ADVERTISEMENT

Would Painter throw the next game?

So we are talking about what is best for the fans. I can't bring myself to think that way. Sorry.

What is best for Purdue.

I know how beneficial it would be for Purdue to win a National Championship as opposed to just the BTT.

Last edited:
Not going to win the NCAA tournament by coasting and resting players. Be tough, be conditioned and keep in game shape. Play 'em hard, play 'em the whole game. I know our fanbase has PTSD from all the past bad luck, but we dodged a bullet yesterday. Maybe things are finally aligning. Be positive... heck... be boastful and confident for once. Let's not have fear of "what could happen" let's be loud, proud and in-your-face! BTFU

Not going to win the NCAA tournament by coasting and resting players. Be tough, be conditioned and keep in game shape. Play 'em hard, play 'em the whole game. I know our fanbase has PTSD from all the past bad luck, but we dodged a bullet yesterday. Maybe things are finally aligning. Be positive... heck... be boastful and confident for once. Let's not have fear of "what could happen" let's be loud, proud and in-your-face! BTFU

It is not what could happen, but Smith actually getting injured each of the last two games. As others have pointed out once you are tweaked there is an increased chance of further injury. Let's get him healthy. (I know we don't know the extent of the injury but clearly he was hurt enough to have to leave the court both games.) And many other schools are taking this approach of going for the much, much bigger prize.

Chucky Hepburn sat out today for Wisconsin. Kolek sat out for Marquette. Dickinson and McCullar sat out for Kansas. All sat out to rest in hopes they’re 100% for the tournament. Other coaches realize that the big prize is the NCAA championship and are sacrificing a conference tournament championship for a better chance at the big prize. I don’t see a problem in playing Edey as he hasn’t been hurt beyond minor bumps, but Smith should sit. Even if he feels fine and it was just a hyperextension, he’s at a greater risk for injury until he heals.
Most of those guys sat out with injuries. Some may not return for the tournament. It will likely affect Kansas' seed severely.

Sit Smith and Edey for the next game, start Furst, move Jones to point and start Heide or Colvin.
This would be the perfect, low risk/no risk opportunity to get Heide and Colvin 20 mins each and more experience for the tourney.

We already have the No1 seed locked up, the BTT does nothing for you but wear guys down and risk potential injury to your two most important players who have both gotten dinged the last 2 games.
There are new players on this roster. For them, this might be there only chance to win a BTT title. I don't know how you explain to them that they need to look at the bigger picture. You can't say that Zach or Smith won't get injured during the NCAA tourney at some point. Let the players play. Let the chips fall where they may.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT