ADVERTISEMENT

Would Painter throw the next game?

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
Sit Smith and Edey for the next game, start Furst, move Jones to point and start Heide or Colvin.
This would be the perfect, low risk/no risk opportunity to get Heide and Colvin 20 mins each and more experience for the tourney.

We already have the No1 seed locked up, the BTT does nothing for you but wear guys down and risk potential injury to your two most important players who have both gotten dinged the last 2 games.

I get trying to win every game but not at this cost - our first game is probably one week from today. I’m not against the idea of sitting Smith and Edey who are both banged up but that won’t happen.

No. Play them hard. Injuries can happen at any time, but keep learning, keep in shape and keep battling. That's how winners get ready for a Final Four run, not hiding from games like a little scared child. Come on Boiler fans, stop this crap. Yes, I know, Hummel, Haas, Big Dog, etc - but that's in the past. Let's go win the B1G and get ready for the tournament.

No. Play them hard. Injuries can happen at any time, but keep learning, keep in shape and keep battling. That's how winners get ready for a Final Four run, not hiding from games like a little scared child. Come on Boiler fans, stop this crap. Yes, I know, Hummel, Haas, Big Dog, etc - but that's in the past. Let's go win the B1G and get ready for the tournament.

'Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it,” George Santayana.

Hummel had bad knees. Robinson was injured during hordseplay off the court. Haas was taken out by a play that is now a technical foul. I'm not sure what in history would repeat itself.

That given enough games someone is going to get hurt, QED.

I agree... I think, but I wouldn't cry if Paint threw in the towel and rested all the starters.

Reactions: boilermaker75
True. So why risk any player getting injured? How can we possibly justify it? Cancel the rest of the games, including the NCAA tournament.

It is pretty common practice at the end of the season when a game is not going to have an effect on playoff positioning to rest your stars.

Yes it might cost us the B1G tournament, but there are much larger things that could be accomplished this season. Plus the benefit of Colvin, Heide, etc getting more playing time in the B1G tournament is very valuable. And I would not say it was throwing the game. We still might beat Wisconsin or Northwestern without Braden and Zach.

Sit Smith and Edey for the next game, start Furst, move Jones to point and start Heide or Colvin.
This would be the perfect, low risk/no risk opportunity to get Heide and Colvin 20 mins each and more experience for the tourney.

We already have the No1 seed locked up, the BTT does nothing for you but wear guys down and risk potential injury to your two most important players who have both gotten dinged the last 2 games.
Tbh I think we should forfeit the game and GTFO of Minnesota

You meant the Colts resting starters and getting torched in the first round, right? ;)

As Jacobi always said, invert, always invert.

Let’s say in the press conference after the game Painter was asked about pulling Braden and Zach. Painter says, “Both players and the trainers said they were good to go. I felt like they weren’t playing as normal so I decided to be cautious and take them out.”

Would anyone here be complaining?

Painter has a day to think about it and check on the health of his 2 stars. When I saw the replay of Braden’s knee buckling, I just wanted to see him shut it down for this tournament, but the medical staff will know a lot more than I do as they make this call.

As Jacobi always said, invert, always invert.

Let’s say in the press conference after the game Painter was asked about pulling Braden and Zach. Painter says, “Both players and the trainers said they were good to go. I felt like they weren’t playing as normal so I decided to be cautious and take them out.”

Would anyone here be complaining?
No. But I'm not complaining now.

Painter has a day to think about it and check on the health of his 2 stars. When I saw the replay of Braden’s knee buckling, I just wanted to see him shut it down for this tournament, but the medical staff will know a lot more than I do as they make this call.
My worry was that he wasn't going to have a choice. I said, "We are cursed." The fact that he was walking it off was very reassuring.

Yes sit Edey and Smith for the next game. It will never happen in a million years but one can hope. This tournament means NOTHING. 43 years since the last final 4. 43 f*cking years!!!! 91 years since the last national title. Throw the game tomorrow. IT MEANS NOTHING.

#1 overall seed it locked up already. THORW IT

Yes sit Edey and Smith for the next game. It will never happen in a million years but one can hope. This tournament means NOTHING. 43 years since the last final 4. 43 f*cking years!!!! 91 years since the last national title. Throw the game tomorrow. IT MEANS NOTHING.

#1 overall seed it locked up already. THORW IT
I wouldnt be upset in the slightest if we did this

Reactions: BoilerNGold013
OK, arguing.
If the argument is whether or not you should sit players to avoid injuries, then where do you draw the line? Edey or Smith could have been injured in practice or during warmups prior to any game this season. Is that an argument that they shouldn't participate in those activities? Players get bumps, bruises, strains, and sprains all season long. There is a big difference between hurting and being injured.

As TJ pointed out, Painter listens and makes decisions with his staff and players. He has all the information. And as Edey said, they came to win, not to sit.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler

If I ignore the trolling nature of your title, I generally agree with your premise and would have not problem with MP sitting both. I'd probably be inclined to sit Braden and play Zach but limit his minutes. If the game starts to get away from you or if Zach tweaks his ankle again you pull the plug and roll with your next eight guys.

Let’s look on the positive! We had that thread that asked if we ever had a player miss time due to injury! You all cursed the guy for even creating the thread!

So now after he was stupid enough to post the thread and jinxed us, now we can say we had an injury that caused a player to miss time!

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Not gonna happen. This team wants another tournament title for Jones. Jones obviously wants one too.

Painter never brings out the bubble wrap to protect his players. As for tanking, He thinks that’s some military maneuver

If the argument is whether or not you should sit players to avoid injuries, then where do you draw the line? Edey or Smith could have been injured in practice or during warmups prior to any game this season. Is that an argument that they shouldn't participate in those activities? Players get bumps, bruises, strains, and sprains all season long. There is a big difference between hurting and being injured.

As TJ pointed out, Painter listens and makes decisions with his staff and players. He has all the information. And as Edey said, they came to win, not to sit.

Maybe you draw the line when a loss this weekend pales in comparison to any loss after this weekend?

Agree 100%. Get TKR going, too, so he can get his mojo back.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Chucky Hepburn sat out today for Wisconsin. Kolek sat out for Marquette. Dickinson and McCullar sat out for Kansas. All sat out to rest in hopes they’re 100% for the tournament. Other coaches realize that the big prize is the NCAA championship and are sacrificing a conference tournament championship for a better chance at the big prize. I don’t see a problem in playing Edey as he hasn’t been hurt beyond minor bumps, but Smith should sit. Even if he feels fine and it was just a hyperextension, he’s at a greater risk for injury until he heals.

Even if he feels fine and it was just a hyperextension, he’s at a greater risk for injury until he heals.
I don't think you know that without knowing the full diagnosis but i agree with you in general. If there's any increased risk or even a potential to aggravate or delay Braden getting back to full strength, sit him.

I'm not going to panic, I fully believe that MP views the NCAAT as the prize and if he plays Braden today it's because his medical staff tells him that doing so doesn't pose a risk.

I don't think you know that without knowing the full diagnosis but i agree with you in general. If there's any increased risk or even a potential to aggravate or delay Braden getting back to full strength, sit him.

I'm not going to panic, I fully believe that MP views the NCAAT as the prize and if he plays Braden today it's because his medical staff tells him that doing so doesn't pose a risk.
Will be watching like this 🫣 the whole time

• Love
Reactions: northside100
Will be watching like this 🫣 the whole time

I'm feeling like I'm at the Optometrist.......

Like this?

giphy.gif

or like this?

giphy.gif

Now....how about this?

spongebob-meme.gif

cool-sbgi-fs.gif

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT