ADVERTISEMENT

MA in the Portal

Guessing a better program with a little more money, we’ll see where she ends up. No doubt it sucks.
Virtually no one has money on the women's side. Shaq provides for LSU, but only after they've proven their worth. That's about it. The rest at most get pizza money

Virtually no one has money on the women's side. Shaq provides for LSU, but only after they've proven their worth. That's about it. The rest at most get pizza money
I dont know about that. I have seen posts of players seeking $100k at various schools. Jayla talked about getting a check at an event earlier this season.

I dont think NIL is the case with Stevenson but for some programs like Indiana where their men have more money than anything. Id be shocked if their women didnt have some kind of funds.

Like I said on another thread. I think its a massive problem for Purdue but dont know whos to blame or how to fix it.

My guess is a bigger program came knocking on the door with a bigger bag. We’ll see where she ends up, it will be interesting.
I agree....she got a better offer or a better situation. Whatever the reason....I wish her the best. If she didn't want to be at Purdue then she should leave. It is very disappointing though.

I can't see how any of the new transfers coming in had anything to do with it. She was pretty much a lock for as many minutes as she could handle.

Got my fingers crossed for Bass now but Mike Carmin didn't seem real optimistic. He seemed to think some others might be offering more than Purdue can.

Last edited:
Reactions: tomgloe
I agree....she got a better offer or a better situation. Whatever the reason....I wish her the best. If she didn't want to be at Purdue then she should leave.

I can't see how any of the new transfers coming in had anything to do with it. She was pretty much a lock for as many minutes as she could handle.

Got my fingers crossed for Bass now but Mike Carmin didn't seem real optimistic. He seemed to think some others might be offering more than Purdue can.
Thanks for the insight on Bass, hadn't heard that before. We were going after Bass before MA left, makes you wonder if CKG will try for two post portal players now.

Another good point was brought up on gold&black, the team morale. Have to think it's a bit down seeing one of their leaders leave. Who steps into that vocal leadership role now?

Not if you have a coach that knows how to play it right. IU hasn’t had 1 transfer and they just added a former Tenn veteran post that actually makes up for a team’s deficiency due to loss of a graduated player. Makes me sick to see the team down south, led by a former boiler, do everything the right way.
I admire the IU program too. Teri Moren is a good coach. But let's not pretend the transfer from Tennessee is a big recruiting coup. I think she averaged 7 points and 3 rebounds after 3 years. I doubt the new Tennessee coach is crying about her leaving.

IU will probably be a good team next year also but they do have a huge hole right in the middle to fill. Holmes was a hell of a player. They also lost that little sharp shooter Sara Scalia.

For those that haven't seen it. Mike Carmin posted a nice zoom interview with Mahri Petree a day or two ago. It's worth a watch (25 min.). Seems like a very nice young lady with a good head on her shoulders. I think she'll be a nice depth piece. Maybe she'll pick up some of the leadership we just lost.

This isn't true. I have season tickets to a MAC school near me. They finished near the bottom of their league and even they had a starting guard (who wasn't anything to write home about) with an NIL deal. Her picture is on a billboard and went out on mailers for a local company. If someone like that is getting money, Stevenson is without a doubt getting money.

I will add that some players (no idea if this is Stevenson; given her family, I would guess not) are transferring out of programs because they have a need for the money due to being taxed for what they made this year. How could this be? It's taxable but not subject to withholding. We're talking about people that probably never even filed a return. Maybe the player didn't even get paid much or anything, but got a car or something. Now they have to pay taxes on it and don't have any money.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerRingside
The current make up of our roster next year just doesn’t make sense.

Guards/wings
Amiyah/Poole/Spider/Smith
Swanson/Lombardi/Petree/Layden

Harper/Puryear

How do you keep those EIGHT players happy and good luck with that post lineup!

Whew. Just really bad.

Reactions: Brya31
I admire the IU program too. Teri Moren is a good coach. But let's not pretend the transfer from Tennessee is a big recruiting coup. I think she averaged 7 points and 3 rebounds after 3 years. I doubt the new Tennessee coach is crying about her leaving.

IU will probably be a good team next year also but they do have a huge hole right in the middle to fill. Holmes was a hell of a player. They also lost that little sharp shooter Sara Scalia.

Also just added Ciezki who averaged 11.5 ppg at PSU

Last edited:
We don’t have 1 player returning that has an average double figures in any season of their collegiate careers.

So… safe to say we are in a much bigger bind.
I think it's safe to say we will after this coming season. Lol. Somebody will step up.

I'm not near as worried about scoring as I am rebounding. It was bad enough losing Jeanae Terry's rebounding....now Stevenson is gone too. Getting Bass would help big time. She averaged close to ten a game last year. That tells me she has a nose and desire to get the ball.

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say we will after this coming season. Lol. Somebody will step up.

I'm not near as worried about scoring as I am rebounding. It was bad enough losing Jeanae Terry's rebounding....now Stevenson is gone too. Getting Bass would help big time. She averaged close to ten a game last year. That tells me she has a nose and desire to get the ball.
I think Amiyah(being a bigger guard), Puryear, and Lombard could be other newcomers who will help in the rebounding department.

Where did you come up with that? Buechers made around 1 million last year, there’s money, expand your mind, this isn’t 1980 anymore, girls have some clout, hell, the women’s title game had more viewers than the guys game did.

Reactions: HoopDad317
Where did you come up with that? Buechers made around 1 million last year, there’s money, expand your mind, this isn’t 1980 anymore, girls have some clout, hell, the women’s title game had more viewers than the guys game did.
Buechers was making bank as a "social influencer" before she ever signed to go to UConn in the mid 6 figure range. Same with the twins that went to Miami. But yes, the all Americans at traditional powers get paid some.

Last edited:
Buechers was making bank as a "social influencer" before she ever signed toure UConn in the mid 6 figure range. Same with the twins that went to Miami. But yes, the all Americans at traditional powers get paid some.
My point is, these girls are making money, a better program brings better opportunities for that. My buddies daughter who plays D-1 is making money, granted not a ton but more than Ice Cream money. Stevenson will get paid, obviously not like the guys but I’d imagine more than chump change, times have changed, these aren’t the Old Gold Free Press days of the late 90’s. I agree that so far Purdue’s portal moves are head scratchers, like I told you I saw enough of Terry last year, next year might feature 2 of them as starters, that’s not for me. Anyways, Purdue needs to land 1 maybe 2 bigs now, will they, we’ll see. No way Harper starts on a Big Ten team that hopes to be competitive.

Reactions: Gesysp
My point is, these girls are making money, a better program brings better opportunities for that. My buddies daughter who plays D-1 is making money, granted not a ton but more than Ice Cream money. Stevenson will get paid, obviously not like the guys but I’d imagine more than chump change, times have changed, these aren’t the Old Gold Free Press days of the late 90’s. I agree that so far Purdue’s portal moves are head scratchers, like I told you I saw enough of Terry last year, next year might feature 2 of them as starters, that’s not for me. Anyways, Purdue needs to land 1 maybe 2 bigs now, will they, we’ll see. No way Harper starts on a Big Ten team that hopes to be competitive.
Right now, I believe Terry would be one of the top three players if she was playing next year. I told you she would be missed.

There are a pair of posts just in the portal from UWisc that didn't play much last year, they'd fit right in with the last two years quality of incoming transfers. Beyond that, I doubt we see any incoming posts as it's getting late in the process.

Right now, I believe Terry would be one of the top three players if she was playing next year. I told you she would be missed.

There are a pair of posts just in the portal from UWisc that didn't play much last year, they'd fit right in with the last two years quality of incoming transfers. Beyond that, I doubt we see any incoming posts as it's getting late in the process.
You also told me that Purdue wasn’t going to get involved in the portal, as for her being missed Purdue can go 13-18 without her. It looks like they might have 2 similar players to her next year, I simply won’t watch much if that’s the case, that offensive was brutal, maybe it was Coach more than Terry, beginning to wonder? Also, like I said, Terry was fine as a 15 minute a game player, 35-40 minutes was/is ridiculous.

You also told me that Purdue wasn’t going to get involved in the portal, as for her being missed Purdue can go 13-18 without her. It looks like they might have 2 similar players to her next year, I simply won’t watch much if that’s the case, that offensive was brutal, maybe it was Coach more than Terry, beginning to wonder? Also, like I said, Terry was fine as a 15 minute a game player, 35-40 minutes was/is ridiculous.
I said I did not think they would, but I never said they absolutely would not. Frankly for what they have landed, its not much different than not getting anyone.

We were a mediocre at best team, you kept expecting performances on par with the men's top 5 level, and the women's program is years if not decades away from that, depending on coaching progressions. Terry was overall the best player on the team, and now the starters are all gone and only two to three of the bench players look passably decent. Next year is likely to be quite ugly all around on the women's side.

I said I did not think they would, but I never said they absolutely would not. Frankly for what they have landed, its not much different than not getting anyone.

We were a mediocre at best team, you kept expecting performances on par with the men's top 5 level, and the women's program is years if not decades away from that, depending on coaching progressions. Terry was overall the best player on the team, and now the starters are all gone and only two to three of the bench players look passably decent. Next year is likely to be quite ugly all around on the women's side.
I agree with that except I don’t think Purdue’s women is on the men’s level, I just think they should strive to be better. A top 25-35 program seems like a goal, this year looks like a pipe dream, I’m sorry I expect more than a lower tier Big Ten team. Purdue’s women if they win would be supported big time by fans, tough to watch a team that has an offensive plan that looks like high school ball. Right now I expect another season of less than mediocre, it doesn’t need to be like that.

I agree with that except I don’t think Purdue’s women is on the men’s level, I just think they should strive to be better. A top 25-35 program seems like a goal, this year looks like a pipe dream, I’m sorry I expect more than a lower tier Big Ten team. Purdue’s women if they win would be supported big time by fans, tough to watch a team that has an offensive plan that looks like high school ball. Right now I expect another season of less than mediocre, it doesn’t need to be like that.
Well when the administration basically ignores the program for 2 decades, this is what you get. If they had any intent of being a top 50 level program, Katie Gearlds would not be the head coach. We are in the 60-100+ range at the moment and any real hope we had to get above that has pretty much been crushed in this portal season. IF as you say NIL is in play that hard in women's ball, there is really no chance for Purdue to get to a top 25 team, because the money is not and will not be there for that. What we run IS IN FACT A HIGH SCHOOL OFFENSE. It was brought in by Sharon Versyp as the only offense she ever coached and she learned it at Benton Central High School.... It is the only offense Gearlds has ever coached. Keeping our coaching hire "In the family" has only perpetuated this sub-standard offense and its an albatross around this teams neck until it or the coach changes.

I find it interesting that there hasn’t been a farewell social media post from her yet. Once that’s released it usually means there’s pretty much no chance of them returning and good bye.

So maybe there is a chance she could return.

Reactions: jbvazq234
I was talking with a friend this morning who said she received a JPC thank you call on the giving day from Stevenson talking about her future at Purdue (mine was from a very nice swimmer).

I have to think something significant happened to change her tone that much in just 48 hours. My guess is tampering from a bigger program.

I was talking with a friend this morning who said she received a JPC thank you call on the giving day from Stevenson talking about her future at Purdue (mine was from a very nice swimmer).

I have to think something significant happened to change her tone that much in just 48 hours. My guess is tampering from a bigger program.
Man I hope you’re right on this hunch - not that I like the thought of tampering - it stinks - but it’s better than some fallout or chemistry issue being the cause.

Regardless, it’s disappointing as I have high hopes that CKG is/can build an environment similar to Painter where the combo of “adequate” NIL+culture is enough to keep good players at Purdue.

Yeah this departure stings…

If it's tampering, there is no chance for Purdue to ever win big again in women's basketball. Because that means someone brought so much money for a 9 point 7 rebound player that she couldn't refuse. How much more will they spend if Swanson averages 15+ ppg next year? There is no hope for Purdue to keep any good players we get if this was tampering and they might as well give up college athletics altogether.

Can’t find her HS recruiting page. What were the other schools she was considering at that time? Seems odd timing for sure.

Dub-Saw a post you made this morning, a few minutes after you made it, and you said it looked lik MA was going to Stanford. Did you delete that? Cannot find it now. Sorry, cannot see her going to Stanford. While she is good in the Big Ten, I don’t find her to be a Stanford caliber player. Any word on who else is trying to get her?

I agree, she had a good freshman season, but she will most likely have a lot of bench time at a top 5 program. Kind of funny when you look back at how she and her family gushed about how thrilled she was to be “committing” to Purdue. “On cloud 9”, lol. Went on and on about it on social media when she “committed” to the “program that kept me smiling through the entire process”. Those always searching for the next best thing will forever be searching. Time to move on from her and keep building this program with those who know what commitment truly means.

I agree, she had a good freshman season, but she will most likely have a lot of bench time at a top 5 program. Kind of funny when you look back at how she and her family gushed about how thrilled she was to be “committing” to Purdue. “On cloud 9”, lol. Went on and on about it on social media when she “committed” to the “program that kept me smiling through the entire process”. Those always searching for the next best thing will forever be searching. Time to move on from her and keep building this program with those who know what commitment truly means.
I agree and understand your point but I think she’s a good kid. I think the kinds of athletes who use the portal to jump from team to team are ridiculous. The struggles Purdue went through this year might have caused her to rethink. My unpopular opinion that laziness, indifference and entitlement from a couple teammates might cause issues on the team, might have been proven here with MA. And maybe not. We have to assume it’s nothing with playing time or the game of basketball itself. So it lends me to believe it’s a culture issue. Something off the court. She clearly wants to win. When coaches are coddling a couple players, I am sure that would get very, very old to be around. Hoping we don’t lose Swanson. Wondering if MA is waiting to see if we have another one enter the portal before she officially decides to leave. That kid played with a broken nose and had surgery, and played without missing a beat. Then she has a teammate, who I heard was cleared to play, weeks before the post season, but chose not to play. Wonder how that made MA feel? She has to kick butt to return, while others loaf? The failure to address those actions can cost a program a great player like MA…

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
I agree and understand your point but I think she’s a good kid. I think the kinds of athletes who use the portal to jump from team to team are ridiculous. The struggles Purdue went through this year might have caused her to rethink. My unpopular opinion that laziness, indifference and entitlement from a couple teammates might cause issues on the team, might have been proven here with MA. And maybe not. We have to assume it’s nothing with playing time or the game of basketball itself. So it lends me to believe it’s a culture issue. Something off the court. She clearly wants to win. When coaches are coddling a couple players, I am sure that would get very, very old to be around. Hoping we don’t lose Swanson. Wondering if MA is waiting to see if we have another one enter the portal before she officially decides to leave. That kid played with a broken nose and had surgery, and played without missing a beat. Then she has a teammate, who I heard was cleared to play, weeks before the post season, but chose not to play. Wonder how that made MA feel? She has to kick butt to return, while others loaf? The failure to address those actions can cost a program a great player like MA…
If its the issues you are making up, then we have an incompetent coach that cannot build a culture or manage the locker room.

If its someone meddling with enough money to make her jump, we have an existential crises and Purdue is probably done as a big time sports program.

If its MA leaving because her friend Monson was forced out, that is again indicative of coaching problems.

For the record, Tara retired at Stanford and they have had their starting power forward, Kiri Iriafen, enter the portal going to SoCal in addition to who they graduated. They won't be a high ranked program next year IMO.

If its the issues you are making up, then we have an incompetent coach that cannot build a culture or manage the locker room.

If its someone meddling with enough money to make her jump, we have an existential crises and Purdue is probably done as a big time sports program.

If its MA leaving because her friend Monson was forced out, that is again indicative of coaching problems.

For the record, Tara retired at Stanford and they have had their starting power forward, Kiri Iriafen, enter the portal going to SoCal in addition to who they graduated. They won't be a high ranked program next year IMO.
Michael- I wish you could accept people have different opinions. The things you share on here I don’t always agree with. I scroll on or agree or offer a comment. I don’t assume you make them up because I don’t like what you say. Yet if I express something you don’t like, I’m making it up? Because it’s me saying it? Or because you don’t like it? Regardless, it’s not hard to find out information about this program. It’s really not that deep.

Stanford-I give you they lost a key player and the coach retired but they still will be a different level than us. Not sure MA needs money. She seems kind of different, in a good way, than a lot of money-hungry athletes these days. And I agree on two statements that CKG does struggle to manage the locker room. And again, I’m wondering if this is the reason for MA’s departure.

Michael- I wish you could accept people have different opinions. The things you share on here I don’t always agree with. I scroll on or agree or offer a comment. I don’t assume you make them up because I don’t like what you say. Yet if I express something you don’t like, I’m making it up? Because it’s me saying it? Or because you don’t like it? Regardless, it’s not hard to find out information about this program. It’s really not that deep.

Stanford-I give you they lost a key player and the coach retired but they still will be a different level than us. Not sure MA needs money. She seems kind of different, in a good way, than a lot of money-hungry athletes these days. And I agree on two statements that CKG does struggle to manage the locker room. And again, I’m wondering if this is the reason for MA’s departure.
I say "you made up" but its all supposition based on your limited views of the games without one shred of evidence given. And its a drum you have been beating against certain players that didn't play with the outward intensity you wanted to see, no matter their results. It has and still does feel like an unfounded vendetta. If you have ANYTHING besides your own personal bias to back this up, I am all ears. But until then, I will continue to treat it as unfounded slander coming from someone in the cheap seats that has no factual information to back it up on.

Michael, are you positive that Monson was forced out? After all she transferred to play in her hometown, where family and friends can watch her play. It looks like she came here for a chance to play at a power 5 school. Evidently she did not get the minutes she was anticipating, so she went back home. Are you saying she was indirectly forced out by limiting her minutes? Because it looked to me like her minutes were a result if her performance in the minutes she did get. On a different subject it's weird how some posters act like ML kicked their dogs or something. The option to opt out of the miningless losers tournament was given to all 4 seniors who'd get zero benefits from playing in it. The extra games were important only for the younger players further development. ML opting out actually provided extra minutes for the players that actually could benefit from them. Looks like much ado about nothing tome. Boiler up!
Juan

Reactions: MichaelRR
Michael, are you positive that Monson was forced out? After all she transferred to play in her hometown, where family and friends can watch her play. It looks like she came here for a chance to play at a power 5 school. Evidently she did not get the minutes she was anticipating, so she went back home. Are you saying she was indirectly forced out by limiting her minutes? Because it looked to me like her minutes were a result if her performance in the minutes she did get. On a different subject it's weird how some posters act like ML kicked their dogs or something. The option to opt out of the miningless losers tournament was given to all 4 seniors who'd get zero benefits from playing in it. The extra games were important only for the younger players further development. ML opting out actually provided extra minutes for the players that actually could benefit from them. Looks like much ado about nothing tome. Boiler up!
Juan
I said "IF SHE WAS FORCED OUT" I know CKG has told some players to leave in previous years but I do not know if that was the case with Monson, so its supposition.

Yeah, someone stated they hoped Madison would not get minutes in the losers tournament and then continued to crap on her when she opted out. Now he's blaming Madison for MA leaving..... Next we will hear that Madison created Covid in her dorm room closet just to mess with the women's basketball team. Its crazy how far he's taken this vendetta.

I say "you made up" but it’s all supposition based on your limited views of the games without one shred of evidence given. And it’s a drum you have been beating against certain players that didn't play with the outward intensity you wanted to see, no matter their results. It has and still does feel like an unfounded vendetta. If you have ANYTHING besides your own personal bias to back this up, I am all ears. But until then, I will continue to treat it as unfounded slander coming from someone in the cheap seats that has no factual information to back it up on.
Having an opinion isn’t slander. Please. I owe you nothing and I won’t expose where my info comes from just to satisfy you demanding it. How do you know I’m in the cheap seats? You don’t. How do you know what I say isn’t factual? Because you don’t like it or believe it? Excuse me while the heavens descend and father Michael in all his omnipotence reveals wisdom to all. How do you know I have limited views of games? You know nothing about me or my knowledge of the game. You’re on a blog Michael. And it drives you insane that you can’t control the narrative on everything. No one owes you anything. Don’t like something, scroll on. Not every post is an invitation for you to share whatever washed-up knowledge you believe you have on this sport and this program. I’ll never say an untruth. Will never call a player names (as you have). And am smart enough to share information that is only factual. Take it or leave it. I really don’t care.

From the little information Ive learned from inside the team in the last two years, it seems to me that the culture is driven by team first mentality like the men. I think CKG has mentioned that once or twice. In her tenure it seemed to me like it was the players who felt like their sh*t didnt stink were the ones who entered the portal or struggled - Kyle, Moore, elder Layden, Terry after her first year. It certainly could be the case with Stevenson after being named the top freshman in the B1G.

I tend to think Monson just went home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT