ADVERTISEMENT

VCU is going to be a problem

I would agree. We seem to have a lot of guys who have good fundamentals, we just are never loaded with really good athletes across the board and then we often struggle with teams that are more athletic.
Absolutely !!
We need to "load up" with more "really good athletes across the board" !!
I'm sick and tired of the embarrassment of being one defensive rebound away from 3 straight B10 Championships. This Painter guy better shape up !!

There's a difference between just surviving a press (Painter's approach) and attacking a press.
Absolutely !! And, you'd think Painter would be smart enough to realize that !!!
That's where YOU come in.....call the Basketball Office @ (765) 494-3811 and set up an appointment to
explain the difference to Coach P !! No doubt he'll be grateful !!

Still didn't answer the question of why we had so many talking about how athletic we were just a few weeks before play started. Aaron, Emmanuel, Eric and Haarms were mentioned in particular. Just because we lose a few early games, doesn't mean we are not athletic. What about when a team like VCU plays Texas? Both are athletic, but you know one is going to lose the game. Doesn't take away they are both athletic and good teams as well. Marquette ended up beating us, because we stopped playing aggressive and we lost focus.

I wouldn't include Dow regardless of how athletic he is. He's might be a great athlete, but he doesn't have the experience to translate that onto the court at the D1 level.
Aaron, really good athlete.
Haarms, pretty good athlete and has good feet for his size. Certainly not a stiff like a lot of other 7 footers.
Eric? I'd consider him an average athlete.
I think we're more athletic compared to other Purdue teams, but overall, I don't this team is exceptionally athletic.
IMHO, where we've been hurt in the past is late in games, especially in the tourney, when you're playing good competition, where you're playing possession by possession and the other team just has guys who are a little quicker, can jump a little higher, can keep balls alive, win the 50/50 balls, can break down defenders and get their own shot.

I would like to hear your take on athleticism and what it is and is not. To say that Kramer is not athletic is a bit of a show stopper for me, same with Ray. Both are outstanding athletes. Shutting down the opposing teams best player at the high D1 level requires supreme athleticism.

I didn't say neither was athletic. I said neither was a great athlete. They were both physical and as long as the refs let them play that way, they were great defenders. I don't think you have to be a great athlete to be a really good defender. Mathias became a good defender but he wasn't athletic.
But, I'd rather trade more offensive fire power than a great defender if I had to choose.

Absolutely !!
I'm sick and tired of the embarrassment of being one defensive rebound away from 3 straight B10 Championships. This Painter guy better shape up !!

And yet we're going on 40 years without a trip to the Final Four. You don't get to hang a banner for coming close....
B10 Championships only matter in the midwest.

Absolutely !!

Yeah, I'm really not sure how much more length we can get? Here are our starters.

PG - 6'6"
SG - 6'2"
SG - 6'5"
PF/SF - 6'9" with over 7' wingspan
C - 7'3"

You're not going to find many longer teams in NCAA basketball anywhere. Length is not an issue. We're a mismatch for many teams from that perspective...

Reactions: Schnelk
Cline's ability to break down the defender and get to the rim?
Did you see anyone press us, like, I recall Iowa tried. You couldn't have seen any games if that is your reply. We were one of the most efficient offenses in the nation.

Did you see anyone press us, like, I recall Iowa tried. You couldn't have seen any games if that is your reply. We were one of the most efficient offenses in the nation.

Take it easy Francis. I was kidding. The reasons we didn't get pressed is because Carsen was a one man fast break who could beat a press by himself and then cause all sorts of problems.

Take it easy Francis. I was kidding. The reasons we didn't get pressed is because Carsen was a one man fast break who could beat a press by himself and then cause all sorts of problems.
Nojel taller then their guard, Matt at mid court or standing under the basket, along with Cline ready to hit a long range shot. So I would say they were taught well and had the talent.

Nojel taller then their guard, Matt at mid court or standing under the basket, along with Cline ready to hit a long range shot. So I would say they were taught well and had the talent.

it was Miller Time!

ToddSpence_C4C11_ItsMillerTime_grande.jpg

Reactions: beenther1s
And yet we're going on 40 years without a trip to the Final Four. You don't get to hang a banner for coming close....
B10 Championships only matter in the midwest.
B10 football championships only matter in the Midwest. In the event we get one in the next 15 years....
Don't forget to diminish its significance, given that we probably wouldn't be qualifying for a 4-team BCS playoff.....

No banner/No big deal...….

I saw in one of your posts that VCU is long and athletic? I looked at their roster and you have I believe 3 players over 6'5" . If you think that is long, what do you feel about Purdue? For the record, I am not trying to say VCU will not be quick and great on defense, becasue I know better, but in regards to height, it doesn't seem VCU is very tall at all.
Long? Well. we have a decent bench, play 10 guys so maybe that’s what I meant by long? We certainly don’t have a ton of height:)
Some guys have some wingspan and player positioning, anticipation and being relatively old makes up for an inch or few, so there’s that?
We’ll have to tighten up some based on tonight’s game it like we get a lead and lose some focus. We get a little sloppy or start some 1on 1 crap. I don’t think that’s going to work against better teams like you all. They know that too so we’ll just have to see how it goes Friday.
I hope the refs leave it alone. don’t start off calling ticky tack stuff, let the guys play. And guys, don’t do sh*t to make the refs think they have to step in!
Can’t wait, going to be good!

Reactions: lovelyblonde
Yeah !! If Painter would only teach principles of breaking a press like YOU HAVE....
Son of a gun......last year's NCAA Coach of the year - voted by the COACHES....to go along with his 4 B10 COY awards.....and can't figure this out....

We'll give Matt a call...….see if he can get the A.D. to approve the $$'s for your new position as " Press " Coach...
Good luck !!
There's a difference between just surviving a press (Painter's approach) and attacking a press.
Haarms needs touches every possession. He might have a big game.

Long? Well. we have a decent bench, play 10 guys so maybe that’s what I meant by long? We certainly don’t have a ton of height:)
Some guys have some wingspan and player positioning, anticipation and being relatively old makes up for an inch or few, so there’s that?
We’ll have to tighten up some based on tonight’s game it like we get a lead and lose some focus. We get a little sloppy or start some 1on 1 crap. I don’t think that’s going to work against better teams like you all. They know that too so we’ll just have to see how it goes Friday.
I hope the refs leave it alone. don’t start off calling ticky tack stuff, let the guys play. And guys, don’t do sh*t to make the refs think they have to step in!
Can’t wait, going to be good!

Yes, it should be a great game.

Absolutely !! And, you'd think Painter would be smart enough to realize that !!!
That's where YOU come in.....call the Basketball Office @ (765) 494-3811 and set up an appointment to
explain the difference to Coach P !! No doubt he'll be grateful !!
Rut Roh - you're treading in deep water here for getting called condescending and egotistical.

I wouldn't include Dow regardless of how athletic he is. He's might be a great athlete, but he doesn't have the experience to translate that onto the court at the D1 level.
Aaron, really good athlete.
Haarms, pretty good athlete and has good feet for his size. Certainly not a stiff like a lot of other 7 footers.
Eric? I'd consider him an average athlete.
I think we're more athletic compared to other Purdue teams, but overall, I don't this team is exceptionally athletic.
IMHO, where we've been hurt in the past is late in games, especially in the tourney, when you're playing good competition, where you're playing possession by possession and the other team just has guys who are a little quicker, can jump a little higher, can keep balls alive, win the 50/50 balls, can break down defenders and get their own shot.
I like the guys that are redshirting this year coming in next year to complement the returning players and competing for a B10 championship
I think CMP knows Exactly what he’s doing bye not wasting their first year of eligibility when they could be terrific for your players to complement the group coming in next year. I see what it has done for the University of Dayton here in Ohio. We have season tickets for the Dayton Flyers Season Tickets really great to see you what these “guys” are capable of. They have done it for a transfers and “getting old” with Coach Grant’s players, Since Archie Miller’s players were just not quite good enough. Let the team get a little bit older and see what he does Boilermakers can do next year and the years to come in consecutive seasons

With the "D" that this team plays, we should be in most every game from this point on. Taking down an undefeated ranked opponent. We're seeing the growth I thought we'd see. Still not worried about those early games. Big win!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT