodney Holmes when I was in 7th grade. I think he dropped about 40 on me.

I remember going to the Central/Penn game in about 84 at Penn when they had the old cluster system and the winner went to the playoffs.
Central had great talent at the skilled positions with Larkin, Lovelady, Dennis & David Robinson, Lavar Johnson, probably forgetting a few, and of course Schnell at QB. I think they were 1 and 2 in 5A in the state and Schnell was in SI and the No 1 rated QB in the country.
Penn, as always, won the battle in the trenches and shut down the Central high powered offense. (although it was widely speculated that Penn let the grass grow extra long to try to make the field a little slower....)
I was there as well...just on the other side of the field than you.

Central was absolutely loaded...Purdue had actually recruited both Larkin and Mark Stevens from that team. David Robinson played after EC at Tri-State (now Trine), and, his brother Dennis went on to a very successful career at Western Michigan.

Andy Parameter was the QB at Central when they beat Penn in '82.

I had gone to a Purdue/Miami, FL game at Ross-Ade the morning after the regular season meeting of those teams likely, and, Schnell and his family were there and Jimmy Johnson spent a great deal of time with them.

Sadly, David Robinson and David Schnell have both passed away...both lived in Elkhart and were actively involved in the community, and, both were great guys.

I can confirm the grass had not been cut...and that the sprinklers ran for the better part of a week as well!

I was there as well...just on the other side of the field than you.

Central was absolutely loaded...Purdue had actually recruited both Larkin and Mark Stevens from that team. David Robinson played after EC at Tri-State (now Trine), and, his brother Dennis went on to a very successful career at Western Michigan.

Andy Parameter was the QB at Central when they beat Penn in '82.

I had gone to a Purdue/Miami, FL game at Ross-Ade the morning after the regular season meeting of those teams likely, and, Schnell and his family were there and Jimmy Johnson spent a great deal of time with them.

Sadly, David Robinson and David Schnell have both passed away...both lived in Elkhart and were actively involved in the community, and, both were great guys.

I can confirm the grass had not been cut...and that the sprinklers ran for the better part of a week as well!
Dude, you've always had an encyclopedic knowledge and photographic memory of sports history. Pretty impressive.
We were good friends with all those guys. I used to date Parameters young sister. ha ha.
I had 3 older sisters at Central before me and they were good friends with a lot of the football players. Schnell and those guys used come over and hang out at our house all the time. He's thrown me off the dock more than once. Really sad about his passing. i remember Dave, Randy Schnieder and Ernie Jones being the IU/Elkhart connection down there in the mid 80's.

Reactions: DAG10
Yeh, it was pretty controversial.

I know some people from St. Joe. Had to guard Rodney Holmes when I was in 7th grade. I think he dropped about 40 on me.
I played with Rodney, and against him, a number of times...great player/great kid...exceptionally talented individual...he partnered at St. Joe. with Darran Teamor (who I think you may have gone to school with also at some point maybe in Elkhart)...who was exceptionally talented as well, and, a better person than player. Those guys both went on to Ball St. then, where Rodney played basketball and Darran played football.

No shame at all in Rodney dropping 40 on you...he dropped 40 on a lot of guys.

Dude, you've always had an encyclopedic knowledge and photographic memory of sports history. Pretty impressive.
We were good friends with all those guys. I used to date Parameters young sister. ha ha.
I had 3 older sisters at Central before me and they were good friends with a lot of the football players. Schnell and those guys used come over and hang out at our house all the time. He's thrown me off the dock more than once. Really sad about his passing. i remember Dave, Randy Schnieder and Ernie Jones being the IU/Elkhart connection down there in the mid 80's.
Randy was someone that I really looked up to (literally and figuratively)...tremendous football player and another really good guy.

Back then, IU had more of a pipeline with guys from that area than Purdue did...Larry Luther was a bit before that, but, he played at IU as well...Ross (The Boss) Hales was our age but followed on the heels of Schnell/Schneider and Jones.

Randy was a giant...but a gentle one...for the most part. I know that he later was working at Bloomington South with the football team there as I saw him and his wife (who had gone to MS and HS with us) at a Bucket Game down there.

Elkhart Central had a long line of talented guys, most that were multi-sports guys as well...and, Schnell was someone that I later worked with and got to know really well...we talked Purdue/IU smack all of the time.

Randy was someone that I really looked up to (literally and figuratively)...tremendous football player and another really good guy.

Back then, IU had more of a pipeline with guys from that area than Purdue did...Larry Luther was a bit before that, but, he played at IU as well...Ross (The Boss) Hales was our age but followed on the heels of Schnell/Schneider and Jones.

Randy was a giant...but a gentle one...for the most part. I know that he later was working at Bloomington South with the football team there as I saw him and his wife (who had gone to MS and HS with us) at a Bucket Game down there.

Elkhart Central had a long line of talented guys, most that were multi-sports guys as well...and, Schnell was someone that I later worked with and got to know really well...we talked Purdue/IU smack all of the time.
Ok now that I’ve rekindled the walk down Elkhart Memory Lane, are we getting Waddell or what?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT