ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Recruiting

Pete Trgovitch, Tim Stoddard , and Junior Bridgeman played together at East Chicago Washington. No surprise they won the state championship!

A bunch of Final Fours and a few NCAA titles from that trio, as Trgovitch was on the last of John Wooden's UCLA teams. Stoddard was on that great '74 North Carolina State team that ended UCLA's 7-year reign as NCAA tournament champ, and Bridgeman's Louisville team faced off against Trgovitch's UCLA team in the '75 Final Four.

Oh, by the way, Stoddard wasn't too bad of a MLB pitcher, also winning a World Series with the Orioles.

I thought I read somewhere that Bridgeman invested in a bunch of Wendy's franchises and did pretty well for himself off the court too.

Last edited:
Yea sir. That is what I’m saying. Who was coaching Purdue back in the early 70’s? How could Trgovich, Stoddard, Bridgeman, plus Jim Bradley from East Chicago Roosevelt not be playing for Purdue? Not to mention Banks, Hudson, and Valevicius from Hammond High and Frank Smith from Gary Emerson and on and on.
George King coached thru 1972. I think he tried to get Trgovich and Bridgeman as a package in 1971 but was unsuccessful. Schaus then became the coach.

Reactions: BNIBoiler
A bunch of Final Fours and a few NCAA titles from that trio, as Trgovitch was on the last of John Wooden's UCLA teams. Stoddard was on that great '74 North Carolina State team that ended UCLA's 7-year reign as NCAA tournament champ, and Bridgeman's Louisville team faced off against Trgovitch's UCLA team in the '75 Final Four.

Oh, by the way, Stoddard wasn't too bad of a MLB pitcher, also winning a World Series with the Orioles.
That East Chicago Washington high school is the only high school in the US to produce 2 players, not 1 but 2 to both play on the NCAA Final Four AND the MLB World Series. They were Tim Stoddard, ‘71 and Kenny Lofton, ‘85. Another Purdue Region miss by the way.

Same city but Drake Morris went to Washington High school and at the time there was also Roosevelt high school in EC. They merged to form East Chicago Central High School.

Pete Trgovitch, Tim Stoddard , and Junior Bridgeman played together at East Chicago Washington. No surprise they won the state championship!
Also Ruben Bailey and Darnell Adell at guards. Saw them play in Hinkle. What a venue and team!

Also if you want to know how good Jermaine cousinard is ask R j Barrette New York knicks they went at it at prep school and he said South Carolina was getting a good one
Not disagreeing but would he had said something negative?

Talk about cashing in on your one shining moment. He basically had two good games, one mediocre game, and one really bad game in the tourney.

Reactions: TX4GB
How many visits do transfer portal guys typically take? Do schools have a limit on visits? Assume it does not count against the number of official visits from hs recruits.

I am assuming a visit from a portal guy is very good news as I would expect they don't take very many.

Please roll out the freakin red carpet. Whatever it takes to impress him, do it. You don't get to add guys like this every year. There will be transfers, sure. But not all Big 12 guard with 2 years left. I'm not one to get all excited about recruits. But this isn't like a kid coming out of HS. We know this guy can play at a high level against top competition.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Just one rival fan's opinion, but you guys need to roll out the six figure NIL deal. Lots of good basketball teams will be courting Pack -- first team All-Big 12 doesn't come along often. A great fit and a lucrative NIL deal is the winning combo.

Apparently IU has the Cook's delivering for RaceTrayce. Extremely helpful, especially for a kid hat won't get 1st round NBA $$. (such as Trayce/Race/Pack)

Just one rival fan's opinion, but you guys need to roll out the six figure NIL deal. Lots of good basketball teams will be courting Pack -- first team All-Big 12 doesn't come along often. A great fit and a lucrative NIL deal is the winning combo.
I agree. Just not sure Purdue has very many, if any at all, people willing to pay these kids that type of money to play basketball.

Thanks for the updates - reserving response for a final commitment/announcement.....the roller coaster ride continues. :)
He is Purdue's to lose seemingly...doesn't mean that it won't happen, but, it was no coincidence that he entered the portal the same time Isaiah did, and, people knew that he was entering the portal before he announced his decision...or Nijel announced his.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
2022 five-star Skyy Clark has committed to Illinois
Great get for them, and, they needed some help in the backcourt.

Purdue is going to struggle to recruit guards at the moment because of the number that it has...it will be interesting to see what that leads to moving forward, and, more so even if someone were to redshirt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT