ADVERTISEMENT

Want your thoughts on an honest question regarding Tom Allen

There's much more to his raise than just last year's results. People quickly forget that Allen led the Hoosiers to 8 wins and a Gator Bowl berth the year before...

When you factor in he just led the program to two consecutive January bowl games, beat mighty Michigan, mighty MSU, mighty PSU and bruising Wisconsin all in the same season, it's pretty easy to understand the raise he received.

Tom Allen has a legitimate shot at winning 10 games this year. It's money well spent, plus, Indiana is trending towards being a football school. It's all good 👍😌👌!!
I can’t stop reading this post…needed a good laugh this Friday morning.

Tom is 11-4 in his last 15 Big Ten games...Lucky? No, not really when considering his star QB keeps getting hurt. I would say Tom would probably have at least two or three more wins these last two years if Penix stayed healthy.

You're refusing to accept that tremendous progress has been made. I don't know what else to say.
I don’t know what else to say either. ROTFL

It's difficult and challenging to have an objective conversation with you people. Seeing Indiana Football do well is obviously devastating to you people.

The 11-4 Big Ten record speaks for itself. There's a tremendous amount of momentum in the program. Expectations are high, lots and lots of talent returns this year. It's a very exciting time to be an Indiana Football fan. Another big season where a January bowl game is achieved and Tom will get even more $$$.
ROTFL

Reactions: Purdue85
Wha....??!

You people casually forget to mention that most of these Big Ten teams would've had nice winning records had the non-conference portion been played out.

WTH? What does that even mean. That's nonsensical. That's b.s. That's wishful thinking. That's emotional, and not based in fact in the least. What idiocy.

I tell you what, I don't give a hoot what you people think or believe.

LOL! That's all you're concerned with... what PURDUE fans "think or believe". You cannot STAND it that we don't validate your program.

Indiana is going to bust your sorry a$$ come November, that's what matters.

Well, maybe.

Then again, you and your "rocket ship" of a program has struggled to beat Purdue, going 1-2 under Brohm, with that one win in double OT, in sh*tty weather, when your awesome program ended up 8-4 and Purdue 4-8.

LOL, indeed.
I can’t wait for the Old Oaken Bucket game in a few weeks.

Still think we should wait to see us actually win the Bucket back before we start gloating here.

It didn't take Kreskin to see that IU was in over their heads with expectations for this season starting with being ranked in the top ten in places. To what degree they have fallen short remains to be seen.

It wasnt sustainable.
That's the point I've been trying to make on the IU board since the 2020 season started. An offense hitting HRs with deep passes and a defense that averages 3 TOs a game is everything falling into place EXACTLY as needed to win games.

I didn't expect IU to give away games to MSU, Cinci, & MD this year the way they have, but I surely didn't expect everything to go wrong as it has.

I still think IU is better than their record, and I think most of the problems stem from poor OL & QB play all year with key injuries playing some level of a factor on defense more recently. But certainly a disappointment. I think IU SHOULD be at 4-5 or 5-4 right now, which would have been right in line with a good season. And anyone confidently predicting IU at 11-1 or 10-2 this year let the number of Ws last year cloud their vision of the product on the field.

• Haha
Reactions: Indy_Rider
True. And your original comment did suggest that IU would likely take a step backwards, so there's that.

But rather than just a step, IUFB took a running leap backwards and threw themselves into the cellar.
They may have found their next starting QB, and recruited very well in 2021, along with some transfers, and probably recruiting at the highest level the program has ever recruited so far in 2022.

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Season/2022-Football/Commits/

I’m not an Indiana fan, but they’re setting up to be competitive in 2022 and 2023.

You can see how one good season can help recruiting at Indiana, Minnesota and even Purdue. I hope this season, and all the media attention Purdue and Brohm are getting (Sportscenter, Jim Rome, nationally televised games, etc) will pay off in recruiting to close out the 2022 class and also boost the 2023 class.

Reactions: z_one
Your hatred for all things Brohm make me suspicious of what you are searching for? Allen has recruited very well to IU. Last year may have been a fluke, but he did engineer the season that they had. With the players he has recruited, I believe it will take him more time to make IU successful as a program. He appears to be headed in the right direction. IU fans are quick to replace coaches. This has proven to be a losing strategy to this point.

Your hatred for all things Brohm make me suspicious of what you are searching for? Allen has recruited very well to IU. Last year may have been a fluke, but he did engineer the season that they had. With the players he has recruited, I believe it will take him more time to make IU successful as a program. He appears to be headed in the right direction. IU fans are quick to replace coaches. This has proven to be a losing strategy to this point.
He engineered COVID? He is headed in the right direction (winless in the conference)?

IU will never be truly successful as a program...better than it had been? Perhaps, but, they will never be a factor (or consistent one) in the B1G East.

He engineered COVID? He is headed in the right direction (winless in the conference)?

IU will never be truly successful as a program...better than it had been? Perhaps, but, they will never be a factor (or consistent one) in the B1G East.

(one minor adjustment)

It's the B1G, not just the East.

Every time they whine about being in the B1G East it's pure comedy. They struggle every year to beat the B1G West teams. Hells bells, even through our struggles over the past 4 years we're 2-1 against them, and it's not looking better form them anytime soon.

That's the point I've been trying to make on the IU board since the 2020 season started. An offense hitting HRs with deep passes and a defense that averages 3 TOs a game is everything falling into place EXACTLY as needed to win games.

I didn't expect IU to give away games to MSU, Cinci, & MD this year the way they have, but I surely didn't expect everything to go wrong as it has.

I still think IU is better than their record, and I think most of the problems stem from poor OL & QB play all year with key injuries playing some level of a factor on defense more recently. But certainly a disappointment. I think IU SHOULD be at 4-5 or 5-4 right now, which would have been right in line with a good season. And anyone confidently predicting IU at 11-1 or 10-2 this year let the number of Ws last year cloud their vision of the product on the field.
IU won in the Covid year with no fans and historically bad PSU and Michigan teams. This year they have to play on the road in front of fans. Big difference.

Headed the right direction as far as recruiting is concerned.

When you lose you’re starting qb who is an all big ten candidate, you tend to be screwed.

Too many of their fans were highly dismissive of our NUMEROUS injuries to key players at multiple positions a couple of years ago, when they barely beat us in double OT.

Heck, even some of our own "fans" were dismissive of our circumstances, and bellowed on about "making excuses".

I'm not inclined to give them much grace on the topic.

Too many of their fans were highly dismissive of our NUMEROUS injuries to key players at multiple positions a couple of years ago, when they barely beat us in double OT.

Heck, even some of our own "fans" were dismissive of our circumstances, and bellowed on about "making excuses".

I'm not inclined to give them much grace on the topic.
I get what youre saying, but if you lose the center of youre offense, highly unlikely you will overcome it. Its like when we lost Orton in 2004. We didnt really do well without him.

Reactions: z_one
Wow. Have the tides changed as I'm not sure many still feel this way today.

He hasn’t been that great especially his record vs winning teams but when you’re the coach at IU, a historically bad program, you’re playing with house money. The expectations are low so any taste of success and he’s seen as good. He is recruiting good for them and put together decent back to back seasons so he’ll be put on a pedestal. So by IU standards he’s probably alright.

Reactions: z_one and Purdue85
Wow. Have the tides changed as I'm not sure many still feel this way today.
A lot of times we need to see a season play out to know certain things. Going into this year I think it was logical to think Allen had done well and Indiana would do well.

the takeaway now has to be that Deboer had a lot more to do with their success than I thought.

Reactions: boilermaker75
Why would he? He’s a West Coast guy - he’ll end up in the Pac12 if he goes job hunting.

That would be great. I don't mind facing him in the Rose Bowl! If I were USC's AD, DeBoer is who I would hire. He can even make Indinia look good.

Not really. Injuries derailed their season.
Holy cow, injuries derailed their season? Then what the hell did they do to us? We had more significant injuries than they did, by a long shot! Especially when you take into consideration that almost our entire roof of substitutes and the two deep on the offensive line had to leave football because of injuries…duh

Holy cow, injuries derailed their season? Then what the hell did they do to us? We had more significant injuries than they did, by a long shot! Especially when you take into consideration that almost our entire roof of substitutes and the two deep on the offensive line had to leave football because of injuries…duh
You talkin 2019?

You talkin 2019?
Wait what? Hell no I’m talking about this year. We’ve had a ton of injuries think about it? At one point we were at second string running back and to walk on‘s? Our top two tight ends were out with injury. We have a bloodletting at wide receiver. How many people on the offensive line have we lost before training camp started? Perhaps I’m the only one that noticed because of maybe I live in Ohio and I’m not as close to the action. Probably

Reactions: purduepat1969
Wait what? Hell no I’m talking about this year. We’ve had a ton of injuries think about it? At one point we were at second string running back and to walk on‘s? Our top two tight ends were out with injury. We have a bloodletting at wide receiver. How many people on the offensive line have we lost before training camp started? Perhaps I’m the only one that noticed because of maybe I live in Ohio and I’m not as close to the action. Probably
Trice

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT