ADVERTISEMENT

We dodged a bullet on Catchings

I don’t disagree but you were taking some commentary to a podcast and surmising some narrative on this guy when reality is Brian already said earlier in the podcast he won’t start and said his role would be similar to Colvin. I agree he probably gets more minutes than Colvin but that’s far from an assumption he would start. Also he said earlier TKR could start at 4 and get more minutes at 4 with Jacobson looking so good. So, yes, you have to listen to the whole podcast, every comment is not an absolute.
If this wasn't a guy who was going to play major minutes but instead a guy who would play 4 minutes a half (Colvin's numbers) and might be ready in year 3 we wouldn't be talking about him more than in passing. We wouldn't have every Boiler podcast and national podcasts talking about him.

Highest ranked player since Biggie. On 2025 first round draft lists. Yeah it's not just me assuming he was coming in to play big minutes.

I've been talking about him starting at the 4 at some point all season. Almost no pushback. If I'd done a poll on Wednesday I guarantee it wouldn't be all that controversial. Now, all of a sudden he's a three year project and I'm crazy for thinking he would have started.

I'm pretty sure that's because he left. Not because the proper analysis is he gets spot minutes off the bench in year one and maybe two.

Reactions: seminolesboilers
Painter must have promised Morton minutes…why not Catchings? 😉Painter for whatever reason had a man crush with Morton.
Painter very clearly gave Morton every chance. Probably too many. But he also very quickly pulled out the rug last season when it became clear Heide was a much better option. I mean it seemed clear from the start but it didn't take Painter long.

I got a lot more than that because I listened to the entire broadcast, but anyone who thinks he wouldn't contribute until year 3 is engaging in copium including Brian. Some of his other soundbites included him talking about him playing the 3-4 and now your starter at the 4 is probably Heide to start. Which means that wasn't his thought for before. Because his thought was that it was possibly going to be Catchings because of course that was a real possibility.

He also talked about having more minutes for Colvin and Heide, because of course he was going to take minutes away from those two.

They talked about now Waddell possibly being needed because now we need to fill the holes there with what we have left. The point is he covered a lot of holes at a lot of positions and no that's not "like Colvin."

He's three inches taller than Colvin, he's more athletic than Colvin, he's more versatile than Colvin. Colvin is probably an equal shooter and at this point definitely a better defender (and I think quite clearly a better team player). Colvin isn't on anyone's 2025 first round NBA draft lists. Doesn't mean he can't get there, but the idea that there isn't a real talent differential there right now is something only a Purdue fan would argue. Catchings is. There's a reason for that and it's not because maybe he might contribute in year 3.

He sure as heck wasn't coming off the bench for four minutes a half like Colvin. Painter didn't sign him thinking he was staying here more than 2 years. It's quite clear he had no interest in that. So why would he sign that guy to sit on a bench for a year or two, play spot minutes and then leave for somewhere else?

We will see soon enough for BYU when he probably signs there. I bet he's not playing just 8 minutes a game.
Catchings is athletic but he ain’t doin this my guy

Catchings is projected first rounder, but who knows what will happen…once ppl saw mgbako, he went from lotto pick to not even remotely getting drafted. Catchings is in the first round as potential. He’s probably going to be a fists rounder, but we may see him have to come back a 2nd year.

It doesn’t really matter who plays the 4, as we play TKR and Dj/Furst at the 5 with him. And they’ll interchange. TKR will be low post scoring option…doesn’t have to be the “5” …but Heide I don’t think plays as much 4 as ppl are saying. We have TKR, Berg, DJ, Furst, maybe Burgess to all play the 4 and 5 and split mins there. Catchings certainly gave us a different look with a more athletic lineup if he would play the 4.

Reactions: Poprudy
Painter must have promised Morton minutes…why not Catchings? 😉Painter for whatever reason had a man crush with Morton.
And realized his playing time was going to be diminished and stuck around for leadership. That's a program player and at one point was a highly sought after recruit. There's is completely nothing wrong with a guy like him on the bench.

You guys keep searching for something to bash CMP about because we didn't land a potential great recruit. Nothing in life is guaranteed and this kids production in Painter's system wasn't guaranteed. CMP just took us to a NC and you trust an 18 year old. This tells me the kind of person you are or how impulsive you are. Give it a rest and let his roster play it's self out.

And realized his playing time was going to be diminished and stuck around for leadership. That's a program player and at one point was a highly sought after recruit. There's is completely nothing wrong with a guy like him on the bench.

You guys keep searching for something to bash CMP about because we didn't land a potential great recruit. Nothing in life is guaranteed and this kids production in Painter's system wasn't guaranteed. CMP just took us to a NC and you trust an 18 year old. This tells me the kind of person you are or how impulsive you are. Give it a rest and let his roster play it's self out.
Who's bashing Painter other than Seminoles?
You can BOTH believe that Catchings was going to play a prime role on our team next season AND that Painter was correct for not promising him anything other than opportunity or even that the benefit he brought for possibly one season wasn't worth the negatives he might bring the seasons that followed thanks to ruined locker room chemistry or other players not happy with how much he might have had to be catered to in order to keep him happy.

Seminoles is his own thing out on an island.

Reactions: Schnelk

Catchings is projected first rounder, but who knows what will happen…once ppl saw mgbako, he went from lotto pick to not even remotely getting drafted. Catchings is in the first round as potential. He’s probably going to be a fists rounder, but we may see him have to come back a 2nd year.

It doesn’t really matter who plays the 4, as we play TKR and Dj/Furst at the 5 with him. And they’ll interchange. TKR will be low post scoring option…doesn’t have to be the “5” …but Heide I don’t think plays as much 4 as ppl are saying. We have TKR, Berg, DJ, Furst, maybe Burgess to all play the 4 and 5 and split mins there. Catchings certainly gave us a different look with a more athletic lineup if he would play the 4.
This kind of reminds me of Keion Brooks very athletic kids with so much potential and let certain people talk him into something that didn't help him in the long run.

This happens and it will continue to fail young men.

Reactions: SKYDOG

Well heck he might have been hit by a meteor, but generally speaking, projected first rounders in the NBA the following year don't play 8.6 minutes a game. Agreed?

This kind of reminds me of Keion Brooks very athletic kids with so much potential and let certain people talk him into something that didn't help him in the long run.

This happens and it will continue to fail young men.
…and Romeo Langford.

Reactions: SKYDOG and Poprudy

I think once DJ can figure out defense in the college game. He will be a stud for our team's system.

Personally, my lineup would be:
BS, MC, CH, TKR and DJ.

Great facilitator, Very athletic wings that can drive and shoot, a decent athletic 4 who can bang with the best and a potentially Donovan Clingan type but with a better shot.

Have Cox, Fletch, Harris, Furst and Berg as rotation guys with Burgess and Benter RS.

I don't buy into any of the NIL information by little brother down south.

Personally, I believe Tiffany is setting a sustainable platform for Purdue. We will continue to go in the right direction when it comes to NIL.

Catchings is definitely a conversation piece on what could have been. The guy didn’t want to play at Purdue, what good does it do talking about what could have happened. I would rather see posts and comments about the players Purdue has. Go Boilers

Catchings is definitely a conversation piece on what could have been. The guy didn’t want to play at Purdue, what good does it do talking about what could have happened. I would rather see posts and comments about the players Purdue has. Go Boilers
He’s a great player that more than likely will have a great shot at a career in the nba. Disappointed we couldn’t see him develop and play at Purdue but kids gotta do what they think is best for them. Also you want kids that want to play at your school. If he doesn’t want to play here because of whatever, then that’s on him and hope he finds what he’s looking for and it’s the right decision for him.

At least he did it before getting to practice and getting in the mix of that.

I don't buy into any of the NIL information by little brother down south.

Personally, I believe Tiffany is setting a sustainable platform for Purdue. We will continue to go in the right direction when it comes to NIL.
Lol they are just grasping for straws and are HOPING that NIL will get them back to where they were 40 years ago. They’ve been so bad for a looooong time that this is one of their last chances to actual be worth a damn. They more than likely should with who they bought but I’m guessing it ends in frustration, yet again. And even if they are this year, they have to go out and buy a team every year and hope it sticks and they have a good team….similar to Illinois.

He is an idiot for sure then.
Well I guess since he started saying it…Purdue has won 4 B1G ships out right, 2 being back to back by multiple games, a BTT title, 5 S16s, 2E8s, a F4, a NCRU, a top 5 lotto pick, a 2x NPOTY, countless all conf players, some AAs, ranking of number 1 3 straight years, won tons of non conference games, top 25 games, domination of the conference and probably missing more accolades….so maybe he should keep saying it 😂

Interesting that the MBB roster on the Purdue Sports website didn’t waste any time getting updated. Also, I attended the Father-Son camp yesterday, which my SIL and Grandson greatly enjoyed. During the camp they had activities in Mackey, Holloway and Cardinal gyms. Also, we toured the weight room, players lounge and locker room. Braden showed the kids all his different shoes, which of course they all ooh’d and ah’d about. The players all have nice name plates which are all preprinted and illuminated. Every locker has a name above it none of which had KC’s name. They didn’t waste any time either removing it, or maybe, never put one up. I almost asked Elliot Bloom about it, but chose not to. Interesting.

Interesting that the MBB roster on the Purdue Sports website didn’t waste any time getting updated. Also, I attended the Father-Son camp yesterday, which my SIL and Grandson greatly enjoyed. During the camp they had activities in Mackey, Holloway and Cardinal gyms. Also, we toured the weight room, players lounge and locker room. Braden showed the kids all his different shoes, which of course they all ooh’d and ah’d about. The players all have nice name plates which are all preprinted and illuminated. Every locker has a name above it none of which had KC’s name. They didn’t waste any time either removing it, or maybe, never put one up. I almost asked Elliot Bloom about it, but chose not to. Interesting.
He was not on campus yet and I believe the others were? May have not gone up.

I had a boss 10 years ago that was the president of the company, a very busy man who didn’t get much involved on day-to-day stuff, and when someone left the company he would walk over and pull their name tag off their office within hours, pretty demonstratively. It sends a message for sure.

Reactions: DrEss
I think Painter did a great job last year…but made a mistake not doing what was necessary to keep Catchings. We will see how this plays out. Catchings skill set and size will be a difficult matchup for opposing teams. That’s all…never once last year said to fire him. Only that I was a harsh critic especially the previous year losing to a 16-seed. Respect all…

I think Painter did a great job last year…but made a mistake not doing what was necessary to keep Catchings. We will see how this plays out. Catchings skill set and size will be a difficult matchup for opposing teams. That’s all…never once last year said to fire him. Only that I was a harsh critic especially the previous year losing to a 16-seed. Respect all…
I think it’d be good for you to listen to this to understand what may have been going on:

Wow, that Brian guy sounds a lot like someone we know. tKR at the 4? Catchings at the 3? Hmmm who said that 4 weeks ago? I still believe Jacobson’s showing at the under 19 tournament had a factor in catching leaving. With Jacobson doing so well at center, tkr would be at the 4, leaving catchings either backing up tkr or starting at the three. And painter usually starts a guard at the three rather than a forward.

If you put your eyes in Catchings perspective it sure did not look like he would be given a chance to shine or showcase his talents at Purdue. If he wanted to start at the 3, Purdue had the wrong offense to do so.

It sure appears basketball is his #1 priority and not an education. I’m confident he will find some place that will allow him to start and be a star. Purdue with Painter coaching was not that place.

I don’t think he was selfish or making demands of starting. I just believe he wanted to play the 3 and that wasn’t going to happen at Purdue. And after talking to Painter he realized that and made a decision.

It’s kind of obvious he choose Purdue to play basketball and not to earn a degree. He’ll land on his feet somewhere. He can probably earn more nil money going to a college. However, he will have to find a school willing to make him a star at the position he wants to play. And, he will have a much faster path to the nba playing in one of the developmental leagues. That would be my projection.

You don't even know what was "necessary" to keep him. What if Catchings wanted to start at point guard?

What if Catchings wanted to be featured as the primary scorer like Edey was?

For what purpose? To make it a little easier to make a sweet 16 before he left after one season?

You're no better than the people proclaiming him someone who might have contributed in his third season by turning him into a superstar player Painter needed to do anything to keep. Yeah he would have definitely made us a better team this upcoming season and played significant minutes. No he wasn't carrying us to a final four. Yes he would have been a negative to team chemistry and might have made a close knit and apparently happy team into something a lot worse.

All to be better but not final four worthy for one season? That bang isn't worth the buck.

Reactions: Schnelk
Catchings didn’t need Purdue to get his NIL money. Pack made his NIL money without help from Miami. Arch Manning and Clark made their NIL contracts outside of their university. Even Edey made some NIL. Deals without needing Purdue’s help. Athletes can make their own deals! Catchings can go anywhere and still make the same NIL. Deals. All he needs is a quasi agent/handler.

Also this is a great listen too in understanding the culture and thought process of Painter:

Listening to Brian, it sounded like Catchings would have to beat out Heide, tkr and Miles If he wanted a starting role. Rather than starting from day 1. And Painter would play him at the position he wanted him to play which not have been the position he wanted to play.

Brian also pointed to Jacobson’s recent success. Tkr is going to get his minutes. Although, that could be a lot more at the 4 than the 5.

Brian also mentioned Catchings might start out as a backup and not starter. It just seems like Catchings has a lot of talent but was not a good fit for Purdue.

I still see Catchings as a 3. Can anybody else with knowledge of Painter’s offense see Painter starting a true forward at the three instead of another guard. I just don’t see Painter changing his 3 guard offense no matter how talented Catchings may be. I believe Catchings realized the same thing. If he wanted to start at the three, it wasn’t going to be at Purdue.

Wow, that Brian guy sounds a lot like someone we know. tKR at the 4? Catchings at the 3? Hmmm who said that 4 weeks ago? I still believe Jacobson’s showing at the under 19 tournament had a factor in catching leaving. With Jacobson doing so well at center, tkr would be at the 4, leaving catchings either backing up tkr or starting at the three. And painter usually starts a guard at the three rather than a forward.

If you put your eyes in Catchings perspective it sure did not look like he would be given a chance to shine or showcase his talents at Purdue. If he wanted to start at the 3, Purdue had the wrong offense to do so.

It sure appears basketball is his #1 priority and not an education. I’m confident he will find some place that will allow him to start and be a star. Purdue with Painter coaching was not that place.

I don’t think he was selfish or making demands of starting. I just believe he wanted to play the 3 and that wasn’t going to happen at Purdue. And after talking to Painter he realized that and made a decision.

It’s kind of obvious he choose Purdue to play basketball and not to earn a degree. He’ll land on his feet somewhere. He can probably earn more nil money going to a college. However, he will have to find a school willing to make him a star at the position he wants to play. And, he will have a much faster path to the nba playing in one of the developmental leagues. That would be my projection.
Wole, listen to this as well please and it’ll explain catchings better.

Reactions: BBG and Roeder

Did you see their napping berths? Like the ones you would picture on a train.

I think it’d be good for you to listen to this to understand what may have been going on:

The recent BoilerBall podcast with Painter interview was great listen too.

It was recorded BEFORE catchings left, but when speaking about how much last year's team valued winning and putting team first, he said something to the effect of, "You can't have enough people that care. If you don't care, stay off our bus and go get on somebody's who we play because that is what will bring a team down."

It makes total sense why Painter didn't try to talk him onto team after hearing that. If locker room is full of 13 other scholarship guys who are there to get back to final 4 and win it all, and you have one talented guy who is there for NIL money and NBA draft stock over team goals, things could go sideways quick.

The recent BoilerBall podcast with Painter interview was great listen too.

It was recorded BEFORE catchings left, but when speaking about how much last year's team valued winning and putting team first, he said something to the effect of, "You can't have enough people that care. If you don't care, stay off our bus and go get on somebody's who we play because that is what will bring a team down."

It makes total sense why Painter didn't try to talk him onto team after hearing that. If locker room is full of 13 other scholarship guys who are there to get back to final 4 and win it all, and you have one talented guy who is there for NIL money and NBA draft stock over team goals, things could go sideways quick.
💯 I am almost done listening it and actually posted it on here as well.

Absolute great listen and coupled with neuberts podcast, gives great insight as to why he let Catchings go finally

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT