ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier (2-0) at Purdue (2-0) Gavitt Games MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

this was going to be a great game. Man, I'd hate to be an X fan this year.
Yeah, it was a great game when it was originally on the schedule. But we are 18 point favorites for a reason. Their injuries are numerous and to key people for them. Looking forward to the game, but not nearly as good for the resume as it could have been.

Freemantle is out for most of the year I know, and there is another major injury as well. Still a little surprised at the number of -18 for tonight. Was thinking 14.5.

Yeah, it was a great game when it was originally on the schedule. But we are 18 point favorites for a reason. Their injuries are numerous and to key people for them. Looking forward to the game, but not nearly as good for the resume as it could have been.
I think this one (assuming a win) is going to look great on the resume as they will be better later in the season and people won't care or remember who was out 3 months earlier.

Reactions: Hausta01
Hello ladies and gentlemen - this evening, the Xavier Musketeers (2-0) come to Mackey Arena to face the #2-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (2-0) in the Gavitt Games Challenge. Tip-off is scheduled for 8:30 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on FS1.

Xavier beat Jacksonville 79-56 in its last game. The Musketeers struggled a little with shooting - just 24.1 percent from three-point range. Senior guard Quincy Olivari led the way with 17 points and four assists. Xavier was outrebounded but forced 17 turnovers to help the cause.

Purdue downed Morehead State, 87-57, converting nearly 55 percent from the field, but they did struggle a bit from long-range and also gave up more offensive rebounds than Matt Painter would like, outrebounding the Eagles overall, 38-31. Zach Edey paced the Boilers with 18 points and eight rebounds in the win.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Xavier - Abou Ousmane, Gytis Nemeiksa, Desmond Claude, Dayvion McKnight, and Quincy Olivari

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Purdue has gotten off to quick starts in its first two games - Smith, Loyer, and Jones should get some early good looks - could be a long night for the Muskateers if they are hot early. However, they have the make-up to make things difficult for the Purdue back court - this will be a good test for the Boilers, as Xavier can definitely match-up better than previous opponents despite having a lot of roster turnover from last season. Western Kentucky transfer Dayvion McKnight is a terrific ball handler, and he has the offensive repertoire to put Purdue in some tough positions with Zach Edey on the wing - expect a lot of ball screens to be dialed up from Sean Miller in order to create as many mismatches as possible. If Xavier can have some success with that and knock enough down from long-range, they can make this a very competitive game.

With the Boilers, I think it's the same litmus test as usual - get the good opportunities and knock them down and limit the turnovers - because again, Purdue should have a decent edge on the glass - maximize the number of possessions. The one difference this year has been the pace. Purdue has played a little more up-tempo than in the recent past - the Boilers are currently 23rd in the NCAA in pushing the pace. With Xavier having some injury issues in the front court, you may see Purdue slow things down just a little bit. Zach Edey was more of a factor early in Game #2 than the opener against Samford. Xavier has been fairly deliberate on offense so far this year.

Can the Boilers keep things on track heading into the early holidy stretch? Gonzaga and the Maui Invitational loom next.....As Travis noted - it's been a while since Purdue has knocked off Xavier, and this would be a good time to reverse that trend. We shall see.

Boiler Up, my friends.....

i
i

I think this one (assuming a win) is going to look great on the resume as they will be better later in the season and people won't care or remember who was out 3 months earlier.

Putting some $ on the X ML now... ;-P

Freemantle is out for most of the year I know, and there is another major injury as well. Still a little surprised at the number of -18 for tonight. Was thinking 14.5.
you forgot the 3.5 pts for home field adv ( kidding)

X still looked reasonable in the game I watched. We will get everyone's desperation shot, so I hope the boys are mentally prepared!

X's lineup is similar to the ones that have knocked us out of March Madness. And you are right to have us slow it down. However, I would like to see us ramp it up, as this will be a great test for us. If I am wrong, IMO we can always slow it down in the second half of the second half and still win.

I passed on putting money on this one. Do we hit our threes or not?

Agreed if they get those players back. But from what I read a couple of them are projected to be out the whole year. Hopefully they play well after tonight and it is a plus on the resume.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Not sure about 18 but let’s see how this team plays against their first real competition - have a feeling we shoot very well from 3 and Edey dominates - Purdue 85, Xavier 66

Michigan looking good early. Scoring well. McDaniel going to be a problem for us. Blurr. Not familiar with this 5* Burnett, but he put a show on in H1. Think they still have Llewyen, but haven't seen him tonight. Very talented guard heavy team that is going to be very good all year.... regardless of outcome tonight. If they can stay disciplined, they will make a nice run this year.

Michigan looking good early. Scoring well. McDaniel going to be a problem for us. Blurr. Not familiar with this 5* Burnett, but he put a show on in H1. Think they still have Llewyen, but haven't seen him tonight. Very talented guard heavy team that is going to be very good all year.... regardless of outcome tonight. If they can stay disciplined, they will make a nice run this year.
I agree Michigan looking legit right now. Questioning how good St. John’s is.

Tonight is Purdue's first true test of the season as the Musketeers come to town. Tune in at 8:30PM on Fox Sports 1. Purdue is 9-6 all time against Xavier, but it has lost five in a row to the Musketeers and has not beaten them since 2001.
FWIW Noah Smith is in the house. Soph at Plainfield 6’8” and 17 shoe size. Once IU and ND heard he was visiting Purdue they started amping up the recruiting. Friendly parents. He is playing for Andy Weaver that used to coach Western

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B
I agree Michigan looking legit right now. Questioning how good St. John’s is.

Not good defensively so far. Do like STJ press idea. They have personell for that. But not effective against McDaniel and M guard speed. Will work against teams like perhaps Purdue with slower guards. Mich looked good in their other games offensively too. This game though, Burnett got ultra hot in H1.....prob an outlier, although he is a 5*. Perhaps that is why not close. But McDaniel making sure it stays that way. He's a handful. M shooting well H2.....partly due to poor D, party due to M.

Hello ladies and gentlemen - this evening, the Xavier Musketeers (2-0) come to Mackey Arena to face the #2-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (2-0) in the Gavitt Games Challenge. Tip-off is scheduled for 8:30 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on FS1.

Xavier beat Jacksonville 79-56 in its last game. The Musketeers struggled a little with shooting - just 24.1 percent from three-point range. Senior guard Quincy Olivari led the way with 17 points and four assists. Xavier was outrebounded but forced 17 turnovers to help the cause.

Purdue downed Morehead State, 87-57, converting nearly 55 percent from the field, but they did struggle a bit from long-range and also gave up more offensive rebounds than Matt Painter would like, outrebounding the Eagles overall, 38-31. Zach Edey paced the Boilers with 18 points and eight rebounds in the win.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Xavier - Abou Ousmane, Gytis Nemeiksa, Desmond Claude, Dayvion McKnight, and Quincy Olivari

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Purdue has gotten off to quick starts in its first two games - Smith, Loyer, and Jones should get some early good looks - could be a long night for the Muskateers if they are hot early. However, they have the make-up to make things difficult for the Purdue back court - this will be a good test for the Boilers, as Xavier can definitely match-up better than previous opponents despite having a lot of roster turnover from last season. Western Kentucky transfer Dayvion McKnight is a terrific ball handler, and he has the offensive repertoire to put Purdue in some tough positions with Zach Edey on the wing - expect a lot of ball screens to be dialed up from Sean Miller in order to create as many mismatches as possible. If Xavier can have some success with that and knock enough down from long-range, they can make this a very competitive game.

With the Boilers, I think it's the same litmus test as usual - get the good opportunities and knock them down and limit the turnovers - because again, Purdue should have a decent edge on the glass - maximize the number of possessions. The one difference this year has been the pace. Purdue has played a little more up-tempo than in the recent past - the Boilers are currently 23rd in the NCAA in pushing the pace. With Xavier having some injury issues in the front court, you may see Purdue slow things down just a little bit. Zach Edey was more of a factor early in Game #2 than the opener against Samford. Xavier has been fairly deliberate on offense so far this year.

Can the Boilers keep things on track heading into the early holidy stretch? Gonzaga and the Maui Invitational loom next.....As Travis noted - it's been a while since Purdue has knocked off Xavier, and this would be a good time to reverse that trend. We shall see.

Boiler Up, my friends.....

i
i
Start a new streak tonight! BTFU!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT