ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Witt

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
Sounds like he is a real road grader. But maybe a bit concerning to read that a WKU transfer is our strongest guy in the OL room. I realize he's like 23 years old, but how much time are Brohm's OL recruits who have been here 2-3 years now spending in the weight room?

Sounds like he is a real road grader. But maybe a bit concerning to read that a WKU transfer is our strongest guy in the OL room. I realize he's like 23 years old, but how much time are Brohm's OL recruits who have been here 2-3 years now spending in the weight room?
Ive said it before, i dont think the prior S&C staffs did well with linemen. Lets hope the new additions improve that.

It seems to me that there are two types of players. Those that actively seek to get better (and these are usually already the better players) and the ones that barely tolerate strength and conditioning and do as little as possible. You'll always have players that want to do the minimum, but you can raise what the minimum is. Look at our best players, they continue to practice after practice is officially over.

Reactions: DAG10
It seems to me that there are two types of players. Those that actively seek to get better (and these are usually already the better players) and the ones that barely tolerate strength and conditioning and do as little as possible. You'll always have players that want to do the minimum, but you can raise what the minimum is. Look at our best players, they continue to practice after practice is officially over.
What's between the ears can be a big differentiator, at this level everyone has requisite natural ability. You can't just show up, do the minimum, and let genetics carry you like in high school. Some recruits have a head start on others talent-wise, but after several years in a program it is the guys putting in the work that are going to rise to the top. Tiller and Spack were notorious for taking lesser talented guys and developing them. Haven't seen as much of that since. I don't know if that has more to do with the day-to-day operations of the program or if it is a matter of recruiting guys who have that 'x factor'. Probably a combination of both. My biggest concern of these highly rated recruits of last few classes is did we get enough guys who bring that mindset along with the advertised talent. Based on some of the departures we can be sure that some did not.

Last edited:
What's between the ears can be a big differentiator, at this level everyone has requisite natural ability. You can't just show up, do the minimum, and let genetics carry you like in high school. Some recruits have a head start on others talent-wise, but after several years in a program it is the guys putting in the work that are going to rise to the top. Tiller and Spack were notorious for taking lesser talented guys and developing them. Haven't seen as much of that since. I don't know if that has more to do with the day-to-day operations of the program or if it is a matter of recruiting guys who have that 'x factor'. Probably a combination of both. My biggest concern of these highly rated recruits of last few classes is did we get enough guys who bring that mindset along with the advertised talent. Based on some of the departures we can be sure that some did not.
Id be curious to know if Brohm does the personality test thing like Painter does.

Let's say 2 guys are equally dedicated in the weight room and weigh within 5-10 pounds of each other. One is, say 23, the other 21. Im guessing the 23 year old guy is going to out lift the 21 year old a high % of the time.

Let's say 2 guys are equally dedicated in the weight room and weigh within 5-10 pounds of each other. One is, say 23, the other 21. Im guessing the 23 year old guy is going to out lift the 21 year old a high % of the time.
I would agree in general, but that % should vary depending on the starting point for each guy. The 3 or 4 star guy presumably was stronger to begin with or maybe had a better frame than the 2 star guy.

I would agree in general, but that % should vary depending on the starting point for each guy. The 3 or 4 star guy presumably was stronger to begin with or maybe had a better frame than the 2 star guy.
I dont think that is the correct assumption. Hartwig was a 4 star and strength is an issue with him.

Maturity goes a long way toward sheer strength. Talent comes in with mobility, flexibility, explosion, etc.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER

I dont know, some guys are just beasts in the weight room. Alfred Armour was squatting over 600lbs and he was a walkon RB/FB. Ole Charlie Speigal is known to throw around some weight as well.

I'd be more taken aback if Witt was a couple of years younger. Sounds like a good get.

Reactions: FirstDownB
Ive said it before, i dont think the prior S&C staffs did well with linemen. Lets hope the new additions improve that.

we got a new s and c guy? The lsst One sucked. Eric Miller still looks like Garrett Miller ... and not the good one

If we were recruiting only 6’-6”, 320 lb four star OL, this wouldn’t be an issue.

• Haha
Reactions: Purdue85
I dont think that is the correct assumption. Hartwig was a 4 star and strength is an issue with him.

Maturity goes a long way toward sheer strength. Talent comes in with mobility, flexibility, explosion, etc.
100% agree with this. Maturity as a football player can and usually takes longer to get stronger in the trenches. Lawrence was the overall biggest guy on Snider's D-line but Zach McDowell was by far the strongest and Lawrence paid dividends from it.

I would argue that Gus had the frame though. That is where S&C comes in. How much strength has he added since day 1 on campus?

If you haven't seen the GB video of Witt i encourage all to do so.
I thought the part where he credited his high school S&C program for his strength/gains was interesting. Makes you wonder what kind of ROI we are seeing on all this new multi million dollar training equipment and facilities.

I would argue that Gus had the frame though. That is where S&C comes in. How much strength has he added since day 1 on campus?
No info on that. THey have said he still has strength issues.

I thought the part where he credited his high school S&C program for his strength/gains was interesting. Makes you wonder what kind of ROI we are seeing on all this new multi million dollar training equipment and facilities.
Guy has been on campus a month and a half. Why would he credit the current staff for the strength he gained up to the point of enrollment?

Guy has been on campus a month and a half. Why would he credit the current staff for the strength he gained up to the point of enrollment?
You missed my point. A guy who was essentially self made out of a Joliet high school gym comes in as the strongest lineman over guys who have been working with fancy equipment and trainers. That is the question of ROI. Seems like a recruiting tool and nothing more.

You missed my point. A guy who was essentially self made out of a Joliet high school gym comes in as the strongest lineman over guys who have been working with fancy equipment and trainers. That is the question of ROI. Seems like a recruiting tool and nothing more.
Ah i see. Again, i think that has to do with age. He is 23. Hartwig is 19. Holstege is 20. Jornigan is 20. etc.

Are we at the point of writing off the older OL from the ‘17 and ‘18 classes?
They have been recruited over.

Strickford - backup
Smart - graduated
Jackson - gone
Beach - Done with football
Washington - backup

Allen - neve enrolled
MIller - Might start at RT in 2022. Behind Long
McKenna - Deep bench.
Bramel - Injury issues.

Craig - Starter (LT)
Holstege - Likely Starter (LG)
Monnot - Backup
Jornigan - Starter last year. Likely Rotation guy

Hartwig - Starter
Bycznski - Developing
Kaltenberger - Developing
Fox - Developing

They have been recruited over.

Strickford - backup
Smart - graduated
Jackson - gone
Beach - Done with football
Washington - backup

Allen - neve enrolled
MIller - Might start at RT in 2022. Behind Long
McKenna - Deep bench.
Bramel - Injury issues.
And now we’ve come full circle. What does it say about our development of OL when 3 star frosh and soph, who by the arguments above haven’t had enough time in the weight room, and 2 star transfers are ahead of 3 star juniors and seniors? I realize some of that is injury, but not all.

And now we’ve come full circle. What does it say about our development of OL when 3 star frosh and soph, who by the arguments above haven’t had enough time in the weight room, and 2 star transfers are ahead of 3 star juniors and seniors? I realize some of that is injury, but not all.
You have to remember, it takes 6 years to develop an OL. The first 3 to not develop anyone, and then 3 more to start developing. Just the way it works.

• Haha
Reactions: purduepat1969
Just getting a bit frustrated with OL development. Specifically, I remember when Bramel and McKenna committed. It was a sign that our new staff had turned a corner in filling the OL pipeline with talent. They were our #5 and #6 recruits in the 2018 class based on composite ranking. In fact, I would argue that on paper OL was the strongest recruited position in that class behind WR. Maybe the prior year 2017 class also.

You have to remember, it takes 6 years to develop an OL. The first 3 to not develop anyone, and then 3 more to start developing. Just the way it works.
Seriously speaking, perhaps a reason to stick with a coach through a contract to allow them to develop players in the most critical position?
I’ve always believed (going to school in Wisky during the early Alvarez years) that O-line was the most critical position. He had average QBs and RBs that were average NFL players at best. But in college the O-line made them shine

I hate when people hold star ratings up in these conversations as if they matter once you get on campus. Especially the difference between a 2 and a 3 star. Especially with offensive linemen. Unless they are a 4/5 star it really doesnt matter to me. Some of the older OL guys not panning out is concerning but not because a guy with 40+ games of starter experience coming in is making an impact, or is better than them. Last year Ball State had an olineman drafted to the colts with plenty of P5 guys who started getting taken after or not at all, talent is all around

I hate when people hold star ratings up in these conversations as if they matter once you get on campus. Especially the difference between a 2 and a 3 star. Especially with offensive linemen. Unless they are a 4/5 star it really doesnt matter to me. Some of the older OL guys not panning out is concerning but not because a guy with 40+ games of starter experience coming in is making an impact, or is better than them. Last year Ball State had an olineman drafted to the colts with plenty of P5 guys who started getting taken after or not at all, talent is all around
I agree that star rankings aren't the end all. But let me ask you a question.. how did you feel about the OL recruits in our 2017 and 2018 classes at the time? Based on not only their recruiting rankings, but by other offers, etc. What were your expectations for their development? Were you under the impression they would be nothing more than backups on an average Oline by their junior and senior years or that there would be 2-3 starters from that group on a solid Oline that could control a line of scrimmage?

I agree that star rankings aren't the end all. But let me ask you a question.. how did you feel about the OL recruits in our 2017 and 2018 classes at the time? Based on not only their recruiting rankings, but by other offers, etc. What were your expectations for their development? Were you under the impression they would be nothing more than backups on an average Oline by their junior and senior years or that there would be 2-3 starters from that group on a solid Oline that could control a line of scrimmage?
It’s definitely a concern that we haven’t solidified up front and gotten old in that respect. I just don’t think the fact that Tyler Witt could be our best o-linemen is concerning, or that certain 2 stars are playing over 3 stars etc.

It’s definitely a concern that we haven’t solidified up front and gotten old in that respect. I just don’t think the fact that Tyler Witt could be our best o-linemen is concerning, or that certain 2 stars are playing over 3 stars etc.
Those things on their own aren't concerning. If those 2 stars were all conference candidates and the Oline was rock solid, the relative significance of Witt being our strongest lineman or the fact that SOME 3 or 4 stars have not physically developed as hoped would take on an entirely different context. But the bar ain't that high right now. We've got a 'throw the ball on 4th and inches' Oline, unless things have changed dramatically in the past few months.

Lol, wut. Ive seen strongest mentioned with Witt, not best. Word is Craig is the best when healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT