ADVERTISEMENT

TJ Sheffield

I have to believe Purdue probably also made him a similar offer in that bell is #1 and then wright. However Purdue was smart enough to make it contingent on plan a and b. If he truly had other offers, he would have announced his other choice rather than saying nothing

Reactions: zonairish
It is hard to pass up on a 4 star, but when he steps on campus he can very possibly not crack the two deeps. He does not fit the brohm mold for outsideWR and might not even be the top 3 slot behind anthrop, Moore, and if Robinson commits he could play some slot. Tyler Hamilton may even be ahead of him for a couple years. He is a very talented player and has a chance to excel somewhere, I feel terrible he is in this situation and wish him the best of luck. I do hope he chooses Purdue though!

Reactions: TheGunner
So, we are back in the mix? I thought he was a firm ND verbal.
ND took back their commitment offer. I have to believe Purdue is in the mix, but if he was our top WR target, I would have expected him to announce his commitment to Purdue immediately following his decommitment from ND. I mean if you narrowed your list down to 4 choices and you make a decision and then they dump you, do you back to square one and make up a new top 4 before making a second decision / announcement?

I believe Purdue made him a contingent offer dependent on Bell, Robinson and Wright.

Reactions: ChuckJr
I have to believe Purdue probably also made him a similar offer in that bell is #1 and then wright. However Purdue was smart enough to make it contingent on plan a and b. If he truly had other offers, he would have announced his other choice rather than saying nothing

I have a hard time believing that we would have made TJ a "contingent" offer. Even if we get Bell, Wright, Robinson and TJ, I am sure they could all see the playing field somehow (Wright is also projected at safety as well). Last year we struggled to find WRs who could (1) get open, (2) catch and then (3) hold onto the ball, to the point where Brohm went ground chuck against against Rutgers.

(IMO, Both Frenchy and Phillips struggled mightily at times last year , and if there were better options on the bench, they should have seen the field and become receiving options, but that never happened).

Given that, it seems imperative that we find guys who can do the above and if it means bringing in 4, then so be it. Unless there is another bumper crop next year, I think Brohm has to get all the WRs he can find.

I think Brohm has asked players not to commit unless they are truly committed, and given that TJ just accepted an ND offer, it seems wise to ask TJ to wait a couple months and figure things out then commit on his OV or after. He was also rumored to be looking at Arkansas, so I think the kid needs to figure out what he wants. Just my opinion as to why TJ hasn't committed.

I have a hard time believing that we would have made TJ a "contingent" offer. Even if we get Bell, Wright, Robinson and TJ, I am sure they could all see the playing field somehow (Wright is also projected at safety as well). Last year we struggled to find WRs who could (1) get open, (2) catch and then (3) hold onto the ball, to the point where Brohm went ground chuck against against Rutgers.

(IMO, Both Frenchy and Phillips struggled mightily at times last year , and if there were better options on the bench, they should have seen the field and become receiving options, but that never happened).

Given that, it seems imperative that we find guys who can do the above and if it means bringing in 4, then so be it. Unless there is another bumper crop next year, I think Brohm has to get all the WRs he can find.

I think Brohm has asked players not to commit unless they are truly committed, and given that TJ just accepted an ND offer, it seems wise to ask TJ to wait a couple months and figure things out then commit on his OV or after. He was also rumored to be looking at Arkansas, so I think the kid needs to figure out what he wants. Just my opinion as to why TJ hasn't committed.

We dont need 5 WR in this class. We already have Rice on board.

Also, we have 4 WR coming in this year.

I think the real issue is we already have 19 commits and we're holding our remaining scholarships for certain players and Sheffield is not our plan A. With only 3-5 scholarships left, I can't see Brohm wanting to fill them all with WRs.

While Sheffield likes Purdue, I have to believe Nrohm likes Bell, Robinson and Wright more. If Bell or Weaver were to announce their commitment this week, I'm sure Brohm would accept it

We're at a point in Brohm's recruiting where being a 4star athlete may not be good enough to be one of his top targeted players. Now if this were October and guys like Robinson have committed elsewhere, I'm confident Brohm would be after Sheffield. Right now it looks like Sheffield likes Purdue but Purdue is fishing for bigger fish.

And I and many others hate a coach accepting a commitment and then later rescinding it after somebody better comes along.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
The odds we get all those guys is slim to none. If TJ is ready to commit you take him without hesitation. A bird in the hand..
With that said, having just been burned by the Domers, I'm guessing he will take a step back and no rush into his next decision.

I think the real issue is we already have 19 commits and we're holding our remaining scholarships for certain players and Sheffield is not our plan A. With only 3-5 scholarships left, I can't see Brohm wanting to fill them all with WRs.

While Sheffield likes Purdue, I have to believe Nrohm likes Bell, Robinson and Wright more. If Bell or Weaver were to announce their commitment this week, I'm sure Brohm would accept it

We're at a point in Brohm's recruiting where being a 4star athlete may not be good enough to be one of his top targeted players. Now if this were October and guys like Robinson have committed elsewhere, I'm confident Brohm would be after Sheffield. Right now it looks like Sheffield likes Purdue but Purdue is fishing for bigger fish.

And I and many others hate a coach accepting a commitment and then later rescinding it after somebody better comes along.

Mmmmm K. So we tell a 4 star WR to hold tight while we wait for others to commit (even tho this university has had maybe two 4 star WRs in the last 18 yrs, probably more like 35). As I stated before, Wright and others can play safety as well.

I think you bring in the talent and let the players compete on the practice field. Also, I could see more attrition occurring before the players arrive next season, especially given the influx of talent. I bet there are a few players at WR and DB that may begin to consider a MAC transfer if all of the projected talent shows up next spring.

Last edited:
Mmmmm K. So we tell a 4 star WR to hold tight while we wait (even tho this university has had maybe two 4 star WRs in the last 18 yrs, probably more like 35). As I stated before, Wright and others can play safety as well.

I think you bring in the talent and let the players compete on the practice field. Also, I could see more attrition occurring before the players arrive next season, especially given the influx of talent. I bet there are a few players at WR and DB that may begin to consider a MAC transfer if all of the projected talent shows up next spring.

Purdue has had five 4 star WRs since 2002.

As for taking 4 more WRs, seems like a rash move considering the size of the current class and the dire needs along both lines and in the LB core.

Also, players dont switch positions as much as they did a decade ago. Relying on that as a roster management tool died about the time tiller retired.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
I just don't believe Brohm is going to extend any more offers or accept commitments from any more players until he receives word from guys like Weaver, Bell, Robinson, Gibson, Wright, and Zimos. I also read Brohm is actively pursing another TE, OL and LB and DL.

I also can't believe Brohm will recruit more than 3-4 WRs in this class. he already has Rice. Bell is a heavy lean. I believe his next two choices would be Robinson and Wright. To me it wouldn't be logical for brohm to accept a verbal from Sheffield if he believes he has a shot of landing Bell, Robinson, and /or Wright.

Sheffield seems like a great player, but given a choice, I believe its' obvious who this board would rather have sign with Purdue. I believe it would be different if we only had 10-14 commits. but sitting at 19, brohm has to be holding several for players he's still targeting at other positions.

I think we forget Taylor, Moore and Anderson are about to arrive and make their mark on boilermaker history.

Purdue has had five 4 star WRs since 2002.

As for taking 4 more WRs, seems like a rash move considering the size of the current class and the dire needs along both lines and in the LB core.

Also, players dont switch positions as much as they did a decade ago. Relying on that as a roster management tool died about the time tiller retired.

Thanks for digging up the history.

Yes, I was incorrect, we have had 5 4-star recruits. 1 never made it thru his 1st Aug (Gordon) that's how I forgot about him. For some reason I thought Ross was a 3 star and I excluded Chambers since he was a JUCO (I guess I should have qualified my statement as being a 4-star non-JUCO recruit).

Of the four that made it on campus, they all played immediately, which would indicate the importance of getting the talent here.

I still think the idea of us getting all three of Bell, Wright and Robinson seems to be a stretch, but I'll jump for joy if it happens.

Thanks for digging up the history.

Yes, I was incorrect, we have had 5 4-star recruits. 1 never made it thru his 1st Aug (Gordon) that's how I forgot about him. For some reason I thought Ross was a 3 star and I excluded Chambers since he was a JUCO (I guess I should have qualified my statement as being a 4-star non-JUCO recruit).

Of the four that made it on campus, they all played immediately, which would indicate the importance of getting the talent here.

I still think the idea of us getting all three of Bell, Wright and Robinson seems to be a stretch, but I'll jump for joy if it happens.
I realize 247 predictors are often wrong, but as of now there are exactly 0 crystal ball predictions for Robinson to Purdue. I see he and TJ as interchangeable in this class, you take either one you can get or risk getting neither.

I realize 247 predictors are often wrong, but as of now there are exactly 0 crystal ball predictions for Robinson to Purdue. I see he and TJ as interchangeable in this class, you take either one you can get or risk getting neither.

Interchangeable? Robinson has 4.3 speed and is a running back. He has an offer from Alabama for a reason. He is a championship type playmaker. You take TJ, absolutely, but Robinson is going to be one of the best players in the nation.

You take Rice, TJ, Robinson, Bell, and Wright if they commit. Robinson can be a RB, Rice and Wright can play defense. Not to mention, Anderson can also play defense. Brohm loves competition and he won't promise touches or playing time. You want to play? Be better than the next guy. He shouldn't be turning away top 250 guys. There will be more attrition on the roster and with the current recruits.

Weaver, Graham, Bandes, Gibson, Cam Williams are the defensive priority targets not currently committed elsewhere. I think 5 spots can open up of the top guys commit. I don't think Brohm limits himself early either. Any of those guys are guys you make room for. That include the WR targets and Robinson. It would be interesting to see what Rice would do. He is good enough to play WR, for sure, but he could also switch to defense and be elite as well. If Brohm did make promises, I would curious to know what they were.

Interesting. Why? Seemed to be a lever any school that isn't getting elite talent should pull, with a long track record of success going back to the 80's Hurricanes

Interesting. Why? Seemed to be a lever any school that isn't getting elite talent should pull, with a long track record of success going back to the 80's Hurricanes

Players are different. Why stop playing a position you like when you can just transfer to a school with a friendlier depth chart

Players are different. Why stop playing a position you like when you can just transfer to a school with a friendlier depth chart

Allstott is a prime example. For the past two years I speculated as to what other positions he could possibly play. And the reply from this board was QB. So rather than trying to convert to play a different position, he transferred. As did Appleby and Etling and for that matter - Hunter to NW. .

Did Henry really enjoy success playing defense? Will Sparks excel and become a starting WR ? Robinson switched positions. Bailey switched positions. there are plenty of other examples.

Brohm has recruited several players who played multiple positions in high school. but the question remains are they as good at the second position as they were at their primary recruited one? is Anderson as good of a DB as he is a WR ? the same could be asked of Mauney. he played both RB and LB in high school. Robinson played RB/WR. Rice played WR/DB.

I kind of laughed when Young committed to OSU and said he was going to play LB - a position he's never played before.

I guess it's a fair assumption these players could play a different position than the one they were recruited for. but what is the likelihood? yes, it does happen. But what is the success?

Allstott is a prime example. For the past two years I speculated as to what other positions he could possibly play. And the reply from this board was QB. So rather than trying to convert to play a different position, he transferred. As did Appleby and Etling and for that matter - Hunter to NW. .

Did Henry really enjoy success playing defense? Will Sparks excel and become a starting WR ? Robinson switched positions. Bailey switched positions. there are plenty of other examples.

Brohm has recruited several players who played multiple positions in high school. but the question remains are they as good at the second position as they were at their primary recruited one? is Anderson as good of a DB as he is a WR ? the same could be asked of Mauney. he played both RB and LB in high school. Robinson played RB/WR. Rice played WR/DB.

I kind of laughed when Young committed to OSU and said he was going to play LB - a position he's never played before.

I guess it's a fair assumption these players could play a different position than the one they were recruited for. but what is the likelihood? yes, it does happen. But what is the success?
Bailey? Going from SLB to MLB isnt really a position change.

Which Robinson? Gelen didnt really make a massive switch either. Just moved inside. Sean Robinson made a hell of a position change.

Did Henry really enjoy success playing defense? Will Sparks excel and become a starting WR ?

I think its very likely that recruits can and traditionally have excelled at new positions.
Tiller came in and by the end of his initial spring in 97' switched several guys including Reeves from QB to LB, Light from TE to OT,Okobi OG to C and frosh recruit, Gil Gardner that next yr came in as WR and became an All-B1G LB.
When I was in school, Keena Turner was a frosh TE under Agase and Jim Young decided to make him a future All Pro DE. Ninkovich was a JUCO TE.

I was surprised when Brohm arrived, very few if anyone switched positions last spring after he evaluated the roster?

As far as Rob Henry is concerned, he was never going to be an effective passing QB-He was recruited by Hope to be a run first spread option QB who might become successful in that offense-He had a throwing motion and delivery that reminded me of Shawn McCarthy in 1988.

I think its very likely that recruits can and traditionally have excelled at new positions.
Tiller came in and by the end of his initial spring in 97' switched several guys including Reeves from QB to LB, Light from TE to OT,Okobi OG to C and frosh recruit, Gil Gardner that next yr came in as WR and became an All-B1G LB.
When I was in school, Keena Turner was a frosh TE under Agase and Jim Young decided to make him a future All Pro DE. Ninkovich was a JUCO TE.

I was surprised when Brohm arrived, very few if anyone switched positions last spring after he evaluated the roster?

As far as Rob Henry is concerned, he was never going to be an effective passing QB-He was recruited by Hope to be a run first spread option QB who might become successful in that offense-He had a throwing motion and delivery that reminded me of Shawn McCarthy in 1988.
Hope recruited Henry to be a safety. During his second fall camp (2010) he was practicing with the safeties. Ter Bush being academically ineligible caused him to switch back.

Bailey? Going from SLB to MLB isnt really a position change.

Which Robinson? Gelen didnt really make a massive switch either. Just moved inside. Sean Robinson made a hell of a position change.

Jallow switched from safety to LB before his dismissal. Sparks switched Fromm QB to WR. Gelen switching from OLB to an DE is still a move. The incoming transfer from WKU is switching from Center to guard.

Here is the thing... they can transfer away and it doesn't hurt Purdue. If a player comes here without any promises and can't crack the depth chart at the position they want, the transfer of a player not playing doesn't hurt. It's worth loading up on top 250 guys, unless of course promises were made. It seems Grant was promised to stay at safety, and I'm good with that. You take Grant any way you can get him.

Jallow switched from safety to LB before his dismissal. Sparks switched Fromm QB to WR. Gelen switching from OLB to an DE is still a move. The incoming transfer from WKU is switching from Center to guard.

Here is the thing... they can transfer away and it doesn't hurt Purdue. If a player comes here without any promises and can't crack the depth chart at the position they want, the transfer of a player not playing doesn't hurt. It's worth loading up on top 250 guys, unless of course promises were made. It seems Grant was promised to stay at safety, and I'm good with that. You take Grant any way you can get him.
You missed the “as much” part of my statement.

Players do move. It doesn’t happen as much

You missed the “as much” part of my statement.

Players do move. It doesn’t happen as much

Well I listed 3. I suggested three players have the potential to move in Robinson to RB(who actually wouldn't be moving, he is listed as a running back), Rice to LB, Anderson to DB. Then you have Moore, Taylor, Sheffield, Bonner, Bell and Wright. Taylor and Wright are big would would be more like TEs than WRs.

That's assuming he lands the remaining top "WR" spots. In a pass happy offense, that isn't a bad thing. Especially if some don't pan out.

I am not saying those guys are moving positions either. Anderson and Rice are brought in to be WRs. I am just saying that you shouldn't be turning down 4.4 speed and a top 250 guy when nothing has been proven yet.

I was thinking more of what Gelen Robinson played in high school, and what he switched to playing at Purdue.. Wasn't he a LB in high school ?

if you want, you can find many situations where a player switched positions from what they played in high school and also in college. Safeties becoming linebackers; cornerbacks becoming safeties. Linebackers becoming Rbs. Worship played LB in high school.

A question I would have is if Brohm were to somehow lure RB James away from OSU, what would Mauey do ? Would he be satisfied with being a second stringer his entire college career? Would he revert to playing LB which he also plays in high school? or would he decommit and look elsewhere to play RB. the same applies to Robinson. if brohm were to sign Bell, Wright and Sheffield, would Robinson line up as and become a RB ? I'd love to see Robinson as a RB. but my name isn't Robinson or Brohm..

there are many other possibilities and examples of players switching positions from high school to college and also while at college. and from college to the pros. Are they exceptions to the rule? yes. But, does it happen? yes.

I'm just not sure how many of those conversions ended up as a successful transformation.. if I were a coach and wanted a LB or Dl or RB, I'd recruit a player at that position rather than recruiting a more talented player, and hoping I could transform him.

Hope recruited Henry to be a safety. During his second fall camp (2010) he was practicing with the safeties. Ter Bush being academically ineligible caused him to switch back.
I don't believe that. Why was he the scout team QB during his redshirt yr 09'? He lead the team in rushing and passing in 10' as QB? Start out 11' as starter at QB till season ending injury. Split time in 12' w/Marve. Only when DH arrived in 13' did he play in a game at S.
If Hope intended to play him at S, he never followed thru when he coached at PU?

I don't believe that. Why was he the scout team QB during his redshirt yr 09'? He lead the team in rushing and passing in 10' as QB? Start out 11' as starter at QB till season ending injury. Split time in 12' w/Marve. Only when DH arrived in 13' did he play in a game at S.
If Hope intended to play him at S, he never followed thru when he coached at PU?

Hope couldn’t. Once he had that injury scare in 10, he was gunshy about falling short at the position

I repeat. Prior to the 10 season, Henry was practicing on defense. Ter bush being ineligible necessitated a switch back during camp.

Hope couldn’t. Once he had that injury scare in 10, he was gunshy about falling short at the position

I repeat. Prior to the 10 season, Henry was practicing on defense. Ter bush being ineligible necessitated a switch back during camp.
Not questioning that he worked at S in fall camp.
I am only contesting the assertion that Hope recruited him to play S. I think after throwing for over 4,500 all - purpose yds in HS at Ocala FL, both expectations were that he was coming in as a QB.
Besides, even w/all of the injuries in 2010, Hope still played Sean Robinson and Justin Siller in some late season games. He also had Keith Smith still on roster as emergency QB that year.

as per Sheffield, I realize he is probably not Brohm's #1 WR recruiting target. I have to believe Bell is followed by Robinson and Wriight. But Sheffield is talented. In an effort to bring the best talent to Purdue, as a coach, would you go to Anderson and Rice and say, for the good of the team, I need you to play defense and allow Sheffield, play WR ? or do you say, I already promised these other players they could play WR, so rather than adding more players to the same position and trying to convert existing players, you just say sorry, I have X amount of scholarships, and the remaining ones need to be used elsewhere?

I ask this with the knowledge that Rice and Anderson are actually better at their respective defensive positions than several other current commitments.

It is not uncommon for HS QBs to switch in college. For several teams, they use their best athletes at QB in HS, even Wright has been used as a QB at Christian Academy. If we are lucky enough to get him, I guarantee he will be playing WR for us.

Not questioning that he worked at S in fall camp.
I am only contesting the assertion that Hope recruited him to play S. I think after throwing for over 4,500 all - purpose yds in HS at Ocala FL, both expectations were that he was coming in as a QB.
Besides, even w/all of the injuries in 2010, Hope still played Sean Robinson and Justin Siller in some late season games. He also had Keith Smith still on roster as emergency QB that year.

Hope has to play Robinson and siller because Henry damn near lost his finger after the osu game.

Smith tore his acl early in 2010. We were literally playing the starting wr (siller) at one point

Hope has to play Robinson and siller because Henry damn near lost his finger after the osu game.

Smith tore his acl early in 2010. We were literally playing the starting wr (siller) at one point
This thread only reinforces my opinion that we need at least 6 QB's on the roster-despite what Wolegib might think......

Damn there is a lot of misinformation in this thread:

Sparks started games last year before hurting his ankle and hobbling him...his switch is to a more successful position should be evident for a P5 player. By the time he leaves, he’ll be a commodity most programs in the conference would want.

Henry switched as a senior in his final year of playing to get himself on the field at a position he likely could have been very good at had he stayed there for the entirety of his career...much like Ray Williams.
Henry was never recruited to Purdue as a safety. He was promised the opportunity to play QB, which is why Purdue landed him. No other P5 program wanted him anywhere near the QB position...even those running option style offenses. He would have made a damn good safety at his size and speed but chose to try to play QB. Again, similar to Ray Williams coming to Purdue to play WR. A lot of big programs wanted him to play CB (the position he ended up getting a sniff from the Saints before being cut in the final cuts) but chose Purdue because Joe knew he could start at Purdue as a WR.

The WKU transfer has played guard and there aren’t a lot of players in the country that could transfer and unseat Barron (who could make a mid season award list and likely plays on Sundays). The switch from G to C and back is likely one of the easiest in football...it’s why you see guards filling for in when a C goes down.

Damn there is a lot of misinformation in this thread:

Sparks started games last year before hurting his ankle and hobbling him...his switch is to a more successful position should be evident for a P5 player. By the time he leaves, he’ll be a commodity most programs in the conference would want.

Henry switched as a senior in his final year of playing to get himself on the field at a position he likely could have been very good at had he stayed there for the entirety of his career...much like Ray Williams.
Henry was never recruited to Purdue as a safety. He was promised the opportunity to play QB, which is why Purdue landed him. No other P5 program wanted him anywhere near the QB position...even those running option style offenses. He would have made a damn good safety at his size and speed but chose to try to play QB. Again, similar to Ray Williams coming to Purdue to play WR. A lot of big programs wanted him to play CB (the position he ended up getting a sniff from the Saints before being cut in the final cuts) but chose Purdue because Joe knew he could start at Purdue as a WR.

The WKU transfer has played guard and there aren’t a lot of players in the country that could transfer and unseat Barron (who could make a mid season award list and likely plays on Sundays). The switch from G to C and back is likely one of the easiest in football...it’s why you see guards filling for in when a C goes down.

The coaches looked at Henry as an Athlete, but were willing to give him a shot for a year at QB. Kind of like they did with Aloyis Gray and Gregory. Henry was practicing with the safeties prior to his freshman year. There was even a quote in one of the 2011 previews where he mentions practicing on the other side the same time the year before.

This thread only reinforces my opinion that we need at least 6 QB's on the roster-despite what Wolegib might think......

we already have 9 QBs on our roster / practice squad. How many more do you believe we need? Sindelar, Blough, Plummer, Sipe, Sparks, Banks, Corollo, Northern, and O'Connell just to name a few.

we already have 9 QBs on our roster / practice squad. How many more do you believe we need? Sindelar, Blough, Plummer, Sipe, Sparks, Banks, Corollo, Northern, and O'Connell just to name a few.
You can never have enough QB's (best athletes) that can be converted to other positions of need. You just need the player to be flexible enough to make the switch. Coach Joe Tiller was great at making those conversions.

Robinson is a slot receiver. He and Moore do the same things
With the NFL conveting guys like Kamara that can both run and catch really well you can't say a guy does just one thing well. The NFL is valuing position flexibility out of their offensive play makers. Robinson looks like a hybrid RB/WR to me and would be a ridiculous get. Just my opinion

With the NFL conveting guys like Kamara that can both run and catch really well you can't say a guy does just one thing well. The NFL is valuing position flexibility out of their offensive play makers. Robinson looks like a hybrid RB/WR to me and would be a ridiculous get. Just my opinion

Great get for sure, but I doubt he would take more than 5 handoffs a game. Similar skill set to Moore

ADVERTISEMENT