ADVERTISEMENT

Trey is making his decision on October 30th

Agree, no question that Trey plays significant minutes as a freshman at Purdue, it’s more that he won’t be handed a starting position as he would be at IU. Hopefully he sees himself as a 2 to 3 year player and sees the value in an apprentice role as a freshman versus being thrust into the limelight based on need.
He sees himself as a starter day one for either team because he’s that good. I really don’t think you get it?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Pegram has never been wrong...

Okay... I never expressed any confidence about Kaufman. I know NOTHING. ;)

I do like 'tweaking' the resident IU fans, too many of which obsess over what goes on here.

You can cite unclear and vague justification, but they still are what they are.... rated VERY similarly, with Furst owning a higher evaluation. Which... again... cuts to the heart of your assertion. (Which, by the way really makes no sense.)
High evaluation from which site? Kaufman is rated higher on 247. I’m telling you Kaufman will be the better player.

He sees himself as a starter day one for either team because he’s that good. I really don’t think you get it?
Yes, the issue is clearly that I don’t get it 🤪

I did not say that he won’t be a day one starter, only that he won’t get the position by default at Purdue in the way that he would at IU (assuming TJD leaves). If he sees himself as assuming a starter role at either school that’s even better for Purdue (that he’s not worried about competing for PT).

Last edited:
*** and you never count your money when your sittin at the table.....they'll be time enough for countin when the dealin's done.....

HeftyMessyIrukandjijellyfish-max-1mb.gif
And you'll ALWAYS know more tomorrow.

Although -- "If I didn't know now, what I didn't know then ..." .... has always intrigued me!

High evaluation from which site? Kaufman is rated higher on 247. I’m telling you Kaufman will be the better player.

Neither you nor I know who's going to be the better player.

On 24/7,
Furst is rated #1 in IN, #35 nationally, with a 0.9859
Kaufman is rated #2 in IN, #41 nationally, with a 0.9839

Again... VERY similar, but overall, Furst is being considered as the better player ... at this point in time.

You're making a really silly (and pointless) argument, and for no reason. They're both going to be fine players dressed in black and gold, and bringin' down the house in Mackey Arena. ;)

On 24/7, Caleb Furst is ranked at#35 nationally. Trey Kaufman is ranked #41. How is it you are misreading these numbers just to pick a meaningless fight? Sometimes it’s better to just acknowledge someone else’s better argument than to die on a hill with bad data and bad intentions.

Is there much difference between #35 and #41? Probably not. Much depends on the team they pick, how they are utilized, and their own internal drivers. Those last three elements are unknown to us right now. You might be right that Kaufman is a better player, but if he goes to IU, I know for a fact he will wind up on an unmotivated, under performing team that will likely be in the ugly throws of a coaching change within the 2-3 years he will be there. Poor choice for someone like Trey.

Why don’t we just meet up and we’ll see just
Yes, the issue is clearly that I don’t get it 🤪

I did not say that he won’t be a day one starter, only that he won’t get the position by default at Purdue in the way that he would at IU (assuming TJD leaves). If he sees himself as assuming a starter role at either school that’s even better for Purdue (that he’s not worried about competing for PT).
tjd would have nothing to do with it since he doesn’t want to and shouldn’t play the 5 or inside as a 4.

Why don’t we just meet up and we’ll see just

tjd would have nothing to do with it since he doesn’t want to and shouldn’t play the 5 or inside as a 4.
That TJD would have 'nothing to do with it' is a ludicrous statement. His decision to leave or stay would not only open up 30 to 35 mpg (regardless of position), it would completely change the structure of the team, how the offense runs and who it runs through.

Interesting that this Indiana HS recruiting reporter has Blake Wesley as best available:

That TJD would have 'nothing to do with it' is a ludicrous statement. His decision to leave or stay would not only open up 30 to 35 mpg (regardless of position), it would completely change the structure of the team, how the offense runs and who it runs through.
It was brought up in another post

Interesting that this Indiana HS recruiting reporter has Blake Wesley as best available:

Have heard from more than one person that has stated Wesley by far and away had the best AAU season of any 2021 in-state prospect. I think he’s a vastly underrated recruit. His offer sheet is pretty underwhelming given his talents but have heard it’s all between his ears. Inner-circle isn’t the easiest to get along with and I think that’s why you’ve seen schools like Purdue and IU back off in recent months.

Reactions: DAG10 and TX4GB
Have heard from more than one person that has stated Wesley by far and away had the best AAU season of any 2021 in-state prospect. I think he’s a vastly underrated recruit. His offer sheet is pretty underwhelming given his talents but have heard it’s all between his ears. Inner-circle isn’t the easiest to get along with and I think that’s why you’ve seen schools like Purdue and IU back off in recent months.
Man, you have zero clue about the ability of Furst and how his ceiling is lower than TJD or Kaufman. If you are a coach you know that one AAU game doesn't determine the outcome of a players ability. Also, I trust the coaching ability of Big Marc. Matt Roth called him a shorter Zeller. I guess you know what you're talking about??!!

Neither you nor I know who's going to be the better player.

On 24/7,
Furst is rated #1 in IN, #35 nationally, with a 0.9859
Kaufman is rated #2 in IN, #41 nationally, with a 0.9839

Again... VERY similar, but overall, Furst is being considered as the better player ... at this point in time.

You're making a really silly (and pointless) argument, and for no reason. They're both going to be fine players dressed in black and gold, and bringin' down the house in Mackey Arena. ;)
Not to be "that guy" but we are on a Rivals page so Trey is #32 and Caleb is #37

I think they will both be great in the college. Furst will need to add to his frame to bang around where as Trey might have a better freshman season. Just my 2¢

Man, you have zero clue about the ability of Furst and how his ceiling is lower than TJD or Kaufman. If you are a coach you know that one AAU game doesn't determine the outcome of a players ability. Also, I trust the coaching ability of Big Marc. Matt Roth called him a shorter Zeller. I guess you know what you're talking about??!!
I honestly think that most people believe Furst has a lower ceiling than Kaufman and TJD. However, I also think that Furst has a higher floor than Kaufman. I am not basing my information off of any AAU games. Below is a direct quote for Brian Snow.

"The upside isn't tremendous given his combination of height at around 6-foot-8, average overall athleticism, and average length, but the production should be top notch for four years, and he could be one of the most productive college players in the entire class."

Furst is going to be a great player for Purdue and I am fairly confident he will be around as an upperclassman.

I honestly think that most people believe Furst has a lower ceiling than Kaufman and TJD. However, I also think that Furst has a higher floor than Kaufman. I am not basing my information off of any AAU games. Below is a direct quote for Brian Snow.

"The upside isn't tremendous given his combination of height at around 6-foot-8, average overall athleticism, and average length, but the production should be top notch for four years, and he could be one of the most productive college players in the entire class."

Furst is going to be a great player for Purdue and I am fairly confident he will be around as an upperclassman.
That’s a fair assessment.

Reactions: SegregationOfDuties

Are you referencing my post on the IU page? I actually defended Furst from an IU fan. But if you’re talking potential, Furst ceiling is a lot lower than that of someone like Kaufman or TJD. He’s not a multi-tool guy or nearly as versatile as someone like Kaufman and doesn’t have near the athleticism as someone like TJD. I said full-on I expected him to be a great collegiate player for Purdue but don’t see a future in the NBA.

Furst is highly skilled around the basket and was physically mature at a very early age, but some of that has caught up to him. Furst as an underclassmen had Duke or Kentucky bound written all over him but as his peers caught up to him, his recruitment didn’t take off like I expected it too.

I don’t think my assessment of Furst on the other board is off-base at all.

Last edited:
Are you referencing my post on the IU page? I actually defended Furst from an IU fan. But if you’re talking potential, Furst ceiling is a lot lower than that of someone like Kaufman or TJD. He’s not a multi-tool guy or nearly as versatile as someone like Kaufman and doesn’t have near the athleticism as someone like TJD. I said full-on I expected him to be a great collegiate player for Purdue but don’t see a future in the NBA.

Furst is highly skilled around the basket and was physically mature at a very early age, but some of that has caught up to him. Furst as an underclassmen had Duke or Kentucky bound written all over him but as his peers caught up to him, his recruitment didn’t take off like I expected it too.

I don’t think my assessment of Furst on the other board is off-base at all.
Don't forget the part where you said he isn't athletic, Kaufman and Duncomb really took it to him. I know you're an IU fan and I guess time will tell how athletic Furst is. He's a way better athlete and basketball player than given credit.

Not to be "that guy" but we are on a Rivals page so Trey is #32 and Caleb is #37

I think they will both be great in the college. Furst will need to add to his frame to bang around where as Trey might have a better freshman season. Just my 2¢

Did you read through the thread?

The claim was that Kaufman was rated higher than Furst ... on 24/7. ("Kaufman is rated higher on 247.")

My comments were spot on, and in context, regardless where we are.

Reactions: Poprudy
Don't forget the part where you said he isn't athletic, Kaufman and Duncomb really took it to him. I know you're an IU fan and I guess time will tell how athletic Furst is. He's a way better athlete and basketball player than given credit.

He’s not a great athlete and believe me, I’m not the only one saying it.

For context here is my actual quote about Furst

Furst deserves a little more credit. He’s highly skilled around the basket and his greatest asset so far is his physically maturity. Not many guys that big who are that young have the upper and lower body strength of Furst. Should help him log major minutes as a freshman.

That being said agree he’s a lower ceiling player if you’re comparing him to the likes of someone like Kaufman or TJD. Not a very good athlete and I suppose that may catch up to him once he regularly starts playing guys his size with a little bit of athleticism. Duncomb and Kaufman really took it too him earlier this summer. Still think he’ll be a very good college player when all said and done but not someone I’d expect to be playing in the NBA.”

Pretty evident you’re confusing potential with production. They don’t mean the same thing. I acknowledged that Furst would be a very good college player. And if we’re talking production, he’ll probably have the better college career over Kaufman or TJD as neither projects as a 4 year player like Furst.

Since you don't think their
He’s not a great athlete and believe me, I’m not the only one saying it.

For context here is my actual quote about Furst

Furst deserves a little more credit. He’s highly skilled around the basket and his greatest asset so far is his physically maturity. Not many guys that big who are that young have the upper and lower body strength of Furst. Should help him log major minutes as a freshman.

That being said agree he’s a lower ceiling player if you’re comparing him to the likes of someone like Kaufman or TJD. Not a very good athlete and I suppose that may catch up to him once he regularly starts playing guys his size with a little bit of athleticism. Duncomb and Kaufman really took it too him earlier this summer. Still think he’ll be a very good college player when all said and done but not someone I’d expect to be playing in the NBA.”

Pretty evident you’re confusing potential with production. They don’t mean the same thing. I acknowledged that Furst would be a very good college player. And if we’re talking production, he’ll probably have the better college career over Kaufman or TJD as neither projects as a 4 year player like Furst.
Once again, I could give a rats a$$ what you believe a Purdue recruit, that IU wanted has in potential. When he was in 8th grade, I knew he would be a great basketball player. I knew what his potential was....come on... seriously.

Once again, I could give a rats a$$ what you believe a Purdue recruit, that IU wanted has in potential. When he was in 8th grade, I knew he would be a great basketball player. I knew what his potential was....come on... seriously.

Ok skip.

You went out of your way to comment on a post I made about Furst on a thread that isn’t even about Furst. You care. Clearly.

??
I like Furst a ton and think he is good? I don't think Zeller is a good comparison though.

??
I like Furst a ton and think he is good? I don't think Zeller is a good comparison though.
Well, that came from someone that played with Zeller. He has been praised by Marc(played for illinois), Roth(played for IU) and Blackmon Sr(played for Kentucky). I trust the people that deal with him on a daily basis and not a scout. Plus, you don't believe their rankings should be even close. You guys bash our players on your board and then come here to save face. Very condescending to me.

Well, that came from someone that played with Zeller. He has been praised by Marc(played for illinois), Roth(played for IU) and Blackmon Sr(played for Kentucky). I trust the people that deal with him on a daily basis and not a scout. Plus, you don't believe their rankings should be even close. You guys bash our players on your board and then come here to save face. Very condescending to me.
I am a Purdue fan... I just said Furst has a higher floor and a lower ceiling. I don't think that is super controversial. Also, I am still holding out hope that we can get both of them!

Reactions: Schnelk

As someone who has coached collegiately and at the high school/AAU level for nearly 40 years, I think I’m at least qualified to offer an opinion. I don’t really give two sh*t’s about rankings so where Kaufman and Furst align in that regard is irrelevant. I think currently Furst is the more college ready of the two given his physical maturity but in the long run Kaufman has much more potential given his versatility and skill set. If that’s considered bashing, we’ll then grow the F up.

As someone who has coached collegiately and at the high school/AAU level for nearly 40 years, I think I’m at least qualified to offer an opinion. I don’t really give two sh*t’s about rankings so where Kaufman and Furst align in that regard is irrelevant. I think currently Furst is the more college ready of the two given his physical maturity but in the long run Kaufman has much more potential given his versatility and skill set. If that’s considered bashing, we’ll then grow the F up.
First off internet tonight guy. You just did what I said and bashed Ivey. He would be your 4th highest recruit on your team you f'n turd.

I am a Purdue fan... I just said Furst has a higher floor and a lower ceiling. I don't think that is super controversial. Also, I am still holding out hope that we can get both of them!
I guess stating their ranking shouldn't be close. Sounds like a little dig at a Purdue recruit. Either, I took that wrong or you wrote it wrong?

First off internet tonight guy. You just did what I said and bashed Ivey. He would be your 4th highest recruit on your team you f'n turd.

LOL I did the exact opposite. You have turd over on the IU board claiming how superior Ivey is (in regards to Leal and Galloway) because of his recruiting ranking. I flat out said I don’t care what Ivey’s ranking is, it doesn’t mean anything. I said in any given class there’s arguably 20-30 recruits who have that “it” factor from day 1 and after that there really isn’t much of a difference.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I guess stating their ranking shouldn't be close. Sounds like a little dig at a Purdue recruit. Either I took that wrong or you wrote it wrong?
I probably didn't word it the best but I think as far as upside goes they aren't super close. However, I think Furst is a super safe bet to reach his potential and I think Kaufman has more unknowns. Supposedly, Virginia compared him to DeAndre Hunter and if he becomes anything close to Hunter then I anticipate his ceiling is much higher than Furst. I do not think it is safe to assume Kaufman ever becomes like Hunter.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
LOL I did the exact opposite. You have turd over on the IU board claiming how superior Ivey is (in regards to Leal and Galloway) because of his recruiting ranking. I flat out said I don’t care what Ivey’s ranking is, it doesn’t mean anything. I said in any given class there’s arguably 20-30 recruits who have that “it” factor from day 1 and after that there really isn’t much of a difference.
Offering NO support to either side in this debate ... as a 24 year AAU coach, there is definitely the IT factor. And I seriously doubt there are 30 that have it ... and definitely NO, those are not the top ranked 30! BTW - MORTON has the IT factor, as do other commits, but he stands out without any thought.

Go to IU. No reason to go to pursue, because theres no chance of ever winning a National Championship.

Offering NO support to either side in this debate ... as a 24 year AAU coach, there is definitely the IT factor. And I seriously doubt there are 30 that have it ... and definitely NO, those are not the top ranked 30! BTW - MORTON has the IT factor, as do other commits, but he stands out without any thought.

I think 20-30 in any given class is fairly accurate. You have to remember teams like Duke, Kentucky, Kansas get 3-5 of these players every year and someone has to play second and third fiddle.

I probably didn't word it the best but I think as far as upside goes they aren't super close. However, I think Furst is a super safe bet to reach his potential and I think Kaufman has more unknowns. Supposedly, Virginia compared him to DeAndre Hunter and if he becomes anything close to Hunter then I anticipate his ceiling is much higher than Furst. I do not think it is safe to assume Kaufman ever becomes like Hunter.
Gotcha, I agree Furst will be very good. Many thought Biggie had disadvantages, but he got through that with smart positioning and drive. Many don't know, Furst was an overweight kid and has a drive that is top notch. Anyways, I hope we get Kaufman.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT