ADVERTISEMENT

Want your thoughts on an honest question regarding Tom Allen

IU was relevant for the first time since the 80s. They will likely take a step back but for the first time in a generation, Football isnt an embarassment

Is the IU FB coach worth the new contract with base of $4.9 million or is last year a fluke?

Personally, I think the new AD has just screwed his first pooch.

Reality hits IU FB in 2021.

BIG10 and American Football Coaches Association national coach of the year. Regardless of what he does for the contract, they have seen improvement from traditional IU football results on the field, recruiting and I'm sure the fan base. This contract makes it really hard to poach Allen without some serious $$$. You can argue with some of the wins, like Penn St, but they had national relevance, that exposure is only going to help them.

I'm curious if Penix is healthy. He's a difference maker at QB.

I do not think it is "overpayment" per say. I would argue this is somewhat similar to what Purdue did with Brohm. I do not know IU's finances, but Brohm earned the program his raise in 1 year of football with increased attendance, etc. If you approach it from a pure financial standpoint, it's probably a good move.

The only knock I would say is the contract has this provision:
He will continue to receive an extra year on his contract for every future bowl appearance, at a salary of $100,000 more than the final year of the agreement.

That means you have to win 3 BIG10 games a year with 3 non-conference wins.

Is the IU FB coach worth the new contract with base of $4.9 million or is last year a fluke?

If he lost coach Allen to a higher bidder, he would have been in the doghouse with the fan base. IU people love coach Allen, which you could understand. I hope IU goes south in a hurry in football, but I believe this is the best move for their program.

He may not be worth the money. If he left the year, it would've taken all the momentum out of the program.

Every last one of you were saying reality was gonna hit last year dude lol

IU had a solid season last year regardless of COVID. Coach Allen had them competing and beating solid programs of PSU and WI. They went toe to toe with tO$U late on the game. He is paid and gets market value. They will now face the dilemma that Purdue and all other B1G and other P5 schools do when seasons go sideways and/or step backwards.
I’m not blasting them for what they have done. I’m more concerned what our staff does and if they can bounce back or not.

Reactions: Inspector100
Coaching in his two bowl games leaves a lot to desired. Choked versus Tennessee and lost to Ole Miss’s JV squad.

Didn’t help his cause by telling the world how Ole Miss had success versus his D

Needs to have a big win in non conference that’s not a cupcake.

For someone who preaches LEO his handling of Hendershot was hypocritical.

Couldn’t afford to lose him, much like Purdue couldn’t lose Brohm, but pay increase brings more pressure

Eh, that’s the going rate for a proven P5 Coach. You don’t pay him, someone else will.

Reactions: Sophie1970

IU was decent last year; jury is out until end of 2021 season.

What’s brohms record the last 2 years? What’s Allen’s?

Dude...

How many teams has he beaten with a winning record?

How much has he elevated his program?

How much has he added to revenue, by way of increased gate revenue, etc.?

I could go on, but... "better"...???

I get it with the Brohm agenda....

Tom Allen > Jeff Brohm...? You REALLY want to go there? (please say you're smarter than that)

EDIT: "What’s brohms record the last 2 years? What’s Allen’s?
*emphasis mine*

Dude...

How many teams has he beaten with a winning record?

How much has he elevated his program?

How much has he added to revenue, by way of increased gate revenue, etc.?

I could go on, but... "better"...???

I get it with the Brohm agenda....

Tom Allen > Jeff Brohm...? You REALLY want to go there? (please say you're smarter than that)

EDIT: "What’s brohms record the last 2 years? What’s Allen’s?
*emphasis mine*

allen is 14-7 the last two years. 11-5 in conference

brohm is 6-12 the last two years. 5-10 in conference.

You are what your record says you are. Brohm needs to show up next year.

Who cares? Why are you so obsessed with them? Can you go two days in a row without making a post about iu?

Reactions: Inspector100
Whoever recruits for IU in football, does a good job in deciding who to recruit, and the coaches seem to motivate the players well.

I belive that puts him in the top 20 of all coaches. Is he worth that exalted position?
Is Dak Prescott worth $160 million over 4 years? Of course not. It’s called leverage. He had Jerry over a barrel and everyone knew it.

Same deal here. Better off overpaying for the proven commodity than paying a little less for an unproven one.

Reactions: PDGrand and Poprudy
Is Dak Prescott worth $160 million over 4 years? Of course not. It’s called leverage. He had Jerry over a barrel and everyone knew it.

Same deal here. Better off overpaying for the proven commodity than paying a little less for an unproven one.
No, he's not. Nor is Allen worth it, nor has Brohm proven to be worth his salary yet. NOR....is the coach of my Chicago Bears who should be gone.

I wouldn't have paid Allen the big bucks until after 2021 if he was able to put together another top 20 season. I love him as the HC and hope he stays long term, but those $$$ come with high expectations they're going to struggle to hit, IMO. Last year was lots of fun, but too much reliance on huge plays on offense & a defense playing out of its mind with all the turnovers created.

You sure do stretch it don't you. Legit question as I've stated here that I think Brohm is overpaid as well.
Not even remotely a stretch. You post two topics, either something about iu or your dislike of Brohm and wanting him fired.

I wouldn't have paid Allen the big bucks until after 2021 if he was able to put together another top 20 season. I love him as the HC and hope he stays long term, but those $$$ come with high expectations they're going to struggle to hit, IMO. Last year was lots of fun, but too much reliance on huge plays on offense & a defense playing out of its mind with all the turnovers created.
Flip side is if Allen has another winning season, then his price goes way up. Especially for a guy that has coached in the SEC.

Reactions: TMFT

I think most coaches are over paid but so are many other people in a lot of professions.I dont want to argue about who is making too much money and who isnt because its a pointless argument that can go on forever.

allen is 14-7 the last two years. 11-5 in conference

brohm is 6-12 the last two years. 5-10 in conference.

You are what your record says you are. Brohm needs to show up next year.

You're not always what your record says you are.

Brohm is going to have to justify his employment with his bosses. That's on him. He'll either succeed or fail, based on those conversations and expectations.

You're not always what your record says you are.

Brohm is going to have to justify his employment with his bosses. That's on him. He'll either succeed or fail, based on those conversations and expectations.
Given Bobinski's most recent GBI interview, i got the distinct impression he was happy with the state of affairs last year.

I think Brohm's buyout forces Bobinskis hand for at least 2 more years.

Agree with this to a large extent.

I also think he needs to start showing he can win games he's not supposed to, while continuing to secure those expected W's.

Coaches become attractive to other programs as they begin to show excitement and enthusiasm in the program, along with anything the appears like positive results. Thus, the big time contracts.

In other words, it's easy for idiots like us to sit in judgement when big money is thrown at coaches like Brohm and Allen. I've come to believe it's simply the world in which we live.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMFT and Matt Tiger
Given Bobinski's most recent GBI interview, i got the distinct impression he was happy with the state of affairs last year.

I think Brohm's buyout forces Bobinskis hand for at least 2 more years.

Could be, but I don't think he was happy. I think he's playing the long game and knows this is a process in which patience is required. I wouldn't want to be in Bobinski's shoes, that's for sure.

The next 9 months are going to be interesting... the results on the field, and the (recruiting) results off the field.

Could be, but I don't think he was happy. I think he's playing the long game and knows this is a process in which patience is required. I wouldn't want to be in Bobinski's shoes, that's for sure.

The next 9 months are going to be interesting... the results on the field, and the (recruiting) results off the field.
Typo, i meant to say he wasnt happy.

Reactions: Purdue85
There's much more to his raise than just last year's results. People quickly forget that Allen led the Hoosiers to 8 wins and a Gator Bowl berth the year before...

When you factor in he just led the program to two consecutive January bowl games, beat mighty Michigan, mighty MSU, mighty PSU and bruising Wisconsin all in the same season, it's pretty easy to understand the raise he received.

Tom Allen has a legitimate shot at winning 10 games this year. It's money well spent, plus, Indiana is trending towards being a football school. It's all good 👍😌👌!!

There's much more to his raise than just last year's results. People quickly forget that Allen led the Hoosiers to 8 wins and a Gator Bowl berth the year before...

When you factor in he just led the program to two consecutive January bowl games, beat mighty Michigan, mighty MSU, mighty PSU and bruising Wisconsin all in the same season, it's pretty easy to understand the raise he received.

Tom Allen has a legitimate shot at winning 10 games this year. It's money well spent, plus, Indiana is trending towards being a football school. It's all good 👍😌👌!!
But Allen also has a better than average chance of not winning 10. The man just got his first HC job, and it's apparent that no one else other than Glass was willing to give him a shot. Personally, I think he's been lucky. We'll see.

Reactions: Purdue85
But Allen also has a better than average chance of not winning 10. The man just got his first HC job, and it's apparent that no one else other than Glass was willing to give him a shot. Personally, I think he's been lucky. We'll see.
Tom is 11-4 in his last 15 Big Ten games...Lucky? No, not really when considering his star QB keeps getting hurt. I would say Tom would probably have at least two or three more wins these last two years if Penix stayed healthy.

You're refusing to accept that tremendous progress has been made. I don't know what else to say.

Reactions: Purdue 95
Tom is 11-4 in his last 15 Big Ten games...Lucky? No, not really when considering his star QB keeps getting hurt. I would say Tom would probably have at least two or three more wins these last two years if Penix stayed healthy.

You're refusing to accept that tremendous progress has been made. I don't know what else to say.

you have a tough sell.

What most reasonable people realize (and recognize) is that IU is improved under Allen.

Those same reasonable people also realize (and recognize) that IU still is not beating teams with winning records. Until Allen starts winning games against really strong teams, you're going to have to live with the fact that other people just won't validate that ... "tremendous progress" ... and that there really is nothing else to say.

Reactions: Riveting
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT