ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Landford to IU

I'd love to read the IU board...but I was banned for what I can only imagine something I said negative... I think I went and tried to discuss the Bucket game this past season or the 2016 season and asked what IU thought they had to do to win the game...mentioned a few things that were critical of the IU coaching staff costing their team some games due to mismanagement....boom, banned.
They're very touchy over there.
Proudly banned for about 3 years.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
I'd love to read the IU board...but I was banned for what I can only imagine something I said negative... I think I went and tried to discuss the Bucket game this past season or the 2016 season and asked what IU thought they had to do to win the game...mentioned a few things that were critical of the IU coaching staff costing their team some games due to mismanagement....boom, banned.
Well it can be said that we had some super soft folks on this board a couple of weeks ago that were banning people for asking questions on the TOS.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Glad to see IU getting a chance to be more competitive. I'm tired of Purdue/IU not getting the basketball rivalry attention it deserves

Romeo will give a chance for IU to be competitive for an NIT bid. They had glaring weaknesses as a team last year and will get better. Not enough to make a S16 surge looking purely on paper stats at this point.

Make no mistake, the difference between IU and Penn State and Nebraska in the B1G last year is similar as the distance of Mars to Jupiter. MSU - NEB was like Mercury to Mars, IU - RUT was Jupiter to whatever is considered a planet way way out there now .

I would say getting a 5 star Indiana kid to go to IU is not that impressive. I think someone just rattled off several by different coaches. Archie wasn’t IU’s first choice, so I am not sure why y’all talking him up after not making the NIT is supposed convince us he is different, but okay.
Fact is...Knight was what y’all ever were and he isn’t coming back. I predict mid pack bubble team without any shooters.

Well, frankly, I don’t care one way or another what I’m convincing you of. We’re all free to have our own opinions about what the future will hold. But, until we see how things actually play out, nobody's is any better than anybody else's.

All I’ve said is that Archie Miller has, thus far, been an effective recruiter. He was quite late to the Romeo sweepstakes. It was no secret that Langford had little interest in playing for Tom Crean. So IU was almost a non-factor before Miller came on board. And, thankfully, Pitino's firing opened up the opportunity for us.

And his recruiting success in the past year goes beyond Langford.

-- He beat out OSU for 2018 PF Jerome Hunter -- who's either the #1 or #2 senior in Ohio (depending who you ask).

-- He got 4* Race Thompson, who had offers from (among others) Michigan and Iowa State.

-- He landed 4* Robert Phinisee who had been offers from Virginia, OSU, and (of course) Purdue.

-- And he got 4* Damezi Anderson, who had offers from Purdue, Michigan, OSU, and UConn.

Along with Romeo, that's not bad for his first year.

What does it mean in terms of success on the court? We'll just have to wait and find out.

Last edited:
-- He beat out OSU for 2018 PF Jerome Hunter -- who's either the #1 or #2 senior in Ohio (depending who you ask).
#1 player in the state who is going to college :)

-- And he got 4* Damezi Anderson, who had offers from Michigan, OSU, and Georgetown.
He had a Purdue offer and this is one that I am pissed we lost out on.

What does it mean in terms of success on the court? We'll just have to wait and find out.
Amen.

Reactions: Roeder
I’m sure that IU will climb into the better half of the B1G with this year’s recruiting class. There is a good chance they may overtake us in the Big Ten ranking at the end of the year; anything less would be disappointing in the eyes of the IU fan base.

FYI, I’m not talking down on Purdue. I just acknowledge that this year is a rebuilding year so there would be quite a wide range of possibilities. We definitely won’t be a pushover, but Painter has his work cut out for him this year.

Reactions: Roeder
I've just heard that like Levar, Tim Langford is very 'involved' in his son's recruitment.
Coincidentally, I just watched "Blue Chips" the other day.... I'm not sayin, just sayin.

Yeah, most players coming out of high school have some parent or guardian who is heavily involved in their recruitment.

If, by the use of scare quotes, you're insinuating that the Langfords are getting paid, then I'd politely suggest that you have no idea what you're talking about.

If, by the use of scare quotes, you're insinuating that the Langfords are getting paid, then I'd politely suggest that you have no idea what you're talking about.
Not insinuating but inquiring - didn’t Tim coach his AAU team which was sponsored by Adidas?

Not saying that is against the rules - just asking.

Also I don’t think Romeo or his family was paid. I think Archie and more importantly Ed Schilling sold him on the “future” and what he would mean to IU

Dude... Archie had a bunch of 4* players this year.

Spin it how you want, but right now, as a coach in the B1G he's shown himself to be mediocre.
Beat me to it.....Four 4 stars last year and couldn't make the NIT isn't much to brag about. I do think Romeo will help their offense....until the big boys in college figure out how to defend him. With Morgan inside (I'd advise him to go pro) and Romeo outside, IU should be somewhere between 5th and 7th in the league. IU and the B10 isn't Dayton.

Reactions: Purdue85
Yeah, most players coming out of high school have some parent or guardian who is heavily involved in their recruitment.

I'm not sure what scare quotes are? Please explain.

But, as they say, where there's smoke......

Do you think Lil Archie and his brother are that dissimilar? Didn't his brother just get busted at UoA for paying players? You don't think they discuss recruiting ideas and strategies?

Do you feel Mike Davis was worthy of the job when he got it and then later when he was missing tournaments?
You guys keep bringing up Davis as a bad hire. If I remember correctly, all the remaining players were going to leave if they didn't put Davis in there. You had no choice.

You guys keep bringing up Davis as a bad hire. If I remember correctly, all the remaining players were going to leave if they didn't put Davis in there. You had no choice.

He should've been given the interim job for 1 year and then canned after 2001. Alford would've been hired but certain racist members of our BOT threatened to caused a ruckus and bring in Jessie Jackson if Davis wasn't hired permanently. Liberal IU of course gave in.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
I'm not sure what scare quotes are? Please explain.

But, as they say, where there's smoke......

Do you think Lil Archie and his brother are that dissimilar? Didn't his brother just get busted at UoA for paying players? You don't think they discuss recruiting ideas and strategies?

Have you guys seriously never heard of scare quotes? It’s not something I just invented.

You can read all about them here.

As for Sean Miller, I’m not exactly sure what they found. But (a) whatever he did or didn’t do, it has nothing to do with Archie, and (b) all the calls for Sean to be ousted quieted down pretty quickly...which makes me think there may have been a rush to judgment. I’m sure the truth, whatever it is, will come out.

In either case, I’m not aware of any evidence that suggests Romeo Langford’s recruitment was in any way dirty.

You said a coach shouldn’t be fired after making a trip to the Final Four in response to a post saying that he should’ve been let go after the preceding (interim) season.
Oh my fault, but I do remember the IU people that I knew at the time wanted Davis to be the coach.

Oh my fault, but I do remember the IU people that I knew at the time wanted Davis to be the coach.

Yeah, there were certainly people who wanted him brought on full-time after the interim season. The most notable and public one was Kent Benson, who took the mic at Assembly Hall after a game and publicly endorsed Davis for the full-time gig.

I was not among them and I was not alone. I think many people were just clamoring for some semblance of continuity in the wake of RMK’s firing. We’d never known anything else in 3 decades. And the firing divided the fan base in a big way (still does, to some degree).

In any case, the PTBs hired a guy who had never been a head coach at any level to fill Knight’s shoes. Maybe their options were limited, given the circumstances. I don’t know. But, regardless, in hindsight it was an awful hire...compounded by the equally awful hiring of Sampson (who was a great coach who, sadly, had already demonstrated a casual relationship with NCAA rules).

I don’t know how Archie will turn out. But I can say that I’m not worried about the problems that doomed either Davis or Sampson.

Reactions: Fansince72
Not insinuating but inquiring - didn’t Tim coach his AAU team which was sponsored by Adidas?

Not saying that is against the rules - just asking.

Also I don’t think Romeo or his family was paid. I think Archie and more importantly Ed Schilling sold him on the “future” and what he would mean to IU
I think what sold Romeo was two fold:

1. Pitino and UL getting their asses finally in trouble on some level for the crap they had been pulling for years

2. The pull in Indiana for the Mr. Basketball who is also widely considered a lock NBA lottery pick next season to play at IU is incredibly strong. As Damon Bailey said in an article a few months ago when Romeo was winding down his career, Bailey said that if Romeo wanted to come back and make a living after basketball in the state of Indiana where he grew up...he would be dumb not to go to IU. He has built a legacy being the #4 all time scorer in state history and going to IU grows that legacy even more. If he makes IU competitive and sneaks a couple wins against teams like Purdue, MSU, Duke/UNC/UVA in the ACC Challenge, and gets them to the second weekend of the NCAAT...he is a legend at that university. And, if by some chance the Pacers end up getting Romeo to pair with Oladipo...it would be the swansong for Landford. Playing along the best IU player in the NBA over the last 20-30 years likely (I am pulling that out of absolutely thin air btw) in Indy for the Pacers....he'd be a superstar in the state for the rest of his life....

He goes to Kansas or Vandy......his legend stops at 18.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I think what sold Romeo was two fold:

1. Pitino and UL getting their asses finally in trouble on some level for the crap they had been pulling for years

2. The pull in Indiana for the Mr. Basketball who is also widely considered a lock NBA lottery pick next season to play at IU is incredibly strong. As Damon Bailey said in an article a few months ago when Romeo was winding down his career, Bailey said that if Romeo wanted to come back and make a living after basketball in the state of Indiana where he grew up...he would be dumb not to go to IU. He has built a legacy being the #4 all time scorer in state history and going to IU grows that legacy even more. If he makes IU competitive and sneaks a couple wins against teams like Purdue, MSU, Duke/UNC/UVA in the ACC Challenge, and gets them to the second weekend of the NCAAT...he is a legend at that university. And, if by some chance the Pacers end up getting Romeo to pair with Oladipo...it would be the swansong for Landford. Playing along the best IU player in the NBA over the last 20-30 years likely (I am pulling that out of absolutely thin air btw) in Indy for the Pacers....he'd be a superstar in the state for the rest of his life....

He goes to Kansas or Vandy......his legend stops at 18.

My opinion is that, had #1 not happened, #2 wouldn't have mattered. He'd have been a Cardinal.

You never really know what to believe, of course. Lots of people say they know (or hear) things, and most of them actually have no clue what they're talking about. That said, the CW up until Pitino's firing was that Langford was likely to end up at Louisville. The CW was also that Langford had no interest in playing for Tom Crean. Are those things true? Well, you'd have to ask him.

If some of his motivation was to be a legend, being from New Albany, he'd have just as much chance to become that at Louisville as at IU.

Anyway...while I'm certainly happy that Romeo's coming to IU, I also recognize that the value of OAD players can often be overstated. Heck, ol' Cuonzo scored a major coup landing Michael Porter, Jr. at Mizzou, only to see him play less than a half before a season-ending injury.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler

We had three 4* players in the rotation for most of the season: Johnson, Morgan, and Justin Smith.

De'Ron Davis was a 4*, but he only played 15 games (12 of which were non-conference). Curtis Jones was a 4*, but he left the team after 7 games.

All the rest (Green, Durham, Hartman, McRoberts, Newkirk, and McSwain) were 3* or below.

Only because you iu trolls keep bumping them. Plus, you are here on a Purdue board. You do see the irony in your post considering all of that right?
That is fair but we wouldn't be here bumping them if they weren't created. To answer your question, yes I do see the irony but sometimes its interesting/fun to get a perspective outside of IU fans.

Actually, the players wanted either Treloar or Davis. IU's powers that be wanted co-head coaches and John Treloar told them he wanted no part of it and moved on which left Davis, who went to the players and begged them to support him BEFORE Knight's chair was cold inherited a job he was in no way qualified for. Davis is where he needs to be right now.

Yeah, there were certainly people who wanted him brought on full-time after the interim season. The most notable and public one was Kent Benson, who took the mic at Assembly Hall after a game and publicly endorsed Davis for the full-time gig.

I was not among them and I was not alone. I think many people were just clamoring for some semblance of continuity in the wake of RMK’s firing. We’d never known anything else in 3 decades. And the firing divided the fan base in a big way (still does, to some degree).

In any case, the PTBs hired a guy who had never been a head coach at any level to fill Knight’s shoes. Maybe their options were limited, given the circumstances. I don’t know. But, regardless, in hindsight it was an awful hire...compounded by the equally awful hiring of Sampson (who was a great coach who, sadly, had already demonstrated a casual relationship with NCAA rules).

I don’t know how Archie will turn out. But I can say that I’m not worried about the problems that doomed either Davis or Sampson.
He had similar problems at Dayton with some of his recruits that Sampson had at IU. Little Arch ain't squeaky clean and having learned the craft under his brother, my guess is he knows how to turn a blind eye to certain issues.

Have you guys seriously never heard of scare quotes? It’s not something I just invented.

You can read all about them here.

As for Sean Miller, I’m not exactly sure what they found. But (a) whatever he did or didn’t do, it has nothing to do with Archie, and (b) all the calls for Sean to be ousted quieted down pretty quickly...which makes me think there may have been a rush to judgment. I’m sure the truth, whatever it is, will come out.

In either case, I’m not aware of any evidence that suggests Romeo Langford’s recruitment was in any way dirty.

You just don't get it. It was a dumb@ss statement. scare quotes. What stupidity.

Spin it how you want, but right now, as a coach in the B1G he's shown himself to be mediocre.
Are you being serious? The four stars he had:

Davis: Injured
Smith: A freshman. Who btw, came on strong.
Moore: Rarely so the floor
Race Thompson: RS
Curtis Jones: Trasferred
Morgan: Great year
JOhnson: Up and down.

Of the 7 four stars, only two played significant role; With SMith coming late and showing some promise.. You are acting as if Miller had the services of all of them. He did not. One was injured....one was RS, the other transferred. And four of the 7 were freshman.

Lost Bryant, OG and JBJ. Due to injuries and a a transfer, Miller was forced to start a walk-on.

Starting line-up

PG- Newkirk(eeek), Green or Durham---3*'s
SG- JOhnson/Green/Durham
SF- McRoberts
PF- McSwain/Smith
C- Morgan

No PG...No shooters...No center...No depth...And a walk-on who played significant minutes.

Yet he won 9 Big 10 games. Played MSU, OSU(lost at the buzzer) PU, Duke and UL to the wire. With a severely flawed roster. WInning 16 games, and going .500 in conference with that group is far ftom mediocre. Especially when you consider what this team looked like in November/Dec. He took over a team that lost two NBA draft picks, and its leading scorer. Yet finished .500 in the conference. That's mediocre?

OK.

Reactions: DrLuck
IU was 6th this year without "Roman" PU was 3rd.
What was that 6th place record?

The conference will be back next year. I’ve never seen it as weak from mid to bottom as last year. Your three places really represents a bunch of wins and losses. Huge gap.

Are you being serious? The four stars he had:

Davis: Injured
Smith: A freshman. Who btw, came on strong.
Moore: Rarely so the floor
Race Thompson: RS
Curtis Jones: Trasferred
Morgan: Great year
JOhnson: Up and down.

Of the 7 four stars, only two played significant role; With SMith coming late and showing some promise.. You are acting as if Miller had the services of all of them. He did not. One was injured....one was RS, the other transferred. And four of the 7 were freshman.

Lost Bryant, OG and JBJ. Due to injuries and a a transfer, Miller was forced to start a walk-on.

Starting line-up

PG- Newkirk(eeek), Green or Durham---3*'s
SG- JOhnson/Green/Durham
SF- McRoberts
PF- McSwain/Smith
C- Morgan

No PG...No shooters...No center...No depth...And a walk-on who played significant minutes.

Yet he won 9 Big 10 games. Played MSU, OSU(lost at the buzzer) PU, Duke and UL to the wire. With a severely flawed roster. WInning 16 games, and going .500 in conference with that group is far ftom mediocre. Especially when you consider what this team looked like in November/Dec. He took over a team that lost two NBA draft picks, and its leading scorer. Yet finished .500 in the conference. That's mediocre?

OK.

Dude, you can defend him all you like. And all everybody hears is "blah blah blah blah blah". He didn't have this, he didn't have that. People don't care. He didn't have wins. He lost, and he had 4* players.

Jeff Brohm (okay, FB, not BB) came in an instilled a winners mindset at Purdue. Archie didn't (couldn't?) do that.

Win. No excuses.

He didn't.

Game over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT