ADVERTISEMENT

Two VB games today (9/2) and one tomorrow!

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
The middle game against Utah (tonight) is televised on the Big Ten Network while the other two are on B1G Plus. I am pumped and wins are definitely needed after last night's disappointment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boilermb
Bradley game - first set dominated by Purdue 25-13. Bradley was behind by only one at around 10 pts but then Purdue reeled off 8 straight and the outcome after that was not in doubt. Some players that rarely play helped finish the game for the win.

Almost exactly the same scenario in set 2 with Bradley even having a 1-2 pt edge at around 10 pts and then Purdue took off and won 25-14.
win.

Pretty much same story for the third set where Purdue won the match 25-15. Obviously Bradley was outmatched this morning. Purdue had 8 aces for the match. Lots of people got to play. Eva Hudson was, once again, outstandng. (At this point I don’t have any stats.)

Tonight’s game with Utah should be much more challenging.

Reactions: Purdue_BS_90
Stats from the win against Bradley. Purdue hitting % was 0.293 vs -0.022 for Bradley.

Leading in kills (once again) freshman Eva Hudson with 10 and Iowa transfer Hannah Clayton with 8. (Bradley had two players with 5 each)

Leading in blocks Hannah Clayton with 5 followed by Madeline Koch with 4. (Top Bradley player had 3)

Leading in digs was Maddie Schermerhorn with 11 followed by Ali Hornung with 9. (Top Bradley player had 8)

Leading in aces was Ali Hornung with 4. (Bradley had two players with 1 each )

Nice start, as I mentioned before, Coach Shondell in a podcast said last years reserves weren’t much behind the starters, that’s why he wasn’t expecting a big drop off. Add in some nice transfers and a solid recruiting class and here we are. Big one tonight, hope they can beat the Utes!

First set against Utah goes Purdue way 25-17. Pretty solidly in control the whole set. Four aces and Hudson once again is pretty much unstoppable. Boilers hit % 0.529. Wow.

Utah much tougher in second set and wins 25-22. Purdue was behind by 1 to 3 pts most of match. Tied it at 13-13 on two straight aces by Colvin and went ahead by 15-13. But Utah quickly came back and led the rest of the way building a 24-20 lead and getting the winning kill after it looked like Purdue was going to rally to tie it up.

Only the second set the Boilers have lost this year.

Last edited:
Purdue plays more like the first set. Killed Utah on their overpasses. Emma Ellis shooting missiles and Iowa transfer Hannah Clayton terrorizing the Utes in the middle. Shondell won a challenge to put Purdue up 15-10 and it was pretty much over then with Purdue taking the set 25-18. Raven Colvin has 8 blocks.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Hard fought set but Utah pulls it out in extra points 28-26. Purdue had a chance to win when they went up 26-25 but Utah scored the next. 3 points to win. Maddie Chinn had some great kills to keep us in the game. We initially fell behind at 1-6 and fought from behind most of the rest of the way,.

On to the 5th set

Last edited:
In the 5th set, Purdue got off to a 4-1 lead and then Utah tied it up. Shondell lost a challenge but we crawled ahead 7-5 before allowing them to tie us 7-7 and then they went ahead by one 7-8.

Colvin served an ace - one of several she had and we scored 3 straight and were up 10-8 and then 12-9 and completed the win of the match at 15-9. I have not seen the stats but would say Colvin, Chinn and Ellis were the stars of the last two sets and brought home the win.

Thrilling and very evenly fought sets but Purdue was just a little “more even”.
Looking at the stats they confirm the match was very even. The only big difference was ace serves where Purdue had 11 compared to 3 for Utah. Colvin led our team in kills (18) - tied with Hudson, in aces (5) and in blocks (6) with Hudson having 5.

Last edited:
Colvin! My gosh she’s good. Glad to see Ellis have a great match too. Renner was channeling Hayley Bush with those quick “overs” that are disguised as sets, and Schemerhorn (sp?) is an Otec clone! Team is deep.
Utah pushed them, which was good to see how they’d respond. W ! 5-0.
Fun fun team.

Reactions: DocRon
Second set pretty much the same with Boilers winning 25-17. It was never really close. Unfortunately for Milwaukee, Rachel Scott, a freshman right side hitter injured her shoulder during one rally and was taken out of the arena. She has not reappeared that I saw. It looked to me like she might have dislocated her shoulder but that is just a guess. (But I was a doc at many, many HS football games. Grin.)

Colvin, Hudson and Schemremhorn are once again outstanding.

Last edited:
In 3rd set Milwaukee suprisingly leads pretty much start to finish and defeated the Boilers soundly 25-18. Many unforced errors on the part of the Boilers. Shondell is not happy.

Reactions: destewart
Coach got lots of players some time now Purdue is in a dogfight. This should be a cakewalk win, not turning into that at all.

Boilers win the match by surviving a closely contested set 4, 25-23. The lead changed back and forth all set and there were 12 ties. In the end Purdue got the points when it counted. It was just a little disheartening to see a team that they had handily defeated the first two sets give them such a struggle in the last two sets. A lot of errors were made in the last two sets. Waiting to see the stats.

I normally say that Big Ten Plus is a good deal but man, the camera work in today’s volleyball match was just awful. In yesterday’s first match there was just one camera which was not up to par but at least you saw the whole court. Then last night BTN came in with multiple camera angles and it was very professional.

Then today I thought ”Great, we still have multiple cameras.” But the switching between cameras was pathetic and seemed to get worse as the match went on. How many times did the camera stay focused on the server and totally miss the receiving and passing on the other side? How many times did the camera stay on one half of the court while all the action was on the other side out of the camera’s sight?

Good grief, I know these BTN+ games are mostly student-run but we also pay for this service and today it was very poor.

Last edited:
All Tournament MVP and team. I think at least one of Schermerhorn or Hudson (49 kills over 3 matches!) should have been on the All-Tourney team too. But i guess we cannot have all positions.

Last edited:
I normally say that Big Ten Plus is a good deal but man, the camera work in today’s volleyball match was just awful. In yesterday’s first match there was just one camera which was not up to par but at least you saw the whole court. Then last night BTN came in with multiple camera angles and it was very professional.

Then today I thought ”Great, we still have multiple cameras.” But the switching between cameras pathetic and seemed to get worse as the match went on. How many times did the camera stay focused on the server and totally miss the receiving and passing on the other side? How many times did the camera stay on one half of the court while all the action was on the other side out of the camera’s sight?

Good grief, I know these BTN+ games are mostly student-run but we also pay for this service and today it was very poor.
I felt this was especially true in the 3-4th sets. They were often not showing the action. Made me crave a wide angle fixed camera so I could at least see what was going on without getting a headache!

All Tournament MVP and team. I think at least one of Schermerhorn or Hudson (49 kills over 3 matches!) should have been on the All-Tourney team too. But i guess we cannot have all positions.

Made me wonder who votes on this. I guess they did not want her getting a big head?

glad shondell fessed up to the line-up card screw-up. Volleyball lineup cards and substitutions are so particular they were screwed before they started and then Shondell basically played the 2nd team as a result.

surprised Milwaukee competed so well in the 4th but it is a huge momentum sport!

Made me wonder who votes on this. I guess they did not want her getting a big head?

glad shondell fessed up to the line-up card screw-up. Volleyball lineup cards and substitutions are so particular they were screwed before they started and then Shondell basically played the 2nd team as a result.

surprised Milwaukee competed so well in the 4th but it is a huge momentum sport!
So tell me, if she was (once again) Big Ten Freshman of the Week leading the league with 49 kills, how does Hudson not make the All-Tournament team? And at her home court. Ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT