ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Landford to IU

Roeder, thanks. Hard to disagree with any of that. Memories fade over time, but I don't necessarily remember people being super hyped up on Davis the coach as much as Davis the recruiter (re: the recruits you mentioned), but I realize that's splitting hairs a little. As for Sampson, if he had a soul at the time and could have lead by example and instilled the values in the players he recruited, I do believe he could have had some success at IU (as he was in the midst of before the scandal brought the season crashing down). He didn't and the rest is history, but that guy can coach hoops.

As for Crean, I actually think he was the worst coach of the 3, strictly basketball wise. I will admit that when Crean was hired, he said and did all the right things. I drank the kool-aid. He had an infectious positive attitude and I supported him strongly during the down years as I thought he was building something. That was reinforced when he got Zeller, had a 20-win turnaround the following season, nabbed Yogi, etc.

Point being, I think there was reason for varying levels of optimism with all those coaches, although they all ultimately failed at IU for different reasons. I know IU fans get mocked for high expectations, but I'd rather have expectations that go unmet than to never dream big at all. All that said, I think Archie is a better coach than any of them, and I'm drinking a higher octane version of the kool-aid I was drinking with Crean. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows. But I'm an unapologetic believer in Archie and I think he's got the potential to be great. Looking forward to our new era.
I personally think the thing IU fans have to worry about is the reputation as a party school which has derailed several good recruits in the last few years. Bobby kept his finger on that stuff and let his players know that they were there to play basketball and go to school. I'm sure they partied but the level of partying under Sampson and Crean was over the top. I'm guessing Romeo is a serious guy but who knows. Olidipo was a great example of hard work. Either way there is only one year of Romeo. I do hope he works like Vic and not become the next Hanner.

I personally think the thing IU fans have to worry about is the reputation as a party school which has derailed several good recruits in the last few years. Bobby kept his finger on that stuff and let his players know that they were there to play basketball and go to school. I'm sure they partied but the level of partying under Sampson and Crean was over the top. I'm guessing Romeo is a serious guy but who knows. Olidipo was a great example of hard work. Either way there is only one year of Romeo. I do hope he works like Vic and not become the next Hanner.
I'd like to see IU players making the paper for off-court stuff screech to a halt. But you can't police it all the way to zero, and few coaches have perfected it. Matt's had a pretty no-nonsense system in place his entire time at Purdue and players still get suspended for smoking weed, had couple arrests here and there, etc. The old adage 'you can lead a horse to water but can't make 'em drink' is probably never truer than it is with 18-19 boys.

I have heard it said a few times that Tyler Zeller was not digging the party vibe when he visited IU while under Sampson's watch. I could absolutely see that. I don't think it was as extreme under Crean, but a couple major incidents definitely highlighted it (Hanner and Devin Davis). It's likely Crean could have lost out on a guy or two during his time because of it, but I've not heard specific examples like what I'd heard about Tyler. Have you heard names? Crean's relationship with HS coaches was tanking towards the end (which was probably multi-factoral, one of which could have been his lack of a penchant for discipline).

Romeo keeping his head on straight is ranked about 101 on my top 100 list of concerns for the coming season though.

I think some is good-natured, some is Purdue fans hopeful Archie is just another Crean and some is because there are IU fans raising Archie as a basketball messiah that is guaranteed to bring back IU to elite status just like Bobby Knight.

I for one cannot figure how anyone that small can successfully recruit basketball players... ;-)
Dean Smith and Tom Izzo DWARF Archie!

I'd like to see IU players making the paper for off-court stuff screech to a halt. But you can't police it all the way to zero, and few coaches have perfected it. Matt's had a pretty no-nonsense system in place his entire time at Purdue and players still get suspended for smoking weed, had couple arrests here and there, etc. The old adage 'you can lead a horse to water but can't make 'em drink' is probably never truer than it is with 18-19 boys.

I have heard it said a few times that Tyler Zeller was not digging the party vibe when he visited IU while under Sampson's watch. I could absolutely see that. I don't think it was as extreme under Crean, but a couple major incidents definitely highlighted it (Hanner and Devin Davis). It's likely Crean could have lost out on a guy or two during his time because of it, but I've not heard specific examples like what I'd heard about Tyler. Have you heard names? Crean's relationship with HS coaches was tanking towards the end (which was probably multi-factoral, one of which could have been his lack of a penchant for discipline).

Romeo keeping his head on straight is ranked about 101 on my top 100 list of concerns for the coming season though.
My daughter was there during part of that era. She isn't the first to say that some athletes were there largely because IU was and always has been a noted party school. That said guys like Bracey Wright were almost always at the library when not engaged in practice and classes.

As to Purdue, kids are going to be kids. I do think Matt keeps a pretty tight rein on things and isn't afraid to jettison talented players if they don't behave.

but I'm excited for the future and expect IU to be a national contender (top-10 level) team sooner than later.
Please....pray tell....just what has Booger Boy Miller done to make you believe he has the intelligence or coaching acumen to get IU back to where they're a consistent top 10. Crean had a lot of talent...and left a lot of talent for Booger Boy and they couldn't make the NIT. Will it be overall better than Crean...maybe. Will he be a better coach than Samscum....probably not, though he seemed to like Samscum type players at Dayton.
I still don’t see where Crean left all this talent. In the past two years before Archie IU lost three 5* and a 3* who was as good as a 5* (OG). This past year their best player was a 3* and he wasn’t expected to be that good. For crissakes Archie had to start a walk-on and they didn’t have a PG who was worth a darn. That’s talent?

I still don’t see where Crean left all this talent. In the past two years before Archie IU lost three 5* and a 3* who was as good as a 5* (OG). This past year their best player was a 3* and he wasn’t expected to be that good. For crissakes Archie had to start a walk-on and they didn’t have a PG who was worth a darn. That’s talent?
Crean didn't leave the cupboard bare as a lot of IU fans would have us believe. The rated talent was there....Lil' Archie failed to develop it to their full potential. Maybe it wasn't all Archie's fault, but he got paid a lot of money to fail. There was plenty of talent on that roster to have at least made the NIT.

I can't see him bringing IU back to the Knight era...and he's not as good a coach as Sampscum.

Crean didn't leave the cupboard bare as a lot of IU fans would have us believe. The rated talent was there....Lil' Archie failed to develop it to their full potential. Maybe it wasn't all Archie's fault, but he got paid a lot of money to fail. There was plenty of talent on that roster to have at least made the NIT.

I can't see him bringing IU back to the Knight era...and he's not as good a coach as Sampscum.
Your infatuation with Knight is unhealthy. See a therapist.

Go back to the IU board and worship Little Archie. I have no infatuation with Knight, I've known him for a long time.
I don't think BoilerIron is an IU troll. Maybe he is just working on you to be more balanced in your approach to all things IU. Meh.

Frankly, I like your posts. It would be a boring board if we all were fair and balanced about our friends to the south, or any other topic for that matter. We need some tough critics here. A little more acid amid the saccharin.

Reactions: TX4GB
You literally came over to the Purdue board to talk trash. How sad is your life? How small minded are you?
sorry i triggered you with my comment. Someone gave IU a hard time about the last time they won a championship, I replied. No reason to make comments on the size of my mind or the sadness of my life. That in itself is comical. Thanks

sorry i triggered you with my comment. Someone gave IU a hard time about the last time they won a championship, I replied. No reason to make comments on the size of my mind or the sadness of my life. That in itself is comical. Thanks

sorry that you were triggered by someone else's comment, but what did you expect when you go out of your way to come over to talk smack on the Purdue boards? lol

Good for IU.

Glad an IN kid stayed home.

Hopefully he will bring some fire back to the program, and we can hopefully get our rivalry (which IU has been missing from) back to some-kinda-somewhat national prominence.

Looking fwd to Archie vs CMP for a long time to come.
IU has been pretty bad the last 6 years and yet better than Purdue. Won the conference twice and went to the S16 three times, and this is a failure in IU fans eyes. Other than the last couple years though, which was all Crean's fault, IU beat Purdue plenty. CAM will never even comes close to missing the tourney while at IU ever again. He'll dominate the conference and make it to many final 4's. He's that good.

Also remember to check back again in 4 years when you are pissed at Archie and the IU fan base wants him out. We've seen this story many times before. IU gets new coach (Davis, Sampson, Crean). New coach lands 5 star (DJ White, Gordon, Zeller). New coach does not meet IU fan base unrealistic expectations and is pushed out. Repeat.
I don't understand why opposing fan bases can't be rational? I knew Purdue was good last year and thought they had a good chance at making the final 4 until Haas got hurt. If you people can't see how good Archie is then you don't know basketball. Archie is a great coach that was never the question. What he hadn't proved was could he recruit well enough to put IU back in the top 15 most years and it's clear now that he's going to be a very good recruiter. This years class was good and next years will be even better. He has IU back whether you all like it or not. IU is probably going to win the Big 10 this year. If they stay healthy 3rd is as bad as they could possibly do. IU is pretty loaded and you don't even realize it. And yes Morgan is coming back.

Glad to see IU getting a chance to be more competitive. I'm tired of Purdue/IU not getting the basketball rivalry attention it deserves

Romeo will give a chance for IU to be competitive for an NIT bid. They had glaring weaknesses as a team last year and will get better. Not enough to make a S16 surge looking purely on paper stats at this point.

Make no mistake, the difference between IU and Penn State and Nebraska in the B1G last year is similar as the distance of Mars to Jupiter. MSU - NEB was like Mercury to Mars, IU - RUT was Jupiter to whatever is considered a planet way way out there now .
You obviously don't know talent or basketball.

IU fans: Archie did one hell of a coaching job coaching that SEVERELY FLAWED ROSTER

Also IU fans: Were winning the B1G this year because we are so loaded

Lolwat?

Which one is it, the roster is flawed or the roster is good? I have a hard time keeping up with which way the rosters quality blows depending on the narrative.

When you talk about how bad Indiana was last season, the roster was flawed and Archies poor defense wasnt his fault.

When you talk about this upcoming season, the roster magically turns into a great roster loaded with talent.
If they would of had a PG last year they probably find their way into the tournament. It took some time for them to change from the Crean way to the right way so there was some growing pains but they improved as the season went on. Morgan had a break out season and he'll be good again next year. I look for Smith to have a really good year next year. Then you add Romeo and you have three very good players. Green will be better and you add Phinisee at PG which is where they were terrible last year and now I think they're pretty solid. You have McRobert's as a very good role player along with the grad transfer from St Mary's. Then you have all the other freshmen that will have their moments but I think Hunter and Race Thompson will see plenty of time and will do very well. Davis is a bit of a wild card coming back from his injury. So yes I am very optimistic for next year. CAM is a very good coach and will put them in a position to succeed. Morgan, Smith, and Romeo if they can stay healthy are going to be a load for teams to guard. Plus it's not like our conference will be loaded with great teams next year. You guys won't be as good, MSU will be good but I doubt great, Wisconsin will be pretty good as usual but nothing special, I hear Penn St will be good but I'll believe it when I see it. I guess Michigan is in the mix as well but they did lose their best player. So if IU stays healthy they should win 25+....we shall see

Last edited:
If they would of had a PG last year they probably find their way into the tournament. It took some time for them to change from the Crean way to the right way so there was some growing pains but they improved as the season went on. Morgan had a break out season and he'll be good again next year. I look for Smith to have a really good year next year. Then you add Romeo and you have three very good players. Green will be better and you add Phinisee at PG which is where they were terrible last year and now I think they're pretty solid. You have McRobert's as a very good role player along with the grad transfer from St Mary's. Then you have all the other freshmen that will have their moments but I think Hunter and Race Thompson will see plenty of time and will do very well. Davis is a bit of a wild card coming back from his injury. So yes I am very optimistic for next year. CAM is a very good coach and will put them in a position to succeed. Morgan, Smith, and Romeo if they can stay healthy are going to be a load for teams to guard. Plus it's not like our conference will be loaded with great teams next year. You guys won't be as good, MSU will be good but I doubt great, Wisconsin will be pretty good as usual but nothing special, I hear Penn St will be good but I'll believe it when I see it. I guess Michigan is in the mix as well but they did lose their best player. So if IU stays healthy they should win 25+....we shall see
Isn't your PG the same as this year? Green is a Turnover machine! Romeo will make you better but to say he will take you somewhere you haven't been in a long time is a stretch. I also remember hearing on your board about Romeo's character when he was leaning towards Louisville...now.. zero character issues funny how that works with your bunch. Clappy missed the tourney 5 out 9 years to say he compares to Painter is a joke. I know your brethren loves us from all the threads about Purdue...you see where you're at??!!

Last edited:
Isn't your PG the same as this year? Green is a Turnover machine! Romeo will make you better but to say he will take you somewhere you haven't been in a long time is a stretch. I also remember hearing on your board about Romeo's character when he was leaning towards Louisville...now.. zero character issues funny how that works with your bunch. Clappy missed the tourney 6 out 10 years to say he compares to Painter is a joke. I know your brethren loves us from all the threads about Purdue...you see where you're at??!!
. Green showed potential last year so I expect him to be much better next year. I think Phinisee will have a solid freshman year too.

636607106567418998-romeo-crowd-by-Dakota-Crawford.jpg

LOL
BUMP for IU week.

Reactions: bonefish1
IU has been pretty bad the last 6 years and yet better than Purdue. Won the conference twice and went to the S16 three times, and this is a failure in IU fans eyes. Other than the last couple years though, which was all Crean's fault, IU beat Purdue plenty. CAM will never even comes close to missing the tourney while at IU ever again. He'll dominate the conference and make it to many final 4's. He's that good.
I don't understand why opposing fan bases can't be rational? I knew Purdue was good last year and thought they had a good chance at making the final 4 until Haas got hurt. If you people can't see how good Archie is then you don't know basketball. Archie is a great coach that was never the question. What he hadn't proved was could he recruit well enough to put IU back in the top 15 most years and it's clear now that he's going to be a very good recruiter. This years class was good and next years will be even better. He has IU back whether you all like it or not. IU is probably going to win the Big 10 this year. If they stay healthy 3rd is as bad as they could possibly do. IU is pretty loaded and you don't even realize it. And yes Morgan is coming back.

meow, I’ve seen some bad predictions but holy cow.

Nice to see Heller is this thread. RIP
Rip as a poster? Or literally. I saw him/her stop posting after he called us out as freeloaders for using this site for free "gasp" as if there arent adds or monetization. I guess we should pay for facebook and twitter too or we are freeloaders too.

Rip as a poster? Or literally. I saw him/her stop posting after he called us out as freeloaders for using this site for free "gasp" as if there arent adds or monetization. I guess we should pay for facebook and twitter too or we are freeloaders too.
Pretty sure Heller past away a year or two back.

Eastern took Landfords spirit that game. It was interesting to watch. Landford gave up early in the second half when he realized he wasn't going to get the star treatment in Mackey and Eastern wasn't going to quit pushing him around. He wanted no part of that game.

Reactions: MRed13
Eastern took Landfords spirit that game. It was interesting to watch. Landford gave up early in the second half when he realized he wasn't going to get the star treatment in Mackey and Eastern wasn't going to quit pushing him around. He wanted no part of that game.
When he ran up against someone with similar length and athleticism, and superior strength, his game looked pretty ordinary.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT