ADVERTISEMENT

Where do you see Purdue finishing up?

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
2-0 right now, how do you see the rest of the season go?

NW: w
MINN: w
RUT: w
NEB: w
IU: ?
B10 T: ?
Bowl: ?

I think we lose 2 which puts us 2nd in the BIG West. I don’t have the confidence to say which 2 we lose because they’re all there for the taking but I don’t think we get all of them. We need tighter coverage with a more consistent pass rush and I still don’t think O’Connel is the right guy for the job even if he is the best QB on our roster. If he’s the best we have then we don’t have our guy yet

Really hard to predict. We don't even know for sure which of these games will be played, much less what players will be missing from each team. I'd say Northwestern and IU are both solid opponents and for the others it depends which team shows up. With this amount of parity it is impossible to project weekly W's and L's, so I'll take a probabilistic approach.

Northwestern: 40% win
Minnesota: 60% win
Rutgers: 75% win
Nebraska: 60% win
Indiana: 50% win

These are higher numbers than results so far and FPI would predict, but that is justified by several factors: (1) getting Doerue and possibly Moore back (2) young team should continue to improve (3) Brohm's teams have finished fairly strong (4) defense getting more comfortable in Diaco's system

That would put the final record at about 5-2 or 4-3, probably 2nd or 3rd in the West, depending on what happens with Wisconsin. Outside shot at a West title if some other things fall into place, maybe a tie breaker situation like 2000. Regardless, we should be in the race for awhile, which will be fun and refreshing.

At this point it is impossible to say who the cross-divisional opponent would be, but that would probably be another 50/50 game. That's somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-3 before a bowl game.
Coming off 4-8 and coupled with the emergence of several young guys, that looks pretty good to me and sets up next season really well with nearly everyone back.

Reactions: purduepat1969
5-2 looks quite possible barring no COVID cancellations, crazy injuries and Purdue plays like it is capable of we might even sneak a 6-1.

Northwestern will be a dog fight. Least mental mistakes wins. Purdue was sloppy in penalties against Illinois and has to clean it up as NW usually plays with few mistakes.

Minnesota will try ground and pound. This should be a W if we can stop their run.

I cannot believe IU is lucky so far. We'll see if they are for real on 12/12.
Rutgers and Nebraska should be W's, but never overlook any team especially this year.

You take the games one W at a time, and then you're playing for the national championship! That's always been my hope, and we're still part way there this year.

5-2 looks quite possible barring no COVID cancellations, crazy injuries and Purdue plays like it is capable of we might even sneak a 6-1.

Northwestern will be a dog fight. Least mental mistakes wins. Purdue was sloppy in penalties against Illinois and has to clean it up as NW usually plays with few mistakes.

Minnesota will try ground and pound. This should be a W if we can stop their run.

I cannot believe IU is lucky so far. We'll see if they are for real on 12/12.
Rutgers and Nebraska should be W's, but never overlook any team especially this year.

I think Northwestern will come down to 2 things:
1) Can Purdue make enough big plays offensively?
2) Can Purdue limit mistakes and turnovers in the red zone?

Northwestern's not gonna put up big points (unless we don't have Karlaftis).

I think Northwestern will come down to 2 things:
1) Can Purdue make enough big plays offensively?
2) Can Purdue limit mistakes and turnovers in the red zone?

Northwestern's not gonna put up big points (unless we don't have Karlaftis).
Concur. Hopefully, Karlaftis and others have or are returning to health and practice this week.
Would love to catch NW sleeping or biting down on run and go over the top on 2-3 long TD's to give us some separation. Might be time for a couple of tricks peppered in this game.

Reactions: pboiler18
Concur. Hopefully, Karlaftis and others have or are returning to health and practice this week.
Would love to catch NW sleeping or biting down on run and go over the top on 2-3 long TD's to give us some separation. Might be time for a couple of tricks peppered in this game.
I hold out hope here too, seeing as we actually now have a competent run game for people to dedicate more than 6 in the box to try and stop.

Couple that with 3-4 guys who can go and get it anywhere on the field....I like our chances for a few more big plays this week.

Realistically 4-3. If we took care of business against Illinois better I would feel better about the season outlook. I think realistically the rest of this season is full of coin flips, we might lose a game we should win or win a game we should lose. We might get hot and win more as well, but after Illinois I feel good but not great about us.

Sorry, but you can't count. For that I'd rather lose a game to anyone else but I.U.
Pound the Loosiers.
Hold on let’s take a look at this. If we were to finish eight and one, and only lose to IU, that would mean we would most likely be the Big Ten champs and win our bowl game. This is because we would have beaten all other west teams and finished 6-1 regular season and most likely west champions. To go 8-1, we would have to win the championship game and a prominent bowl. No playoff after losing to Indiana.

Of course a 6-0 regular season WI team might blow this up but I would take my chances.

I think there is a range based on who we get back:

Karlaftis
Moore
Doerue
Craig

If we get none of these guys back, I could see as low as 3-4

If we get all of them back, I could see as high as 7-0.

I'm betting we will get 1-2 of them back for a substandive period and that it's likely 4-3/5-2

We are gonna play a good team on Saturday and if they come out and play like a good team, I think there is going to be an "oh" moment on this forum.

Realistically 4-3. If we took care of business against Illinois better I would feel better about the season outlook. I think realistically the rest of this season is full of coin flips, we might lose a game we should win or win a game we should lose. We might get hot and win more as well, but after Illinois I feel good but not great about us.
that is a fair take and I agree. I am happy to feel like we can complete with everyone right now and that feels pretty good. I however am a glass half full guy and will say we fo 3-2 in the coin flip games to finish 5-2!!!!! Boiler Up!

Reactions: JTH1411
that is a fair take and I agree. I am happy to feel like we can complete with everyone right now and that feels pretty good. I however am a glass half full guy and will say we fo 3-2 in the coin flip games to finish 5-2!!!!! Boiler Up!
Assuming every game left gets played, I'd guess 6-1 or 5-2. Pre-season, I think I said PU could reasonably land anywhere between 2-6 & 6-2 depending on which team showed up. The Iowa win surprised me. Illinois less so since last year's weather and the dropsies were aberrations. Losing the Wiscy game removed a projected loss, but by no means a sure thing.

It's one game at a time, but I think Purdue has a 50/50 shot at showing up to Bloomington undefeated and playing in Indy the following week.

Good luck & good health with Northwestern.

Reactions: Beorik
Assuming every game left gets played, I'd guess 6-1 or 5-2. Pre-season, I think I said PU could reasonably land anywhere between 2-6 & 6-2 depending on which team showed up. The Iowa win surprised me. Illinois less so since last year's weather and the dropsies were aberrations. Losing the Wiscy game removed a projected loss, but by no means a sure thing.

It's one game at a time, but I think Purdue has a 50/50 shot at showing up to Bloomington undefeated and playing in Indy the following week.

That would be pretty awesome!

Honestly looking at how the B1G season has shaken out so far, pretty decent chance that there are 2 Bucket games this year.

Reactions: Beorik
I believe 5-2. Judging from the above, that seems the consensus. however, I'm going to go against the crowd and say the two losses will be against Minnesota and Nebraska. I realize looking at their record,, Nebraska seems like an easy game. but in their losses, they have basically beaten themselves. if they stopped making stupid mistakes, they could actually win a few games and pull off a couple of upsets. and somewhere along the road, i expect Purdue will suffer at least one upset.

people keep talking about Minnesota running the ball. but they do have a couple of outstanding receivers. and their QB shredded us last year.

Purdue should beat Rutgers and Northwestern. And they will beat IU no matter what their rating or record will be.

how can i not count? 7 big ten games, 1 big ten championship weekend game and one bowl game. Doesnt that = 9 games? 7+1+1=9
Did not assume a bowl game on my side of the equation as only BCS games are topic of discussions. I’ve not heard any discussions about lower tier bowls this crazy year. 7 games total after Wisconsin cancellation +1 with equal B1G East crossover = 8.
With COVID crap in full swing and no attendance, I’d be surprised about any non BCS bowls being played.

Did not assume a bowl game on my side of the equation as only BCS games are topic of discussions. I’ve not heard any discussions about lower tier bowls this crazy year. 7 games total after Wisconsin cancellation +1 with equal B1G East crossover = 8.
With COVID crap in full swing and no attendance, I’d be surprised about any non BCS bowls being played.
There are 37 bowl games scheduled.

2020-21 Bowl Game Schedule: LINK

Who in the East has that? OSU and Maryland... and that's it.
How many in the conference have a winning record period? The Division W-L are almost identical.
B1G East -- ** Fun Fact, IU's opponents so far have a better overall W-L than OSU's (2-7 vs. 1-8)**
IU & OSU at 3-0
Maryland at 2-1
Rutgers, MSU, & UM at 1-2
PSU at 0-3

B1G West -- **With Wisconsin missing the Neb. & PU games, there are two losses in the West that are unaccounted for. Most likely Nebraska would be 0-3 and one of Wiscy & PU would be 3-0, the other 2-1**
NW at 3-0
PU at 2-0
Wiscy at 1-0
Iowa & Minny at 1-2
Neb. at 0-2
Illinois at 0-3

But switching gears back to the Bowl Games, I'd be surprised if the State of Indiana stays open until the OOB game. It'll be close, but if the hospitalization numbers double again in the next month like they have in the last month, that's gonna be a wrap on the season.

The BIG already said that will not happen. No repeats.
I thought I had read that there would be an exception to that goal for the championship game itself? That might have just been scuttlebutt and not something official, so I could be wrong.

Not that I'm terribly optimistic that we're going to run into it as an issue in real life.

There are 37 bowl games scheduled.

2020-21 Bowl Game Schedule: LINK
Thanks for the link. I'll be surprised if most of those bowls get played.
With the US in herd immunity and cancellations, I'm not as optimistic as I was in early October.
SEC cancels 3 games this weekend, and now there are hints at a bubble for CFP...just talk at this point.

Thanks for the link. I'll be surprised if most of those bowls get played.
With the US in herd immunity and cancellations, I'm not as optimistic as I was in early October.
SEC cancels 3 games this weekend, and now there are hints at a bubble for CFP...just talk at this point.
not saying they'll be played. That's a recent list from the NCAA. 37 bowl games.

Honestly looking at how the B1G season has shaken out so far, pretty decent chance that there are 2 Bucket games this year.
You bring up an interesting point. If IU and Purdue do play each other in championship week, would the Bucket be on the line? I don't know if there are any guidelines on post season matchups. We'd certainly be breaking new ground.

Reactions: TMFT
You bring up an interesting point. If IU and Purdue do play each other in championship week, would the Bucket be on the line? I don't know if there are any guidelines on post season matchups. We'd certainly be breaking new ground.

No

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT