ADVERTISEMENT

Waddell offered

Since when?
Better tell Magic, Dennis Scott, Glen Rice, Jalen Rose, Ben Simmons, etc etc etc that they arent guards.
Anyway we dont really divide guys into G,F,C anymore so much as PG, Wing, Stretch 4, and Big. I'm assuming he's a Wing.
I meant at Purdue.

I'm late to the party, but this offer makes a ton of sense. I hope he commits.

No reason to go into next year with two open scholarships, regardless of how good the team is projected to be. Using them on random transfers that ride the pine might upset team chemistry. Sure you have to go after transfers, but the stud guards who also buy into team ball and have goal of winning above individual success will be rare IMO. If Purdue can find a Mike Smith, Chaundee Brown that wants to compete in a loaded backcourt then go for it obviously.

I don't want to say Waddell is a can't miss, but knowing the pedigree of his father and a recent comp from the same Carmel program with no high major offers in Cline, it seems like he has a high floor as a solid rotational piece for a winning team in 2-3 years.

What I really like is that with his growth spurt and athleticism, his ceiling could be much higher than the Cline, Sasha's, and Smiths who have had success under Painter. He could be something in the mold of the Stauskas, Duncan Robinson, and Franz Wagner that Michigan's always had. Again, that is very best case and probably unlikely as those guys all got to the NBA level, but I will take something in between for that 12-13 scholarship every time. Especially if it is a Purdue kid who understands the culture that has already been well established.

I'm late to the party, but this offer makes a ton of sense. I hope he commits.

No reason to go into next year with two open scholarships, regardless of how good the team is projected to be. Using them on random transfers that ride the pine might upset team chemistry. Sure you have to go after transfers, but the stud guards who also buy into team ball and have goal of winning above individual success will be rare IMO. If Purdue can find a Mike Smith, Chaundee Brown that wants to compete in a loaded backcourt then go for it obviously.

I don't want to say Waddell is a can't miss, but knowing the pedigree of his father and a recent comp from the same Carmel program with no high major offers in Cline, it seems like he has a high floor as a solid rotational piece for a winning team in 2-3 years.

What I really like is that with his growth spurt and athleticism, his ceiling could be much higher than the Cline, Sasha's, and Smiths who have had success under Painter. He could be something in the mold of the Stauskas, Duncan Robinson, and Franz Wagner that Michigan's always had. Again, that is very best case and probably unlikely as those guys all got to the NBA level, but I will take something in between for that 12-13 scholarship every time. Especially if it is a Purdue kid who understands the culture that has already been well established.
Now that we’ve offered him, WE BETTER GET HIM!!

Not sure if it has already been discussed, but does this offer mean there will be no transfer guards or is there still room for one?

Not sure if it has already been discussed, but does this offer mean there will be no transfer guards or is there still room for one?
I think we have 2 openings with Dow and Wheeler leaving. If he accepts we would have 1. I wonder if Painter would wait to do anything until he has assistants lined up. One of those assistants might have a relationship with a kid that he can bring along.

I wonder how much of this offer was prompted by Brown decommitting. Cause it sounds like Waddell will play out his career in that class.

Is loyer, waddell, and Heidi too similar to have all in one class?

Reactions: Schnelk
I wonder how much of this offer was prompted by Brown decommitting. Cause it sounds like Waddell will play out his career in that class.

Probably creates some balance issues at the guard position if we take Waddell and Heidi. Granted we will lose 2 (Hunter & Sasha) at the end of this year and if Ivey has a great year we could be down 3 guards. Size and experience are the 2 biggest keys to success in March.

Edey was on painter's radar. He just wasn't his first choice. You may recall painter's top target was Dickinson. His second target was Kalkbrenner who went to Creighton. But Painter was actively recruiting Edey as a fall back plan. and Edey chose Purdue over Baylor.

Wadell is an interesting choice. the best guy on the best team. Some are saying he's a lot like cline. that would be nice. Some say he's a lot like his dad, which would be nice too.

he has some other offers including Loyola which is a pretty good basketball team.

i have no doubt he will fit in well in painter's system. I have to wonder what transfers Painter was actually recruiting. I see him more as a 3 with ball handling skills, much like Hummel, Sasha Mathias and Cline. At 6'7, he'd create some mismatches at SG.

it was said today that painter's offer came with the caveat that he redshirt his first year. you know my opinion on redshirting. This would mean he'd start playing games with the 2022 class. Would he ever start ahead of Loyer ? I doubt Loyer would redshirt.

As many others have said, scholarships are at a premium. and as a guard or 3, he doesn't project to be much more than a role player. he's sort of like Sasha - a late recruiting addition. I don't foresee him ever being a starter, but he may prove useful. We could definitely do worse.

it appears the question "some" on this board have is if we could have done better? i don't know. most everybody in his class has already signed. I also haven't seen any of the top transfers including Purdue in their top 5 of places they'd like to transfer to. Giving him a scholarship means it will be for 4 years.

a 6'7 guard who is intelligent and can shoot. that's not a bad combo.

the question i would raise. Purdue is rated #3 in the preseason poll for next year. Would you rather painter added Wadell who he has already said he will redshirt next year. or would you rather painter go all in per se and added a couple of experienced transfers to help win a tournament game? I believe i would have preferred painter went all in and brought in 2 experienced players rather than one he planned on redshirting.

and who's my source for painter's plan for redshirting Wadell? BRIAN's home page article.

The longer this goes, the less likely he will commit.

Now that he's on the radar of a major D1 program, he may wait it out, until another offer comes along that will allow him to play right off the bat. Hopefully his dad is in his ear.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I am a little surprised about making the redshirt decision this early in the process. Has that happened before with Painter and a recruit? I totally get being upfront and honest, but this putting a redshirt label on the offer seems a bit unnecessary. Let the recruit survey the situation and let him know who he would need to beat out for minutes next year. Then give the PT to whoever earns it. I thought that was the Painter way.

Reactions: Inspector100
I am a little surprised about making the redshirt decision this early in the process. Has that happened before with Painter and a recruit? I totally get being upfront and honest, but this putting a redshirt label on the offer seems a bit unnecessary. Let the recruit survey the situation and let him know who he would need to beat out for minutes next year. Then give the PT to whoever earns it. I thought that was the Painter way.
Painter is being upfront with the terms and conditions of the offer. Feel like most kids don’t get that honesty.

Edey was on painter's radar. He just wasn't his first choice. You may recall painter's top target was Dickinson. His second target was Kalkbrenner who went to Creighton. But Painter was actively recruiting Edey as a fall back plan. and Edey chose Purdue over Baylor.

Wadell is an interesting choice. the best guy on the best team. Some are saying he's a lot like cline. that would be nice. Some say he's a lot like his dad, which would be nice too.

he has some other offers including Loyola which is a pretty good basketball team.

i have no doubt he will fit in well in painter's system. I have to wonder what transfers Painter was actually recruiting. I see him more as a 3 with ball handling skills, much like Hummel, Sasha Mathias and Cline. At 6'7, he'd create some mismatches at SG.

it was said today that painter's offer came with the caveat that he redshirt his first year. you know my opinion on redshirting. This would mean he'd start playing games with the 2022 class. Would he ever start ahead of Loyer ? I doubt Loyer would redshirt.

As many others have said, scholarships are at a premium. and as a guard or 3, he doesn't project to be much more than a role player. he's sort of like Sasha - a late recruiting addition. I don't foresee him ever being a starter, but he may prove useful. We could definitely do worse.

it appears the question "some" on this board have is if we could have done better? i don't know. most everybody in his class has already signed. I also haven't seen any of the top transfers including Purdue in their top 5 of places they'd like to transfer to. Giving him a scholarship means it will be for 4 years.

a 6'7 guard who is intelligent and can shoot. that's not a bad combo.

the question i would raise. Purdue is rated #3 in the preseason poll for next year. Would you rather painter added Wadell who he has already said he will redshirt next year. or would you rather painter go all in per se and added a couple of experienced transfers to help win a tournament game? I believe i would have preferred painter went all in and brought in 2 experienced players rather than one he planned on redshirting.

and who's my source for painter's plan for redshirting Wadell? BRIAN's home page article.
But according to some on here it’s 100% the players decision. Painter NEVER asks players to redshirt. Oh wait...

Positionless basketball. (eg. UCLA)

This situation is a bit unique. It's pretty clear BW is not physically ready for life in the B1G. He reminds me of Ryne Smith a few years back, who definitely should have RS'd. Give him a year plus with our training staff and nutritionists, and he'll have a much better shot of contributing.

Best player on the best 4A team in Indiana! What’s not to like...
I really hope he accepts. Very little risk and potential huge reward. For him and for Purdue.

Was it mentioned that his dad -- one of my all-time favorite Boilers -- redshirted his freshman year? I would expect that it would not be seen as a negative in that family.

I really hope he accepts. Very little risk and potential huge reward. For him and for Purdue.

Was it mentioned that his dad -- one of my all-time favorite Boilers -- redshirted his freshman year? I would expect that it would not be seen as a negative in that family.
His Dad redshirted, primarily because he was going in to the Pharmacy school and it was/is a 5 year program. The BEST reason to redshirt... academics!! Unless you are a sure fire pro, every kid should redshirt. Why not get the extra year of school paid for?? If you can't get your Bachelor's in 5 years, you probably should have gone to trade school, and if you're sharp enough to get that Bachelor's in 4 or less... welcome to Grad school! If you develop into a pro... so be it and git on with yo' bad self!

I don't don't see why? Loyer is a 1/2 and Heidi and Waddell are probably closer to a 3/4 skillset wise than a 2. Its not like there would be a spacing issue

Last edited:
Moving closer to 5 Ryan Clines.

74fbdc181cf987f832be99b71810b682.png

~Bulldog6969 approves

I don't don't see why? Loyer is a 1/2 and Heidi and Waddell are probably closer to a 3/4 skillset wise than a 2. Its not like there would be a spacing issue
I agree, though I think Fletcher is more of a 2. To me it’s like bringing in Dakota and Vince in the same class. Nothing wrong with having two versatile players who can pass and shoot. I really think that you can’t have too many shooters.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
The more I think about this offer, the more I like it. The best players from the three top teams in the state, each winning the last 2 state championships in their class. Two are physically capable of being instant contributors in the Big Ten. The 3rd, a late bloomer with a huge upside, can be brought in to spend a year getting to that level as a redshirt.

Some guys like Waddell used to go the JUCO route to develop and get noticed. Anyone remember Mark Atkinson? Now it seems they are going to lower division schools and if they do raise their game, they transfer to a bigger program. Waddell has the opportunity to jump to where most late-bloomers hope to be. And Purdue would get him for his entire term of eligibility.

This reminds me a bit of Bryant McIntosh -- a late bloomer who was only recruited by 2nd and 3rd tier schools. He never did get a rating on Rivals, but was "discovered" and offered late by several name programs and became an impact player in the Big Ten. I hope Waddell commits.

Makes me wonder if we would have offered Barnhizer if he waited. I do like Waddell’s upside. Carmel did beat Lafayette Jeff in a close one.

Makes me wonder if we would have offered Barnhizer if he waited. I do like Waddell’s upside. Carmel did beat Lafayette Jeff in a close one.
For a 4/5 year program guy I prefer Waddell personally. I believe he would be more likely to stay through his development and probably not as apt to look to transfer if playing time doesn't come quickly in the first 2 or 3 years in the program.

Before the Purdue offer...

Carmel’s Brian Waddell, one of the most underrated hoopsters in Hoosierland, has snagged offers from Miami (OH) and Indiana State and is seeing his recruiting takeoff as his Greyhounds squad prepares for its state title showdown this weekend. Waddell (6-7) is a natural lights-out shooter just like his dad (former Purdue Boilermaker and Tipton alum Matt Waddell), but he’s a grinder as well — he attacks the glass, plays blood-&-guts defense and puts his body to the test, diving for loose balls, setting screens for the pick-and-pop.​

A 6'7" kid who can handle the ball and shoot the ball, and fully understands the importance of tough defense.

Not sure what there is to not like about the addition.
If he’s a 6’7 kid who can handle the ball and shoot, then he’d have a lot of the big boys after him. That’s Robbie Hummel.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT