ADVERTISEMENT

Whatever happened to

Fine. There are lots of other examples of guys who didn’t have P5 scholarship offers right out of high school, who went on to great college careers and/or the NFL.

But that's the one that you used and others have used repeatedly and it's a false analogy.

Look, if this guy chooses to come to Purdue(and it should be as a walk-on) and is a good student/athlete I would support him, just as I have stated MANY times. And just as i do for the other Purdue student/athletes across multiple sports.

Why not do what Horvath did, and others are currently doing, and walk on and attempt to earn a scholarship?

But that's the one that you used and others have used repeatedly and it's a false analogy.

Look, if this guy chooses to come to Purdue(and it should be as a walk-on) and is a good student/athlete I would support him, just as I have stated MANY times. And just as i do for the other Purdue student/athletes across multiple sports.

Why not do what Horvath did, and others are currently doing, and walk on and attempt to earn a scholarship?
Point is that a lack of P5 offers out of high school is not necessarily an indication of a player’s talent.

Point is that a lack of P5 offers out of high school is not necessarily an indication of a player’s talent.

I cannot remember anyone ever making that claim that the lack of P5 offers means a kid isn't talented. (In fact, it's been quite the opposite!)

It is, however, worth noting: such a lack of P5 offers ... especially for someone SO well known and SO accomplished and SO hyped ... that should be a very good reason to take pause, especially for those hyping the kid so much.

And I drive by their $1.6 million estate every day...
As a Realtor, I was very fortunate to be involved in the transaction when they bought their New Palestine area home. They are a very humble, down to earth, special Family. Also, as a New Pal grad, I've been to most of their games the past two years.
And they continue to amaze me by how well conditioned they are as they wear down their opponents by the second half even schools like Center Grove and Cathedral whose athletes play one way where six of New Pal's kids play both ways. As you've said, Charlie has a very quick initial burst which, with his strength , helps him break through that first line of defense. And, although I can't attest to what his top end speed is he has run for many long touchdowns while putting more distance between him and his closest defenders. Lastly, his most impressive run to me this year was his 64 yard touchdown run against Cathedral last week in the 4th quarter where he ran away from all the Cathedral defenders. Anyone can google that play and decide for yourselves.
And I drive by their $1.6 million estate every day...

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
I cannot remember anyone ever making that claim that the lack of P5 offers means a kid isn't talented. (In fact, it's been quite the opposite!)

It is, however, worth noting: such a lack of P5 offers ... especially for someone SO well known and SO accomplished and SO hyped ... that should be a very good reason to take pause, especially for those hyping the kid so much.
That has been the main argument of someone else in this thread.

It’s a sign he’s not P5 talent. Didn’t say “ not talented at all”. Did say, not P5 talent. I imagine these coaches who earn millions a year want to keep earning millions a year and they don’t do that by giving one of 85 precious scholarships to those that can continue their careers at a smaller school.

that he's NOT talented?

Or, that the lack of P5 offers should be a clue to you (and others) to pump the brakes on the PR machine...
Nope. Just pushing back against the lazy “too slow”, “too old”, and “poor competition” knocks.

Nope. Just pushing back against the lazy “too slow”, “too old”, and “poor competition” knocks.

So it's "lazy" to point out that the guy is 1.5 to 2 years older than other seniors? Most high school seniors turn 18 after the football season. Most sophomores turn 16 and juniors turn 17 in the same time frame. That means he's competing with kids that are likely between 3.5 and 1.5 years younger than him, with a corresponding advantage in growth and development time. Acknowledging that isn't "lazy", it's a fact.

Feast eyes at the 1:20 mark for moving the pile and at 1:30 see his 64 yard scamper where no Cathedral player can close on him.
Do not pump the brakes, full throttle balls to the wall. P5 Quality baby!
Good night.

Last edited:
you're making this too hard.

the points are clear, and you want to argue the minutiae.

Are there NAIA players that become NFL players? well, yeah.

Is that the norm? well, duh... no.

Can you find exceptions? well, yeah. Those are ... "exceptions."

You're trying too hard to argue. Right now CS faces a MOUNTAIN to meet the expectations you're creating. Everyone knows what he CAN do. You keep arguing the insanely obvious: there are Cinderella stories of players who meet your mental storybook ending for Charlie Spegal. We all know it happens. It's abundantly obvious.

It's not "lazy" to recognize there are NUMEROUS experts in this field who don't see what you dream of for Charlie.

You can have your fantasies, and that's fine. The longer this goes, the more you reach for the "lazy" insults for people who just don't see the wild, grandiose future you picture for a kid who's been scouted by the world's finest... and still don't see what you want them to see.

CAN he? Yes. We get that.

Now, it's up to HIM to live up to your lofty expectations.

Reactions: BlkGoldHoops

You're trying too hard to argue. Right now CS faces a MOUNTAIN to meet the expectations you're creating. Everyone knows what he CAN do. You keep arguing the insanely obvious: there are Cinderella stories of players who meet your mental storybook ending for Charlie Spegal. We all know it happens. It's abundantly obvious.

It's not "lazy" to recognize there are NUMEROUS experts in this field who don't see what you dream of for Charlie.

You can have your fantasies, and that's fine. The longer this goes, the more you reach for the "lazy" insults for people who just don't see the wild, grandiose future you picture for a kid who's been scouted by the world's finest... and still don't see what you want them to see.

Bottom line, CS deserved a scholarship from Purdue as recruiting strategy from CJB’s mouth was we’ll target talent within the state and a 3 hr radius. This was when he first came to Purdue. Most of you believe New Pal and I are delusional and that is fine...so be it.
CS didn’t have a one and done season last year. He repeated this year & he has both Strength and Quickness to hit the hole and go North and South which gets the yards.
Recruiting for 2020 is almost over, but there is still an opportunity for CS to land a scholarship somewhere. I wanted Purdue to get him. It won’t happen so fine...another non cadet school will line up. I believe Purdue85 indicated what is that something factor that kept him off the recruiting boards? I wish we all knew, but we don’t and we move on.

What are you talking about? Never said Purdue should offer him. Or anyone else for that matter.

So it's "lazy" to point out that the guy is 1.5 to 2 years older than other seniors? Most high school seniors turn 18 after the football season. Most sophomores turn 16 and juniors turn 17 in the same time frame. That means he's competing with kids that are likely between 3.5 and 1.5 years younger than him, with a corresponding advantage in growth and development time. Acknowledging that isn't "lazy", it's a fact.
And yet, he dominated other 17 year olds when he was 17.

And yet, he dominated other 17 year olds when he was 17.

Against that Delta schedule - gee. He's older than every member of the current group of Purdue's scholarship freshmen, most by over a year and in a few cases nearly or over 2 years. Thus, he's likely very close to or maxed out on growth and development, especially compared to the typical high school senior. That could be just one reason why coaches aren't flocking to his door.

Against that Delta schedule - gee. He's older than every member of the current group of Purdue's scholarship freshmen, most by over a year and in a few cases nearly or over 2 years. Thus, he's likely very close to or maxed out on growth and development, especially compared to the typical high school senior. That could be just one reason why coaches aren't flocking to his door.
Ah, yes the competition knock. Right on cue.

Feast eyes at the 1:20 mark for moving the pile and at 1:30 see his 64 yard scamper where no Cathedral player can close on him.
Do not pump the brakes, full throttle balls to the wall. P5 Quality baby!
Good night.
Yawn. It’s the equivalent of a 19 year old Rondale playing against High School kids, many who will never ever play again. Like I pointed out, Spegal is older than some of our RS Freshman. Just looking at the Alphabetical Roster bios, Payne Durham is still 18, been here 2 seasons, and catching TDS in Big 10 games. Bet he would do alright against Cathedral. As would Rondale and David Bell.

Last edited:
Reactions: jindy
And 18 year olds.

Yeah, probably a few. For reference, only 6 of the 25 current Purdue scholarship freshmen were 18 or turned 18 years old right before or during their senior high school season. The vast majority were thus 17, as I said in an earlier post. I'd hope you would agree that the extra 1.5 to 2 years of growth, development and weight training would make a big difference in performance, especially at the high school level.

Yeah, probably a few. For reference, only 6 of the 25 current Purdue scholarship freshmen were 18 or turned 18 years old right before or during their senior high school season. The vast majority were thus 17, as I said in an earlier post. I'd hope you would agree that the extra 1.5 to 2 years of growth, development and weight training would make a big difference in performance, especially at the high school level.
That doesn’t explain his dominating kids the same age or older.

Ah, yes the competition knock. Right on cue.

C'mon. You're not actually going to claim that Delta plays a good schedule are you? At least New Palestine has a regular season game against Center Grove, and does play a couple of good teams in the 4A playoffs. Not so for Delta.

Bottom line, CS deserved a scholarship from Purdue as recruiting strategy from CJB’s mouth was we’ll target talent within the state and a 3 hr radius. This was when he first came to Purdue. Most of you believe New Pal and I are delusional and that is fine...so be it.
CS didn’t have a one and done season last year. He repeated this year & he has both Strength and Quickness to hit the hole and go North and South which gets the yards.
Recruiting for 2020 is almost over, but there is still an opportunity for CS to land a scholarship somewhere. I wanted Purdue to get him. It won’t happen so fine...another non cadet school will line up. I believe Purdue85 indicated what is that something factor that kept him off the recruiting boards? I wish we all knew, but we don’t and we move on.
yes Brohm did say he would target in state talent but that talent has to be Power 5 ability. CS isn’t. I know you want your son or nephew or whatever to play Big Boy football, but at this point in time, he’s reached his ceiling and it’s small ball time for him. I think he may even set some D3 records that stand for a long time.

Reactions: jindy
C'mon. You're not actually going to claim that Delta plays a good schedule are you? At least New Palestine has a regular season game against Center Grove, and does play a couple of good teams in the 4A playoffs. Not so for Delta.
Which was one of the reasons he moved to New Pal. But now it’s his age. Or 40 time. Or height. Or...

That doesn’t explain his dominating kids the same age or older.

Just the point - at Delta he played some kids who were older, but the teams they played were not made up entirely of seniors. At New Palestine as a junior he MAY have played against a few kids(VERY few) who were older. As a senior it's probable he's not playing against kids his age(and definitely NOT older) and IS playing against some kids who are 3.5 to 4 years younger(15 year old sophomores).

Just the point - at Delta he played some kids who were older, but the teams they played were not made up entirely of seniors. At New Palestine as a junior he MAY have played against a few kids(VERY few) who were older. As a senior it's probable he's not playing against kids his age(and definitely NOT older) and IS playing against some kids who are 3.5 to 4 years younger(15 year old sophomores).
What’s your point?

What’s your point?
Here’s my point. You have a vested interest in getting this board to admit this kid is P5 worthy. I dont know why. You laugh it off and say you are just trying to correct our laziness and narrative , but it’s more than that. I know it. You know it. Do we all cheer for underdogs? Sure. I have before. But I don’t do it so personally and with such fervor as you do . You have a vested interest. It goes far beyond, “ just rooting for the underdog”. Do you really think that if every single poster on Here AGREED with you, that Brohm and staff would read this, give a shit, and think “ oh my God, we have to get this kid!” ? Let’s do an experiment......

Coach Brohm, Spegal is awesome! Better than anyone on our roster or anyone you are recruiting. Probably the best back in the nation. Please get him before Dabo , Kirby or Saban does. We all agree on this. .......There, lets see if it works.

Maybe. Wouldn't you agree that being 1.5 to 3.5 years older than the vast majority of his opponents is a big advantage?
Doesn’t explain dominating when he was 16 and 17. Or dominating schools twice New Pal’s size.

Here’s my point. You have a vested interest in getting this board to admit this kid is P5 worthy. I dont know why. You laugh it off and say you are just trying to correct our laziness and narrative , but it’s more than that. I know it. You know it. Do we all cheer for underdogs? Sure. I have before. But I don’t do it so personally and with such fervor as you do . You have a vested interest. It goes far beyond, “ just rooting for the underdog”. Do you really think that if every single poster on Here AGREED with you, that Brohm and staff would read this, give a shit, and think “ oh my God, we have to get this kid!” ? Let’s do an experiment......

Coach Brohm, Spegal is awesome! Better than anyone on our roster or anyone you are recruiting. Probably the best back in the nation. Please get him before Dabo , Kirby or Saban does. We all agree on this. .......There, lets see if it works.
LOL.

Doesn’t explain dominating when he was 16 and 17. Or dominating schools twice New Pal’s size.

Yeah, he's a good high school back. The vast majority of his opponents' schools aren't twice the size of New Palestine and I'd bet very few(possibly none) have 19 year olds playing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT