ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Edey is the most significant men's Boilermaker Bballer ever

Apr 1, 2019
I think it's hard to argue against that. And, I'm grateful that CMP offered him, he accepted, and then set about working his butt off to become a 2-time NPOY, and took Purdue to the NCAA title game. But, is he the BEST player to ever to wear a Purdue uni? For me, I don't think anyone comes close to Big Dog. So, I'd have to rank Zach second behind GRob despite all of the records and trophies he leaves with. Zach was a 20-10 guy. Glenn was a 30-10 guy. I would have loved to have had #13 play at least full three seasons. That probabaly was never going to happen even if he hadn't lost his freshman year to Prop 48. But, I think he would have obliterated the Purdue and B1G record books had he played 3 full years.

IMO:
Depends on what you mean by "most significant." In terms of overall impact on the sport, John Wooden would have to be at the top.

Most talented Boilermaker? Perhaps, but how do you really compare Edey's talent to, say, Glenn Robinson or Joe Barry Carroll?

Most dominant player? Damn good chance Zach takes that cake.

Best scorer? Zach is the all-time leader, but Rick Mount did it in more ways with fewer games.

Rick Mount.
No 3-point line for Rick.
You young guys don't know what you missed.
🧑‍🚀 Rick the Rocket.

And many of the his shots would have been beyond the arc. Such as that shot where he would drive towards the corner and launch it.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
It's a coin flip between Edey and Mount, as far as "significance." When it comes to "best player" it is between Edey and Robinson, in my opinion. I would probably give the nod to Zach in case one, and to Glenn in case two.

Zach carried Purdue to the final game on his back. They reached the final four for the first time in 44 years, he delivered that. He’s the all time leading scorer and rebounder. 2 time NPOY. Don’t care how many seasons or games he played in, he cemented his place as the Purdue GOAT. Best, significant, whatever else you want to call it in Purdue history. it’s Zach Edey.

This is not a flame

I respect Zach Edey. He is undoubtedly one of the all-time greats in CB basketball history, and arguably Boilermakers best player ever. That said, I don't see Edey as a lottery pick or a high pick player TBH.

The biggest flaw is he's kind of slow, has little offensive game outside of the post. If he played in the 80s or 90s he would be the GOAT but he doesn't have an outside presence, which is needed in today's NBA. Can't be dunking the ball all the time. Not that this really matters, he never won a National Championship during his whole tenure at Purdue. While we're at it, IMHO he got away with a lot of foul calls in the tournament and all the uncalled push offs and elbows he used to score points. At the end of the day, Edey is not versatile like Embiid, Wemby or Jokic. Me being a Michigan fan, If I had to choose b/w Edey and UM legend Webber, no doubt I would go with Webber. But let's hope for the best and I hope I'm wrong and Edey will go on to have an illustrious career in the NBA. he could potentially be a great player for many years to come. He just needs to find a team that will fit his style of play. Edey does have a great basketball IQ, so I'll give him that.

Go Blue

IMO:
Depends on what you mean by "most significant." In terms of overall impact on the sport, John Wooden would have to be at the top.

Most talented Boilermaker? Perhaps, but how do you really compare Edey's talent to, say, Glenn Robinson or Joe Barry Carroll?

Most dominant player? Damn good chance Zach takes that cake.

Best scorer? Zach is the all-time leader, but Rick Mount did it in more ways with fewer games.
Too many uneducated people (not saying you are one of these people. I just see it constantly) state things like played fewer games, only three year, no three point line. These could be valid points, but are not really a comparable stat.

A much more comparable stat would be number of shots taken over their career.
Mount: 1885 (26.2/game)field goal attempts in 3 years
Edey: 1490 (10.8/game) Field goal attempts in 4 years

So even though Mount played one less year, and almost exactly half the total number of games(M:72, E:138) he still put up nearly 400 more total shots in his career!

This is not taking anything away from Mount as he was amazing. I am just stating that saying things like "less years, and no three point line, which Edey obviously didn't take advantage of, just comes off really dumb. The game have changed so much in the last 55 years that it is hard to compare at all, but if you are at least going to do it give some context.

If I just said Mount shot over 29 times a game his senior year, and that was 10 more attempts than the next closest player in the entire nation this year without any context someone who wasn't aware of Mount playing nearly 60 years ago would think he was just some chucker.

They were both fantastic player who dominated their peers in their respective eras. 2 all time great boilers who both lead their teams to National Championship games, and had multiple All American honors.

Too many uneducated people (not saying you are one of these people. I just see it constantly) state things like played fewer games, only three year, no three point line. These could be valid points, but are not really a comparable stat.

A much more comparable stat would be number of shots taken over their career.
Mount: 1885 (26.2/game)field goal attempts in 3 years
Edey: 1490 (10.8/game) Field goal attempts in 4 years

So even though Mount played one less year, and almost exactly half the total number of games(M:72, E:138) he still put up nearly 400 more total shots in his career!

This is not taking anything away from Mount as he was amazing. I am just stating that saying things like "less years, and no three point line, which Edey obviously didn't take advantage of, just comes off really dumb. The game have changed so much in the last 55 years that it is hard to compare at all, but if you are at least going to do it give some context.

If I just said Mount shot over 29 times a game his senior year, and that was 10 more attempts than the next closest player in the entire nation this year without any context someone who wasn't aware of Mount playing nearly 60 years ago would think he was just some chucker.

They were both fantastic player who dominated their peers in their respective eras. 2 all time great boilers who both lead their teams to National Championship games, and had multiple All American honors.
Absolutely fair point on shot attempts comparison. Same with Caitlin Clark. She played a lot more games than Pistol Pete's but took about half as many shots per game

I'm not even going to talk stats. As far as hype: Glen Robinson. When I was kid they had autograph night (no game) at Purdue (no social media back in the day to even know about it), there was a line for all the team members at tables that each went maybe a dozen people, then there was a line for Glen Robinson that looped around all of Mackey. He was considered in the day one of the greatest college players ever, with hype talking like he was the next Jordan. Edey is the most recent, therefore most relevant, and his TEAM produced the best that any Purdue team has done.

• Wow
Reactions: rgarlitz
We wont really know since glenn tweaked his back but both dominated in different ways. Glenn is still the most dominant purdue player in my lifetime as far as just being able to take over a game and able to shoot from anywhere. Edey though is really good and i am so curious to see what was hiding in his offensive arsenal now that he will be in the pros.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT