ADVERTISEMENT

Watts

I wouldnt call knox and jones superior. Middle of the pack Big ten, maybe. Same for Blough. Sindelar never proved it over a season.
Blough's been in the pros (Cleveland/Detroit) now for 2-3 seasons and has started. He's better than some have given him credit for on here.

Reactions: Inspector100
I wouldnt call knox and jones superior. Middle of the pack Big ten, maybe. Same for Blough. Sindelar never proved it over a season.
Can I ask you … by year 5 regardless.. shouldn’t your conversion rate as far as guys who are retained, developed and ready to play be what it is independent of who came before you

He did bring in Devin Mockobee and Downing from UNLV. I have no idea if either of them have a shot to play this season.
That’s kinda the point.. he should be answering questions in year 5. If he doesn’t, you ask why. However, if he does, you give him credit. If he answers mouth.. we will see a turnaround.

if you see Alexander, brothers and Graham out there playing well and they are able to get the occasion contributions from semisi (run), Saunders and yanni karlaftis .. ok then in my book he’s answered that question.

if Horvath leaves the Minnesota game for the day with 12 yards, but in addition to doerue picking up 80, downing gives you 35.. ok, you’ve answered that question …

If we were to get DECENT answers to questions in every position group and Bell, Durham, Karlaftis, Allen and trice can show out, this could easily be a 7-5 team that’s fun to watch.

Can I ask you … by year 5 regardless.. shouldn’t your conversion rate as far as guys who are retained, developed and ready to play be what it is independent of who came before you
For certain positions, yes. For the trenches, no

Blough's been in the pros (Cleveland/Detroit) now for 2-3 seasons and has started. He's better than some have given him credit for on here.
To me after Brees and Orton, he’s the best we’ve had since 1997 (when I began following). That throw to Zico is probably not something he could do again and I’m not sure Orton or brees would just nail it. That was a tight window he fit that into

So let me ask you a question. Let's just say Purdue goes 5-7 or 6-6 this coming year. I think either of those records are realistic at this point. And if we look at Brohm's record he would then be 7-6, 6-7, 4-8, 2-4, and 5-7/6-6 with 2 bowl appearances and one bowl win. Would you consider that appropriate progress on a rebuild for any coach in their 5th year?

You continue to say you're just looking for progress, and you continue to dismiss anyone else's criticism of current progress. So what is your opinion on what the progress should be? And don't come back with "It's Bobinski's job to judge progress". I want your opinion on what the progress should be. If not, then maybe you should stop criticizing other opinions...
So many things wrong with your post.

Hypotheticals almost always suck. They're usually used to lure someone into a position for attack. This example is no different.

Also, you didn't address the point of my post, which was clearly in jest. If you have no sense of humor on the topic, it would be wise to stay away from it. (Not an order, not advice, just some friendly feedback.)

Third, what you, I, and anyone else on this board thinks is "appropriate progress" is meaningless. Completely meaningless. It couldn't be MORE meaningless. You can demand that I not "come back with 'It's Bobinski's job to judge progress'", but that's exactly what it is. The only thing your demand can be used for is to further the complaining about Brohm... and inciting threads. Nothing more.

Fourth, I've not "dismiss(ed) anyone else's criticism of current progress". Analyzed it? Yes. Pointed out the fallacies, faulty logic, errors, assumptions, et al? Absolutely. That happens on a forum. Again, if that's not acceptable to you, you might choose to avoid the topic. You don't have to, you likely won't (and that's okay).

Finally ... Lighten up.

EDIT...

This is a big part of what I'm driving at: So you're saying this won't be a development season? I guess you're sticking to your 8-4 prediction?

It's almost like you're wanting people to box themselves in, so that if/when the positives don't happen you'll have someone to go after. Not a good look, Pat. Like I've said before: I like you, but you have a blind spot. You're a bit too cynical on the Brohm subject. JMHO, of course.

Last edited:
So many things wrong with your post.

Hypotheticals almost always suck. They're usually used to lure someone into a position for attack. This example is no different.

Also, you didn't address the point of my post, which was clearly in jest. If you have no sense of humor on the topic, it would be wise to stay away from it. (Not an order, not advice, just some friendly feedback.)

Third, what you, I, and anyone else on this board thinks is "appropriate progress" is meaningless. Completely meaningless. It couldn't be MORE meaningless. You can demand that I not "come back with 'It's Bobinski's job to judge progress'", but that's exactly what it is. The only thing your demand can be used for is to further the complaining about Brohm... and inciting threads. Nothing more.

Fourth, I've not "dismiss(ed) anyone else's criticism of current progress". Analyzed it? Yes. Pointed out the fallacies, faulty logic, errors, assumptions, et al? Absolutely. That happens on a forum. Again, if that's not acceptable to you, you might choose to avoid the topic. You don't have to, you likely won't (and that's okay).

Finally ... Lighten up.
I agree that it doesn’t matter what we think of his progress even if he’s 3-9. I don’t see Bobinski firing him so it doesn’t matter.

I would also say a decent 5-7 shouldn’t cause anyone to be angry.. getting 6 wins in the big ten when you don’t schedule cupcakes isn’t easy. It’s not 2009

I wasn't comparing them to other B1G teams. I was comparing them to what we have now. Same with the QB's.

Ok but all things equal.. you bring in a guy on the OL in 2018 who doesn’t work out and an opposing coach brings one who does, you’ve lost that battle
That’s why you bring in 4 a class. We could start all recruits this year on the line and be okay. Witt allowed us to upgrade

I really don’t understand the argument by some that it takes 5-6 years to rebuild.
If you follow college football or listen to any other team or analyst talk about it, year 3 is the line in the sand. That doesn’t mean you have to be 11-1 or 12-0 by year 3 if you weren’t a big program, but a P5 level team needs to be 8-4, 9-3 by year 3.
By then you have three full recruiting classes & Juniors you recruited.
By year 5 you have full classes you recruited come through & graduate multiple times.
What you inherited means nothing by then because those players are all gone.
By year 3 Purdue should be 8-4 at a minimum in the B1G West if Brohm is the guy. If you think he needs 6 years then he isn’t the guy & you really don’t understand how college football works & can change with a solid coach.

I really don’t understand the argument by some that it takes 5-6 years to rebuild.
If you follow college football or listen to any other team or analyst talk about it, year 3 is the line in the sand. That doesn’t mean you have to be 11-1 or 12-0 by year 3 if you weren’t a big program, but a P5 level team needs to be 8-4, 9-3 by year 3.
By year 5 you have full classes you recruited come through & graduate multiple times.
By year 3 Purdue should be 8-4 at a minimum in the B1G West if Brohm is the guy. If you think he needs 6 years then he isn’t the guy & you really don’t understand how college football works & can change with a solid coach.
Oh no, don’t offer an outside perspective lol.. not that.

don’t you get it. You can be a great coach by year 5, have given out signing day scholarships to 4 running backs, only have one of them left, with a walk on who starts in front of him.. and it’s Darrell hazell’s fault lol.

by the way, brohm will write the story this year, I’m more knocking some of the terrible arguments I see here.

A lot of coaches have one proven corner and one proven safety after four years. Again.. he will write the story this year, but that’s what we have

This is bullshit. For example, Frank Beamer won 2 games in his 6th season and ended up being one of the best coaches in the game.

Brohm’s Year 3 he lost his starting QB (Sindelar), an American WR (Rondale Moore), 2 starting OL, an All-BIG caliber DT (Lorenzo Neal), an All-BIG caliber LB (Markus Bailey), plus some back-ups. I don’t remember Purdue losing this many quality starters in one season EVER, especially do early in the season.

Reactions: Matt Tiger
This is bullshit. For example, Frank Beamer won 2 games in his 6th season and ended up being one of the best coaches in the game.

Brohm’s Year 3 he lost his starting QB (Sindelar), an American WR (Rondale Moore), 2 starting OL, an All-BIG caliber DT (Lorenzo Neal), an All-BIG caliber LB (Markus Bailey), plus some back-ups. I don’t remember Purdue losing this many quality starters in one season EVER, especially do early in the season.
I don't think anyone expected miracles in year 3. But by year 5, if Brohm is a reasonably good coach, Purdue should have a winning record. Not sure how anyone could argue that.

Reactions: Inspector100

LOL, BS, huh?
You named one coach and that was what, 30 years ago he was hired?
There is a long list of coaches who took teams over, some on probation, & had winning programs by year 3.
Look at the powers right now in CFB.
Bama was an average team, hovering around 7-5, for a decade before Saban, who won the National Title by year 3.
Clemson actually had a word, “Clemsoning” for their program failure before Dabo, who won the ACC by year 3. ND had been average for 20 years before Kelly, who went 12-0 & to the Title game by year 3.
Oklahoma was mediocre for over a decade before Stoops, who won the title in year 2.
OSU couldn’t win the B1G or beat Michigan for a decade, then Tressel wins the National Title by year 2. Then Meyer takes over a team on probation & wins the National Title in year 3.
That’s just the top programs now. Look at Iowa State before Campbell? Purdue isn’t even close to that.
Im not saying Purdue should be 11-1, but 8-4 should be doable.

And don’t give me the injury excuse. All teams lose great players & thats what recruiting & development are for. I can also give you a list of teams who lost more & still won 10 games.

I don't think anyone expected miracles in year 3. But by year 5, if Brohm is a reasonably good coach, Purdue should have a winning record. Not sure how anyone could argue that.
That was my point about saying you have to have things turned around by year 3 & be at 8-4 as a minimum by year 5.
I’ve seen nothing that suggests improvement, or even stabilization.

LOL, BS, huh?
There is a long list of coaches who took teams over, some on probation, & had winning programs by year 3.
Bama was an average team, hovering around 7-5, for a decade before Saban, who won the National Title by year 3.
Clemson actually had a word, “Clemsoning” for their program failure before Dabo, who won the ACC by year 3. ND had been average for 20 years before Kelly, who went 12-0 & to the Title game by year 3.
Oklahoma was mediocre for over a decade before Stoops, who won the title in year 2.
OSU couldn’t win the B1G or beat Michigan for a decade, then Tressel wins the National Title by year 2. Then Meyer takes over a team on probation & wins the National Title in year 3.
That’s just the top programs now. Look at Iowa State before Campbell? Purdue isn’t even close to that.

And don’t give me the injury excuse. All teams lose great players & thats what recruiting & development are for. I can also give you a list of teams who lost more & still won 10 games.
I do think you can scale it back some for schools who recruit at lower big ten levels .. but I agree with the premise

Reactions: purduepat1969
LOL, BS, huh?

LOL

You cited ... 'Bama.

and Clempson

And Oklahoma

And Ohio State

"don't give me..."

and, "don't give me..."

good grief. It's almost like you've come here and spouted off without bothering to read the back and forth, analysis, and demands over the past 2-4 years.

Now, you have all the answers.

We could have skipped all the other posts and just invited your keen analysis.

*wth*

Reactions: SDBoiler1
That was my point about saying you have to have things turned around by year 3 & be at 8-4 as a minimum by year 5.
I’ve seen nothing that suggests improvement, or even stabilization.
You’re really comparing Purdue’s situation to Oklahoma or notre same. Are you daft?

anonymous coach quote:

“They’ve earned a reputation of being much about flash and not substance because they made so much noise and disappeared. They’ve cycled through so many defensive coordinators that people are starting to talk about what it’s like to work for Jeff brohm.”

sounds like a quote about a team that will be waiting till 2023 for austin and Hudgins lol
Sounds like a negative recruiting pitch from a competing coach. Happens quite often.
And the new defensive coaches who joined this year appear to all be upgrades over those that they replaced. I suggest that we let their decisions to come to Purdue and work with CJB speak for themselves and will value that far more than an anonymous quote from a competitor for both coaching and player talent.
Of course, winning will silence all of the negativity (except from those who are only happy when they are unhappy!).

While I agree with you on the faulty premise, I also don’t think the correct alternative is “well hazell, so.. expect shit in year 8” like some would like it
If Purdue weren’t the worst team in power 5 after hazell, I woukdint bring it up. I think brohm has flaws, but I also realize the hole he started in and the limitations of Purdue

If Purdue weren’t the worst team in power 5 after hazell, I woukdint bring it up. I think brohm has flaws, but I also realize the hole he started in and the limitations of Purdue
That’s why I’m only asking for something similar to what tiller did by year 5.. I posted the starting lineup.. if brohm had that going this year I’d be happy. And we don’t know that he won’t yet. And when tiller was here, BTN wasn’t.. and the lower tier teams recruited worse than they do now. I remember when Indiana’s classes were all two stars

Sounds like a negative recruiting pitch from a competing coach. Happens quite often.
And the new defensive coaches who joined this year appear to all be upgrades over those that they replaced. I suggest that we let their decisions to come to Purdue and work with CJB speak for themselves and will value that far more than an anonymous quote from a competitor for both coaching and player talent.
Of course, winning will silence all of the negativity (except from those who are only happy when they are unhappy!).
I like talking about it and am somewhere in the middle.. despite predicting 5-7 with some narrow losses, I’ll be thrilled if we are 7-5 and will say the words “I was wrong.”

im not with the rah rah sunshine crew, and im not with the crew who wants brohm fired. I see 5-7 this year with a turnaround next year bringing 7-5+ IF the coaches do the developing this year that is needed.

the 01 boilers (tiller’s 5th year) had Johnson, Odom, Gardner, koutivides and loerzel at linebacker .. we can have that again if they develop it.

That’s why I’m only asking for something similar to what tiller did by year 5.. I posted the starting lineup.. if brohm had that going this year I’d be happy. And we don’t know that he won’t yet. And when tiller was here, BTN wasn’t.. and the lower tier teams recruited worse than they do now. I remember when Indiana’s classes were all two stars
Tiller did not inherit a similar mess. Like I said, Wilson is probably a better comp

Most rebuilds are as significant.

Tiller did not inherit a similar mess. Like I said, Wilson is probably a better comp
But this is year 5. Darrell hazell didn’t make Evan Anderson, Tirek Murphy and Hewitt not work out for varying reasons

also, less of a mess.. Much harder to recruit at the Purdues, indianas and northwesterns of the world at that time …

Reactions: purduepat1969
LOL, BS, huh?

Pick some teams comparable to Purdue. Like Kevin Wilson at iu.

Half the G5 teams might have had better programs

But this is year 5. Darrell hazell didn’t make Evan Anderson, Tirek Murphy and Hewitt not work out for varying reasons

also, less of a mess.. Much harder to recruit at the Purdues, indianas and northwesterns of the world at that time …
Anderson moved home for family. Murphy got in trouble with the law. Hewitt might have been a reach and was a miss. But blame Brohm?

No it wasn’t. No one went to the Mac, the sec was in the shitter and John cooper was wetting his pants at OSU. Put the edibles away

Anderson moved home for family. Murphy got in trouble with the law. Hewitt might have been a reach and was a miss. But blame Brohm?
There are coaches who would have converted more … you get a certain number of scholarships and you find out that with that number .. some can, some cant.

give fitz the same scholarships spent on running backs and yeah maybe Anderson goes home. And I’m willing to bet you he misses on at least one less guy.. and were he here it’s highly likely you’d at least have Horvath, doerue, and a 5.5 high probability guy ready to push both of them for his carries ..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT