ADVERTISEMENT

Whatever happened to

Ah, yes the competition knock. Right on cue.

I owe you one correction. There are 3 guys(of the 25) in Purdue's current freshmen class who are older than your guy is now. Just want to make sure I don't mislead you or anyone else.

Also, having looked at your posts in other threads I'd imagine that we actually would get along pretty well. I try to understand your points, and hope that you can try the same for mine.

I owe you one correction. There are 3 guys(of the 25) in Purdue's current freshmen class who are older than your guy is now. Just want to make sure I don't mislead you or anyone else.

Also, having looked at your posts in other threads I'd imagine that we actually would get along pretty well. I try to understand your points, and hope that you can try the same for mine.
Is this the softer side of Jindy turning a new leaf? LOL
We're all probably a little too close to the CS subject to be as objective as possible and to this season's performance. The lines between us are close. I.E. Mason-Dixon line close. LOL
Have a good weekend. Go Purdue...try to win and at least be competitive as possible.

Is this the softer side of Jindy turning a new leaf? LOL
We're all probably a little too close to the CS subject to be as objective as possible and to this season's performance. The lines between us are close. I.E. Mason-Dixon line close. LOL
Have a good weekend. Go Purdue...try to win and at least be competitive as possible.

Just want to be accurate. Doesn't mean I agree with you (and others) in this case, but probably would in many others. Guess that's the Mason-Dixon thing, huh.

And I do agree wholeheartedly - GO PURDUE!!

Does in other player in the history of rivals.com have more posts about him than Spegal?

Looks like Aiden Atkinson (Northwestern QB recruit from Colorado) is going to catch up and pass anyone and everyone. Appears to have a bit of(self created) trouble on his hands.

So he will be damn near 20 entering freshman year in college. No wonder he is dominating. I just looked at a few birthdays on our roster and he is older than some of our redshirt freshman. I looked in alphabetical order in our redshirt freshman on the roster and Payne Durham has played 2 seasons for us and isn’t 19 yet.

So he will be damn near 20 entering freshman year in college. No wonder he is dominating. I just looked at a few birthdays on our roster and he is older than some of our redshirt freshman. I looked in alphabetical order in our redshirt freshman on the roster and Payne Durham has played 2 seasons for us and isn’t 19 yet.
So, are there age limits restrictions for playing college ball? When I was in Purdue I became friends with a fellow who was 25 years old as a freshman and was on the GI Bill. Purdue had a freshman basketball team at the time and he tried out and made the freshman team. I think he got married and didn't pursue an athletic career at Purdue although I think he was eligible if he had wanted to. We played pickup ball games with some of the varsity players and he easily held his own. So I am asking, would age be a reason for a college to not pursue a good athlete. When New Pal keeps blowing away teams in the playoffs and Charlie Spegal has a huge hand in it, I keep thinking Mike Alstott.

For those following along at home, the RB not to be named tallied 277 yards and 4 Touchdowns in a 45-0 beat down of Bloomington South for the semistate championship.

So, are there age limits restrictions for playing college ball? When I was in Purdue I became friends with a fellow who was 25 years old as a freshman and was on the GI Bill. Purdue had a freshman basketball team at the time and he tried out and made the freshman team. I think he got married and didn't pursue an athletic career at Purdue although I think he was eligible if he had wanted to. We played pickup ball games with some of the varsity players and he easily held his own. So I am asking, would age be a reason for a college to not pursue a good athlete. When New Pal keeps blowing away teams in the playoffs and Charlie Spegal has a huge hand in it, I keep thinking Mike Alstott.

No.

They just begin using up eligibility when they hit full-time student status.

the star RB- think his name was Spegal. Have not heard anything about him in weeks. I was told that it was gonna be all over this board when he finally got a P5 scholarship offer so I can only assume that it has not happened.
Spegal committed to Play for IU.

Good for Charlie. My gut feeling is Brohm & Staff will have regrets. If he runs all over us, I’ll be pissed as Brohm’s recruiting strategy was to get the top players in the state of Indiana. Gatorade Player of the Year qualifies as top players in my book. If he also gets Indiana Mr Football, that gives the wrong message to coaches that we don’t push to retain them.
Mike Hart “ex RB from Michigan whom ran all over us”, knew how to close the deal.

Good for Charlie. My gut feeling is Brohm & Staff will have regrets. If he runs all over us, I’ll be pissed as Brohm’s recruiting strategy was to get the top players in the state of Indiana. Gatorade Player of the Year qualifies as top players in my book. If he also gets Indiana Mr Football, that gives the wrong message to coaches that we don’t push to retain them.
Mike Hart “ex RB from Michigan whom ran all over us”, knew how to close the deal.
Karlaftis, bell, etc. I don't think not offering a walkon caliber player sends any sort of negative message to indiana HS coaches.

Reactions: jindy and Purdue85
Kenny Tracy was the highest rated RB in Indiana this year... if we wanted the best RB in Indiana we probably would have offered him.

Reactions: jindy
I was wrong. Eat my crow as it seems that he is a PWO.
Will be interesting as they got Sampson and Spegal among other RB’s. While we had a stable of injured backs. Doerue did emerge and got better. Will be equally interesting to see if Tirek Murphy does well in his 4+ year run.

Last edited:
I was wrong

Very.
Now, how about an apology or at least acknowledgement that basically accused some of us of racism("only believe black dudes can carry the ball")? And for the BS, subtly racist claim that recruiting services rated Murphy highly because he came from an underprivileged background? Both claims on first page of this thread.

Glad spegal found a home.

We have Murphy and Doerue- they have Scott, James, Spegal. Both solid but IU has better depth at RB. I’d take our receivers over theirs 100x out of 100x tho

We have Murphy and Doerue- they have Scott, James, Spegal. Both solid but IU has better depth at RB. I’d take our receivers over theirs 100x out of 100x tho

And Purdue also has Hewitt and Horvath - who seemed to have a pretty good game recently. Wouldn't say their depth is better than Purdue's, especially as their top back seems relatively injury prone.

And Purdue also has Hewitt and Horvath - who seemed to have a pretty good game recently. Wouldn't say their depth is better than Purdue's, especially as their top back seems relatively injury prone.

Without having ever seen Murphy on tape or in person I would give the edge to IU’s RB stable but that of course could change after I see him.

Very.
Now, how about an apology or at least acknowledgement that basically accused some of us of racism("only believe black dudes can carry the ball")? And for the BS, subtly racist claim that recruiting services rated Murphy highly because he came from an underprivileged background? Both claims on first page of this thread.

Glad spegal found a home.
No apology as I believe unless your name is Christian Mccaffery, most everyone including recruiting services stereotype that Anglo Saxon guys are second tier at RB. That isn’t racist, that is reality.
I’m won’t apologize, but I’ll acknowledge I said it.
Look over most every NFL team, majority of Div I colleges, and that is the recruiting template.
Ozzie Guillen may have been a jerk and not politically correct regarding his Latino statements about their people do the hard outdoor work. Was he wrong?
Did a cursory look over every Big Ten team. All starting RB’s are African Americans. Am I wrong on that recruiting template?

Last edited:
No apology as I believe unless your name is Christian Mccaffery, most everyone including recruiting services stereotype that white guys are second tier at RB. That isn’t racist, that is reality. Look over most every NFL team, majority of Div I colleges, and that is the recruiting template.
Ozzie Guillen may have been a jerk and not politically correct regarding his Latino statements about their people do the hard outdoor work. Was he wrong?

BS, lame excuse. The words came out of YOUR mind, no one else.

Even worse, still no excuse(let alone apology) for YOUR OWN WORDS - that some of us "only believe that black dudes can carry the rock ".

Again, both of those stupid and racially incorrect quotes are on page one of this thread, if you need to refresh your memory.

You can Kiss my ass for that comment. There are too many Aidon O’Connell type players that barely get noticed and you, Jindy and others think only black dudes can carry the rock. Think again! By your standards, Mike Alstott at 4.7 sec 40 would have been a shitty player.

Here are your words

BS, lame excuse. The words came out of YOUR mind, no one else.

Even worse, still no excuse(let alone apology) for YOUR OWN WORDS - that some of us "only believe that black dudes can carry the rock ".

Again, both of those stupid and racially incorrect quotes are on page one of this thread, if you need to refresh your memory.
I’m still not sorry. The only part I’m sorry about is you can’t accept that reality. That is your problem not mine.

Thanks for clarification. It must have been the detail where I saw WISCONSIN has interest in him at RB. I understand Purdue wants a out of state kid rated by some rating service that gives stars to a NY kid that had a challenging upbringing. Good for us.
Honest yet hypothetical question at this point: If IU or other Big Ten gives him a scholarship and Charlie pounds it up our backside, how happy will you be?

You and I both know the young man has the strength, mental toughness, grades and most of all performance at RB that can do this for another P5 school. Everyone says PWO, I think there will be a school that takes that chance based on input from his head coach Kyle Ralph. Once they win their next state championship and other coaches are watching, something will happen for Charlie.

BTW, I will clarify, I'm not related to the young man nor am I from New Palestine area. I just know that he is being grossly overlooked just like Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers as mentioned previously. The numbers of high school players to college players is likely 1000 to 1. I think Charlie is that gem. You do not. We'll just agree to disagree.

The other one.

I’m still not sorry. The only part I’m sorry about is you can’t accept that reality. That is your problem not mine.

Geez you are a small, bitter little person. At least you begrudgingly admitted you were wrong about the P5 offers.

Way to use The Constitution to cloak your racist views. You were wrong - you are sorry, as in a sorry person. See ya
Glad you can claim victory. You are just as much if not more a loser for trying so damn hard to be the politically correct police. Good riddance.

Last edited:
I was wrong. Eat my crow as it seems that he is a PWO.
Will be interesting as they got Sampson and Spegal among other RB’s. While we had a stable of injured backs. Doerue did emerge and got better. Will be equally interesting to see if Tirek Murphy does well in his 4+ year run.
Giving up so soon?? Surely, Brohm can flip him with a scholarship offer. The CS to Purdue grass roots recruiting campaign needs your message board posts more than ever.

Strange way for a Purdue fan to view the RB situation. We have much more than Murphy and Doerue ahead of Spegal.

Doerue: 3*, #36 RB in his class, 599 total yds, 7 TD in 2019

Horvath: 519 total yds, 3 TD in 2019

Hewitt: 3*, #87 RB in his class

Murphy: 4*, #21 RB in his class

Reactions: jindy
Giving up so soon?? Surely, Brohm can flip him with a scholarship offer. The CS to Purdue grass roots recruiting campaign needs your message board posts more than ever.
Look, I love Purdue. I'd like to have Indiana's Gatorade player of the year and likely Indiana Mr. Football on our team vs. IU. There is nothing wrong with that logic. They will use those titles against us in recruiting classes saying to coaches and players that Purdue doesn't value that type of player.
Say all the trash you want, I can return serve. Good day to you.

Karlaftis, bell, etc. I don't think not offering a walkon caliber player sends any sort of negative message to indiana HS coaches.

Absolutely correct - coaches in Indiana (and elsewhere) don't care about awards relative to offers(except possibly the coach of the players who get those awards). I know quite a few coaches in indiana in various sports and they have a good handle on who is likely upper, mid or low level prospects on their own teams and around the state. This is true whether in football, basketball, baseball, volleyball or any other competitive sport. To claim that not offering someone based only on an award or title will change these coaches' views of Purdue recruiting is naive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT