ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Recruiting

Yes and the commentators made a big deal that we had 0 points from the portal and Arkansas had 73%, Now, Arkansas already has a portal signee and three 5 star recruits signed. Whether I like the portal or not, it's the way it is, and the meek watchers could pay deeply if they don't do it.
Purdue was one of only 5 either D1 or P5 teams not to get a player from the portal. That's on Painter.
He's going to have to adapt and adjust and realize that college has free agency now. There's noting wrong with getting hired guns for a year or 2 if they make you better. The goal is to reload, not rebuild.

Purdue was one of only 5 either D1 or P5 teams not to get a player from the portal. That's on Painter.
He's going to have to adapt and adjust and realize that college has free agency now. There's noting wrong with getting hired guns for a year or 2 if they make you better. The goal is to reload, not rebuild.
Other way of looking at it, you’re removing them from the market as competitors.

We had no roster room to bring in another player. Wheeler was replaced by Furst, Newman wasn’t expected to fall of a cliff. You could argue IT could have been forced out but he played well up until he got his legs taken out against Iowa.

We had no roster room to bring in another player. Wheeler was replaced by Furst, Newman wasn’t expected to fall of a cliff. You could argue IT could have been forced out but he played well up until he got his legs taken out against Iowa.
Painter recruited Mareon Jackson, But with the Minutes returning it means that its harder to get a transfer plus he was going to be more selective since they wouldn't get minutes if they aren't great.

I think I read or heard folks taking pride in being the only Sweet Sixteen team not to take a transfer. I looked at it a little differently. I thought maybe its a good idea to take a transfer if you want to make the Sweet Sixteen.

Would have been hard to take a transfer last year as we had returning starters at all positions, but this year is a little different. While we have a lot of guys at the 1, 2 and 3 already, I think all three starting spots are up for grabs and the right transfer(s) could come in and average 30 to 35 minutes. We don't need more bodies so I'm not for just taking a transfer for the sake of taking a transfer, but if there is a guy who is clearly an upgrade, I'm all in.

Reactions: Poprudy
All of this is fact.

I think I read or heard folks taking pride in being the only Sweet Sixteen team not to take a transfer. I looked at it a little differently. I thought maybe its a good idea to take a transfer if you want to make the Sweet Sixteen.

Would have been hard to take a transfer last year as we had returning starters at all positions, but this year is a little different. While we have a lot of guys at the 1, 2 and 3 already, I think all three starting spots are up for grabs and the right transfer(s) could come in and average 30 to 35 minutes. We don't need more bodies so I'm not for just taking a transfer for the sake of taking a transfer, but if there is a guy who is clearly an upgrade, I'm all in.
We had a massive hole to fill at the guard position last year. A spot playing next to Ivey was available if Painter would have hit the portal hard.

We had a massive hole to fill at the guard position last year. A spot playing next to Ivey was available if Painter would have hit the portal hard.
Saying massive hole is looking at it from today's perspective rather than last offseason. Drop off from Newman and post-Iowa injury IT makes it look a lot worse than it did from last offseason and even during non-conference play

Saying massive hole is looking at it from today's perspective rather than last offseason. Drop off from Newman and post-Iowa injury IT makes it look a lot worse than it did from last offseason and even during non-conference play
Disagree. Besides Ivey, we didn't have another guard who could penetrate, create, get teams into rotations, etc. SS, EH, IT and BN were all essentially 3 pt shooters, not ball handlers.

Disagree. Besides Ivey, we didn't have another guard who could penetrate, create, get teams into rotations, etc. SS, EH, IT and BN were all essentially 3 pt shooters, not ball handlers.
I mean that's fair I guess but a "massive hole" would be not having EH or IT on the team, like this offseason. No player that would have those abilities would have wanted to come and try and battle for a spot with two established guards on the team. A guard that has those abilities is going to want to go to a place where they are "the guy" and that would have never happened here.

We don't know if we recruited anyone from the portal or not last season but with such a full roster it was going to be hard to get a great addition, especially when you don't anticipate players who produced last season to fall off a cliff in terms of production this season.

Bone fish spends enormous amounts of his time using his 20-20 hindsight binoculars. He finds any alternative action that Coach Painter might have done and decides that must have been the difference between winning/losing our last game.

That last game is on Painter in my opinion. The team had more than enough talent to win. Painter failed to get the team motivated, and didn’t have them execute a game plan that ensured a win. Neither of those aspects are addressed by getting some slump from the magical portal.

:cool:

Bone fish spends enormous amounts of his time using his 20-20 hindsight binoculars. He finds any alternative action that Coach Painter might have done and decides that must have been the difference between winning/losing our last game.

That last game is on Painter in my opinion. The team had more than enough talent to win. Painter failed to get the team motivated, and didn’t have them execute a game plan that ensured a win. Neither of those aspects are addressed by getting some slump from the magical portal.

Your post here is accurate until the last paragraph. The last game is on the players for turning it over and not executing the game plan. If they couldn't be bothered to be motivated with the game being what it was, then there is nothing more Painter was going to do sooner or later the players have to own the responsibility, especially once they step foot on the court.
It's on the whole team really. Players didn't execute the game plan but maybe the game plan should have changed once it became obvious what the officiating was going to be for that game. They all got it wrong at the end of the day, players didn't execute but the game plan didn't change when it became obvious that we were getting mugged and needed to settle the game down.

The coaches didn't throw the ball to the other team 17 times (although a couple were missed calls, either missed tips or fouls), but they also didn't make some adjustments to ensure we weren't going to turn it over more (sitting Ivey when he got frustrated early in the first half, getting the ball to Trevion on the block more late in the second half, having more ball handlers on the floor in the second half when the pressure ratcheted up)

It's on the whole team really. Players didn't execute the game plan but maybe the game plan should have changed once it became obvious what the officiating was going to be for that game. They all got it wrong at the end of the day, players didn't execute but the game plan didn't change when it became obvious that we were getting mugged and needed to settle the game down.

The coaches didn't throw the ball to the other team 17 times (although a couple were missed calls, either missed tips or fouls), but they also didn't make some adjustments to ensure we weren't going to turn it over more (sitting Ivey when he got frustrated early in the first half, getting the ball to Trevion on the block more late in the second half, having more ball handlers on the floor in the second half when the pressure ratcheted up)
Fair statement. I removed mine simply because it's over and done with and not worth arguing about anymore. I'm certainly not changing my stance and I doubt at this point no one else is either.

But your post here is solid.

Fair statement. I removed mine simply because it's over and done with and not worth arguing about anymore. I'm certainly not changing my stance and I doubt at this point no one else is either.

But your post here is solid.
I completely understand your point, but I feel like it's an overreaction to other people's overreaction. Painter's not absolved of all blame, but he can't be blamed for players not making fundamental plays. But you're right, it's over and done with and no one is going to be swayed one way or the other at this point.

Reactions: Level 42

naw. I was saying he needed to go to the portal this time last year. it was really clear that Hunter and IT at the point was going to be a struggle.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
I completely understand your point, but I feel like it's an overreaction to other people's overreaction. Painter's not absolved of all blame, but he can't be blamed for players not making fundamental plays. But you're right, it's over and done with and no one is going to be swayed one way or the other at this point.
But that can be said about every single coach. No coach turns it over, missing a free throw, gets beat on D. But, as the CEO of the basketball team, they get both the glory and the blame for the success or lack there of for the team.

O$U portal pickup from Wright State. Holtmann is going after the same players we are it seems. Maybe this helps us a little.

Getting Pack would be huge, but we need to get 2 solid scoring guards. Unless, EHJ is coming back.

Reactions: TX4GB
Painter can't be absolved of players not making fundamental plays, it's his damn job. It is the AD's job to hold Painter and his staff accountable. If not then you are saying it is acceptable if your teams don't play to their ability. Maybe if Painter would have benched Ivey a few more times earlier in the season he wouldn't have played like dog shit in some of the other games. Painter needs to put his big boy pants on and decide what changes need to be made regarding the staff. S&C coach needs to go, players not getting stronger and explosiveness not improving is an issue. Trevino did lose weight but Edey had better hands and was more explosive at beginning of season.

But that can be said about every single coach. No coach turns it over, missing a free throw, gets beat on D. But, as the CEO of the basketball team, they get both the glory and the blame for the success or lack there of for the team.
Coaches are paid to produce. By produce that means their teams need to perform win games. Expectations are communicated from the AD to the coach what those expectations are. If the team does not meet expectations of the coach it is his job to see that they perform to meet those expectations. So Painter is responsible at the end of the day if his team turns it over, misses free throws, doesn't box out or plays like dog shit in general. The same way he is responsible if they shoot well, defend and rebound. This is what he and the assistants are being compensated for. You can hire anyone to come in and comply with NCAA rules and finish in the bottom 4 in the BIG. Once again, I believe he is too nice to get Purdue where we want them to be. Keady always said his teams responded better to an ass chewing than praise.

Reactions: MetMyWifeAtHarrys
The last player was F Eden Ewing - no luck there. Center Nic Calasan - somewhat. Carl Landry - good luck. Roy Hairston way back. I don’t think we have had a Juco guard. I was just thinking that might be an avenue. Top rated sounds good to me.
Forwards Chuckie White and Mark Atkinson are among my favorite JUCOs.

The last player was F Eden Ewing - no luck there. Center Nic Calasan - somewhat. Carl Landry - good luck. Roy Hairston way back. I don’t think we have had a Juco guard. I was just thinking that might be an avenue. Top rated sounds good to me.
Weren’t Bryant Dillon and Tony Mayfield JUCO guards? And Tarrance Crump?

Coaches are paid to produce. By produce that means their teams need to perform win games. Expectations are communicated from the AD to the coach what those expectations are. If the team does not meet expectations of the coach it is his job to see that they perform to meet those expectations. So Painter is responsible at the end of the day if his team turns it over, misses free throws, doesn't box out or plays like dog shit in general. The same way he is responsible if they shoot well, defend and rebound. This is what he and the assistants are being compensated for. You can hire anyone to come in and comply with NCAA rules and finish in the bottom 4 in the BIG. Once again, I believe he is too nice to get Purdue where we want them to be. Keady always said his teams responded better to an ass chewing than praise.
we have not been close to bottom 4 for several years!

Reactions: BBG
Painter can't be absolved of players not making fundamental plays, it's his damn job. It is the AD's job to hold Painter and his staff accountable. If not then you are saying it is acceptable if your teams don't play to their ability. Maybe if Painter would have benched Ivey a few more times earlier in the season he wouldn't have played like dog shit in some of the other games. Painter needs to put his big boy pants on and decide what changes need to be made regarding the staff. S&C coach needs to go, players not getting stronger and explosiveness not improving is an issue. Trevino did lose weight but Edey had better hands and was more explosive at beginning of season.

You don't take you're most talented and explosive player in 20 years and bench him to teach a lesson. You coach him to maximize his talents.
With a player with Ivey's abilities, you take the good (shooting a 25 foot game winner with a guy in his face) with the bad (driving the lane and getting caught in the air) because he's going to make some plays no one else can make. And especially with this team, since no one else could create or get their own shot, it was his responsibility to have to try and make things happen.

Reactions: DAG10
You don't take you're most talented and explosive player in 20 years and bench him to teach a lesson. You coach him to maximize his talents.
With a player with Ivey's abilities, you take the good (shooting a 25 foot game winner with a guy in his face) with the bad (driving the lane and getting caught in the air) because he's going to make some plays no one else can make. And especially with this team, since no one else could create or get their own shot, it was his responsibility to have to try and make things happen.
Imagine the meltdown if Ivey had played 20 minutes and we still lost? You can't sit your lottery pick for very long in the tourney

Painter's not on the damn court. His job is to get them in position to execute, you can (and are right to) argue he didn't prepare them to the extent they should have been but throwing the ball out of bounds or straight at the other team isn't his fault or missing layups and free throws are the blame of the players and not the coach

Reactions: BBG and ChoiceBeef
I’m going to have to disagree with you on this. You can sit him down (not necessarily bench), especially early in the season. That’s just good coaching. UT benched their star PG and it changed his season.

The point has been made on this board that we may spend too many resources trying to win every regular season game. We could/maybe should lose some regular seasons games to build a tourney team.

I’m going to have to disagree with you on this. You can sit him down (not necessarily bench), especially early in the season. That’s just good coaching. UT benched their star PG and it changed his season.

The point has been made on this board that we may spend too many resources trying to win every regular season game. We could/maybe should lose some regular seasons games to build a tourney team.
I'm not saying you don't discipline the kid, but part of what made Ivey special was his ability to improvise and do things no other player on the court could. Yeh, sometimes is didn't turn out for the positive, but Painted needed to channel that ability, not stifle it. Ivey was his best when attacking, being aggressive and making things happen because a lot of times, that's what the offense needed.

Also same city of Drake Morris and Phil Dawkins.

Same city but Drake Morris went to Washington High school and at the time there was also Roosevelt high school in EC. They merged to form East Chicago Central High School.

Pete Trgovitch, Tim Stoddard , and Junior Bridgeman played together at East Chicago Washington. No surprise they won the state championship!

Same city but Drake Morris went to Washington High school and at the time there was also Roosevelt high school in EC. They merged to form East Chicago Central High School.

Pete Trgovitch, Tim Stoddard , and Junior Bridgeman played together at East Chicago Washington. No surprise they won the state championship!
Yea sir. That is what I’m saying. Who was coaching Purdue back in the early 70’s? How could Trgovich, Stoddard, Bridgeman, plus Jim Bradley from East Chicago Roosevelt not be playing for Purdue? Not to mention Banks, Hudson, and Valevicius from Hammond High and Frank Smith from Gary Emerson and on and on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT