ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Basketball Thread

I listed their current stats. Currently Romeo is 1st team all conference and a serious BPOY candidate. I know how much that must pain you, and is likely the reason you are being an a**.

How do you know that Romeo is currently First Team All-Conference? That has not been voted on at this point. He MAY get that award but since the team has not been voted upon it is simply false to make that statement.

How do you know that Romeo is currently First Team All-Conference? That has not been voted on at this point. He MAY get that award but since the team has not been voted upon it is simply false to make that statement.
Because as his stats suggest to this point, he is one of the top 5 players in conference so far. That could change as more games play out and stats fluctuate.

Because as his stats suggest to this point, he is one of the top 5 players in conference so far. That could change as more games play out and stats fluctuate.

Be that as it may, the fact remains that you have made an assertion that is demonstrably false. You clearly stated that he "..is currently first team (sic)..." SInce no vote has been taken at this point, nobody is First Team All-Conference or Second Team or even Honorable Mention. You are just making things up.

Be that as it may, the fact remains that you have made an assertion that is demonstrably false. You clearly stated that he "..is currently first team (sic)..." SInce no vote has been taken at this point, nobody is First Team All-Conference or Second Team or even Honorable Mention. You are just making things up.
Lol there has been no vote yet, you are correct.

Doesnt change the fact that Romeo is starting off outstanding even after you and other Purdue fans were certain he wouldn't be a good college player. Turns out you were wrong.

Correction: I never said that he would not be a good player. Please show me where I said that.

I did say that his 3-pt shooting percentage would be less than that of his HS career because of further distance and better defenders. My error to date is that I expected the decline to be somewhat less than has been achieved.

I also questioned that he would be a Top5 draft pick given his shooting percentage as a 2-Guard. That the percentage for a player in that position made him a risky choice and that GMs might be reluctant to take that degree of risk on a draft choice that high. The risk/reward ratio might indicate a better choice. On top of the fact that Top5 teams have not been chosen yet and the needs of those teams might not favor him or his position. I note that recent mock drafts have him placed at 15 and 19 iirc, which is a bit different from Top5.

So you are making things up, just as you did when you said that he was currently on a team that has not been selected at this time.

Stock has dropped because of shooting. He is a great scorer and probably will develop a better shot in the NBA. IU is not great, RL is a great scorer and Purdue is having a down year as of now. End this....please! Oh, CE will turn that bad game against MSU into a highlight reel against Wisky.

Correction: I never said that he would not be a good player. Please show me where I said that.

I did say that his 3-pt shooting percentage would be less than that of his HS career because of further distance and better defenders. My error to date is that I expected the decline to be somewhat less than has been achieved.

I also questioned that he would be a Top5 draft pick given his shooting percentage as a 2-Guard. That the percentage for a player in that position made him a risky choice and that GMs might be reluctant to take that degree of risk on a draft choice that high. The risk/reward ratio might indicate a better choice. On top of the fact that Top5 teams have not been chosen yet and the needs of those teams might not favor him or his position. I note that recent mock drafts have him placed at 15 and 19 iirc, which is a bit different from Top5.

So you are making things up, just as you did when you said that he was currently on a team that has not been selected at this time.
Again you still don't know how to properly use the reply feature. It's not that difficult.

ESPN'S latest mock draft has him at number 6. It all depends who the top 5 teams are, so saying he wont be top 5 at this point is factually incorrect. I could go back through your posts and find where you said he wouldn't be as good as he has been, but it would take a very long time as you post around 100 times/wk about IU/Romeo. You simply arent worth the effort to prove I'm right.

The entire conversation started with talking about who the better shooting team is between IU and Purdue. Currently IU is shooting 36% and Purdue is shooting 36.2%. That's even with Romeo who far and away has the worst percentage on the team, but has taken the most shots. Take Romeo's 3 point makes/attempts out of the equation and IU is shooting 40%.

NBADRAFT.net has him at 19 going to Portland with the listing made on 1/9. Basketballinsiders.com has him at 14 and going to Boston with their posting on 1/8. You are correct about ESPN.

However, the fact remains that you were citing NBA GMs declaring him a Top5 and implied that was without question. I pointed out that they were anonymous comments and therefore subject to be taken with a grain of salt. When you have your name attached to something one tends to be more circumspect in commentary.

Obviously, there is a range of expectation regarding his draft position. If one were to average the most recent, you get 13, which is almost out of the lottery (14.) That is very much different from Top5.

Of course, the season is not over at this point. A lot can change. He may rise from this point or he may fall. Time will tell but at this point he is not Top5 based upon the published mock drafts - and that assumes that they are even accurate.

Again you still don't know how to properly use the reply feature. It's not that difficult.

ESPN'S latest mock draft has him at number 6. It all depends who the top 5 teams are, so saying he wont be top 5 at this point is factually incorrect. I could go back through your posts and find where you said he wouldn't be as good as he has been, but it would take a very long time as you post around 100 times/wk about IU/Romeo. You simply arent worth the effort to prove I'm right.

The entire conversation started with talking about who the better shooting team is between IU and Purdue. Currently IU is shooting 36% and Purdue is shooting 36.2%. That's even with Romeo who far and away has the worst percentage on the team, but has taken the most shots. Take Romeo's 3 point makes/attempts out of the equation and IU is shooting 40%.

But here's the thing: you can't take out his percentage just as you can't take out Carsen's or Cline's bad games when they don't shoot well. That is a silly way to look at stats: take out the bad ones and then the data set looks better. I was trained in the sciences, you don't get to do that and be taken seriously.

But here's the thing: you can't take out his percentage just as you can't take out Carsen's or Cline's bad games when they don't shoot well. That is a silly way to look at stats: take out the bad ones and then the data set looks better. I was trained in the sciences, you don't get to do that and be taken seriously.

It's ridiculous to think the NBA drafts people based on stats

I do not know why it is ridiculous to think that stats play a role in drafting. Are they the only role? No, they are not. However, the clear trend has been using deep dives into statistics to focus upon drafting. "Moneyball" described how this was pioneered by the Oakland A's and it is now fairly distributed throughout baseball. The NFL uses them as well as a part of the drafting ranks.

I recall last year that G&B wrote articles about how Painter was using statistical analysis as part of his game strategy and while it was not stated that he used it in recruiting as a tool it would surprise me if he did not use it in his preferred ranking of recruits given his use of it elsewhere.

I do not know the degree of reliance that the NBA in general or if selected NBA teams place upon statistical analysis. However, given its use in other sports and the evolution towards more quantitative methods in general I would strongly suspect that it plays an increasing and significant role.

I do not know why it is ridiculous to think that stats play a role in drafting. Are they the only role? No, they are not. However, the clear trend has been using deep dives into statistics to focus upon drafting. "Moneyball" described how this was pioneered by the Oakland A's and it is now fairly distributed throughout baseball. The NFL uses them as well as a part of the drafting ranks.

I recall last year that G&B wrote articles about how Painter was using statistical analysis as part of his game strategy and while it was not stated that he used it in recruiting as a tool it would surprise me if he did not use it in his preferred ranking of recruits given his use of it elsewhere.

I do not know the degree of reliance that the NBA in general or if selected NBA teams place upon statistical analysis. However, given its use in other sports and the evolution towards more quantitative methods in general I would strongly suspect that it plays an increasing and significant role.
As is the same for calling CE not all conference. This guy just trolls and people bait into responding. I'm included in that but he provides nothing to the Purdue fan base which is why we are on this board, Well, if you're a Purdue fan.

There's guys who get drafted in the top 10 who as a freshman hardly ever played and/or averaged less than 8 ppg yet were drafted that high. The NBA draft is about POTENTIAL. That has nothing to do with stats. Romeo has taken +/- 50 3PA in college. That's too small of a sample size to determine he's a bad 3 point shooter. I already illustrated to you that the best basketball player of all time, Michael Jordan, was a sub 20% 3 point shooter FIVE years into his NBA career. I'd agree with you about Romeo if he had some kind of flawed mechanic or shooting motion but he doesn't.

Drafting in every sport is based upon potential. GMs and scouts attempt to see how a candidates skill set and physical attributes will develop given the increased competition in their leagues. The NBA is no different.

Baseball drafts players out of HS. They use stats and the players are younger as a group than the basketball players. It seems odd to me to assert that similar analysis is not conducted.

Drafting in every sport is based upon potential. GMs and scouts attempt to see how a candidates skill set and physical attributes will develop given the increased competition in their leagues. The NBA is no different.

Baseball drafts players out of HS. They use stats and the players are younger as a group than the basketball players. It seems odd to me to assert that similar analysis is not conducted.

No they don't. A kid who hits .400 against high school level competition is different than a kid who hits .400 against top flight D1competition. No MLB team is basing their draft selection on a high school players stats because it is irrelevant to the level of competition. Put the calculator down and open your eyes.

Last edited:
Again, you are misstating what I wrote. I said stats play a role, not the ONLY role in drafting. I suggest that you refer to Michael Lewis' "Moneyball". He writes extensively how the A's had to totally revamp their Scouting Dept in order to integrate their statistical analytical methods into their drafting and trading decisions. If you have an argument about that you need to take it up with him.

Again, you are misstating what I wrote. I said stats play a role, not the ONLY role in drafting. I suggest that you refer to Michael Lewis' "Moneyball". He writes extensively how the A's had to totally revamp their Scouting Dept in order to integrate their statistical analytical methods into their drafting and trading decisions. If you have an argument about that you need to take it up with him.

Ok so then you can agree that calling Romeo a major risk because he's shooting 21% on 55 3PA is maybe an overreaction on your part? Considering he has great measurables (size/wingspan/athleticism) to go along with being a proven scorer? Just trying to get on the same page as you.

And for the record, MoneyBall more or less has to do with A's and free agency and how to operate on a limited budget, not necessarily how they scout and draft prospects as the A's don't have to pay rookies and minor leaguers right away.

For the record, you are incorrect. While it is true that they use advanced metrics to choose players for trades, etc and apply economics to those decisions they also had to replace their entire scouting dept because the scouts did not subscribe to using the metrics in their analysis. It was so stated in the book, i have read a number of Lewis' books as I enjoy how he studies finance and economics in normal and unusual circumstances. I remember reading the book when it came out and enjoyed it a great deal. I then gave it to my son, then a HS freshman as he wss taking algebra at the time and was often questioning as to how he would ever use this stuff in the future. Of course, that was before he had to take a lot of physics in college.

Last edited:
For the record, you are incorrect. While it is true that they use advanced metrics to choose players for trades, etc and apply economics to those decisions they also had to replace their entire scouting dept because the scouts did not subscribe to using the metrics in their analysis. It was so stated in the book, i have read a number of Lewis' books as I enjoy how he studies finance and economics in normal and unusual circumstances. I remember reading the book when it came out and enjoyed it a great deal. I then gave it to my son, then a HS freshman as he wss taking algebra at the time and was often questioning as to how he would ever use this stuff in the future. Of course, that was before he had to take a lot of physics in college.

You’re exaggerating. There’s no way to apply advanced stats/sabremetrics to 18 year old high schoolers and how it correlates the MLB level. Here’s the deal, if you’re 18 years old and throw 95mph you’re getting drafted regardless of you’re W-L record, you’re ERA, you’re K/BB ratio and that’s because only X amount of 18 year olds can throw 95mph. That’s called potential. Going 15-0 with a sub .100 ERA (stats) with an 83mph fastball pitching against schools with an enrollment of 200 is irrelevant. You’re citing one organization who may do things differently in a completely different sport. I will assure you the A’s aren’t using their first round pick on a guy with the best analytic or advanced stats. Their drafting a player with the most potential.

dude, you post some of the dumbest sh*t.

NCTrojan isn’t wrong about Langford. He’s one of the best players in the conference and showed that again tonight.

However IU lost tonight and Purdue won so hopefully for his sake he’s not tooting the IU horn because Romeo had a good game.

Please go back to peegs.

Genuinely asking, what has NCTrojan said about Langford that’s wrong? He’s averaging 22ppg in conference, shooting 40% from 3, and 55% from the field. That’s exceptional effiency for a guard with that high of usage and volume.

Genuinely asking, what has NCTrojan said about Langford that’s wrong? He’s averaging 22ppg in conference, shooting 40% from 3, and 55% from the field. That’s exceptional effiency for a guard with that high of usage and volume.

Hey, did you see PU won tonight?

Read all his posts. In contention for B10POY doesn’t mean he’s going to win B10POY. And you’re naive to think that after 5 conference games Romeo isn’t at least in contention (which is what he said and if you need me to define contention let me know). No doubt Happ, CBoogie, and Winston are the front runners, but to think Romeo won’t at least garnish consideration, especially for first team (again what NCTrojan actually said) is laughable.

Read all his posts. In contention for B10POY doesn’t mean he’s going to win B10POY. And you’re naive to think that after 5 games Romeo isn’t at least in contention (which is what he said and if you need me to define contention let me know). No doubt Happ, CBoogie, and Winston are the front runners, but to think Romeo won’t at least garnish consideration, especially for first team (again what NCTrojan actually said) is laughable.

uh, no.

You're naive, not me.

you can snuggle up to NC as much as you like, but, ... no.

If Romeo wins B1G POY, it's fixed.

Very good player? Yes.

POY? If awarded, it's a joke. He's not the best B1G player.

Just quit. You and NC are making a mockery of the B1G POY.

uh, no.

You're naive, not me.

Very good player? Yes.

If you want to get technical, through 5 conference games, Romeo (compared to Carsen):

Averages more ppg-22.0 to 21.4
Has a better FG %- 54.7% to 33.6%
Has a better 3P%- 40% to 30%
Has less turnovers- 10 to Carsen’s 17
More Rebs- 25 to Carsen’s 19
More assists- 10 to Carsen’s 9
Better FT%- 88.9% to Carsen’s 84.8%

If you’re arguing stats (which NCTrojan is doing) Carsen doesn’t hold a candle to Romeo.

If you want to get technical, through 5 conference games, Romeo (compared to Carsen):

Averages more ppg-22.0 to 21.4
Has a better FG %- 54.7% to 33.6%
Has a better 3P%- 40% to 30%
Has less turnovers- 10 to Carsen’s 17
More Rebs- 25 to Carsen’s 19
More assists- 10 to Carsen’s 9
Better FT%- 88.9% to Carsen’s 84.8%

If you’re arguing stats (which NCTrojan is doing) Carsen doesn’t hold a candle to Romeo.

Yeah. I got it.

And you got it, too.

uh, no.

You're naive, not me.

Very good player? Yes.

B10POY is going to go to the most valuable player which is obviously Carsen or Happ. Without Carsen or Happ, Purdue and Wisconsin are looking at sub .500 records. Romeo plays alongside Juwan Morgan who is also going to warrant all B10 consideration. If Romeo was allowed to chuck like Carsen he’d average 30+ ppg in his sleep and we wouldn’t be having this conversation. I don’t think Romeo is going to win POY nor have I ever said that, but to call NCTrojan’s posts dumb (which are statically based) is ridiculous. He isn’t wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT