ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Landford to IU

Last time I checked IU fired the guy who was on the bench when they were recruits, so not relevant at all. Doubt Archie would've offered Cline, though.

If I don't get banned, I'll check back in after TJD commits to IU. You may know him as the rare 5 * that actually mentions Purdue on his short list.

Also remember to check back again in 4 years when you are pissed at Archie and the IU fan base wants him out. We've seen this story many times before. IU gets new coach (Davis, Sampson, Crean). New coach lands 5 star (DJ White, Gordon, Zeller). New coach does not meet IU fan base unrealistic expectations and is pushed out. Repeat.

How about Rob Phinisee? Where's he from, again??? Damezi? IIRC, Purdue didn't want any of the top players from their own back yard or the state of Indiana...

But hey, I'm sure Pork Chop will do a great job turning those no names into valuable contributors.
Trevion Williams was wanted by MSU
Ohio State went after Eric Hunter as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schnelk
O.M.G. IU got Romeo! He is so good that no doubt they will probably win two or three BIG championships in the next season. Also the NIT and NCAA simultaneously.

That sarcastic flame now out of my system, I am glad the kid stayed home and went to an Indiana (state of) school.

Reactions: chaspark
Also remember to check back again in 4 years when you are pissed at Archie and the IU fan base wants him out. We've seen this story many times before. IU gets new coach (Davis, Sampson, Crean). New coach lands 5 star (DJ White, Gordon, Zeller). New coach does not meet IU fan base unrealistic expectations and is pushed out. Repeat.

We’d have been really good with Sampson. Guy couldn’t follow the damn rules (and what he got nabbed for is now allowed, from my understanding).

Davis was an awful hire, period. And Crean was about our only decent option in the wake of the Sampson mess. Our mistake there was signing him to an overly long contract.

Archie Miller isn’t any of those guys. For him to have the recruiting success he’s had in just one calendar year is impressive. And we all understand that recruiting is only one part of what it takes to win on the court.

What do you think reasonable expectations for Indiana fans should be for their program?

Do you feel Mike Davis was worthy of the job when he got it and then later when he was missing tournaments?

Sampson would have had Indiana winning big. He was recruiting at a high level and winning on the court. Indiana turned themselves in and fired him. Should they have kept him?

Crean was a mid level coach who had the ability to win at a decent level but his style of play wasn’t consistent championship basketball. He turned over his roster too much to have upperclassmen and wins. Do you think making the tournament 4 out of 9 years is good or 4 out of 7 when you have the best state to recruit out of and the highest recruiting budget in the conference? Would anyone on this board say Crean was a top 5 coach in the Bjg Ten.

Last edited:
DcEKRVNW4AY6d00.jpg

It's booger-mania!

That is quite the collection of characters. Sheesh.

Reactions: PU pit bull
Just be honest with yourselves fellas. Archie isn't Crean. He isn't flamboyant and doesn't run his mouth. He values hard nosed D and taking care of the ball. He has already started to nab the best In-State talent and is looking really good at having a monster class next year. Anything can happen, but I think we all know that the program with the most positive momentum is the one south of Indy. Romeo is one piece in the long game of re-establishing one of the historically elite caliber programs. It could all be a blip on the radar, but I'm guessing no on that

I agree that Archie isn’t Crean (well, that’s kinda obvious, right?). Like you, I have high hopes for our program under his leadership. And I’m happy with the early recruiting success.

But, that said, the reality is that Purdue is coming off a 30-win season where, for the 4th year in a row, they finished towards the top of the conference standings....while we finished a game over .500 and missed post-season play entirely.

So let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We’ve lined up some nice recruits. But that’s all at this point.

I agree that Archie isn’t Crean (well, that’s kinda obvious, right?). Like you, I have high hopes for our program under his leadership. And I’m happy with the early recruiting success.

But, that said, the reality is that Purdue is coming off a 30-win season where, for the 4th year in a row, they finished towards the top of the conference standings....while we finished a game over .500 and missed post-season play entirely.

So let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We’ve lined up some nice recruits. But that’s all at this point.
This is the most level headed response from an IU fan

Yes - 2018 class is better graded than Purdue’s. That is a fact.

Results - yet to be determined for either team.

We have seen and heard this resurgence talk from IU folks for a decade and results haven’t necessarily panned our. Maybe this time it will be different and the reason isn’t Archie it is Ed Schilling.

I wouldn't like the fact of going on a team that isn't a top 25 team. Many will feel or do feel that he puts them in that category. If he fails to do so, watch out for all the haters. I guess he either is successful and becomes the next Cody Zeller or Fails and is the next Vonleh.

just glad the recruitment is finally over. or is it? Has he actually signed anything yet?

Who cares really? IU is still not going to be good and he'll be one and done anyway then right back to the basement they go.

I mean the best they can hope for next season is to make it to the round of 32. Archie is just not that good of a coach.

Morgan should leave now since he won’t see the ball next year. He may not crack double digits in scoring average. Then again he may rebound the missed bricks.

iu will have 2 guys trying to showcase for NBA scouts. Should make for interesting ball movement on offense. Sort of like playing at the co-rec and there's that one guy on your squad you don't want to pass to because you'll know you'll never get the ball back.

Not to mention you have a Levar Ball type father managing his son. Don't be surprised if the FBI is snooping around the iu program.

Reactions: ChuckJr and TX4GB
I wouldn't like the fact of going on a team that isn't a top 25 team. Many will feel or do feel that he puts them in that category. If he fails to do so, watch out for all the haters. I guess he either is successful and becomes the next Cody Zeller or Fails and is the next Vonleh.
IU fans are hoping he’s the next Victor Oladipo only taller and longer (he’s got a 6’11” wingspan). Perhaps a mix of Victor and OG.

Just be honest with yourselves fellas. Archie isn't Crean. He isn't flamboyant and doesn't run his mouth. He values hard nosed D and taking care of the ball. He has already started to nab the best In-State talent and is looking really good at having a monster class next year. Anything can happen, but I think we all know that the program with the most positive momentum is the one south of Indy. Romeo is one piece in the long game of re-establishing one of the historically elite caliber programs. It could all be a blip on the radar, but I'm guessing no on that

"Historically elite", you mean, like in the 80's?

So IU finished 6th this past season and next year they’ll finish 7th? Hmm..
Yeah because the rest of the B1G won't get better/different right? You finished 6th among some very bad teams save the top tier. Congrats! You cut down the nets yet?

iu will have 2 guys trying to showcase for NBA scouts. Should make for interesting ball movement on offense. Sort of like playing at the co-rec and there's that one guy on your squad you don't want to pass to because you'll know you'll never get the ball back.

Not to mention you have a Levar Ball type father managing his son. Don't be surprised if the FBI is snooping around the iu program.

First, it's LaVar...not Levar.

Second, did you really just compare Tim Langford to that con artist? What in the world gives you that impression?

Reactions: davidrdunn

Second, did you really just compare Tim Langford to that con artist? What in the world gives you that impression?
So I have a question. Why are so many of you IU trolls even here in the first place? Are you in that much of a need of our approval that you have to spend so much time here worrying about what we say?

So I have a question. Why are so many of you IU trolls even here in the first place? Are you in that much of a need of our approval that you have to spend so much time here worrying about what we say?
Simple answer, IU fans like to talk about IU and this board happens to have IU topics a lot... Interesting to read the thoughts of our rival (even the ridiculous comments that have no merit whatsoever).

I've just heard that like Levar, Tim Langford is very 'involved' in his son's recruitment.
Coincidentally, I just watched "Blue Chips" the other day.... I'm not sayin, just sayin.

Simple answer, IU fans like to talk about IU and this board happens to have IU topics a lot... Interesting to read the thoughts of our rival (even the ridiculous comments that have no merit whatsoever).
There is a single thread about Romeo committing which is arguably the biggest IU topic in the last 4 years. The other thread was started prior to him committing. Most of the topics aren't ever about IU but rather hijacked by IU 'fans' that simply show up to puff their chest out.

We’d have been really good with Sampson. Guy couldn’t follow the damn rules (and what he got nabbed for is now allowed, from my understanding).

Davis was an awful hire, period. And Crean was about our only decent option in the wake of the Sampson mess. Our mistake there was signing him to an overly long contract.

Archie Miller isn’t any of those guys. For him to have the recruiting success he’s had in just one calendar year is impressive. And we all understand that recruiting is only one part of what it takes to win on the court.
I would say getting a 5 star Indiana kid to go to IU is not that impressive. I think someone just rattled off several by different coaches. Archie wasn’t IU’s first choice, so I am not sure why y’all talking him up after not making the NIT is supposed convince us he is different, but okay.
Fact is...Knight was what y’all ever were and he isn’t coming back. I predict mid pack bubble team without any shooters.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
So here is my question: IU fans now have Romeo for next year. They have declared that Purdue takes a big step back next year. What happens if Purdue places above them next year as the Too Early predictions have Purdue a Top 25 team?

I would say getting a 5 star Indiana kid to go to IU is not that impressive. I think someone just rattled off several by different coaches. Archie wasn’t IU’s first choice, so I am not sure why y’all talking him up after not making the NIT is supposed convince us he is different, but okay.
Fact is...Knight was what y’all ever were and he isn’t coming back. I predict mid pack bubble team without any shooters.
Anyone outside of a few of the elite programs like UK, Kansas, Duke, UNC, Arizona, and MSU getting a 5 star basketball player is a big deal...it doesn't happen on a year to year basis for most.

Reactions: Roeder
IU was 6th this year without "Roman" PU was 3rd.
Yeah you were 6th in a conference that only had a few good teams. The remaining, which includes IU, were terrible. So congrats on being less terrible than the others! Now go hang a banner and cut down those nets!

IU was 6th this year without "Roman" PU was 3rd.

There is no doubt Roman is good, but even with him IU is a middle of the pack big10 team. He’s not as good as Carsen Edwards.
iu lost in the first round of the BTT to Rutger. So basically, iu was last. Purdue made it to the championship game of the BTT and lost to a team that went to the national championship. There was a pretty large gap between these two teams last year.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
This was very telling for me.

“He didn’t know until I said it up there, and that’s why he’ll be a great pro: You can’t get under his skin, Shannon told IndyStar....

The IU board=Purdue board. Talk about Purdue threads...just talk amongst your brothren.

The IU board=Purdue board. Talk about Purdue threads...just talk amongst your brothren.
I'd love to read the IU board...but I was banned for what I can only imagine something I said negative... I think I went and tried to discuss the Bucket game this past season or the 2016 season and asked what IU thought they had to do to win the game...mentioned a few things that were critical of the IU coaching staff costing their team some games due to mismanagement....boom, banned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT