ADVERTISEMENT

Waddell offered

Not sure of the particulars, and a little surprised on the surface, but, saw that Purdue offered Brian Waddell today apparently.
Saw that too - from what I was read he is a late bloomer and was a critical piece to Carmel's state title (20 & 10). Listed at 6'7 SG and assuming he will have some ability to put some muscle on his frame.

Saw that too - from what I was read he is a late bloomer and was a critical piece to Carmel's state title (20 & 10). Listed at 6'7 SG and assuming he will have some ability to put some muscle on his frame.
I think those statements are all true, but, still a bit surprised if this is not a preferred walk-on situation, as, late bloomer or not...critical piece to Carmel or not...with the current situation being what it is in college basketball as already discussed in a couple of other threads, scholarships are at a premium, and, there are more guys available than ever before...many with experience, and now, immediate eligibility.

Like I said in an earlier thread, you will never get 13 guys that all expect to play and keep them all happy. Brain is a perfect end of the bench guy who might just develop into a star someday. Until that day comes, he will be a good practice player and all the while he’ll be happy to be a Boiler. I hope he accepts!

I think those statements are all true, but, still a bit surprised if this is not a preferred walk-on situation, as, late bloomer or not...critical piece to Carmel or not...with the current situation being what it is in college basketball as already discussed in a couple of other threads, scholarships are at a premium, and, there are more guys available than ever before...many with experience, and now, immediate eligibility.
Maybe it’s a one year scholarship, with the understanding that he might need to walk on the year after? I have no idea if that’s even a thing, just speculation.

A 6'7" kid who can handle the ball and shoot the ball, and fully understands the importance of tough defense.

Not sure what there is to not like about the addition.
Without going into any detail or overthinking this, does it seem odd that Purdue is the ONLY school that might have seen what it is that you suggest? Or, for the same reason that many (including me) have bashed the clowns to the south, if his last name was not what it is and his Dad had not played at Purdue, that Purdue would have offered?

Again...right now...scholarships are more valuable than ever, as, guys are going to be coming and going at so many places and with such frequency...for that matter, this may have been better handled in that regard...see what he did at Kent St. and then whether a scholarship that became available made sense.

I really liked his Dad when he played at Purdue...Brian is a solid player...but, I am hard pressed to believe that Purdue stumbled on to something that everybody else missed, and, that if he was not a legacy, that he would have even been stumbled upon.

Not his fault in any way...an incredible opportunity for him...I am sure he gets that and understands and appreciates it...I am certain that he will value it and do all that he can to make the most of it...and, I hope for his/Purdue's and our own as fans' sake that it is something that works out and goes great.

The kid is a D-1 player. I liked what I saw from him. Purdue was smart to offer him..
Don't disagree...but, being a D-1 player, and, being a P5 player are not one and the same.

Ask yourself where he would have played in last night's game...or at UCLA...or Houston. More importantly, ask how he would hold up against the likes of those same schools...keeping in mind that Corey Kispert is an All-American that was rendered virtually invisible last night.

FWIW, I texted his brother-in-law a while ago and asked his height and he said he thought he was every bit of 6'7" and more wingspan than a typical 6'7".
He is definitely long...no doubt about that. Heady as well...definitely a high basketball IQ.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
He is definitely long...no doubt about that. Heady as well...definitely a high basketball IQ.
since it is out-"Purdue offered him a scholarship today. Brian is quicker and jumps higher, and I think he has a chance to be pretty special when he matures physically. Has all the intangibles his Dad had, and stays calm and cool in big moments."

Don't disagree...but, being a D-1 player, and, being a P5 player are not one and the same.

Ask yourself where he would have played in last night's game...or at UCLA...or Houston. More importantly, ask how he would hold up against the likes of those same schools...keeping in mind that Corey Kispert is an All-American that was rendered virtually invisible last night.
I guess if he comes to Purdue you will know in four years. He needs to mature physically. But like his game and mental toughness. Big moments don't seem to affect him..

Without going into any detail or overthinking this, does it seem odd that Purdue is the ONLY school that might have seen what it is that you suggest? Or, for the same reason that many (including me) have bashed the clowns to the south, if his last name was not what it is and his Dad had not played at Purdue, that Purdue would have offered?

Again...right now...scholarships are more valuable than ever, as, guys are going to be coming and going at so many places and with such frequency...for that matter, this may have been better handled in that regard...see what he did at Kent St. and then whether a scholarship that became available made sense.

I really liked his Dad when he played at Purdue...Brian is a solid player...but, I am hard pressed to believe that Purdue stumbled on to something that everybody else missed, and, that if he was not a legacy, that he would have even been stumbled upon.

Not his fault in any way...an incredible opportunity for him...I am sure he gets that and understands and appreciates it...I am certain that he will value it and do all that he can to make the most of it...and, I hope for his/Purdue's and our own as fans' sake that it is something that works out and goes great.

Seem odd?

We just had a thread which discussed Baylor's key players who were a perfect fit for their historic run, but were very much "under the radar" players.

Very recently, we also had a thread about Gordon Hayward. Purdue, Butler and IUPUI were the only schools to offer, and he's now part of Indiana basketball lore (and, a multi-year NBA'er).

I'm moderately interested in what happens with B Waddell. We've had two scholarships open up, at a time when we have our interior full for the foreseeable future. He gives us something we can likely use on the perimeter, and possibly other ways.

Now... the usual naysayers who carp, b*tch and moan about Painter, his recruiting, as well as individual players will continue to find fault (NOT including you in this). They'll do their usual b*tching and moaning with no accountability if/when said b*tching is off the mark.

I find myself scratching my chin, with a "hmmmmmm".... thinking about the pros and cons.

Not sure if/where/when he fits, but it's an interesting move.

since it is out-"Purdue offered him a scholarship today. Brian is quicker and jumps higher, and I think he has a chance to be pretty special when he matures physically. Has all the intangibles his Dad had, and stays calm and cool in big moments."
Those are fair points and seemingly accurate statements as well.

He had a very Jon Octeus-esque dunk on Gunn on Saturday night that made me chuckle...I was considering him a quasi-Purdue guy at that point, dunking hard and on an IU guy.

He is as quick/quicker than Matt...and he without question jumps higher and is longer to your previous post...and, I would agree as well with the assertion that he is calm and cool in big moments.

If he is a truly great shooter, at his height, he may help at some point. If he is not an elite shooter, it would be a pass for me. You really need guys who can shoot and we are a bit short in that department right now. I like the Boheim comparison. He may be a redshirt candidate as he looks pretty slim. A year in the weight room as well as developing his skills, who knows? Edey wasn't exactly on the radar and I'm pretty sure we are all glad he is a Boiler.

Trying to project where this kid will be in 3, 4, or 5 years is a bit futile. Also how deep did those teams go? Did the teams you mentioned have players that did not see much playing time, or were all 13 players evenly splitting minutes? Everyone has a role on a team. As others have mentioned, it’s not a bad thing to have someone on the end of the bench that’s comfortable with their role. Plus 2 scholarships became available thanks to the transfer portal. We now have a 3 person class, which helps to balance things out scholarship-wise. Seems like a low risk, decent reward situation.

Seem odd?

We just had a thread which discussed Baylor's key players who were a perfect fit for their historic run, but were very much "under the radar" players.

Very recently, we also had a thread about Gordon Hayward. Purdue, Butler and IUPUI were the only schools to offer, and he's now part of Indiana basketball lore (and, a multi-year NBA'er).

I'm moderately interested in what happens with B Waddell. We've had two scholarships open up, at a time when we have our interior full for the foreseeable future. He gives us something we can likely use on the perimeter, and possibly other ways.

Now... the usual naysayers who carp, b*tch and moan about Painter, his recruiting, as well as individual players will continue to find fault (NOT including you in this). They'll do their usual b*tching and moaning with no accountability if/when said b*tching is off the mark.

I find myself scratching my chin, with a "hmmmmmm".... thinking about the pros and cons.

Not sure if/where/when he fits, but it's an interesting move.
Well stated, and, good points.

It is interesting...and intriguing. Baylor, to your point (and one that I had made also) did a tremendous job of finding guys that fit, and, Painter has generally done well in that regard also.

I am not a naysayer on this matter...and, Painter has reached on some guys that have certainly had an impact, namely Mathias, Cline and Grady.

Like say, for him, for Purdue and for us as fans...if he does come, I hope it is a great thing for all...I know he will do his part to make it a possibility.

Reactions: Purdue85
Trying to project where this kid will be in 3, 4, or 5 years is a bit futile. Also how deep did those teams go? Did the teams you mentioned have players that did not see much playing time, or were all 13 players evenly splitting minutes? Everyone has a role on a team. As others have mentioned, it’s not a bad thing to have someone on the end of the bench that’s comfortable with their role. Plus 2 scholarships became available thanks to the transfer portal. We now have a 3 person class, which helps to balance things out scholarship-wise. Seems like a low risk, decent reward situation.
Good points as well...something that I said actually in discussing this vary matter this afternoon with my son in that we have watched him play a number of times the past two years was the point you made about guys that know (and accept) their roles and being comfortable with them.

The kid is a late bloomer. I believe he grew significantly within the last year. He did not have the spring/summer evaluation period for AAU. I'm sure he would have a better offer list had that occurred.

In his run to the state championship he led his team to wins over several teams with big time players (Smith from Westfield, Goode and Loyer from Homestead, Barnihizer from Jeff, the kid from Gary West, and Gunn from Lawrence North). In several of those games he was clutch. Ill take the best player from the best high school team in Indiana any day.

Either way, doesn’t look like more than a practice player. He isn’t an upgrade on any of our 6 guards. He isn’t an upgrade on Kaufman, Furst, or Gillis either.

Just seems like a waste of a scholarship. I’m wondering if his dad asked Painter to throw out an offer to get other schools interested.
If he can handle the ball and consistently hit the open 3, he’s an upgrade over Wheeler.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT