ADVERTISEMENT

Want your thoughts on an honest question regarding Tom Allen

It looks like some of those parents have left.

Rutgers 38 Indinia 3
The real story here is how quickly Greg Schiano is getting Rutgers back again. They put a real whuppin' on IU yesterday. Rutgers is 5-5 with games left vs Penn State and Maryland and could easily be bowling again.

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsCoaches#AP°
Rutgers Scarlet Knights (Big East Conference) (2001–2011)
2001Rutgers2–90–78th
2002Rutgers1–110–78th
2003Rutgers5–72–57th
2004Rutgers4–71–56th
2005Rutgers7–54–33rdL Insight
2006Rutgers11–25–2T–2ndW Texas1212
2007Rutgers8–53–4T–5thW International
2008Rutgers8–55–2T–2ndW Papajohns.com
2009Rutgers9–43–4T–4thW St. Petersburg
2010Rutgers4–81–68th
2011Rutgers9–44–3T–4thW Pinstripe
Rutgers (Big East):68–6728–48
Rutgers Scarlet Knights (Big Ten Conference) (2020–present)
2020Rutgers3–63–65th (East)
2021Rutgers5–52–5(East)
Rutgers (Big Ten):8–115–11
Total:76–78

Not trying to be funny at all (you succeeded) literally spelling it exactly how it is spelled on the front of the jersey (actually, it was just one jersey) not my fault that your own University can't spell it correctly (wasn't aware the entire University was in charge of proof reading), or, more importantly, did not care that it was spelled incorrectly (who didn't care - the entire University, and if so, how exactly do you know the entire University did not care)?
Entirely inexcusable regardless of ANYTHING you (or anyone else over there) could come back with...literally has NEVER happened anywhere else...that alone speaks volumes!

The mere fact that someone was allowed to wear a jersey with it spelled wrong is truly incredible, and, at the same time, incredibly reflective indeed of the University.

It is even more funny that THIS is the only thing left for an Indinia football "fan" to push back on...that literal football does not matter...then again, maybe that is what is most funny...that the fact that they can't spell the name correctly is less of an embarrassment than the actual performance of the team itself.

Thank goodness no doubt on your end that Vanderbilt is as inept as they are...as it would REALLY suck to be the ONLY team in P5 football to not have a P5 win.

The real story here is how quickly Greg Schiano is getting Rutgers back again. They put a real whuppin' on IU yesterday. Rutgers is 5-5 with games left vs Penn State and Maryland and could easily be bowling again.

2001Rutgers2–90–78th
2002Rutgers1–110–78th
2003Rutgers5–72–57th
2004Rutgers4–71–56th
2010Rutgers4–81–68th
2021Rutgers5–52–5(East)
A story, I agree...but not by any means THE story...THE story remains the most epic reality check in the history of college football...including getting clowned by Rutgers...at home...in a virtually empty stadium (commonplace for Indinia I realize).

Reactions: bonefish1

2001Rutgers2–90–78th
2002Rutgers1–110–78th
2003Rutgers5–72–57th
2004Rutgers4–71–56th
2010Rutgers4–81–68th
2021Rutgers5–52–5(East)
Schiano is going to make Rutgers at least semi competitive again. But yesterday was 100% the result of an IU team that has completely given up on the season. The team that showed up against Cinci or MSU would’ve beaten Rutgers. Yesterday was a no effort, horrible execution embarrassment.

If they don’t discover their pride in the next two weeks, Purdue will have the Bucket secured by half time. And regardless of pride, Karlaftis is gonna have himself a career day.

Schiano is going to make Rutgers at least semi competitive again. But yesterday was 100% the result of an IU team that has completely given up on the season. The team that showed up against Cinci or MSU would’ve beaten Rutgers. Yesterday was a no effort, horrible execution embarrassment.

If they don’t discover their pride in the next two weeks, Purdue will have the Bucket secured by half time. And regardless of pride, Karlaftis is gonna have himself a career day.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict a career day for Horvath.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict a career day for Horvath.
Fair guess considering his last OOB game. I’d actually guess it’d be Bell because even if all the DBs were healthy, Bell gonna Bell. I love Horvath’s game, but if they commit to stopping the run, I think they can because they’ve done more or less well at that most of the year.

There's much more to his raise than just last year's results. People quickly forget that Allen led the Hoosiers to 8 wins and a Gator Bowl berth the year before...

When you factor in he just led the program to two consecutive January bowl games, beat mighty Michigan, mighty MSU, mighty PSU and bruising Wisconsin all in the same season, it's pretty easy to understand the raise he received.

Tom Allen has a legitimate shot at winning 10 games this year. It's money well spent, plus, Indiana is trending towards being a football school. It's all good 👍😌👌!
This aged like milk

Most of you probably don't know this, but Schiano uses a helicopter to recruit. He did it for ten years when he was at Rutgers the first time and that is credited with being one of the foremost reasons for his success. He's now doing it again. It's very impressive for a helicoper to fly in with the Rutgers head coach to a high school football stadium, pick up the recruit and the parents and off they go!

Choppers wouldn't be possible for recruiting at most colleges due to distance. But the NYC area is so densely populated in proximity to Piscataway that it's a short flight with much fanfare.

Chopper me up, Greg

Can anyone watch this and not conclude this guy is a caricature?

It is like a scene from a National Lampoon movie.

LOL. Very inspiring. I bet the players were ready to run through a wall for him after that. Not a real one, but maybe one of those paper walls that cheerleaders make for high school teams to run through.

I’ll give him credit though. It appears as though he did, in fact, break them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B
There's much more to his raise than just last year's results. People quickly forget that Allen led the Hoosiers to 8 wins and a Gator Bowl berth the year before...

When you factor in he just led the program to two consecutive January bowl games, beat mighty Michigan, mighty MSU, mighty PSU and bruising Wisconsin all in the same season, it's pretty easy to understand the raise he received.

Tom Allen has a legitimate shot at winning 10 games this year. It's money well spent, plus, Indiana is trending towards being a football school. It's all good 👍😌👌!!
Correction....When he started the season some of ya'll said he's gonna' run the division, was going to win the Big 10, and would be going to a top Bowl.

Well, I predicted failure for Clappin' Tommy. And, without looking for a large limb to support me, you will see more of the same next season. Your new AD didn't just screw the pooch with Allen, he raped it.

Reactions: SKYDOG and Purdue85
A story, I agree...but not by any means THE story...THE story remains the most epic reality check in the history of college football...including getting clowned by Rutgers...at home...in a virtually empty stadium (commonplace for Indinia I realize).
Are you and Kern County the same person, or are you just non-gendered lovers who sit around the apartment more enthused about IU's failures than Purdue's success?

Are you and Kern County the same person, or are you just non-gendered lovers who sit around the apartment more enthused about IU's failures than Purdue's success?
260edde3-2eb4-45f2-af71-2926a728b1bc-E-doai1WQAkYF9H.jpeg

I get what youre saying, but if you lose the center of youre offense, highly unlikely you will overcome it. Its like when we lost Orton in 2004. We didnt really do well without him.
Losing the 2021 Penix wasn’t a big loss.

He lost a very good DC and replaced him with a piss poor DC who can recruit, probably thinking he (Tom Allen) could cover the deficiencies in his DCs abilities (he can’t)

He promoted from with in for OC and I thought that would get them last year but it’s getting them this year. Question is does TA know enough about offense to hire a good OC and will that OC play ball control so IU can use their defense to win games or want to use the spread

Yet here you are, day after day, futilely arguing that winless IU (in the BiG) is somehow much better than they appear, and that people shouldn’t laugh a little at the ridiculous expectations of your football sleepy fans and the corny catchphrase coach who fooled everyone?

• Haha
Reactions: Courthouse Carp
Honestly, a few months ago I probably would have said that Tom Allen is Indiana's best coach since Bill Mallory. I know that's not the highest bar, but he seemed to be competent and had his players believing.

But, wow, this season has turned into a disaster. It'll be interesting to see where he takes the program from here.

Honestly, a few months ago I probably would have said that Tom Allen is Indiana's best coach since Bill Mallory. I know that's not the highest bar, but he seemed to be competent and had his players believing.

But, wow, this season has turned into a disaster. It'll be interesting to see where he takes the program from here.
Agree. I think next season will be Allen's make or break now. Whatever can be said about 2019 & 2020, they at least bought him time coming off of two 5-7 campaigns. Similarly, I thought this would be Brohm's make or break year and the two big upsets (and honestly a good away effort at OSU) have certainly cooled off his seat considerably.

Agree. I think next season will be Allen's make or break now. Whatever can be said about 2019 & 2020, they at least bought him time coming off of two 5-7 campaigns. Similarly, I thought this would be Brohm's make or break year and the two big upsets (and honestly a good away effort at OSU) have certainly cooled off his seat considerably.
Interesting and intelligent piece on The Rev. Coach Leo by Gregg Doyel, who is way too good to write for the IU Star. (sorry if this has already been posted)

Interesting and intelligent piece on The Rev. Coach Leo by Gregg Doyel, who is way too good to write for the IU Star. (sorry if this has already been posted)
Subscribers only. Can you copy and post like I do with Wall St Journal articles? Thanks.

Entirely inexcusable regardless of ANYTHING you (or anyone else over there) could come back with...literally has NEVER happened anywhere else...that alone speaks volumes!

The mere fact that someone was allowed to wear a jersey with it spelled wrong is truly incredible, and, at the same time, incredibly reflective indeed of the University.

It is even more funny that THIS is the only thing left for an Indinia football "fan" to push back on...that literal football does not matter...then again, maybe that is what is most funny...that the fact that they can't spell the name correctly is less of an embarrassment than the actual performance of the team itself.

Thank goodness no doubt on your end that Vanderbilt is as inept as they are...as it would REALLY suck to be the ONLY team in P5 football to not have a P5 win.
And wasn't essentially an Indinia account that tweeted out the screw up even? That just adds to ineptness.

I still think IU is better than their record, and I think most of the problems stem from poor OL & QB play all year with key injuries playing some level of a factor on defense more recently. But certainly a disappointment. I think IU SHOULD be at 4-5 or 5-4 right now, which would have been right in line with a good season. And anyone confidently predicting IU at 11-1 or 10-2 this year let the number of Ws last year cloud their vision of the product on the field.

Sort of like Purdue was probably much better than their 2019 and 2020 record indicated, because of the unbelievable number of injuries to starters (including QB and All American WR Rondale Moore) in '19, and the Covid injuries in '20.

We've had some injuries this year, but are deeper than in the past so reserves have been able to fill some holes, that couldn't have been filled in '19 or '20.

Regardless...you are what your record is, so after a fun 2018, devastating 2019, frustrating '20...I'm happy to see what most Boilermaker expected in '21 to the #2 hardest SoS.

Sort of like Purdue was probably much better than their 2019 and 2020 record indicated, because of the unbelievable number of injuries to starters (including QB and All American WR Rondale Moore) in '19, and the Covid injuries in '20.

We've had some injuries this year, but are deeper than in the past so reserves have been able to fill some holes, that couldn't have been filled in '19 or '20.

Regardless...you are what your record is, so after a fun 2018, devastating 2019, frustrating '20...I'm happy to see what most Boilermaker expected in '21 to the #2 hardest SoS.
interesting how that works, isn't it?

Brohm is 2-1 vs IU. That lone loss went to double OT, and was with a Purdue roster which was decimated by injury. This on the heels of a complete roster rebuild, which meant there was really no depth.

Yet, IU is to be given a pass due to injury, within a program someone else built.

smh

Reactions: SDBoiler1 and DAG10

Brohm is 2-1 vs IU. That lone loss went to double OT, and was with a Purdue roster which was decimated by injury. This on the heels of a complete roster rebuild, which meant there was really no depth.

Yet, IU is to be given a pass due to injury, within a program someone else built.

smh
Well c’mon their Penix got hurt. Although to be quite honest I didn’t think their Penix was fully erect even when he wasn’t hurt. He looked like he was afraid of getting hurt.

• Haha
Reactions: BCfanatic2020

smh
The fact that Brohm/Purdue won games absent Sindelar AND Moore in '19 was impressive...they had no business even being in that Bucket game, and, they came incredibly close to winning it.

Seeing what happened with Indinia this week, while giving kudos and credit for continuing to compete might be a bit much, the fact that Purdue hung in there and battled the rest of the way does warrant credit for sure...again, more so after watching what Indinia just offered up on Saturday.

Reactions: Purdue85
Fair guess considering his last OOB game. I’d actually guess it’d be Bell because even if all the DBs were healthy, Bell gonna Bell. I love Horvath’s game, but if they commit to stopping the run, I think they can because they’ve done more or less well at that most of the year.
Even against a piss poor team like iu, I still wouldn’t rely on the PU running game.
I think you throw early and often, mix in some play action, feed Bell and basically get iu to quit since they’ve been shown to do that.

Reactions: indyogb and DAG10
After the ACL injury, he was never the same running threat again.
With their OL, and, lack of a running game in general..as well as his own issues with throwing the ball that he had/has...he was not going to be the same threat regardless.

Even against a piss poor team like iu, I still wouldn’t rely on the PU running game.
I think you throw early and often, mix in some play action, feed Bell and basically get iu to quit since they’ve been shown to do that.
Could not agree more...it does not mean that Purdue can't have some success running the ball (more than what they are accustomed to at least), but, it should not be the plan by any means.

After the ACL injury, he was never the same running threat again.
I never really considered him a running threat before the ACL anyway. He just got away with a lot of 50/50 balls last year. Footwork never improved and he has too much confidence in his arm strength (which there is plenty) that leads him to make throws he shouldn't and things snowballed for him quite a bit this year. He wasn't effective at all this season, although he's hardly alone in that respect on the offensive side of the ball.

I never really considered him a running threat before the ACL anyway. He just got away with a lot of 50/50 balls last year. Footwork never improved and he has too much confidence in his arm strength (which there is plenty) that leads him to make throws he shouldn't and things snowballed for him quite a bit this year. He wasn't effective at all this season, although he's hardly alone in that respect on the offensive side of the ball.
Agreed.

his best season was 2 years ago, in which he only averaged about 3.5 rushes per game, and 5.4 yards per carry. was he more elusive? maybe. That can help put pressure on the opposing DBs, which likely inflated his numbers in '19.

Reactions: indyogb and DAG10
Not trying to be funny at all (you succeeded) literally spelling it exactly how it is spelled on the front of the jersey (actually, it was just one jersey) not my fault that your own University can't spell it correctly (wasn't aware the entire University was in charge of proof reading), or, more importantly, did not care that it was spelled incorrectly (who didn't care - the entire University, and if so, how exactly do you know the entire University did not care)?
Holy Rationalization, Batman!!
Are you SURE it was only one jersey?
It’s Indinia, after all… not like you clowns have the market cornered on competence or intelligence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT