ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Recruiting

44zsncu42ju81.jpg

Apparently Tipton leaked this on accident yesterday. Top 6 for Jahmir Young, but he has 3 crystal balls predictions to Maryland
Got to the line 148 times last season and shot 89%

That would be nice

I’ve mentioned this a couple of times here over the years but the 76-77 and 77-78 seasons in the ECW sectional and Gary West Side Regionals were absolute battles. ECW, ECR, Gary Roosevelt, Gary Emerson and Bishop Noll were all state championship worthy. How Merrillville, with Seneff and Jelesky, were able to beat us (Noll) in 78 still boggles my mind.
Gary Emerson had a7-1 center a 6-10 power forward a 6-7 small forward but No guards

Nijel in Columbus today 👎

OSU was one of the schools I was most worried about even before they became involved. They historically have a draw with high profile guys and Indy is not that far from Columbus. I think their PG position is wide open now too. I still think Purdue is the best fit, but I also have black and gold glasses.

Reactions: TX4GB
OSU was one of the schools I was most worried about even before they became involved. They historically have a draw with high profile guys and Indy is not that far from Columbus. I think their PG position is wide open now too. I still think Purdue is the best fit, but I also have black and gold glasses.
I wonder if they're worried that Thornton isn't going to sign and he's debating his commitment.

I wonder if they're worried that Thornton isn't going to sign and he's debating his commitment.

Interesting, I hadn't realized Thornton didn't sign yet. That opens up things even more if true. One would think Pack would not need to complete with incoming Freshman for minutes though either way.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Is this speculation, or is there any real truth to this? I know we were one of his finalists, and now with Terry on board would he consider a switch to us?
Pure speculation. A buddy of mine is a bucknut. He was the one that told me about the situation, but maybe zero truth to it. 247 has him unsigned as well. Odd situation for sure.

Yes sir. Don’t forget the Hammond High teams, undefeated in the regular season and ranked #1 in the state in 73-74 & 74-75 somewhere around there. They just could get out of the Gary Regional. Probably the the best Indiana high school team to not win a state championship.

Out of all those good Region teams and players back in the 70’s Purdue was only able to get Drake Morris from EC Washington. IU for that matter only got Rich Valevicius from Hammond High until he transferred. Purdue coaches should have camped out in the Region during those days. There is no way Jim Bradley from EC Roosevelt should not have been in a Purdue uniform. Or Thad Garner from Bishop Noll. Or Brian Banks from Hammond High. On and on and on.
Freshman Murphy May break all teams scoring and be better than etwaun

Davis to K-State. Not sure what this all means for Pack yet. Hunter in the portal and now this.

Don't think that is what that means. He's been putting up edits from everywhere as he posted a Maryland one 15 hours earlier and was visiting Georgetown.

Seems like a guy who's just enjoying the attention.
Oh I see. Just a visit to KState.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Juco star East's coach from John A Logan JC joined him as an assistant coach at Mizzoo. You could see this coming. He has developed a lot of players at the JUCO level that became Div I players at prominent schools. he comes from a family of successful coaches. I wish him success.

So when May 1st rolls around 1,300+ transfer portals kids have to pick a school or they won’t be playing this coming season? How’s the deadline date work? Kids out here holding out until the end thinking they’re really going to get a “Pack deal” lol

So when May 1st rolls around 1,300+ transfer portals kids have to pick a school or they won’t be playing this coming season? How’s the deadline date work? Kids out here holding out until the end thinking they’re really going to get a “Pack deal” lol
My understanding is you have to be in the portal by May 1 to be eligible, don't have to be committed

My understanding is you have to be in the portal by May 1 to be eligible, don't have to be committed
You are correct. Any 2021-2022 fall/winter athlete wanting to transfer needs to be in the portal by/on May 1 to be eligible for the 2022/2023 season. After the cutoff date, anyone entering the portal would have to sit out if they transfer.

Yeah, let's see how far they get against teams buying an entire team versus a single player.
My point is people were saying NIL would only work for big city schools. That's obviously not true. It isn't about buying a whole team in a lot of cases. Just like PU this year. We don't need to buy 5 guys. We need 1 key one and we are in good shape. Frustrating that Small school like WSU has it figured out better than we do right now.

My point is people were saying NIL would only work for big city schools. That's obviously not true. It isn't about buying a whole team in a lot of cases. Just like PU this year. We don't need to buy 5 guys. We need 1 key one and we are in good shape. Frustrating that Small school like WSU has it figured out better than we do right now.
Your point is accurate for right now, but in the future teams will be buying full rosters I think. And sooner rather than later.

So I guess those saying that it would only be possible for "big city" college markets to do the NIL well missed that one.....C'mon PU get with it.
Wichita State has some monster boosters. That’s how they kept Gregg Marshall around so long, $3-4 million a year, use of a jet, country club membership, etc.

Wichita State has some monster boosters. That’s how they kept Gregg Marshall around so long, $3-4 million a year, use of a jet, country club membership, etc.
All schools have big boosters especially the P5 schools. The fact is WSU has themselves better organized for this than PU does. That's the point.
When Pack announced for Miami, it was stated on here that "big city" schools would be the ones that would be players in the NIL game. Already that has proven to be wrong.

When you need the funds to buy an entire team, yes, larger market really helps. A small market might be able to scratch together enough for one good player, so congrats, you might've gotten enough to make the tournament and lose in the first round.

And yes, you do have to buy 5 plus guys as you have to retain guys as well as bring in guys, that is where we are at. In the case of Porter, it was coming up the money to keep the player they had, not bring in a new guy. And he admitted that is why he is staying in his tweet, because he got a deal to stay.

When you need the funds to buy an entire team, yes, larger market really helps. A small market might be able to scratch together enough for one good player, so congrats, you might've gotten enough to make the tournament and lose in the first round.

And yes, you do have to buy 5 plus guys as you have to retain guys as well as bring in guys, that is where we are at. In the case of Porter, it was coming up the money to keep the player they had, not bring in a new guy. And he admitted that is why he is staying in his tweet, because he got a deal to stay.
Wrong. You don't need to buy a whole team. What NIL deals have we had to put out for Gillis, Furst, Edey, etc??.... Nothing of any consequence. In our case we need 1 good guard from the portal and we can't seem to even do that. Penn just committed to Vermont. It's ridiculous how far behind we are and not to just big schools but smaller ones too.

Nah.

Does the name Charles Koch ring a bell?
You don't have to have a billionaire as a booster. These NIL deals are in the thousands not millions. There are any number of former PU athletes that could write the check today for what is needed for NIL. That doesn't even take into account the many very rich alumni of PU. It's the organization that is important and WSU figured it out early. So did Miami.
I get it, people on here hate NIL, I'm not a fan of it either. But to act like these other schools have resources that PU doesn't have access to is being disingenuous. We don't need a Koch brother to be successful in NIL.

Wrong. You don't need to buy a whole team. What NIL deals have we had to put out for Gillis, Furst, Edey, etc??.... Nothing of any consequence. In our case we need 1 good guard from the portal and we can't seem to even do that. Penn just committed to Vermont. It's ridiculous how far behind we are and not to just big schools but smaller ones too.
The WSU kid basically held them hostage by entering the portal to get money. Would hope that we have some sort of NIL deals for current players and are actively working to secure more for future recruits.

Sort of sucks that Purdue has seemingly missed on everyone we tried to get at this time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT