ADVERTISEMENT

TJ Sheffield

Cam Williams is not going to IU or Bell. Tracy was stuck with IU only after Iowa and Purdue cooled on him

I don't think Bell will end up at IU, but they made his top 5 and he has a lot of his friends pulling him to go to IU.

I don't see how you can say Cam will for sure not go to IU. Look at his posts. He is incredibly high on IU.

Still no bat signal. I am going with my original guess of Arkansas. Seems likely one of their other WRs decomits? We had offered TQ Jackson. 6'2 and will be very good at the next level. Maybe he leaves and we get him?

I never thought we were going to get him, but we made his final cut. He wasn't one to top his hand on twitter, so I was pleasantly surprised when we did make the cut. He has shown really well at camps too. Who knows, maybe even if he picks Arkansas now, we can flip him in the end?

I expect our offense to look a lot better. Should continue to be very attractive to incoming recruits.

I don't think Bell will end up at IU, but they made his top 5 and he has a lot of his friends pulling him to go to IU.

I don't see how you can say Cam will for sure not go to IU. Look at his posts. He is incredibly high on IU.

He’s also incredibly high on Purdue.

Still no bat signal. I am going with my original guess of Arkansas. Seems likely one of their other WRs decomits? We had offered TQ Jackson. 6'2 and will be very good at the next level. Maybe he leaves and we get him?

I never thought we were going to get him, but we made his final cut. He wasn't one to top his hand on twitter, so I was pleasantly surprised when we did make the cut. He has shown really well at camps too. Who knows, maybe even if he picks Arkansas now, we can flip him in the end?

I expect our offense to look a lot better. Should continue to be very attractive to incoming recruits.
You are not well-informed about recruiting. Seems like it doesn’t matter what recruits themselves say about recruiting and Purdue - you just ignore their comments and assume Purdue won’t land them.

You are not well-informed about recruiting. Seems like it doesn’t matter what recruits themselves say about recruiting and Purdue - you just ignore their comments and assume Purdue won’t land them.

I thought football was different because it isn't Painter. Didn't think the same rules applied. My apologies. Won't happen again.

I don’t think anyone was surprised. I guess what does surprise me is that all these WRs have been committing to other places with us definitely having a creative offense and favorable offense for WRs. Hopefully, we can get Bell, Wright, and/or Robinson.

I wish him well. brohm isn't going to win every recruiting battle. but unlike previous coaches, he's targeting elite athletes, and competing against the best schools in the country for their services. the days of stealing a recruit from Toledo, Akron, Idaho Tech, Ball State, Central Michigan and Middle Tennessee St at Martin are hopefully behind us.

I don’t think anyone was surprised. I guess what does surprise me is that all these WRs have been committing to other places with us definitely having a creative offense and favorable offense for WRs. Hopefully, we can get Bell, Wright, and/or Robinson.
WR is a position we shouldn’t have to worry about it. We will get our share.

I'd put the odds of Sheffield signing with ND about as equal as Purdue. He's still taking visits and ND likes other WRs better. ND only have 4-5 spots left and sounds like Sheffield wanted to grab a spot before it was full. But ND only wants 2 WRs in this class and Sheffield is not as high as 5-6 others on their board.

I'd put the odds of Sheffield signing with ND about as equal as Purdue. He's still taking visits and ND likes other WRs better. ND only have 4-5 spots left and sounds like Sheffield wanted to grab a spot before it was full. But ND only wants 2 WRs in this class and Sheffield is not as high as 5-6 others on their board.

Purdue could fill up at WR just as easily. As good as Sheffield will be (5'10 legit 4.4 speed), Purdue is after some incredibly talented WRs. Not sure what if there is a hard cap in number of WRs they take, or the order of preference though.

i still think Purdue will wait until the fall for their next commit. I imagine there will be a final shake up before the early signing period too. Hopefully Purdue is rolling at that point.

Regardless of how Purdue finishes the season, CJB will deserve a raise if he can keep a top 25 class. Love this '19 class.

Purdue could fill up at WR just as easily. As good as Sheffield will be (5'10 legit 4.4 speed), Purdue is after some incredibly talented WRs. Not sure what if there is a hard cap in number of WRs they take, or the order of preference though.

i still think Purdue will wait until the fall for their next commit. I imagine there will be a final shake up before the early signing period too. Hopefully Purdue is rolling at that point.

Regardless of how Purdue finishes the season, CJB will deserve a raise if he can keep a top 25 class. Love this '19 class.

If Brohm adds Weaver and that DB from Michigan and keeps the rest of the class intact, that might be the best class since early Tiller years.

If Brohm adds Weaver and that DB from Michigan and keeps the rest of the class intact, that might be the best class since early Tiller years.

I think CJB is looking to add about 4-5 more. Have to keep what we already have too. I really like all of the remaining targets. Weaver and Graham are very good, so I would agree with your statement. Could use another linebacker and a DT, so Cam / Zimos and Gibson are also high priority. Add those 4 and that is an unbelievable class.

Offense could still use more playmakers. I would be thrilled with Wandale, Bell, and Wright. Find away to land those 7 players, and that's a top 15 class. One that is so complete, anything less than playing for at least one conference championship would be dissapointing.

I think CJB is looking to add about 4-5 more. Have to keep what we already have too. I really like all of the remaining targets. Weaver and Graham are very good, so I would agree with your statement. Could use another linebacker and a DT, so Cam / Zimos and Gibson are also high priority. Add those 4 and that is an unbelievable class.

Offense could still use more playmakers. I would be thrilled with Wandale, Bell, and Wright. Find away to land those 7 players, and that's a top 15 class. One that is so complete, anything less than playing for at least one conference championship would be dissapointing.
good post, we'll get our share of receivers due to our offense, I'm more locked in on guys like Gibson, Weaver, and Zimos.

Reactions: SKYDOG and ChuckJr
I wish him well. brohm isn't going to win every recruiting battle. but unlike previous coaches, he's targeting elite athletes, and competing against the best schools in the country for their services. the days of stealing a recruit from Toledo, Akron, Idaho Tech, Ball State, Central Michigan and Middle Tennessee St at Martin are hopefully behind us.

Those days aren't over yet. One of our recruits for 2019 had offers only from MAC schools:

One of Tiller's best weapons was a recruit we stole from a MAC school who went on to an NFL career

T.J. Sheffield isn't a big loss. We weren't aggressively recruiting anyway. Also I am fine with the less-recruited players, as long as they have talent that fits Brohm's system or can fill out.

T.J. Sheffield isn't a big loss. We weren't aggressively recruiting anyway. Also I am fine with the less-recruited players, as long as they have talent that fits Brohm's system or can fill out.
There's talk on the ND board that he may not have a scholarship once the rest of the class gets filled in. None of his finalists seemed to have been actively recruiting him. Kind of one of those "we'll accept your commitment but if someone better commits you should probably look elsewhere" kind of deals.

There's talk on the ND board that he may not have a scholarship once the rest of the class gets filled in. None of his finalists seemed to have been actively recruiting him. Kind of one of those "we'll accept your commitment but if someone better commits you should probably look elsewhere" kind of deals.

Kind of mind boggling since he is 5'10 ish and 4.4 speed. He showed well at camps too.

Recruiting is crazy with all of the behind the scenes stuff. Take Brock for example. An incredibly talented kid and all of a sudden Purdue and Iowa backed off and he ended up committing to Iowa State. 2 of his top 5 canceled visits on him. Brock has the potential to be a star.

Sheffield should be good if there isn't something else going on with him. Decent size for having legit 4.4 speed. Showed decent hands from all that I have seen. Somebody may back into a very solid player.

TJ, committed to the Irish. However, it was completely unexpected. To my understanding Notre Dame was not pushing hard for him and when he committed he talked about taking other visits. So it was to me a silly soft commit. Apparently, the coaching staff basically told him we will accept the commit however, if you visit other schools we will pull the offer. Or something to that effect. My guess is if Purdue wants him they will have to push for him. I think the ND coaches like him but I think they liked other better

Funny, out of the 17 players they have on their commitment board, zero of them are WRs. Two ATHs who are both 3*. Stay the course. Let's get Bell and Wright. Fingers crossed.

TJ, committed to the Irish. However, it was completely unexpected. To my understanding Notre Dame was not pushing hard for him and when he committed he talked about taking other visits. So it was to me a silly soft commit. Apparently, the coaching staff basically told him we will accept the commit however, if you visit other schools we will pull the offer. Or something to that effect. My guess is if Purdue wants him they will have to push for him. I think the ND coaches like him but I think they liked other better

So, you offer a kid, he accepts, and you're not even smart enough to know you don't want him?

Especially after establishing that long term commitment?

I know this will be disregarded as "typical recruiting practices", but that's pretty sh*tty, that you can't even let the kid know on the phone, you have to let him tell the world, then tell the world it's all a big mistake.

Karma is on the move, and I hear she's a b*tch when she arrives. . .

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
The left field commitment seemed odd to me.

I thought this would unfold the same way but during/after the season.

I think we can get both Bell and Wright and maybe we won’t even need Sheffield.

The left field commitment seemed odd to me.

I thought this would unfold the same way but during/after the season.

I think we can get both Bell and Wright and maybe we won’t even need Sheffield.

TJ is 5'10 with 4.4 speed. Plays fast with good hands, route running, and body control. I can't tell who Brohm is pushing harder for to be honest. All three have been fairly quiet about their recruitment on social media. Bell is the most vocal, and it's still a toss up. For Bell, the Iowa ties are there, he has a lot of people/friends pulling for him to go to IU, and OSU is kind of up in the air until their top targets decide.

Purdue has a good shot at all 3 because of the offense that Brohm runs and their is only one WR on the roster ranked higher/similar to them and that's Moore. He is a smaller speedster, which isn't compareable. I could see CJB going up and taking Rice, Bell, Wright, TJ, and Wandale. Wandale can play RB and play the same role as Moore. Rice is going to be given a crack at WR with his size and athleticism, but has the size to play defense (same with Anderson from the '18 class). Wright is a little shorter than Taylor from last year, but has really been impressive. Can play TE or defense. Bell is an absolute stud at WR. Bonner would likely switch with him in similar usage. Bell is a great athlete and is a very good hooper. His team won state in basketball and football, so ya, you want a guy like that.

Brohm loves competition and depth and I would be shocked if he turned away a guy like TJ with all that potential. It could happen of course, but wow can you imagine if three years ago somebody told us we would turn away a top 250 kid? It seems like madness to me! Purdue seems to be glut with talent at the WR position and I don't hate it. A lot of those guys are elite athletes than can play multiple positions.

I say he would absolutely take TJ if he wanted to be a Boiler. Maybe we will see a bat signal?

Some of you predicted this could happen. ND has turned away a couple kids now. They must be cocky huh?

Reactions: pboiler18
Some of you predicted this could happen. ND has turned away a couple kids now. They must be cocky huh?

Which is funny, because BK could be on the hot seat. A lot of ND fans have been calling for his job. That seat could get warm this year if they don't live up to lofty expectations.

So, you offer a kid, he accepts, and you're not even smart enough to know you don't want him?

Especially after establishing that long term commitment?

I know this will be disregarded as "typical recruiting practices", but that's pretty sh*tty, that you can't even let the kid know on the phone, you have to let him tell the world, then tell the world it's all a big mistake.

Karma is on the move, and I hear she's a b*tch when she arrives. . .

actually I have found out more. This what I know from as much inside information as I could get but there is more to the story that I probably will never know. No speculation. Notre Dame, OSU and another top football programs offered him on a contingent basis. meaning if X, Y, or Z happen we will accept you in our program. The type of offers that players get from notre dame are we will accept you regardless as long as admissions approves you. 2nd we will accept you as long as we do not fill up at position x. 3rd we will accept you as long as player A, B, or C, does not commit first. those players are told this. Now what i heard is one of the coaches screwed up and verbally accepted him even though Notre Dame has not been in contact with in 5-6 months. By the way OSU likewise had him as a continent acceptance meaning if player a or b or c did not accept first we would accept you at that point. This apparently is very common. I think ND should have handled this much better but there is nothing one can do it about it There is more information out there that will never be said. so there are things the coaches and admin know and reporters know that are off the record that we will never hear. I was told that also.

Everyone on the paid and free boards has been debating this issue and the majority think how it was mishandled and they probably should have honored the commitment

actually I have found out more. This what I know from as much inside information as I could get but there is more to the story that I probably will never know. No speculation. Notre Dame, OSU and another top football programs offered him on a contingent basis. meaning if X, Y, or Z happen we will accept you in our program. The type of offers that players get from notre dame are we will accept you regardless as long as admissions approves you. 2nd we will accept you as long as we do not fill up at position x. 3rd we will accept you as long as player A, B, or C, does not commit first. those players are told this. Now what i heard is one of the coaches screwed up and verbally accepted him even though Notre Dame has not been in contact with in 5-6 months. By the way OSU likewise had him as a continent acceptance meaning if player a or b or c did not accept first we would accept you at that point. This apparently is very common. I think ND should have handled this much better but there is nothing one can do it about it There is more information out there that will never be said. so there are things the coaches and admin know and reporters know that are off the record that we will never hear. I was told that also.

Everyone on the paid and free boards has been debating this issue and the majority think how it was mishandled and they probably should have honored the commitment

TJ is good enough to play and be a star for a lot of different programs. The staff mishandled it because it all went public. TJ mishandled it because in his initial commitment he said he would still be taking officials. There was obviously a lack of communication between the two parties. That tends to back the theory that they didn't remain in regular contact.

TJ obviously felt slighted and vocalized it in his decomittment post. I knew Notre Dame was going to pull the scholarship, and honestly it helps TJ that they did it now. Allows him to take his officials and get back in contact with the other teams now. I think Arkansas and Purdue would both take him, but I don't know that either would wait around, so he will benefit from making a decision sooner rather than later.

I think communication was the issue. TJ didn't tell them when he verbally committed he planned to keep looking and Notre Dame didn't make their plans clear to TJ. TJ looks a little foolish, but Notre Dame came out looking like the bad guy and that is fine by me.

TJ is good enough to play and be a star for a lot of different programs. The staff mishandled it because it all went public. TJ mishandled it because in his initial commitment he said he would still be taking officials. There was obviously a lack of communication between the two parties. That tends to back the theory that they didn't remain in regular contact.

TJ obviously felt slighted and vocalized it in his decomittment post. I knew Notre Dame was going to pull the scholarship, and honestly it helps TJ that they did it now. Allows him to take his officials and get back in contact with the other teams now. I think Arkansas and Purdue would both take him, but I don't know that either would wait around, so he will benefit from making a decision sooner rather than later.

I think communication was the issue. TJ didn't tell them when he verbally committed he planned to keep looking and Notre Dame didn't make their plans clear to TJ. TJ looks a little foolish, but Notre Dame came out looking like the bad guy and that is fine by me.

I agree

Is that what the ND folks are saying?

i believe that to be the case. He is a good player based on his film. i personally thought he would be a good fit at Notre Dame. That said if not ND I hope he commits to Purdue. Good luck to him. That is of course you guys want him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT