ADVERTISEMENT

Worst 3 Point Shooting Team in Ten Years

hamcoboiler

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 29, 2013
This Purdue team is Painter's 3rd worst 3 Point shooting team in his tenure. The last team that was worse was the starting back court of Terone & Ronnie Johnson and they shot 31.8%.

For the season Purdue shot 32.6% from 3 this year. Grant Hill talked about it during the Big Ten Tournament the number of wide open 3's that Purdue missed was stunning. At the end of last night's game Edey was more less guarded by 4 guys and FDU dared Purdue to make a 3. Purdue led the nation in shot quality this year, but never capitalized on it

The play from last night's game that stood out the most is this one:

There are a lot of questions Painter needs to find answers to this offseason, but the most glaring is what caused the lack of confidence & shooting woes?

What caused Morton to go from shooting 44.1% from 3 last year to 27.7% this year?
Furst had a similar decline going from 42.3% to 26.8%?

In Purdue's last five tournament upsets (to 11 seed VCU, 12 seed Little Rock, 13 seed North Texas, 15 seed Saint Peter’s, 16 seed Fairleigh Dickinson) Purdue has shot 27.7 from 3. Going into those losses the combined season average was 36.3%. If it happened once it would be easy to dismiss as a fluke but 5 times is more than a trend, what causes Painter's teams to play so tight in big moments?

The results of Big Man U have been impressive during the regular season, but a disaster in the tournament. Purdues only deep run was when guards carried the scoring load.

If you are going to continue to play through the post you have to be able to make open shots. But you also have to defend teams that play with smaller linueps. All of Purdue's tournament collapses have come from teams that play small. At what point does Painter look for other defensive options that allows him to keep his big on the floor while not getting exposed on the perimiter? It might not be necessary against the size in the big ten, but it's proven to be necessary in the tournament.

It's hard to label this season anything but a success. This loss stings, but not nearly as bad as the Virginia one in the Elite 8 and with the shooting issues of this year's team I didn't see them getting out of the Sweet Sixteen. I hope the loss didn't cost Edey NPOY honors. If he comes back great, but either way Painter has some work to do this offseason.

F this nonsense. All we had to do was throw it to Zach until they all fouled out. Instead we shot a bunch of 3s. Minimal cuts. Minimal drives. FDU wasn't athletic. They're short and shit. We played right into their hands by playing slow as hell, low possession, and bailing out their awful defense by creeping up the floor like scared kittens. IDC if Zach has 4 6'5" guys on him. Go at them. Dive with Gillis and Furst. Should have been run down the floor as fast as possible and lob to Zach, quick shot or pass, crash the boards. We didn't need to even be shooting 3s unless on an O rebound.

F this nonsense. All we had to do was throw it to Zach until they all fouled out. Instead we shot a bunch of 3s. Minimal cuts. Minimal drives. FDU wasn't athletic. They're short and shit. We played right into their hands by playing slow as hell, low possession, and bailing out their awful defense by creeping up the floor like scared kittens. IDC if Zach has 4 6'5" guys on him. Go at them. Dive with Gillis and Furst. Should have been run down the floor as fast as possible and lob to Zach, quick shot or pass, crash the boards. We didn't need to even be shooting 3s unless on an O rebound.

You can’t drive when Zach + 4 defenders are clogging the paint.

Cuts should have been there though when Zach got the ball. Part of the problem was that he wasn’t getting the ball cleanly. He was turning it over.

Also I think Zach didn’t make a shot that wasn’t a dunk. Missed like his first 4 hook shots that he always makes.

So Zach wasn’t really “on” either. Was that due to fouling, reffing, or just being in his head, I don’t know.

You can’t drive when Zach + 4 defenders are clogging the paint.

Cuts should have been there though when Zach got the ball. Part of the problem was that he wasn’t getting the ball cleanly. He was turning it over.

Also I think Zach didn’t make a shot that wasn’t a dunk. Missed like his first 4 hook shots that he always makes.

So Zach wasn’t really “on” either. Was that due to fouling, reffing, or just being in his head, I don’t know.
There weren't 4 defenders when we were pushing. Only when we inched it up.

I don't agree with going to Zach when he had four guys on him, but the pace of the game was terrible. Purdue allowed FDU to setup their defense nearly the whole game. Against token full court pressure Purdue was using 8 seconds to get the ball over half court.

Reactions: Gesysp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT