ADVERTISEMENT

Watts

Did we stop the run last year when we had zero depth at DL?
We ran a 3 man front and had no DE depth.

Watts was at the 1 technique and had Lawrence and austin behind him. We also have Boyd who looks like he could play either spot.

We ran a 3 man front and had no DE depth.

Watts was at the 1 technique and had Lawrence and austin behind him. We also have Boyd who looks like he could play either spot.
We'll see what happens. The concerning thing is this happens before the season even begins. What happens when we start having playing injuries like we've had in previous years?

We'll see what happens. The concerning thing is this happens before the season even begins. What happens when we start having playing injuries like we've had in previous years?

We will see, but we have quality players at the positions. Its a matter of them showing up to play. One thing i liked about Watts was he was tough as nails and it rubbed off on the rest of the line.

We will see, but we have quality players at the positions. Its a matter of them showing up to play. One thing i liked about Watts was he was tough as nails and it rubbed off on the rest of the line.
Forgot about the DT from iu's 2 deep that came to Purdue I think.

Damarjhe Lewis. Wasn't on the 2-deep, but he was young and they had high hopes for him as I understand it.
I believe I read he was on the two deeps post spring practice and was anticipated to be a part of the 2021 defense.

Bryce Austin? 6’2” 310lbs from last years roster…3*** out of HS
Maybe this kid can step up. Reading his bio he was pretty nasty in high school
Like all kids that big, I think he needed to get his conditioning in order.

So here’s what we appear to be relying on…

> a nose tackle who I’ve seen sometimes not get pushed. I’ve never actually seen him do the pushing.
> a 280 lb 3 tech who to me doesn’t rise to the quality of a player who can be effective at that weight. Can you be? Yes. Does that mean he is? Haven’t seen it yet.

then you have the IU transfer and Boyd …

so here is my thing, like it or not. THERE ARE COACHES IN AMERICA who would have austin and Hudgins ready to get in the mix. They do exist..

anonymous coach quote:

“They’ve earned a reputation of being much about flash and not substance because they made so much noise and disappeared. They’ve cycled through so many defensive coordinators that people are starting to talk about what it’s like to work for Jeff brohm.”

sounds like a quote about a team that will be waiting till 2023 for austin and Hudgins lol

> a nose tackle who I’ve seen sometimes not get pushed. I’ve never actually seen him do the pushing.
> a 280 lb 3 tech who to me doesn’t rise to the quality of a player who can be effective at that weight. Can you be? Yes. Does that mean he is? Haven’t seen it yet.

so here is my thing, like it or not. THERE ARE COACHES IN AMERICA who would have austin and Hudgins ready to get in the mix. They do exist..
Job of the nose is to occupy 2 people. Anything more than that is a bonus. Johnson can do that and has in the past.

we will see with deen. We have more options at the 3 so I’m not concerned at the moment.

anonymous coach quote:

“They’ve earned a reputation of being much about flash and not substance because they made so much noise and disappeared. They’ve cycled through so many defensive coordinators that people are starting to talk about what it’s like to work for Jeff brohm.”

sounds like a quote about a team that will be waiting till 2023 for austin and Hudgins lol
This something you read?

Well. Not sure I totally agree with you. Ideally, you don't have underclassmen playing in the trenches. It's not a recipe for success.

Job of the nose is to occupy 2 people. Anything more than that is a bonus. Johnson can do that and has in the past.

we will see with deen. We have more options at the 3 so I’m not concerned at the moment.
But my issue with those that predict us on the higher end is that all that we have at the DT position for example is a couple of guys who might be something .. with our schedule that says development season to me not arrival season

Reactions: purduepat1969
But my issue with those that predict us on the higher end is that all that we have at the DT position for example is a couple of guys who might be something .. with our schedule that says development season to me not arrival season
i think development season is about right. QB is meh. Defense will be in its first season under an overhauled staff.

I get it. But my point is when you have a choice between “meh” and underclassmen, that might not be your breakout season
You are calling the meh players meh based on their play as underclassmen though. Just because they struggled when they were young (which was expected) doesn't mean they remain meh. You actually hope they don't.

Reactions: Sophie1970
We will see.. this whole thing at times flirts with reminding one of the late tiller years
I think Brohm has it right now. Everyone knew the last couple years were going to be his toughest, I think we were just all in denial. Without the major injuries and covid, still might have made a bowl both years.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT