ADVERTISEMENT

We Have A Reclamation Project Houston

daveK-RELOADED

True Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 22, 2014
Thanks to some very good number counting here by this staff of Boiler Upload, I was shocked to see 2 recruiting classes gutted by the Portal. Now throw in injuries and underperforming, this coaching staff isn’t anywhere close to playing with a decent hand. I think this coaching staff can recruit well and will recruit well. My only criticism is that need to stay away from damaged goods. We’ll see how this plays out but I can’t see any more than one or two more wins.

Reactions: z_one
Thanks to some very good number counting here by this staff of Boiler Upload, I was shocked to see 2 recruiting classes gutted by the Portal. Now throw in injuries and underperforming, this coaching staff isn’t anywhere close to playing with a decent hand. I think this coaching staff can recruit well and will recruit well. My only criticism is that need to stay away from damaged goods. We’ll see how this plays out but I can’t see any more than one or two more wins.
I would agree with much of what you posted. I think we have a chance of 2 to 3 more wins but the ball needs to bounce our way to do it.

Yup. A reclamation project of an 8 win Big Ten west champ! What are we reclaiming? The bottom of the standings? P5 football futility?

Yup. A reclamation project of an 8 win Big Ten west champ! What are we reclaiming? The bottom of the standings? P5 football futility?
If this were the same team as last year's you would be right on. However, it's not. That train left with Brohm as did a bunch of players. We have no choice but to let this play out. Let's hope it ends up better than it started.

Many knew this was going to be a tough season, the line on both sides is well below par, either it gets better next year or doesn’t, improvement will be based on that.

Reactions: krf3632 and z_one
If this were the same team as last year's you would be right on. However, it's not. That train left with Brohm as did a bunch of players. We have no choice but to let this play out. Let's hope it ends up better than it started.
I think this is patently BS. Same RBs. Good TEs. A line returning 3 starters and 5 contributors overall. 4 WRs on the roster with experience.

A lot of players didn’t leave with Brohm. He took 2 recruits. There were 3 decommits that didn’t follow him. The 2 transfers he did get from us only left after spring ball…not immediately…and only after the new coach told them they would not play and/or be starters. I can’t blame the kids for that.

I think the biggest questions were on the Defense but I do think Walters did well with transfers…he’s just not using the talent he does have correctly. The no talent narrative is BS. All of our transfers have played and been good previously in the BIG or SEC. Blaming the old coach for mis-utilization of the talent we have here is silly.

I think this is patently BS. Same RBs. Good TEs. A line returning 3 starters and 5 contributors overall. 4 WRs on the roster with experience.

A lot of players didn’t leave with Brohm. He took 2 recruits. There were 3 decommits that didn’t follow him. The 2 transfers he did get from us only left after spring ball…not immediately…and only after the new coach told them they would not play and/or be starters. I can’t blame the kids for that.

I think the biggest questions were on the Defense but I do think Walters did well with transfers…he’s just not using the talent he does have correctly. The no talent narrative is BS. All of our transfers have played and been good previously in the BIG or SEC. Blaming the old coach for mis-utilization of the talent we have here is silly.
I think this hits close to the mark. Perhaps a talent issue at cb where we had our top 3 graduate, plus had a transfer in Brown (i think) leave right before the season and I think another get hurt.

I personally believe at least two guys who have been pretty good in the past are just being asked to do stuff they aren’t good at in Allen (can’t cover slot receivers) and Kane (good at run support but coverage from the lb position seems suspect). And both have been solid to good in years past.

Offensively I think we have plenty of talent and our running game has actually surprised me at how good it has been. But the passing game looks terrible at times and I think that comes down to a qb who is not getting rid of the ball on time. Walters even admitted that he probably should have pulled Card in the Iowa game I believe.

Hopefully we will make adjustments and finish the year strong.

Reactions: pboiler18
I think this hits close to the mark. Perhaps a talent issue at cb where we had our top 3 graduate, plus had a transfer in Brown (i think) leave right before the season and I think another get hurt.

I personally believe at least two guys who have been pretty good in the past are just being asked to do stuff they aren’t good at in Allen (can’t cover slot receivers) and Kane (good at run support but coverage from the lb position seems suspect). And both have been solid to good in years past.

Offensively I think we have plenty of talent and our running game has actually surprised me at how good it has been. But the passing game looks terrible at times and I think that comes down to a qb who is not getting rid of the ball on time. Walters even admitted that he probably should have pulled Card in the Iowa game I believe.

Hopefully we will make adjustments and finish the year strong.
This is it. I’m not rooting against the guy but it’s very hard to cheer for him when you misuse the talent you do have.

Asking Jenkins and Scourton to do anything other than out their hands in the dirt and pressure a QB is asinine. Asking guys to man cover like you highlighted who are just unable is nuts. Playing a FS so far off the ball he can’t actually help those corners out is insanity.

That said…I actually think Brown and Wilson ARE good CBs. They rarely threw at Wilson when he was healthy. Brown was OK but not a lockdown guy and he was being asked to be the lockdown guy.

Again…the story of this season isn’t the talent we don’t have…it’s the talent we do not being used properly.

The biggest question was at quarterback. It was going into the year and still is. If Card is injured, who is the backup?

Who, the fourth stringer at Louisville?
I mean the depth charts I have seen lists 2 Srs as 1 and 2 and then “or” between all their other qbs.

But lets just say you are correct and he is their #4. If he was on our roster right now, who wouldn’t be calling to see what he can do. Heck I personally am more than ready to see what Meredith can do.

Reactions: pboiler18
I mean the depth charts I have seen lists 2 Srs as 1 and 2 and then “or” between all their other qbs.

But lets just say you are correct and he is their #4. If he was on our roster right now, who wouldn’t be calling to see what he can do. Heck I personally am more than ready to see what Meredith can do.
A step in the right direction would be a guy who doesn’t fumble or run backwards from pressure. Get rid of it or take a small loss. Don’t run backwards or drop it!

Nailed it!

Nailed it

I think the biggest questions were on the Defense but I do think Walters did well with transfers…he’s just not using the talent he does have correctly. The no talent narrative is BS. All of our transfers have played and been good previously in the BIG or SEC. Blaming the old coach for mis-utilization of the talent we have here is si
7 decommitted when Brohm left. Several others followed him to UL. We ended up with zero starting quarterbacks. To claim Walters had a stable full of talent is total BS. I'm not saying Walters is a good coach because he hasn't shown that he is. However, you saw the foundation of this current team in the Bowl game. If you weren't worried about this year's results after seeing that debacle and what this years schedule was going to be then I just don't get it. Walters would have to be a miracle worker and what he is is a first year coach that hasn't gotten his act together yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: krf3632
7 decommitted when Brohm left. Several others followed him to UL. We ended up with zero starting quarterbacks. To claim Walters had a stable full of talent is total BS. I'm not saying Walters is a good coach because he hasn't shown that he is. However, you saw the foundation of this current team in the Bowl game. If you weren't worried about this year's results after seeing that debacle and what this years schedule was going to be then I just don't get it. Walters would have to be a miracle worker and what he is is a first year coach that hasn't gotten his act together yet.
5 decomitted. 2 went to UL.

You don’t think Brohm would have either started Allen or gotten a QB in the portal? It definitely wouldn’t have been Card.

We apparently got a “good” one. LOL.

No. When I saw the bowl game I didn’t freak out. We were playing a good LSU team that was getting better only down a WR. We were down our 6 best players who we had played and prepped with all year.

Looking at the bowl game and thinking it had any bearing on this year is silly.

Last edited:
5 decomitted. 2 went to UL.

You don’t think Brohm would have either started Allen or gotten a QB in the portal? It definitely wouldn’t have been Card.

We apparently got a “good” one. LOL.

No. When I saw the bowl game I didn’t freak out. We were playing a good LSU team that was getting better only down a WR. We were down our 6 best players who we had played and prepped with all year.

Looking at the bowl game and thinking it had any bearing on this year is silly.
7 decommitted according to Boiler upload, not me. No Allen wouldn't have started. He just wasn't ready. I think he has the tools to be good eventually. Having him start this year would have been throwing him to the wolves. Of course I have no real proof of that. I do think if he had been ready he would still be here and be starting. But it had to be a tough situation for the kid to be put into. I don't really blame him for what he has done. He went to the guy that believed in him and recruited him. I hated to see him go. I think Brohm would have reached out as he did and gotten Plummer for a year, a guy that knew his system and given Allen some more time to mature. Walters just went after the highest rated guy he could get at the moment.

Last edited:
7 decommitted according to Boiler upload, not me. No Allen wouldn't have started. He just wasn't ready. I think he has the tools to be good eventually. Having him start this year would have been throwing him to the wolves. Of course I have no real proof of that. I do think if he had been ready he would still be here and be starting. But it had to be a tough situation for the kid to be put into. I don't really blame him for what he has done. He went to the guy that believed in him and recruited him. I hated to see him go. I think Brohm would have reached out as he did and gotten Plummer for a year, a guy that knew his system and given Allen some more time to mature. Walters just went after the highest rated guy he could get at the moment.
Plummer wouldn’t have come back here. Inside info. Moot as Brohm was already gone and was planning the move 2-3 weeks before it happened with the UL brass.

I think you discount time in a starters roll in fall and spring camps. It’s why we looked so bad vs LSU. First, giant talent gap we’ll never ever close. Second, we weren’t deep and they are. Take away 1800 receiving yards, a good QB, the defenses 2 best players…of course you’re going to look like crap.

Guys get better with practice and camps from 1 year to the next. Seemingly, our guys didn’t. That points to coaching to me…

NAILED IT!

Reactions: NVboiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT