ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Basketball Thread

Damezi wouldve stopped it though.

Think the fact Archie plays a kid like Mcbob over a 4 star like Damezi might really start hurting recruiting going forward.

You hope. DA is a better athlete but is absolutely lost on defense right now. He will be fine next year assuming he is willing to put in the work.

Damezi wouldve stopped it though.

Think the fact Archie plays a kid like Mcbob over a 4 star like Damezi might really start hurting recruiting going forward.

Have you even watched him play this year? He’ll be good in the future, but he’s not ready right now. I admit McBob is not playing well though, he just came back from back spasms and hasn’t looked like himself defensively, but still a much better defender than Damezi currently is. His time will come when he’s ready.

Have you even watched him play this year? He’ll be good in the future, but he’s not ready right now. I admit McBob is not playing well though, he just came back from back spasms and hasn’t looked like himself defensively, but still a much better defender than Damezi currently is. His time will come when he’s ready.

My entire post was a tongue in cheek joke based on all the eifert over wheeler will hurt recruiting posts.

Indiana is not even top 30 in either offense or defense. They really dont have an identity. Theyre 28th in KenPom and have steadily been dropping.

I remember NC Trojan told me Maryland wasnt a good win for Purdue because their KenPom ranking. Maryland is now ranked higher in KenPom than Indiana, so surely he agrees Indiana isnt a good team.
Yeah, the only thing they do well is 2-pt FG%, but they are decent on D. I do think injuries have hurt them, but only game I think they would have picked up on that is Arky. Hunter is a stud and think he would have pushed Smith for minutes.

They are a 18-25 kind of team, but not a FF competitor. I think we split with them this year.

PS: you still sticking with the Langford as 6th best Frosh in the conference thingy? ;)

And this with the refs doing everything in their power to keep Indiana in the game in the second half. Michigan doesn’t foul yet the fouls were 10-3 in favor of Indiana lol.

Go to espn.com. look up scores. Under the IU score follow the chart of point difference found in the gamecast during the game. Then tell me that a simple linear best fit curve is not almost a straight line with little variance. It obviously is. Don't be silly. It is very constant. See for yourself.

Last edited:
Yeah, the only thing they do well is 2-pt FG%, but they are decent on D. I do think injuries have hurt them, but only game I think they would have picked up on that is Arky. Hunter is a stud and think he would have pushed Smith for minutes.

They are a 18-25 kind of team, but not a FF competitor. I think we split with them this year.

PS: you still sticking with the Langford as 6th best Frosh in the conference thingy? ;)

I never said Langford was the 6th best frosh. I simply didnt include him on my 5 preseason freshman team im excited to see. When pressed on it, I said it was because he would struggle shooting and would have to rely on free throws. Was as spot on an assessment of a freshmans game as I can ever remember having.

I will be amazed if DA does not transfer after next year and it would not surprise me if he transfered this year. He is not being used properly by Miller and he has not developed. He made an unfortunate choice in his commitment.

I never said Langford was the 6th best frosh. I simply didnt include him on my 5 preseason freshman team im excited to see. When pressed on it, I said it was because he would struggle shooting and would have to rely on free throws. Was as spot on an assessment of a freshmans game as I can ever remember having.
"Excited to see"? A guy posted about the idea of Hunter being Big 10 Frosh POTY.

Your reply: "Going to be hard to beat out Joe Wieskamp, Ayo Dosunmu, Jalen Smith, Aaron Wiggins, and IGNAS"

That was in context of Frosh Player of the year, not excitment.

Look, I liked what you posted from a pure "I hope that happens" and I agreed with you on his outside shooting, but it kinda missed the mark in terms of his overall impact. Even without a consistent 3-ball, the kid is a stud.

I will be amazed if DA does not transfer after next year and it would not surprise me if he transfered this year. He is not being used properly by Miller and he has not developed. He made an unfortunate choice in his commitment.
Umm, how would use a kid that cannot guard a chair? There is more to basketball than putting the ball in the hoop.

Soooooo....worse than 6th? Or do you not understand how math works? He doesn't struggle shooting...he struggles from three. WHich I am shocked by. He shot 37-38% in HS...We are 15 games in. So maybe it is what it is. I dunno. You would think eventually water would find its level. Time will tell. Still....He's averaging 20ppg in conference. I'll take that, and don't care how he does it.

Umm, how would use a kid that cannot guard a chair? There is more to basketball than putting the ball in the hoop.
I am curious how Archie is going to use him. What little I saw him playing for you guys, he seemed to knock down some catch-n-shoot shots, but was shaky with his handle and couldn't guard. It seems like Miller likes defenders/slashers vs pure shooters that can't slash/defend. Armaan Franklin seems like what I think Miller prefers, which is sorta the opposite of DA.

Again, just curious what Miller has in mind for him.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

You make my point. He is a bad defender. However, Painter takes players who are not good defenders and makes them competent at the minimum and good more than likely. Examples are Cline and Mathias who were poor to mediocre at first and became competent to very good. That is why DA made a bad choice. He is being recruited over already.

Last edited:
I am curious how Archie is going to use him. What little I saw him playing for you guys, he seemed to knock down some catch-n-shoot shots, but was shaky with his handle and couldn't guard. It seems like Miller likes defenders/slashers vs pure shooters that can't slash/defend. Armaan Franklin seems like what I think Miller prefers, which is sorta the opposite of DA.

Again, just curious what Miller has in mind for him.
I think Miller see's him as a catch and shoot guy---who eventually will be able to get to the rim. Probalem is---he cannot defend at all. He even looks lost on the offensive side of the ball. Plus, I mean, he's a frosh, battling a 5*, a junior(Green) and a highly improved Durham for minutes. For him to see the floor, he has to defend. Until then, he won't.

You make my point. He is a bad defender. However, Painter takes players who are not good defenders and makes them competent at the minimum and good more than likely. Examples are Cline and Mathias whomwere poor to mediocre at first and became competent to very good. That is why DA made a bad choice. He is being recruited over already.
Cline and Mathias did this as freshman? You do understand the guys playing in front of him are better: Langford, Durham and Green. Much better to be exact.. Who's minutes do you give to Anderson?
Anderson made a bad choice?? Where was his good choice then? He cannot defend. Looks lost on both ends. Just don't see how Miller is using him wrong? Kid just simply isn't ready for Big 10 basketball.

I think Miller see's him as a catch and shoot guy---who eventually will be able to get to the rim. Probalem is---he cannot defend at all. He even looks lost on the offensive side of the ball. Plus, I mean, he's a frosh, battling a 5*, a junior(Green) and a highly improved Durham for minutes. For him to see the floor, he has to defend. Until then, he won't.
Makes sense, was just curious as he seems a bit of an outlier for them as far as what I sense Miller likes in a player. Will likely get more complicated if (more like when) Brooks arrives next year. No way DA gets much time over a freak like Brooks.

It does raise the question on IU and shooting next year. Does Miller see DA as a necessary piece just for the sake of filling in a skill deficit IU has from 3-pt line? I saw you guys are pushing for Ivey and Leal more recently...I'm assuming that is to grab a shooter for '20?

Makes sense, was just curious as he seems a bit of an outlier for them as far as what I sense Miller likes in a player. Will likely get more complicated if (more like when) Brooks arrives next year. No way DA gets much time over a freak like Brooks.

It does raise the question on IU and shooting next year. Does Miller see DA as a necessary piece just for the sake of filling in a skill deficit IU has from 3-other line? I saw you guys are pushing for Ivey and Leal more recently...I'm assuming that is to grab a shooter for '20?
I do think Miller sells Anderson on staying because of his shooting. It will certainly be a need, to an extent, next year. Shooting won't be that bad with Durham, Phinisee, Hunter(if he can play) and Brooks(if he's a Hoosier.). Not sure Miller really puts an emphasis on shooters, oppsoed to "good shots". IMO, he feels a decent/average shooter, can do so well enough, if taking good shots.

I like Leal. And yes, I think its to grab a shooter.

It does raise the question on IU and shooting next year. Does Miller see DA as a necessary piece just for the sake of filling in a skill deficit IU has from 3-pt line? I saw you guys are pushing for Ivey and Leal more recently...I'm assuming that is to grab a shooter for '20?
I dont see IU offering Leal or Ivey. Sitting in a good spot with Ethan Morton and Caleb Love right now in 2020.

I do think Miller sells Anderson on staying because of his shooting. It will certainly be a need, to an extent, next year. Shooting won't be that bad with Durham, Phinisee, Hunter(if he can play) and Brooks(if he's a Hoosier.). Not sure Miller really puts an emphasis on shooters, oppsoed to "good shots". IMO, he feels a decent/average shooter, can do so well enough, if taking good shots.

I like Leal. And yes, I think its to grab a shooter.
Ok, makes sense. Durham seems to have gotten better from 3 and Phinesse obviously is hitting from there. I do think Hunter will be a solid 3 shooter and Brooks too, but I think it's more in a 38-41% range than say what you guys had with Hulls/Watford (47-49%).

'20 is kinda week for talent in-state, but Leal may be the best there is. Not elite, but a solid B10 guard. I know IU is going after that kid (Love?) from Missouri. Would they still take Leal if they get Love?

Ps: I hear you guys getting Brooks is not a done deal, but getting sorta likely as the decision approaches.

Ok, makes sense. Durham seems to have gotten better from 3 and Phinesse obviously is hitting from there. I do think Hunter will be a solid 3 shooter and Brooks too, but I think it's more in a 38-41% range than say what you guys had with Hulls/Watford (47-49%).

'20 is kinda week for talent in-state, but Leal may be the best there is. Not elite, but a solid B10 guard. I know IU is going after that kid (Love?) from Missouri. Would they still take Leal if they get Love?

Ps: I hear you guys getting Brooks is not a done deal, but getting sorta likely as the decision approaches.
Caleb Love of Missouri....If IU were to land him, I;m not sure it impacts Leal that much. I think IU see's love more as a PG, with Leal as a SG. I could be wrong, but IMO , IU see's love as a replacement to Phinisee.

I don't feel Brooks is a lock. But I feel confident he'll be a Hoosier.

Cline and Mathias did this as freshman? You do understand the guys playing in front of him are better: Langford, Durham and Green. Much better to be exact.. Who's minutes do you give to Anderson?
Anderson made a bad choice?? Where was his good choice then? He cannot defend. Looks lost on both ends. Just don't see how Miller is using him wrong? Kid just simply isn't ready for Big 10 basketball.

They were not finished products as freshmen. But they noticeably improved throughout the year and into subsequent years. You are not seeing that with DA. Which is why I feel that he made a mistake.

Soooooo....worse than 6th? Or do you not understand how math works? He doesn't struggle shooting...he struggles from three. WHich I am shocked by. He shot 37-38% in HS...We are 15 games in. So maybe it is what it is. I dunno. You would think eventually water would find its level. Time will tell. Still....He's averaging 20ppg in conference. I'll take that, and don't care how he does it.

Shooting 36% from 3 during conference and teams are definitely respecting his jumpshot, as they should. He's gotten to the line 27 times in 4 conference game and is shooting 85% from the line.

Go to espn.com. look up scores. Undet the IU score follow the chart of point difference found in the gamecast during the game. Then tell me that a simple linear best fit curve is not almost a straight line with little variance. It obviously is. Don't be silly. It is very constant. See for yourself.

Yes, now imagine that line if Indiana was not helped by the refs. Pretty simple to understand.

Yes, now imagine that line if Indiana was not helped by the refs. Pretty simple to understand.

I do not dispute your point. The game was essentially over very early on in the 5-8 minutes of the first half when the lead was established. I fluctuated slightly thereafter but Michigan was never seriously threatened for the rest of the game. I also noticed la lack of intensity as they seemed to know that they were not going to be threatened.

The refs did call a lot of fouls for the visiting team. That is an unusual circumstance in the B1G. Not a conspiracy theorist, but would the fact that the game was a national broadcast and ratings matter at contract time might have had a "slight influence"?

I gotta sau Borden, your basketball knowledge never fails to amaze me. You tried warning me about Juwan Morgan last offseason and I didnt listen. This year youve outdone yourself and tried warning me about little known Romeo Langford and I disnt listen again. Ive got to say, you are 2 for 2. Maybe I will listen to an old knowledgeable full of wisdom youth basketball ref next year when you warn me about Trayce Jackson Davis.

I had Romeo Langford as my third overall ranked frosh in the conference coming in, but he did not make my 5 frosh Im most excited to see.

I would say IGNAS is the favorite to win frosh of the year in the conference, but Romeo appears to be right there with him.

The dark horse nobody is talking about is Jalen Sticks Smith of Maryland.

Hes averaging 14 points per game and 7 rebounds per game in conference play, and hes doing it on 60% from 2 and 40% from 3.

If the season ended today, he would be my B1G frosh of the year, IGNAS would be 2nd and Romeo 3rd.

My all freshman team so far is

Romeo Langford
IGNAS
Jalen Smith
Ayo Dosunmu

And my 5th would be Aaron Wheeler, if hes eligible as a redshirt frosh. If not, I would have to scour the rosters to see who Im missing. I really like Aaron Henry at MSU so maybe him. Wieskamp at Iowa is a baller as well.

I gotta sau Borden, your basketball knowledge never fails to amaze me. You tried warning me about Juwan Morgan last offseason and I didnt listen. This year youve outdone yourself and tried warning me about little known Romeo Langford and I disnt listen again. Ive got to say, you are 2 for 2. Maybe I will listen to an old knowledgeable full of wisdom youth basketball ref next year when you warn me about Trayce Jackson Davis.

I had Romeo Langford as my third overall ranked frosh in the conference coming in, but he did not make my 5 frosh Im most excited to see.

I would say IGNAS is the favorite to win frosh of the year in the conference, but Romeo appears to be right there with him.

Hes averaging 14 points per game and 7 rebounds per game in conference play, and hes doing it on 60% from 2 and 40% from 3.

If the season ended today, he would be my B1G frosh of the year, IGNAS would be 2nd and Romeo 3rd.

Romeo Langford
IGNAS
Jalen Smith
Ayo Dosunmu

And my 5th would be Aaron Wheeler, if hes eligible as a redshirt frosh. If not, I would have to scour the rosters to see who Im missing. I really like Aaron Henry at MSU so maybe him. Wieskamp at Iowa is a baller as well.
Okay, you are going to have to help me understand your logic here with Smith being your freshman of the year right now.

As you said, Smith is averaging the following:

14 ppg
7 rebs
.8 ast
.5 Stl
.5 blk
60% from 2
40% from 3
57% from FT

Romeo:

21 ppg
6 rebs
1.8 ast
.8 stl
.8 blk
61% from 2
36% from 3
85% from FT

So the only category Smith leads Romeo is rebounds (by 1 rebound) and 3pt % (by 4%).

I realize this is just your opinion, and you are welcome to think what you want, but I want to understand how you came to the conclusion you did based on their stats.

Okay, you are going to have to help me understand your logic here with Smith being your freshman of the year right now.

14 ppg
7 rebs
.8 ast
.5 Stl
.5 blk
60% from 2
40% from 3
57% from FT

Romeo:

21 ppg
6 rebs
1.8 ast
.8 stl
.8 blk
61% from 2
36% from 3
85% from FT

So the only category Smith leads Romeo is rebounds (by 1 rebound) and 3pt % (by 4%).

I realize this is just your opinion, and you are welcome to think what you want, but I want to understand how you came to the conclusion you did based on their stats.

Jalen Smith plays 8 less minutes per game. Romeo Langford also has over double the amount of turnovers as Jalen Smith.

Im also not a slave to stats, I have watched a ton of B1G basketball and Jalen Smith has been as important to Maryland as any frosh has been to their team.

Romeo Langford
IGNAS
Jalen Smith
Ayo Dosunmu

If the season ended today the All-Freshman team would be very easy to pick.

Romeo Langford
Ignas Brazdeikis
Jalen Smith
Daniel Oturu
Joe Weiskamp

Break up the Scarlet Knights....three starters and a reserve in double figures scoring. Rutgers with a big win @ home last night over Ohio State, 64-61.

Reactions: TX4GB

14 ppg
7 rebs
.8 ast
.5 Stl
.5 blk
60% from 2
40% from 3
57% from FT

Romeo:

21 ppg
6 rebs
1.8 ast
.8 stl
.8 blk
61% from 2
36% from 3
85% from FT

I am astounded that you had the nerve to make this post. Romeo is a 36% 3 pt shooter? I know that you are using conference-only data as for the season he is shooting 22.6%, which is means that you have overstated his total shooting by more 59%. It gets worse. Romeo has made 12 3-pointers on the season out of 53 attempts. In the B1G, he is 5 for 14 over 4 games. However, he is 4 of 12 in the games against PSU, NW and ILL. Those teams are a collective 1-12 in W/L record. I recall you claiming that you needed a respectable size sample set to make a judgment about his shooting and now you are making praise based upon 15 attempts? That is hilarious and a total contradiction of your earlier position. Your 36% figure is a really small sample set and gotten against the worst teams in the conference. We can certainly extrapolate a lot based upon that, dws

I am astounded that you had the nerve to make this post. Romeo is a 36% 3 pt shooter? I know that you are using conference-only data as for the season he is shooting 22.6%, which is means that you have overstated his total shooting by more 59%. It gets worse. Romeo has made 12 3-pointers on the season out of 53 attempts. In the B1G, he is 5 for 14 over 4 games. However, he is 4 of 12 in the games against PSU, NW and ILL. Those teams are a collective 1-12 in W/L record. I recall you claiming that you needed a respectable size sample set to make a judgment about his shooting and now you are making praise based upon 15 attempts? That is hilarious and a total contradiction of your earlier position. Your 36% figure is a really small sample set and gotten against the worst teams in the conference. We can certainly extrapolate a lot based upon that, dws
Conference stats are what play into conference awards. PSU, Northwestern, and Michigan are all top half of the conference in defensive efficiency. The point is that through 4 games, Romeo's all conference resume is better than Smith's (actually it's better than pretty much everyone's).

You also neglect his stats were achieved against the three worst teams. Think that they might go down as he plays more games?

You also neglect his stats were achieved against the three worst teams. Think that they might go down as he plays more games?
As I pointed out 3 of the 4 teams IU has played are fairly highly ranked in defensive efficiency. We haven't had the luxury of playing Iowa yet.

As I pointed out 3 of the 4 teams IU has played are fairly highly ranked in defensive efficiency. We haven't had the luxury of playing Iowa yet.

And I note with interest your citing of a shooting percentage based upon a sample set that you have previously dismissed as too small to be meaningful. FYI, it really helps to be logically consistent on this board. It is hard to take seriously the positions of a poster who contradicts himself just to make the point of the moment.

Reactions: Schnelk
And I note with interest your citing of a shooting percentage based upon a sample set that you have previously dismissed as too small to be meaningful. FYI, it really helps to be logically consistent on this board. It is hard to take seriously the positions of a poster who contradicts himself just to make the point of the moment.
I listed their current stats. Currently Romeo is 1st team all conference and a serious BPOY candidate. I know how much that must pain you, and is likely the reason you are being an a**.

Yes, you listed current stats to bolster your position, which are derived from a sample set that you have previously described as too small and thus meaningless. Pointing out your contradictions doesn't make me an ass, it rather points out your hypocrisy.

Reactions: Schnelk
Yes, you listed current stats to bolster your position, which are derived from a sample set that you have previously described as too small and thus meaningless. Pointing out your contradictions doesn't make me an ass, it rather points out your hypocrisy.
I see you still haven't figured out how to properly reply to a post.

The person I responded to said he would have Smith over Romeo and Iggy AT THIS POINT for BFOY. I listed their stats and asked how he came to that conclusion. I didnt say "Oh my God romeo is such a good shooter, he is shooting 36%".

The entire point was that to this point no freshman in the B1G currently has a better conference resume than Romeo. In fact, as I pointed out, he us currently playing at a 1st team all conference level. I'm not shocked you dont understand that. I'm sure if I asked you to list your 1st team all conference team at this point you would include Carsen which would be absolutely laughable. You dont understand basketball, that much is obvious.

I see you still haven't figured out how to properly reply to a post.

The person I responded to said he would have Smith over Romeo and Iggy AT THIS POINT for BFOY. I listed their stats and asked how he came to that conclusion. I didnt say "Oh my God romeo is such a good shooter, he is shooting 36%".

The entire point was that to this point no freshman in the B1G currently has a better conference resume than Romeo. In fact, as I pointed out, he us currently playing at a 1st team all conference level. I'm not shocked you dont understand that. I'm sure if I asked you to list your 1st team all conference team at this point you would include Carsen which would be absolutely laughable. You dont understand basketball, that much is obvious.
Tool + Troll = NC Trojan. IU board please and Thank you!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT